Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arizona 32, Houston 0?

oldunclemark

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romeo Crennel is one of the most overrated under achieving defensive coaches in the league with a lot of hype.

For the love of .... Crennel was the DC for the Pats during all three championship years during which the team was led primarily by its defense to those rings. He is also credited along with Bill with coming up with one of the best defensive game plans in Super Bowl history shutting down the Rams "greatest show on turf" offense.

What makes you think Fitz will be the QB for very long?

I have nothing against the Texans. I enjoy the competition the Colts have had with your team over the years but honestly if Fitz is not the starter than your team will be in the same position it was last year with just a few wins. O'Brien needs to develop Fitz for this year into a solid QB that does not turn the ball over which he is prone to do. You don't want to see Keenum again do you? And Savage is a work in a progress at this point. Everything in the NFL hinges on the QB position as you found out last year so your success will largely be determined on whether O'Brien can turn Fitz into a legit QB. A tall order but O'Brien is an offensive guy so I give him a punchers chance.

I have nothing against the Texans. I enjoy the competition the Colts have had with your team over the years but honestly if Fitz is not the starter than your team will be in the same position it was last year with just a few wins. O'Brien needs to develop Fitz for this year into a solid QB that does not turn the ball over which he is prone to do. You don't want to see Keenum again do you? And Savage is a work in a progress at this point. Everything in the NFL hinges on the QB position as you found out last year so your success will largely be determined on whether O'Brien can turn Fitz into a legit QB. A tall order but O'Brien is an offensive guy so I give him a punchers chance.

Actually, I am a Colts fan. I just admire Houston's draft and I never thought they were as bad as they showed last year and they will have a big bounce this year. The QB was not the only problem and it is not the only remedy. There were no franchise QBs in this last draft and Houston refused to get caught up in the hype and signed the best football player in the draft. They got three starters in that draft. Fitz is a stop gap until they get a shot at a franchise QB if they don't already have one in Savage. I too give them a chance and they will cause other teams lots of headaches with Clowney, Watt and Nix.

What 4th round qb had a successful rookie season?

That depends on how you define a successful rookie season. Tom Brady was a sixth rounder and he moved up the charts and eventually became a starter. I consider that a successful rookie season. Wouldn't you. The point I was making is that there are lots of QBs who were taken in later rounds who became good or even great QBs. Some weren't drafted at all (Kurt Warner). So, it may take five or six games but if Savage became the starter then, I would call that a successful rookie season.

That depends on how you define a successful rookie season. Tom Brady was a sixth rounder and he moved up the charts and eventually became a starter. I consider that a successful rookie season. Wouldn't you. The point I was making is that there are lots of QBs who were taken in later rounds who became good or even great QBs. Some weren't drafted at all (Kurt Warner). So, it may take five or six games but if Savage became the starter then, I would call that a successful rookie season.

I'm not saying those guys can't become successful eventually. But if Savage becomes the starter this season, then the Texans as a team, didn't have many wins at that point

For the love of .... Crennel was the DC for the Pats during all three championship years during which the team was led primarily by its defense to those rings. He is also credited along with Bill with coming up with one of the best defensive game plans in Super Bowl history shutting down the Rams "greatest show on turf" offense.

Tell that to marshal Faulk

Use logic, that one does not.

I'm not saying those guys can't become successful eventually. But if Savage becomes the starter this season, then the Texans as a team, didn't have many wins at that point

I mean, it really depends on circumstance.  If they turn to Savage mid-season because the other QBs are failing and "we've got nothing to lose with the rookie", then that's not a great marker for personal success at all and often seems to bode poorly for young QBs.  If someone goes down and Savage comes in off the bench and impresses, that's definitely a great sign.  If he improves every week in practice and eventually they decide he's their best option and bump him up then that's also good... but with coachspeak being what it is it'll be hard to tell if this is really the case or they're actually back at that first scenario.

Uh....what?

Let me help you with that. I know Pete had been the NFL before. I think Houston's coach is much better and will be much better than the Colts coach. I like the Chuck Strong stuff but I think he is limited as a head coach. Yes, Ariens got him to one 11-5 season and he got another last year but that is more Andrew Luck that it is Pagano. I think there are some flaws in is game coaching and I am not a big fan of his overall vision for the team. This team lives or dies with Andrew Luck because there is not a lot of talent on the team outside of him and his receivers. So, why shackle Andrew with a pitiful attempt to be a power running team and let him be what he is, one of the best QBs in the NFL. Turn him loose ala Brees and Manning. At least that is how I see it.

Let me help you with that. I know Pete had been the NFL before. I think Houston's coach is much better and will be much better than the Colts coach. I like the Chuck Strong stuff but I think he is limited as a head coach. Yes, Ariens got him to one 11-5 season and he got another last year but that is more Andrew Luck that it is Pagano. I think there are some flaws in is game coaching and I am not a big fan of his overall vision for the team. This team lives or dies with Andrew Luck because there is not a lot of talent on the team outside of him and his receivers. So, why shackle Andrew with a pitiful attempt to be a power running team and let him be what he is, one of the best QBs in the NFL. Turn him loose ala Brees and Manning. At least that is how I see it.

