Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

sherman smarter then andrew?

CR91

Communications might be useful for an NFL-bound player, but 99.9% of college-bound players will never even make an NFL practice squad. And 99.9% of NFL players will never make it to a broadcast career when their playing days are over. Sadly, many of these student athletes will never graduate. They exit school when their four years of eligibility is used up, with a handful of completed credit hours and a 2.0 GPA in a major that has no employment potential. Most of these kids are shunted off into a major where it's easier to keep up their academic eligibility to keep them on the field, with little or no concern that they're getting an education that will serve them well after college.

Good reason to disconnect colleges as an avenue to the nfl

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Communications is a comparably easy major regardless of school.  It may be slightly harder at Stanford than at "Random University", but its still communications and a joke of a degree compared to architectural design.

I haven't read much about their GPAs, but I know there are many ways that people state their GPAs to make them look better ... for instance Sherman could have had a 3.9 gpa within his field of study (many schools track this gpa seperately), which would mean only the classes in the School of Communications count toward gpa (not required pre-reqs like math, science, etc ... )

Regardless of Sherman's gpa my money would be on Luck being the smarter of the two.

Communications may not be easy if.....well you are an introvert who is afraid of a lot of public speaking classes in school and talking in general. Not everyone has a gift of communicating like not everyone has a gift for accounting.

Public speaking, debate etc. is a gift within itself IMO. Not everything that makes us "smart" is about heavy technical stuff or math/science. Some ridiculously intelligent people excel in writing, speaking....etc. Different languages.

Sherman and Luck if they switched majors back in college may not have done as well in a different role. Everyone has their own gifts and their own weaknesses which is why at times arguing about who is "smarter" is never going to end with anyone winning such a debate.

Communications may not be easy if.....well you are an introvert who is afraid of a lot of public speaking classes in school and talking in general. Not everyone has a gift of communicating like not everyone has a gift for accounting.

Public speaking, debate etc. is a gift within itself IMO. Not everything that makes us "smart" is about heavy technical stuff or math/science. Some ridiculously intelligent people excel in writing, speaking....etc. Different languages.

Sherman and Luck if they switched majors back in college may not have done as well in a different role. Everyone has their own gifts and their own weaknesses which is why at times arguing about who is "smarter" is never going to end with anyone winning such a debate.

Great post Jules. I was making the same point a few pages ago on this thread. For some reason people think technical majors are more difficult than non-technical but as you say some people are gifted with a technical mind where others are gifted in writing, speaking, etc. Neither is an indicator of one being more intelligent then the other.

Infographic here on the degree of diffulty of .......well, degrees in terms of hours spend studying

Most difficult by far is Engineering 42% of them spend 20+ hours per week studying.  The reason they say is that the material generally needs more outside study to be mastered.

Easiest is Business: 19% of them spend 20+ hours on studing. With the assumption that more of the material is easily mastered during class time.

http://www.coursehero.com/blog/2012/01/19/infographic-how-being-easy-makes-you-popular/

Difficulty of the school and the talent/dedication of the student is not taken into account.  So this doesn't really tell you how smart anyone is, just how difficult their major is, for most people

Blanket generalization, but I don't think most people who are afraid of public speaking and talking around other people would choose communications as their field of study. A person who isn't taken to art probably won't take an art major. Someone who hates math probably doesn't choose an engineering or accounting major.

I agree with you that Sherman and Luck probably wouldn't have done as well if they switched majors, but that's probably part of the reason they chose their majors to begin with.

You're right about the overall debate, though. It's pretty well impossible to determine if one person is smarter than another, unless you're talking about extremely smart or extremely dumb individuals. While I think Luck is definitely a bright kid, I don't know that it's possible to prove that he's smarter than any other person who did well at Stanford.

sheesh. when I made this thread, it was just suppose to be a joke and it turns out to be a 6 page thread

Dear God...

6 freaking pages on who is smarter between Luck and Sherman.

Two observations

1) Who cares?

2) Clearly the season needs to get here fast.

hey im as shocked as you are

Dear God...

6 freaking pages on who is smarter between Luck and Sherman.

Two observations

1) Who cares?

2) Clearly the season needs to get here fast.

I was not surprised. I actually thought it was a good topic in terms of discussing education and trying to define intelligence.