Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One huge reason we may have drafted Mewhort

Legend of Luck

I know a lot of people are confused about why we drafted Mewhort. He was a guy with very little hype, and not many people even knew who he was.

As we know, Mewhort has played all five positions along the offensive line. I believe this versatility is the key reason we chose him.

LT- Next year, AC's deal is up. And we all know he is going to be EXPENSIVE. If he asks for too much money, and Mewhort plays well enough to replace him, then we can let AC go and move on.

G- With injury concerns still looming over Donald Thomas, and the unknowns that still exist with Thorton, Lance Louis, and Khaled Holmes, its obviously nice to have another highly rated player that can start at either of the guard positions.

C- Khaled Holmes is a big question mark, and Phil Costa has just up and retired. The need he is obvious.

RT- Gosder is getting older, and will likely be expensive as well once his initial deal runs out. If we end up losing him, we can plug Mewhort in as well.

So it's a combination of positional flexibility, future financial planning, and of course his talent and incredible intangibles, Coach Urban Meyer said he was one of the best players he's ever coached.

We drafted him, because our O-LINE was garbage. It's still garbage, but mewhort makes it better.

I wouldnt say our line is "garbage" anymore. We have AC and Gosder at tackle, and if Thomas returns healthy, then we have Thomas/Mewhort/Thorton/Holmes to fill the other spots. I wouldnt consider that garbage.

I know a lot of people are confused about why we drafted Mewhort. He was a guy with very little hype, and not many people even knew who he was.

As we know, Mewhort has played all five positions along the offensive line. I believe this versatility is the key reason we chose him.

LT- Next year, AC's deal is up. And we all know he is going to be EXPENSIVE. If he asks for too much money, and Mewhort plays well enough to replace him, then we can let AC go and move on.

G- With injury concerns still looming over Donald Thomas, and the unknowns that still exist with Thorton, Lance Louis, and Khaled Holmes, its obviously nice to have another highly rated player that can start at either of the guard positions.

C- Khaled Holmes is a big question mark, and Phil Costa has just up and retired. The need he is obvious.

RT- Gosder is getting older, and will likely be expensive as well once his initial deal runs out. If we end up losing him, we can plug Mewhort in as well.

So it's a combination of positional flexibility, future financial planning, and of course his talent and incredible intangibles, Coach Urban Meyer said he was one of the best players he's ever coached.

C- Khaled Holmes is a big question mark, and Phil Costa has just up and retired. The need he is obvious . holmes has a problem with fumbles and miscues as well.

We already picked up the 5th year option on Castonzo , so we have him for 2015.

Cherlius is signed through 2017 and we plan on him playing that contract out if you look at the big cap hits if he's cut. He's only 29… not that old for an OL.

I do agree with you that he's versatile and I'm sure that Grigson liked that.. especially with the situation at C.

We already picked up the 5th year option on Castonzo , so we have him for 2015.

Cherlius is signed through 2017 and we plan on him playing that contract out if you look at the big cap hits if he's cut. He's only 29… not that old for an OL.

I do agree with you that he's versatile and I'm sure that Grigson liked that.. especially with the situation at C.

Sorry, as far as AC goes I guess I meant after 2015.

And again you are correct, as long as he continues to produce, I am sure we will keep him. 

As far as Gosder goes, I was more talking about after his contract is up in 2017, then he would be 32, and probably be moderately expensive then.

Cool?

Joe Reitz can do all of this aswell.

K, but I'm sure this kid is better than Joe Reitz. That's like drafting a Wide Receiver and saying, "So what, Darius Heyward-Bey can do all that."  Two completely different players. Not to mention injuries happen, and depth is always a need in this league.

C- Khaled Holmes is a big question mark, and Phil Costa has just up and retired. The need he is obvious . holmes has a problem with fumbles and miscues as well.

Ehhh, idk, give him time and...you know...actual snaps at Center in this league...before we make that conclusion.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 10, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, May 10, 2014 - personal shot

I wouldnt say our line is "garbage" anymore. We have AC and Gosder at tackle, and if Thomas returns healthy, then we have Thomas/Mewhort/Thorton/Holmes to fill the other spots. I wouldnt consider that garbage.

Don't try and reason with him.   Logic is not his friend.   Nor is common sense.

Fumbles? Miscues? When? I know you're not talking about the one missed snap vs Star his senior year and drawing that conclusion.

K, but I'm sure this kid is better than Joe Reitz. That's like drafting a Wide Receiver and saying, "So what, Darius Heyward-Bey can do all that."  Two completely different players. Not to mention injuries happen, and depth is always a need in this league.

You don't draft depth with a round 2 pick, unless your team is already elite.  We are not. The interior of our line was, and continues to be suspect.  G - C - G.  where is the big improvement?

Fumbles? Miscues? When? I know you're not talking about the one missed snap vs Star his senior year and drawing that conclusion.

