Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I never do these, and to be quite frank, I almost didn't do one at all because it's so impossible to do, but I've got two mocks - one no trade, the other with a trade.  But in the spirit of the draft, I'll do one.  Enjoy ripping it to shreds! 

Mock #1 (no trade)

2/27 - Terrence Brooks, S.  Should fill the hole created by Bethea's departure and do it nicely.  Plays man well and good support in the run game.

3/26 - Marcus Smith, OLB.  I've opened up to him more, and this pick assumes that Werner moves over to the Sam position.  Very good pass rush and solid in coverage.

5/26 - Brandon Thomas, OG/OT - 2 years ago, the Cotls used its 5th round selection on a prospect that many regarded as a 2nd round pick had it not been for the injury.  I like the idea of selecting Thomas here.  he's an above average run and pass blocker.  Could do better blocking at the second level, but shows promise.  Plus, with our OL already set for the most part, a rehabbing Thomas will be able to ease into the complexity of learning an NFL offensive playbook and see some time late in the season on the practice squad and gain some familiarity with it.

6/27 - Aaron Colvin CB - CB with press man experience and good intangibles.  His measurables are a wildcard due to his not participating in the combine or his pro day because of his injury, which he may start on the PUP this year.  This would make two injured prospects in the same draft, but you know what?  I don't care.  He showed good man coverage ability, good technique, and football smart.  Work ethic and other intangibles are a plus.  There's not too many guys available at this spot that could be an eventual starter, adn Colvin, like Thomas, was once regarded as a 2nd day pick before his injury.  Give me the 6th round wildcard instead of a probable camp body.

7/17 - L'Damian Washinton, WR - Kick return potential, WR depth that could be a contributor on the offense if he improves his catching ability.

Mock #2 (trade 2nd round to JAX for 3/6 and 4/14)

3/6 - Jeremiah Attaouchu, OLB - While he may not be available at this point according to some websites, I prefer CBS.com's projection that he will be an early 3rd round pick due to the nature that he will not be an immediate starter.  He has all the upside of being a pass rush backer, and a darn good one, but he's still very raw at this point, hence why I prefer CBS.com's ranking.

3/26 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB/S - This pick was probably the harder pick simply because I believe this will be around the time where CBs start flying off the board - and it could be that the CB run starts 10 or 15 picks before our turn.  At any rate, there's not much to say abotu this pick as many have talked about SJB since February. 

4/14 - Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OG/OT - This is admittedly not based on film, as I didn't see any on draftbreakdown.com or anywhere else for that matter.  But from all that I've read on the guy, he has a ton of upside, but is raw.  He's intelligent and has a great work ethic and prepares well, and is involved in the community.  He's been projected as a better OG than OT, and if it's going to take him time to adapt to the NFL anyway, I think the alleged upside warrants consideration.  Colts had scheduled, or were trying to schedule, a private visit, but scheduling conflicts made it impossible.  He's projected to go anywhere from the late third to the early 5th. 

5/26 - Dontae Johnson, CB/S - Provides versatility depth and will see playing time eventually.  Plays well in off man, has the ability to play press, but is a bit underdeveloped in that area.  He's got starter upside, but will take time to reach that potential.  Should be a S/T contributor and depending on how quick he picks things up, could see limited situational playing time as a rookie.  I have no clue how long he will last, but his draft projections are all over the place - from 2nd to the 6th, but if our draft panned out as this one has and Dontae's there, I think we'd be remiss if we were to let him go undrafted at 5/26.

6/27 - Solomon Patton, WR -  A poor man's Percy Harvin, but with decent upside as a returner and slot WR.  Could bulk up a little bit, but size is his only real limitation.  Catches well, productive, elusive and gets vertical.

7/17 - Josh Mauro, DE - 5 technique DE with a high motor and work ethic.  Won't be a highly productive player, but could provide decent depth on the DL.

Now I think I can finally say I'm done watching film and reading reports!

I would love #2 absent the SJB pick. I would prefer either Pierre Desir or Jaylen Watkins.

I am intrigued with Laurent Davurney-Tardif

I would have preferred McGill if I thought he could be there, I just don't think he will be.  Phillip Gaines was another guy I really considered, but he may not be there either.  To me, SJB seemed like the most likely option, but in my mind I rank the three McGill>Gaines>SJB. 

