Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers release Larry English

Superman

I thought this might happen. Even though he's an OLB, I don't think it'd hurt to bring him in for a tryout. As a former 1st rounder, he has somewhat of a pedigree that was cut short due to injuries. With Mathis suspended for 4 games, he could help if he stays healthy and plays well. It's a lot of ifs, but he's free to sign.

Yeah, maybe so. His release probably means Freeney is ready to go, or will be. And the Chargers were tight against the cap. English is pretty much the definition of a first round bust. Never had a good year, or even a good stretch of games, or even two good games back to back. Heck, he hardly even had any good games, in five years. But there is ability. Just came off an injury that cut his season short, so that might be a concern. John Pagano's defense is similar to our defense, so he's probably familiar with the concepts. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for a minimum contract, but I'd have pretty low expectations.

Yeah, maybe so. His release probably means Freeney is ready to go, or will be. And the Chargers were tight against the cap. English is pretty much the definition of a first round bust. Never had a good year, or even a good stretch of games, or even two good games back to back. Heck, he hardly even had any good games, in five years. But there is ability. Just came off an injury that cut his season short, so that might be a concern. John Pagano's defense is similar to our defense, so he's probably familiar with the concepts. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him for a minimum contract, but I'd have pretty low expectations.

I would bring him in to tryout but when it comes down two it he had 2.5 sacks all last season. PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Now that I look at his career stats in 52 games he has sacked the QB a total of 11 times so I PASS!!!!!!!!!.

I would bring him in to tryout but when it comes down two it he had 2.5 sacks all last season. PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

He only played half the season last year. And he had a decent rate of QB pressures. Nothing special. You'd be talking about a rotational pass rusher, but that's the role he's struggled to perform in for five seasons, so...

My thing is, we railed on Jerry Hughes for three years, then sent him to Buffalo and he's one of the most productive pass rushers in the league. The whole "change of scenery" thing works sometimes, particularly when the player actually has some talent hidden in there somewhere. There's a reason English was a first rounder to begin with.

:: shrugs ::

...... You say that like he's playing on a top defense. Chargers defense was horrible last year. Half a season with 2 sacks isn't the best but it's what he got. I'd bring him in to at least work him out

Man drafted in 2009 and still on a rookie contract.  Those first round rookie deals could be long back before the rookie salary cap.  

Glad we have that quite honestly.

With this guy if we brought him in the bigger question is who do you send packing?  

I mean the Colts can do what they want but I'd hate to be that guy, arrive at camp and then sent packing on the first day before you could even take the field and show what you have.  

I'd still be on the lookout for guys cut from loaded rosters like the Seahawks and 49ers that fit our D, the ones that Grigson had his eyes on either this draft or the previous one.

As soon as I thought about Jason Babin as a pure pass rusher, I heard he just signed with the Jets :(.

I'd still be on the lookout for guys cut from loaded rosters like the Seahawks and 49ers that fit our D, the ones that Grigson had his eyes on either this draft or the previous one.

As soon as I thought about Jason Babin as a pure pass rusher, I heard he just signed with the Jets :(.

Babin had been available for a couple months. Didn't seem like the Colts had any interest in him at this point, or maybe he wasn't interested in the Colts. Either way...

You mention the Seahawks D, I like Dion Bailey, who might not make the final 53 up there. 

Babin had been available for a couple months. Didn't seem like the Colts had any interest in him at this point, or maybe he wasn't interested in the Colts. Either way...

You mention the Seahawks D, I like Dion Bailey, who might not make the final 53 up there.

That Ty Powell guy that the Colts LB coach tried out before last year's draft, Seahawks drafted him in round 7, if I'm right last year. If he becomes available, much like Dion Bailey, has played LB and safety in his career. With Powell's case, some DE too.

That Ty Powell guy that the Colts LB coach tried out before last year's draft, Seahawks drafted him in round 7, if I'm right last year. If he becomes available, much like Dion Bailey, has played LB and safety in his career. With Powell's case, some DE too.

Those are the kind of players I wish we'd add more of, the multiple position contributors who can make our sub packages more versatile and dynamic. I remember the name you mentioned, but nothing about the player. But since we reportedly worked him out, he's likely on the staff's radar. Grigson is the kind of guy who will be scouring the waiver wire for players he's already familiar with.

Those are the kind of players I wish we'd add more of, the multiple position contributors who can make our sub packages more versatile and dynamic. I remember the name you mentioned, but nothing about the player. But since we reportedly worked him out, he's likely on the staff's radar. Grigson is the kind of guy who will be scouring the waiver wire for players he's already familiar with.

He is on the Bills roster now. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Powell