Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller's top safeties in the draft.

NOTE:     Now watch....   one of the five safeties that I think the team needs will be available at 59 and Grigson will pass on him for BPA!!      Ha!     Man, that would serve me right and also make my head explode!!

That's standard Draft-day fare for me. Very rarely have the Colts drafted a player I was high on that was still on the board when they picked. And even more rarely did the player I wanted turn out to be better than the player they picked.

Extremely unlikely that there is a run at the Safeties before our pick in my opinion, Yes the Cowboys, Eagles, Ravens, Panthers, Bears, Browns, Lions, Packers, Rams, Redskins all need Safety help but most of those teams also have bigger holes then Safety to fix with the exception of the Cowboys and maybe the Packers or Bears I expect the others mentioned to make a run at other positions such as:

Cowboys-Ha Ha Clinton Dix

Eagles-Brandin Cooks

Ravens-Kouandjio/Hageman

Panthers-Beckham

Browns-Tre Mason/Carlos Hyde..After drafting a QB with there 1st pick...Though my top rb in this draft is Jeremy Hill, I also like Ka'Deem Carey

Lions-Justin Gilbert

Rams-1st pick....Greg Robinson....2nd Pick Marqise Lee

Redskins-Stephon Tuitt maybe..Though I think a team will bite on him earlier but I wouldn't

Bears-Aaron Donald

Packers-Eric Ebron

I think if Ka'Deem Carey were a stock,  he'd have a "sell" warning....

Tested badly at the combine.   Then,  tested just as badly at his pro day.

Has all sorts of character issue red flags around.

Now, he may be a guy who plays faster than he tests...   but between the less than stellar testing and character issues, we might seem Ka'Deem fall a long way in the draft....   of course, it only takes one  team to love a guy and maybe he's drafted in a respectable round.    But I would not be surprised to see him go in the 4th or 5th round.   Perhaps lower?

And a very average at best Safety who was overrated by some here in Indy, Good guy from my dealings with him at TC But not real hard to replace his on field production at all

I just disagree. Sorry. Not only do I think Bethea(with the exception of the last 2 years) was a top 10 or 12 safety in the league he also was one of the most durable. My personal opinion is that he fit great in Dungy's scheme and not so great in Pagono's and thus his production dropped off. Added is the mileage he has on his body and I do think it was time for him to move on. But when he was here I think most of his time here was definitely top half of the league

Is Joyner considered a corner?

I've talked about Joyner a few times on this forum.  I think he's the perfect fit for the way Pagano uses the safeties.  People want the Colts to draft a true "FS" but Pagano seems to like those tweener guys that can cover and support the run.  Additionally he would add some versatility in that he could cover the 3rd or 4th receiver without having to change out of the base D or nickle.

I haven't watched a lot of FSU football so my opinion of him is based on the few games I did watch and then watching some highlight clips of him and I think he will can become a star in the NFL.  The only reason he may be available at 59 is because of his height everything about his game indicates that he is a smart, natural football player who has excellent instincts and can make the play when it's there.

I agree.  Adding Joyner to our secondary give us tons of flexibility.  Plus he is willing to do what ever is best for the team.  At FSU he was asked by the coaching staff to make the move to FS and did for the team.  Not to many top CB would be willing to risk that move to a new position and a drop in their draft stock if it didn't work out.

On a side note.  Does anyone have any feelings about Jonathan Dowling FS out of Western Kentucky?  Think he as a huge upside with some character concerns.  Think with Pagano's background being a DB coach he could coach this guy into a stud.  Think he has stud potential if he get his head on straight.

I just disagree. Sorry. Not only do I think Bethea(with the exception of the last 2 years) was a top 10 or 12 safety in the league he also was one of the most durable. My personal opinion is that he fit great in Dungy's scheme and not so great in Pagono's and thus his production dropped off. Added is the mileage he has on his body and I do think it was time for him to move on. But when he was here I think most of his time here was definitely top half of the league

I agree 10-12 best Safety sounds about right...which for a Safety selected in the 6th round is good but outside of 2 years he was far from anything above average and the last two years were below that, Again I dont think he was a bad pick up by any means or a bad Safety...for a 6th round pick he was alright and even very good for 2 years but still replaceable

I think if Ka'Deem Carey were a stock,  he'd have a "sell" warning....

Tested badly at the combine.   Then,  tested just as badly at his pro day.

Has all sorts of character issue red flags around.

Now, he may be a guy who plays faster than he tests...   but between the less than stellar testing and character issues, we might seem Ka'Deem fall a long way in the draft....   of course, it only takes one  team to love a guy and maybe he's drafted in a respectable round.    But I would not be surprised to see him go in the 4th or 5th round.   Perhaps lower?

