Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Goodwin to Saints

COLTS449

I had doubts he would sign with us. 

It's a competition between Thomas Austin and Jonotthan Harrison for the backup center position.

You may be entirely right, but at this point I'm not sure that having a pure center as a back-up on this team is a lock.

I think having Mewhort and Thomas who can both play center may mean we don't have a pure center as the back-up.

Right now, I see the Colts keeping 9 OL out of the gate....   they'd be...

Castonzo, Thomas,  Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus

Nixon, Mewhort,  Louis and Reitz

That's 9.    I don't think we'll keep 10.

But I think Harrison could make the team on the PS, as could Ulrick John.

Just thinking out loud....

If you look back at another thread on Goodwin people were saying he was old so he didn't want to sign until after training camp. But the truth is the Saints waited until after June 1st.

There was plenty of speculation about why Goodwin hadn't signed yet. None of that was meant to suggest that Grigson was going to sign him at some point.

An interesting detail I just picked up from an NFL.com article: Signing unrestricted free agents after June 1 doesn't affect the compensatory draft. So Jonathan Goodwin won't count against the Saints when it's time to hand out compensatory picks in 2015.

? Goodwin is a center.

Centers give up sacks and pressures, too. Especially bad ones.

But Goodwin gave up more total pressures and more pressures per pass blocking snap than de la Puente did. So it's arguable whether Goodwin will improve their pass protection. But he's significantly better in the run game.

Centers give up sacks and pressures, too. Especially bad ones.

But Goodwin gave up more total pressures and more pressures per pass blocking snap than de la Puente did. So it's arguable whether Goodwin will improve their pass protection. But he's significantly better in the run game.

i understand that. look at the post i quoted

i understand that. look at the post i quoted

Ha! I missed the "defense" part. The Saints only gave up 35 sacks and 205 total pressures on offense last year. With Brees taking the snaps, it probably won't ever get worse than that.

An interesting detail I just picked up from an NFL.com article: Signing unrestricted free agents after June 1 doesn't affect the compensatory draft. So Jonathan Goodwin won't count against the Saints when it's time to hand out compensatory picks in 2015.

Slightly OT here....but its nice to see a team actually think about planning compensatory picks when it comes to roster management.  It may not seem like much, but an extra 4th or 5th round pick in a draft is nice.

I hope Grigs thinks about that when it comes time to re-sign our FA's...or let them walk.  While I wouldn't make the picks a deal breaker, considering them should be part of the equation.

Slightly OT here....but its nice to see a team actually think about planning compensatory picks when it comes to roster management.  It may not seem like much, but an extra 4th or 5th round pick in a draft is nice.

I hope Grigs thinks about that when it comes time to re-sign our FA's...or let them walk.  While I wouldn't make the picks a deal breaker, considering them should be part of the equation.

Grigson did make comments about D'Qwell Jackson not counting against the compensatory picks, so I'm convinced that he takes this stuff into consideration.

In fact, I think his entire approach to this offseason was very prudent, with an eye to the future. He spoke on several occasions of being able to re-sign the core players, staying in a manageable cap situation, etc. 

Grigson did make comments about D'Qwell Jackson not counting against the compensatory picks, so I'm convinced that he takes this stuff into consideration.

In fact, I think his entire approach to this offseason was very prudent, with an eye to the future. He spoke on several occasions of being able to re-sign the core players, staying in a manageable cap situation, etc. 

And I assume that our FA's like Landry, RJF, Walden will be allowed to walk when their contracts are up....and if replaced by younger players on the roster so as to not have to sign a FA to replace them, we should receive comp picks then I believe.

And I assume that our FA's like Landry, RJF, Walden will be allowed to walk when their contracts are up....and if replaced by younger players on the roster so as to not have to sign a FA to replace them, we should receive comp picks then I believe.

I don't know that any of those three guys you mentioned will actually finish their contracts. Walden can be released after this year with just a $500k cap penalty; RJF can be released with a $1.25m cap penalty. Both of those guys have to prove their worth a little more, IMO. I think they were okay in 2013, but to justify their future earnings, we'll need a little more out of them. If they are released before their contracts expire, then they don't help us with compensatory picks.

But there are other players who will expire, and might continue playing. I don't know what Wayne or Redding will do after this year, but we'll see. Butler, Nicks, etc., will be free agents as well.