Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Number of Tight Ends we keep on 53-man roster

Caleb3502

Obviously Fleener and Allen will be on the roster.  Wesyle Saunders and Jack Doyle are still currently under contract.  How many tight ends do we keep on the roster?  I'm thinking we will keep 3 tight ends on the roster.  I'm not sure if we keep Doyle or Saunders on the roster, or both and carry 4 tight ends.

This gives you an idea of what teams keep. It isn't set in stone but pretty good starting point. They say 3 but GB had 5 at one point.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl

Since Allen and Fleener bring different things to the table, it would be ideal to have a like backup for each. Plus, the Allen backup can also be the FB backup. I know it comes down to need at other positions, but I'd say Pep would like 4...or 8...

Since Allen and Fleener bring different things to the table, it would be ideal to have a like backup for each. Plus, the Allen backup can also be the FB backup. I know it comes down to need at other positions, but I'd say Pep would like 4...or 8...

I would tend to agree with 4 maybe 5 TEs on the roster. Maybe 4 on active roster with one on ready on the practice squad.

I agree with 3 if we have 2 fbs and 4 with 1 fb.

That said with the revenue going up in the league I don't understand why they can't up the active roster to say 55 players...a small increase. It benefits teams AND players...seems like a win/win?

Shouldn't affect the cap much since most teams have at least 5-7 minimal contract guys anyways.

Obviously Fleener and Allen will be on the roster.  Wesyle Saunders and Jack Doyle are still currently under contract.  How many tight ends do we keep on the roster?  I'm thinking we will keep 3 tight ends on the roster.  I'm not sure if we keep Doyle or Saunders on the roster, or both and carry 4 tight ends.

Four

3(Fleener, Allen and Doyle) if 2 FBs are kept

4(Fleener, Allen, Doyle, and Saunders) if one FB kept

I think your second scenario is probably accurate.  The TE position has evolved over time from being primarily an O lineman who catches a pass now and then into a big, nasty wide receiver who can block.  They create matchup nightmares for a D with LBs who aren't good cover guys and I'm really looking forward to the Colts running some of those two TE sets with Fleener and Allen in there. Lots of options out of a set like that, and they're fun to watch.