Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Injured Reserve or Injury Settlement?

PrincetonTiger

41 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer for Donald Thoms?

• Injured Reserve
    • Injury Settlement

Yeah but with over 9 Million dollars left on the contract in base salary, I don't see his team settling for that much left. The only way the Colts would come out money ahead on an injury settlement is if Thomas took less than 3 million for it. No way that happens.

It would if he got a years salary not 2

I have nothing against paying him his 2914 salary I just do not see him helping the Colts in the future and really think it is a waste of his time and the Colts time sitting on the IR.

What can he do in 2015?

Don't you think he'll want access to the team doctors and training facilities while he rehabs? Don't you think the team will want to at least see where he's at in 9 months before they cut him since it will literally cost them nothing?

Don't you think he'll want access to the team doctors and training facilities while he rehabs? Don't you think the team will want to at least see where he's at in 9 months before they cut him since it will literally cost them nothing?

It doesn't matter but I do not see him as a part of the Colts in 2015

Think of it this way; the team assumes this risk when they sign a player. It's why they will also bring players in over the off-season for "voluntary tryouts" because they don't have the same liability (and don't count against your roster limits). Remember when the Titans banned Steve McNair from the training facility? Same thing. They didn't want him to get hurt and be responsible for his huge salary they needed to unload.

I get it.

The McNair issue was different. He needed to pass a physical to be released anyways. They could have let him in the facility, but prevented him from working out or practicing. They locked him out to force him to take a pay cut. 

What seems important is what dollars count towards the cap and what does not. Can we clear cap space by paying him more to end the contract. Does all or any of the settlement count towards the cap?

I don't think settlement's count towards the cap but I can't see the Colt's paying out a 3 million dollar injury settlement.  

I don't think settlement's count towards the cap but I can't see the Colt's paying out a 3 million dollar injury settlement.  

Like bav says, the settlement amount would count toward the cap. But paying out $3m in this case would yield no benefit for the Colts, so that's not gonna happen.

I was going to respond as I read this thread, then saw Bav's first post.  I then read all posts, putting a like on his.  It's straight scoop.  I've nothing to add except point out that injury settlement is typically a method for a player to get just compensation, and a release into the open market.  They (player and agent) do this if they feel the player can get back out on the field later in the season, rather than sit on IR all year. How much players are paid is negotiated and usually comes down to how long doctors think the player will realistically be sidelined. If multiple docs don't agree, teams argue for the shorter estimation while player/agent argue for the longer.  Until a mutual agreement is reached.  Thomas and his agent won't seek an injury settlement, or even accept one if approached by the Colts, unless it was a "too good to be true" deal.  Not going to happen. And I didn't vote because I knew the answer already.

I was going to respond as I read this thread, then saw Bav's first post. I then read all posts, putting a like on his. It's straight scoop. I've nothing to add except point out that injury settlement is typically a method for a player to get just compensation, and a release into the open market. They (player and agent) do this if they feel the player can get back out on the field later in the season, rather than sit on IR all year. How much players are paid is negotiated and usually comes down to how long doctors think the player will realistically be sidelined. If multiple docs don't agree, teams argue for the shorter estimation while player/agent argue for the longer. Until a mutual agreement is reached. Thomas and his agent won't seek an injury settlement, or even accept one if approached by the Colts, unless it was a "too good to be true" deal. Not going to happen. And I didn't vote because I knew the answer already.

It is good to see you posting again. :)

I hope everyone reads down far enough to get the discussion between Bavalan and Superman. For one thing, it is so rare that we see two intelligent people discussing a difficult topic on these forums (:  (It's a joke; it's a joke!)  Bav convinces Supe that the whole idea of an injury settlement is not applicable to Donald Thomas' situation.  So the poll at the top is kinda beside the point. The bottom line:  Thomas can ONLY go on IR and the Colts are stuck with his 2014 salary and cap space.  We can't gain the 3M cap space or make an injury settlement.

The only way the Colts benefit is if Thomas takes less than he is entitled to. That's not happening.

The only way the Colts benefit is if Thomas takes less than he is entitled to. That's not happening.

Couldn`t we  wipe out the dead $$$ of the last 2 years of his contract this year?

Couldn`t we  wipe out the dead $$$ of the last 2 years of his contract this year?

No, that money was earned (and paid) when he signed his contract.  The only way is if Thomas feels bad and cuts the Colts a check out of pity.  Not happening.