Holmes had a bad day against Syracuse as well. He gave up a sack after getting bull rushed into quarterback Matt Barkley on a deep snap. Holmes also fumbled a snap, missed a block on a run blitz to allow a tackle for a loss and was pushed back on a fourth-and-1 to allow a turnover on downs for USC. 

Holmes was dominated early on in the Utah game by defensive tackle Star Lotulelei. Lotulelei forced a fumble after blowing up Holmes and was wreaking havoc on USC.

Holmes has to get stronger for the NFL and improve his ability to sustain blocks. He missed the Senior Bowl with an injury and was hurt at the Combine. Durability is becoming a serious problem for Holmes. Teams are also questioning his dedication to football.

Overall, Holmes had a disappointing senior season. He was beaten too often in the ground game and in pass protection. Holmes finished the year with a poor showing versus Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix and another rough outing in the Sun Bowl against Georgia Tech. 

One of the better posts i have read in a long time. thanks for that, this guy can potentially play all positions along the line which is an immediate improvement on our line, which means more protection for Luck which is more than necessary, haters can hate and i know a lot of people hate this pick, but depth on the oline is absolutely what we need and this guy i think will be awesome

Holmes had a bad day against Syracuse as well. He gave up a sack after getting bull rushed into quarterback Matt Barkley on a deep snap. Holmes also fumbled a snap, missed a block on a run blitz to allow a tackle for a loss and was pushed back on a fourth-and-1 to allow a turnover on downs for USC.

Holmes was dominated early on in the Utah game by defensive tackle Star Lotulelei. Lotulelei forced a fumble after blowing up Holmes and was wreaking havoc on USC.

Holmes has to get stronger for the NFL and improve his ability to sustain blocks. He missed the Senior Bowl with an injury and was hurt at the Combine. Durability is becoming a serious problem for Holmes. Teams are also questioning his dedication to football.

Overall, Holmes had a disappointing senior season. He was beaten too often in the ground game and in pass protection. Holmes finished the year with a poor showing versus Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix and another rough outing in the Sun Bowl against Georgia Tech.

You mean this game

http://youtu.be/AgrEnfRlBVg

He had one low snap and gave up .5 sack. Marcus Martin at LG gave up more pressure than Holmes

As far as strength goes he handled Peko pretty well I'm the preseason and Peko is a pretty strong guy. I think Holmes can hold his own. And look at his 2011 tape vs Star when he was healthy he played Star pretty well. That 2012 game he rushed back from a high ankle sprain in 2 weeks which is impossible in football terms credit his toughness though that game.

Mewhort will NEVER be a legit LT in the NFL. I just watched the game film of OSU vs Clemson. Mewhort is far too slow and unathletic to handle a LT job. Speed rushers make him look silly. Even questionable for RT. He should offer reasonably good pass protection and line of scrimmage run blocking as a guard. Second level blocking for running...not so much.

I read that he was a high school all american as a center. However, he hasn't done that in 4 years. 

Mewhort will NEVER be a legit LT in the NFL. I just watched the game film of OSU vs Clemson. Mewhort is far too slow and unathletic to handle a LT job. Speed rushers make him look silly. Even questionable for RT. He should offer reasonably good pass protection and line of scrimmage run blocking as a guard. Second level blocking for running...not so much.

I read that he was a high school all american as a center. However, he hasn't done that in 4 years. 

We should have gotten a Center, or Guard, not a Tackle I have other T ranked above that aren't drafted yet. 

{Antonio Richardson*, OT, Tennessee

Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State

Brandon Thomas, OT/G, Clemson}

But it is G or C that has me riled up.  That is what we needed to d draft.Tackle is not a huge need in comparison.

Clueless.

Castonzo is already signed for next season.

Mewhort hasn`t played Center.

He is HOPEFULLY, Link 2.1. Who can actually play RT.  Better than Sowell at LT if needed.

He is too tall to be a Center and not built for being a top guard.

"Mewhort played left tackle at Ohio State, but most think he'll kick inside to guard. Some believe his best position is center. Mewhort is a smart, tough guy." -- Mike Mayock

6'6" and 310 lbs.

This was a good pick, IMO (and in Mayock's --  not that that really means anything).

Clueless.

He is HOPEFULLY, Link 2.1. Who can actually play RT.  Better than Sowell at LT if needed.

Speaking of clueless Mewhort was an All american C coming into college and is actually a better fit inside as a guard or center than tackle but could play RT or LT in a pinch.

Clueless.

lol right. IM the clueless one, seeing as YOU didnt read my correction on AC earlier in this thread, and YOU dont know that Mewhort was an all-american center and was designated the backup center for OSU, knew all the line calls in case their center went down, but they trusted him enough and believed enough in his talent to play him at LT.

So go troll somewhere else.

We should have gotten a Center, or Guard, not a Tackle I have other T ranked above that aren't drafted yet. 

{Antonio Richardson*, OT, Tennessee

Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State

Brandon Thomas, OT/G, Clemson}

But it is G or C that has me riled up.  That is what we needed to d draft.Tackle is not a huge need in comparison.