Agree on Carey about his off field issues but I very much think he has alot of talent to produce big in he NFL no matter what his Combine or Pro Day suggests, some players just dont have great straightline speed but are quick twitch athleteswho are just lethal with short area quickness, Love his running style, Along with Jeremy Hills

I agree 10-12 best Safety sounds about right...which for a Safety selected in the 6th round is good but outside of 2 years he was far from anything above average and the last two years were below that, Again I dont think he was a bad pick up by any means or a bad Safety...for a 6th round pick he was alright and even very good for 2 years but still replaceable

My affinity for Bethea is somewhat based on what I saw of our safety play before he arrived. Before he arrived it was absolutely terrible and when he came in, as a 6th round pick, he stepped right in and played well. When he and a healthy Sanders were together we had one of the top 3 safety tandems in the league at that time. Again, Bethea, in my opinion was a wonderful draft choice and really brought stability and respect to a Colts defensive secondary that for years just real bad.

Do I think Bethea is easily replaceable? No I don't. JMO. Do I hope he's replaced by someone who plays close to what Bethea gave us when he was in his prime? Yes. Do I think Howell has that potential? IDK, I hope so and I liked what I saw of him when he was on the field last year. I think it's possible that Howell or a draft pick can come in and be a solid safety but I liked Bethea a lot and I don't think that finding someone with his skill set and his durability will be easy.

I agree.  Adding Joyner to our secondary give us tons of flexibility.  Plus he is willing to do what ever is best for the team.  At FSU he was asked by the coaching staff to make the move to FS and did for the team.  Not to many top CB would be willing to risk that move to a new position and a drop in their draft stock if it didn't work out.

On a side note.  Does anyone have any feelings about Jonathan Dowling FS out of Western Kentucky?  Think he as a huge upside with some character concerns.  Think with Pagano's background being a DB coach he could coach this guy into a stud.  Think he has stud potential if he get his head on straight.

I like him.  He has great speed, so range is not a problem.  He has very good size at 6'3"...would like to see him bulkier say...210?

One thing that has been said he could play FS or Corner...would be a nice choice....5th round.  Someone may try and get him early.  A lot of sites calling him a steal.

Good observation Polk HS Allstar!

When you get a chance, take a look at this write-up on Vereen.     This write-up struck me as worthy of the 90th pick in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brock-vereen?id=2543820

For what it's worth,  ESPN's Scouts Inc has Vereen with a mid-4th round grade.

They also have Bailey with a 5th round grade, and so does NFL.com

NFL.com hasnt updated their board in forever. They still have Donald going in mid rounds and dee ford in the fourth. I think bailey is higher on espn board now two. Bailey is a late second or third pick on most sites I look at anyway. Everybody has their opinions

NFL.com hasnt updated their board in forever. They still have Donald going in mid rounds and dee ford in the fourth. I think bailey is higher on espn board now two. Bailey is a late second or third pick on most sites I look at anyway. Everybody has their opinions

I just checked out ESPN.com, NFL.com and CBSSports.com for Bailey a few weeks ago for Gavin.    He loves Bailey.

Bailey was somewhere between a 4-6 round pick on all of them.    If you have websites that are showing Bailey as a two,  I'd seriously question that website.

Sure, everyone has opinions.....     but most aren't worth the internet paper they're written on.

Only a small number are worth anything.

I just checked out ESPN.com, NFL.com and CBSSports.com for Bailey a few weeks ago for Gavin.    He loves Bailey.

Bailey was somewhere between a 4-6 round pick on all of them.    If you have websites that are showing Bailey as a two,  I'd seriously question that website.

Sure, everyone has opinions.....     but most aren't worth the internet paper they're written on.

Only a small number are worth anything.

Just checked now:

cbs - 3-4

draftek 3-4

walter football - 2-3

espn 5-6

nfl 5-6

Pro Bowler actually...That was 4 years ago to

Pro bowler is a pro bowler & much better than average! 49ers thought he was better than average & paid him!

My affinity for Bethea is somewhat based on what I saw of our safety play before he arrived. Before he arrived it was absolutely terrible and when he came in, as a 6th round pick, he stepped right in and played well. When he and a healthy Sanders were together we had one of the top 3 safety tandems in the league at that time. Again, Bethea, in my opinion was a wonderful draft choice and really brought stability and respect to a Colts defensive secondary that for years just real bad.

Do I think Bethea is easily replaceable? No I don't. JMO. Do I hope he's replaced by someone who plays close to what Bethea gave us when he was in his prime? Yes. Do I think Howell has that potential? IDK, I hope so and I liked what I saw of him when he was on the field last year. I think it's possible that Howell or a draft pick can come in and be a solid safety but I liked Bethea a lot and I don't think that finding someone with his skill set and his durability will be easy.

All correct!