Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts make Roster Moves

TKnight24

And that's how it should be, competition for EVERYONE except our Franchise QB. He gets a mentor instead of competition

Other than that, everyone should be competing for starting jobs

You can add Mathis, both of our OTs, Davis, our TEs, and Reggie to the list of guys who aren't competing to start. They need the reps, but no one is going to take their jobs.

Why do we need 3 fullbacks.. I'm guessing at least one is gone before training camp.

We have a minicamp coming up, right before the draft. Gets us a chance to do some hands-on scouting for a few days, and then if a need presents itself later on, we'll have some guys ready to step in. It's very unlikely that we carry three fullbacks for any amount of time...

I no longer know if these guys are camp only necessarily.

The Colts are apparently checking out draft eligible fullbacks.

I think Havili is going to be competing for his roster spot. I am beginning to think he is not safe.

Why would he be safe? I'm a fan of his versatility, but in terms of a true lead blocker, Havili has a lot of work to do. There are a couple of FBs I'd like out of this collegiate class that I think could beat out Havili. Make the roster better every way we can. That includes FB.

Why would he be safe? I'm a fan of his versatility, but in terms of a true lead blocker, Havili has a lot of work to do. There are a couple of FBs I'd like out of this collegiate class that I think could beat out Havili. Make the roster better every way we can. That includes FB.

I agree. My point, which wasn't made very clearly, was that I think Havili might be looked at as a player in need of an upgrade as opposed to one that will just have some small time camp competition. That is to say that the team now appears to actively be looking for an upgrade, not passively. 

Why? Then you take away creativity. Allen is a TE. Use formations with Allen at TE and Fleener flanked out wide. Having someone at every position increases creativity imo

But hey, what do I know?

It does the complete opposite... it adds creativity. Creativity is a derivative of versatility in such a scenario. Being able to move players around and have them do different things pre-snap is very difficult to defend, and it makes the no-huddle offense an absolute dream when you have favourable match-ups on the field.

A hybrid TE/FB is the very definition of creativity. Just ask the Patriots two years ago.

Forgot about that Campbell can long snap so I added it there for you.  :thmup:

I know it isn't a huge but at least it puts some competition there as well.

Forgot about that Campbell can long snap so I added it there for you.  :thmup:

I know it isn't a huge but at least it puts some competition there as well.

SC didn't do bad but as a former C I can be a bit critical

I'm down with that.

If they want a 'hammer', Jay Prosch (Auburn) or J.C. Copeland (LSU) would probably fill the bill, but it might cost up to a 5th rounder to get one of them. Not sure the Colts can afford that this year.

I like Gator Hoskins also. He'd probably be a UDFA.

I agree. My point, which wasn't made very clearly, was that I think Havili might be looked at as a player in need of an upgrade as opposed to one that will just have some small time camp competition. That is to say that the team now appears to actively be looking for an upgrade, not passively.

Could be, but if that were so I think they'd go after more experienced guys, or at least guys who've played against stiffer competition.

We'll need those guys to play the latter part of the preseason games. And you never know, we could be surprised by what they do. Supposedly Campbell runs a 4.4, but I'm very skeptical.

Could be, but if that were so I think they'd go after more experienced guys, or at least guys who've played against stiffer competition.

We'll need those guys to play the latter part of the preseason games. And you never know, we could be surprised by what they do. Supposedly Campbell runs a 4.4, but I'm very skeptical.

I'm skeptical of timed speed a lot, especially on big guys.

But I disagree that the Colts would go after experienced guys. I think they went after experienced guys on D because they need starters and leadership there, which is just not the case on offense, especially at fullback. I think fullback is a position that is used seldom enough (likely less than last year due to the ability to run a very legit two TE set with Allen back) that the Colts might be willing to take a guy who needs a little more work or is a little less tested. Beyond that, Grigson seems to thrive at finding guys who have played lesser or questionable talent and don't have that primetime experience, from Hilton to Doyle to Freeman and Ty Nsekhe. All those guys come from different places and have contributed on different levels (or didn't make the roster). While I think a guy like LeRon McClain would be awesome, it appears to me that looking at talent that is less heralded and less experience increases the likelihood they could be grabbed later in or after the draft and cost significantly less.

Cam White looked pretty good!  I know training videos don't show what type of player he is but it appears that he moves very well and is strong!  If he is a decent blocker I definitely think he can give Havili serious competition for the job...

Cam White video 

Stephen Campbell video 

SC didn't do bad but as a former C I can be a bit critical

Never said he would win the job, just provide competition (and possibly some rest for Overton). 

As a former punter, I liked the placement of the long snap.  Yet I'll trust your assessment as you probably have way more to critique off of than I would.