He was never drafted to play at Tackle right now. He was drafted to play G or C. So your frustrations are unnecessary.

Here's what NFL.com says about him.

Ohio native. Was a reserve as a true freshman in 2010 when he appeared in 10 games. Started all 13 games in '11 -- the first five at left guard, the final eight at right guard. Suffered two broken ribs (when teammate Carlos Hyde slammed into him) against Nebraska, but did not miss any games. Was temporarily suspended from team activities in June '12 after being arrested for public urination (pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct). Started all 26 games at left tackle 2012-13. Team captain.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS  Good size. Engages with urgency. Reestablishes the line of scrimmage in the run game. Can drive block, widen the hole and seal lanes. Stout base -- good anchor strength. Plays with a load in his hands to jar defenders. Locks on and controls. Good enough feet to slide and mirror. Alert to stunts and blitzes. Versatile. Has an ideal temperament for the trenches -- breathes fire. Smart, tough and competitive. Three-year starter. Is passionate about the game and works at his craft. Highly respected vocal leader.

WEAKNESSES  Has a soft midsection. Stronger than he is explosive. Lacks ideal length and foot quickness for the left side (not a dancing bear). Vulnerable to strong bull rush when he gets tall and narrow-based. Occasionally gets top-heavy and slips off blocks. Average blocking range. Tight hips and ankles show when he pulls or climbs to the second level. Struggles to cut off fast-flowing linebackers. Lets his pads rise outside the phone booth. Recorded a very ordinary 1.92-second 10-yard split at the combine, indicating average short-area quickness for the left side.

DRAFT PROJECTION  Rounds 2-3

BOTTOM LINE  Thickly built, physical, highly competitive lineman who manned left tackle competently in college, but is better suited for the right side in the pros. Has starter-caliber strength, athleticism and technique supplemented with desirable intangibles. Versatility to play guard or left tackle in a pinch adds to value.

We got a guy who was durable in college, played at an all Big Ten level, from all accounts I've read can play guard, center, or RT and be a backup LT in a pinch, and a guy that Urban Meyer said was a great leader and one of the most coachable guys he's ever had and we're complaining?  I know nothing about the guy as I don't follow college football at all, but every scouting report I've read on him had him going late second round and had far more positives than negatives.  There's no such thing as a sure thing in the second round, but Mewhort sure looks like a good bet to me.  He's also got the versatility we need considering we've got Thomas coming off of injury that hasn't even been cleared to practice yet and a complete unknown at center.  I bet Mewhort ends up starting at least 1 game at LG and at C this next year.  How about we let the guy play 1 NFL game before we all decide he's a bust.  I for one am excited to see what he can do!

He was never drafted to play at Tackle right now. He was drafted to play G or C. So your frustrations are unnecessary.

Hopefully you are right and his transition is an easy one at the NFL level. It just seems that it would be better if we drafted a guy that has his whole experience at that position, and not somebody who bounces around the line.  OTOH, with our injury history on the O line, it's a safe choice for continuity.

It will be interesting to see how quickly he gets up to speed, and how we plan to use him.  I normally expect second rounders to compete for starts or contribute right away.  Mewhort will have to get a pass (on this from me), at least early in the year, I suppose.

Hopefully you are right and his transition is an easy one at the NFL level. It just seems that it would be better if we drafted a guy that has his whole experience at that position, and not somebody who bounces around the line.  OTOH, with our injury history on the O line, it's a safe choice for continuity.

It will be interesting to see how quickly he gets up to speed, and how we plan to use him.  I normally expect second rounders to contribute right away.  Mewhort will have to get a pass (on this from me), at least early in the year, I suppose.

Honestly, with our line, I bet you he plays right away. If I had to put money on it now, I'd say itl be AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Thorton, Gosder.

You mean this gamehttp://youtu.be/AgrEnfRlBVg

He had one low snap and gave up .5 sack. Marcus Martin at LG gave up more pressure than Holmes

As far as strength goes he handled Peko pretty well I'm the preseason and Peko is a pretty strong guy. I think Holmes can hold his own. And look at his 2011 tape vs Star when he was healthy he played Star pretty well. That 2012 game he rushed back from a high ankle sprain in 2 weeks which is impossible in football terms credit his toughness though that game.

Not to mention that what a guy did in college two and three years ago has very little relevance on what he's doing in the pros now.

If that were true guys like Konz would be all pros right now. Holmes may be a star or he may be an average player, but making a judgement bases on what he did three years ago in college is beyond ludicrous.

Honestly, with our line, I bet you he plays right away. If I had to put money on it now, I'd say itl be AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Thorton, Gosder.

I really do hope he is that good, that quick to get that spot.  Same with Holmes.  I really hope they pan out to what folks are saying about them.  Peyton had a few years of a good line, that allowed Peyton the ability to perfect his game, which allowed the line to still look good later as they aged and slowed down.  We need to give Luck a line that is good and stays together from year to year.