Got to give you, and others credit.  Doing a mock is exercise in futility.  But you saved some face by doing one with a trade.  If any team trades, it's quite likely to blow up everyone's non trade mock :)

I like the contest where you only have to choose 3 people for each round of Colts draft.  That way you can select for need, and for anticipated BPA.  Seems better chance to get a correct selection that than picking one.  So I tried that one for the first time. ;)

Got to give you, and others credit.  Doing a mock is exercise in futility.  But you saved some face by doing one with a trade.  If any team trades, it's quite likely to blow up everyone's non trade mock :)

I like the contest where you only have to choose 3 people for each round of Colts draft.  That way you can select for need, and for anticipated BPA.  Seems better chance to get a correct selection that than picking one.  So I tried that one for the first time. ;)

That was fun too, but I think what makes the mock more difficult is that who you've already picked matters.  So you lock yourself into corners sometimes by, say, reaching for a CB in one round, and not having a BPA that fits other needs in the next round.  I really had a hard time with my 5th round pick in the first one.  Any CBs I imagined being available were a reach, I didn't really like any of the DL projected around that pick, etc.  I had passed up on most hte OL that I liked, leaving Brandon Thomas. 

Anyway, it's just a fun exercise, but it does get pretty cumbersome sometimes and is really something that takes a lot of time, which is really why I never did them before.  It's fun to watch tape, come up with your own scouting report, and identify what round a guy may go.  But playing GM is an entirely different monster.

Mock 2 is a go for me.

Don't get the love for Brooks he doesn't tackle well or catch the ball. Do you know how frustrated you would get watching turnovers be re-do's for the offense. we all know how that usually ends you got to get off the field when you get the chance. Why take 2 players who can't play? Maybe in a draft short on talent but not this one I don't see it.  Grigs has said he wants play now guys.

I love mock 2 if we could pull that off I would be very happy, I am not sold on SJB but I could live with it. I have Dontae who I really like and Patton in my own mock.

There are some streches. I also would be against drafting 2 players recovering from ACL injuries. Not bad though.

Marcus Smith is the biggest stretch, IMO.  He's been evaluated from early 2 to early 4.  I personally think he's a early to mid-third round guy.  My other option would have been Trent Murphy, who I personally liked better, but I dont' think there's a snowball's chance that he'd be there at 90.  Smith on the other hand, has a better shot and given his somewhat limited potential, so I didn't feel like I was stretching it beyond reason.  Of course, like any mock draft, all it takes is one team to pull the trigger and poof, your mock is shot.

Mock 2 is a go for me.

Don't get the love for Brooks he doesn't tackle well or catch the ball. Do you know how frustrated you would get watching turnovers be re-do's for the offense. we all know how that usually ends you got to get off the field when you get the chance. Why take 2 players who can't play? Maybe in a draft short on talent but not this one I don't see it.  Grigs has said he wants play now guys.

I love mock 2 if we could pull that off I would be very happy, I am not sold on SJB but I could live with it. I have Dontae who I really like and Patton in my own mock.

And that thought had crossed my mind re: the "win now" players.  That's why I waited until the 5th and 6th round.  Because in all actuality, any player you get in the 5th or 6th round isn't going to see meaningful playing time anyway, they are often injured prospects or players with raw potential, and sometimes career special teams players.  I suppose we could have gone for some S/T players and backups, but I felt it was better to go for max potential with only 5 picks.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But you could say that about going for guys that aren't injured in the late rounds (i.e. Colts 2013 draft class).

I like McGill better than SJB.  And if he were there, I'd take him, I just don't think he will be.  SJB would need a little more development, but I think his potential is about the same as McGill.  Very similar players IMO.

And that thought had crossed my mind re: the "win now" players.  That's why I waited until the 5th and 6th round.  Because in all actuality, any player you get in the 5th or 6th round isn't going to see meaningful playing time anyway, they are often injured prospects or players with raw potential, and sometimes career special teams players.  I suppose we could have gone for some S/T players and backups, but I felt it was better to go for max potential with only 5 picks.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But you could say that about going for guys that aren't injured in the late rounds (i.e. Colts 2013 draft class).

I like McGill better than SJB.  And if he were there, I'd take him, I just don't think he will be.  SJB would need a little more development, but I think his potential is about the same as McGill.  Very similar players IMO.

I think we can find a player now player in the 5th at least in this draft.