Every team with a franchise QB lives and dies with the QB.

Every team with a franchise QB lives and dies with the QB.

Oh? I see, a Super Bowl has never been  a journeyman QB who got to the Super Bowl? How about Rich Gannon? How about Jim Plunket? This will take a while. Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer,  Brad Johnson, Earl Morral and there are many, many more. Some teams don't need great QBs to win. The Seattle may be the latest example of this.

Oh? I see, a Super Bowl has never been a journeyman QB who got to the Super Bowl? How about Rich Gannon? How about Jim Plunket? This will take a while. Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Earl Morral and there are many, many more. Some teams don't need great QBs to win. The Seattle may be the latest example of this.

Who said they can't get to the Super Bowl? My statement has nothing to do with journeyman QBs.

I said "every team with a franchise QB lives and dies by the QB" which was referring to your comment on the Colts living and dying with Luck

Again.....to your original point, which nothing in the above paragraph has anything to do with whatsoever:    Bill O'Brien is not a great coach.  He's never won an NFL game.  He's coached one NFL preseason game, where he lost 32-0.

Again.....to your original point, which nothing in the above paragraph has anything to do with whatsoever:    Bill O'Brien is not a great coach.  He's never won an NFL game.  He's coached one NFL preseason game, where he lost 32-0.

Well, you are wrong except about losing a preseason game which means nothing. He is a great coach and he is regarded that way throughout football. He might not be in your mind but what does that matter? I don't think Pagano will be the Colt's head coach three years from now. Does that make that a right statement? Of course not, it just my opinion which is worth about what your opinion is worth or perhaps less.

Well, you are wrong except about losing a preseason game which means nothing. He is a great coach and he is regarded that way throughout football. He might not be in your mind but what does that matter? I don't think Pagano will be the Colt's head coach three years from now. Does that make that a right statement? Of course not, it just my opinion which is worth about what your opinion is worth or perhaps less.

I am not sold on Pagano either. Luck does cover up much but in fairness he did come aboard when Irsay had blown up the entire organization. 

In terms of O'Brien, former Pats assistants do not have a great track record in the NFL especially when they become HCs. When he was with the Pats he had Brady so hard to credit him too much there and that was only for one season. He did a nice job at Penn State but that is college. Hard to label him great at this point. He has a real issue at QB going into this season which may only allow his team to win a handful of games. That being said, he, like Pagano, has also inherited a team in a state of flux so time will tell.

I'm not taking sides since both TK24 & QuizBoy are friends of mine, but that way funny man!  haha

I don't think they will suck but I don't think they will be as good as some think they are. Still problems on the oline and the defense. They are good enough to win the South but I think that gaudy record may come down a bit. I don't expect them to do their usual 6-0 against the South this year. 10-6 or 9-7 could win that division.

Sorry I don't get around here very often. I've actually tried to stay away from "football talk" lately... I'm sure you can understand. 

As far as that 32-0 goes, yeah it's just the preseason, but we're definitely disappointed in what we saw. Sugar coat however you want, but there's no excuse. At the very least, O'Brien was trying to find out who his starters will be & what he put out there was his best guess. 

If that's the case, then he missed the mark by a mile. Even in the run game, the right side of the OL was a joke. 

What's worse, there doesn't appear to be a better option. & that's a big problem, to me. Looks like we put a lot of eggs in a couple of baskets that did not pay off... Brennan Williams with his knees, we knew odds of him actually playing were really low. Then Quessenberry came down with Cancer. Couldn't really foresee that. 

Then the QB.. sigh... we did it to ourselves, I know. But it's pretty sad when we leave our starter in against the Cardinals third team & the only reason we cross midfield was because of penalties. Then still can't score because the man known for throwing interceptions threw an interception. 

Defensively, looked like a lot of confusion going on, but with the new scheme & figuring out the roster & all that, I'm not too worried about the defense. 

All that said, we're still going to kick your butt. 

I knew this thread would come up. It is a preseason game for a team that just had a change of philosophy and a defense with players learning to play different positions in a new scheme. Romeo Crennel isn't going to tip his hat in a preseason game and neither will BOB. A bit too early to throw in the towel on any team right now, including the Texans.

The defense will be strong with plenty of disguise...that is the way Romeo rolls!!

The offense has plenty of weapons.  Getting a balanced attack is essential for Houston to be competitive.

I personally love Bill O'Brien...until he plays us...then I am done..:):blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

The defense will be strong with plenty of disguise...that is the way Romeo rolls!!

The offense has plenty of weapons.  Getting a balanced attack is essential for Houston to be competitive.

I personally love Bill O'Brien...until he plays us...then I am done.. :):blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Yeah, I am not too worried about the defense. I just hope the quarterback is competent enough to get the ball to those weapons. :)

Got to get some of them in GAME shape too. You may find out how much you miss Ben Tate real soon....

haha I hope not. Alfred Blue has been impressive so far and Arian is a three down back so hopefully the two of them staying healthy along with Prosch will help us forget about Tate.