Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller's top safeties in the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2023166-br-nfl-draft-100-top-safeties

7. Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

6. Ed Reynolds, Stanford

5. Deone Bucannon, Washington State

4. Terrence Brooks, FSU

3. Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois

2. Calvin Pryor, Louisville

1. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama

My fear is that the top-5 are gone by the time our pick at 59 comes around.

And we're left to take BPA at 59,  and then hopefully find a safety we like at 90.    That would not make me happy.

And we're left to take BPA at 59,  and then hopefully find a safety we like at 90.    That would not make me happy.

Not that I agree with him, but Sorgi said on whatever show it is that he's on that he didn't expect the Colts to draft a safety early.  He said he did think they'd look to draft one but in like the 5th or 6th round.  Again, I don't agree but that was his opinion.

Not that I agree with him, but Sorgi said on whatever show it is that he's on that he didn't expect the Colts to draft a safety early.  He said he did think they'd look to draft one but in like the 5th or 6th round.  Again, I don't agree but that was his opinion.

Interesting......   boy, I sure hope he's wrong....    but I'm wrong plenty around here!

I appreciate that some might view safety as not that important a position,  but I think at 59, it's not too early to be thinking safety.  And especially not with this safety class which does not "wow" me...    I think the corner class is very deep.   Not the safety class.

I sure hope I'm wrong!

I watched a few Youtube videos on these guys.  If available, I prefer the ones that have a whole game instead of just highlights.  Terrence Brooks looks great; Deone Bucannon not as much.  If selected, Lamarcus Joyner would be a fan favorite.  He is a dynamo (until he gets injured a la Bob Sanders, I suppose).

On Brooks, the main criticisms are his height (5'11"), his relative inexperience and his tackling technique.  He doesn't wrap up consistently, but I think he would get by fine with a little help from Pagano and Co. 

7. Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

6. Ed Reynolds, Stanford

4. Terrence Brooks, FSU

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama...I love that name because he can cause a turnover laughing all the way to the touchdown bank. Works for me!  ;)

7. Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

6. Ed Reynolds, Stanford

4. Terrence Brooks, FSU

Any relation to the now deceased comedian Richard Pryor? Probably not.

I do like that kid though. "He's not a wait-and-catch tackler; he is an aggressor. " Way to drop the hammer son. Oh yeah...

Is Joyner considered a corner?

I've talked about Joyner a few times on this forum.  I think he's the perfect fit for the way Pagano uses the safeties.  People want the Colts to draft a true "FS" but Pagano seems to like those tweener guys that can cover and support the run.  Additionally he would add some versatility in that he could cover the 3rd or 4th receiver without having to change out of the base D or nickle.

I haven't watched a lot of FSU football so my opinion of him is based on the few games I did watch and then watching some highlight clips of him and I think he will can become a star in the NFL.  The only reason he may be available at 59 is because of his height everything about his game indicates that he is a smart, natural football player who has excellent instincts and can make the play when it's there.

Interesting......   boy, I sure hope he's wrong....    but I'm wrong plenty around here!

I appreciate that some might view safety as not that important a position,  but I think at 59, it's not too early to be thinking safety.  And especially not with this safety class which does not "wow" me...    I think the corner class is very deep.   Not the safety class.

I sure hope I'm wrong!

If you think the S class is weak why would you lock in at 59 ? I just hope we take the best Defensive player available or O Lineman no skill players please. I don't think the BPA is going to be a S at 59.

I think the Colts are fine going with Howell. I think he is going to surprise some people. Sooner or later you gotta let young guys go. There is no doubt we need depth there. I think that is why they looked at Coleman as a plan B if a S isn't there bring in a vet and an undrafted FA see which one sticks for depth. I think the board is a lot more worried about the S position than the team. I believe our starting 22 are already on the roster. 

I would not be surprised to see an O Lineman taken early I really like Lamarcus Joyner, Dontae Johnson, Antoine Exum all listed as CB's but all can and have played all over the back 4. I think we can find Davis's running mate for the next few years in this draft.

If you think the S class is weak why would you lock in at 59 ? I just hope we take the best Defensive player available or O Lineman no skill players please. I don't think the BPA is going to be a S at 59.

I think the Colts are fine going with Howell. I think he is going to surprise some people. Sooner or later you gotta let young guys go. There is no doubt we need depth there. I think that is why they looked at Coleman as a plan B if a S isn't there bring in a vet and an undrafted FA see which one sticks for depth. I think the board is a lot more worried about the S position than the team. I believe our starting 22 are already on the roster. 

I would not be surprised to see an O Lineman taken early I really like Lamarcus Joyner, Dontae Johnson, Antoine Exum all listed as CB's but all can and have played all over the back 4. I think we can find Davis's running mate for the next few years in this draft.

I'm not locked in at Safety at 59.

I'm hoping one of the 5 top safeties is available there.    If not,  it's BPA for me.    But if one of them is there, then I believe that player is worth the 59th pick in the draft. 

As for Howell....  if you will allow me some background.   I see that you've got a new profile.   I don't know how long you've been visiting the website, but my background is as a life long fan of Stanford.   So, I know Howell very well.     At this point,  I don't believe Howell is the caliber of safety that a team trying to reach the Super Bowl would start.    He can be a back-up,  but I wouldn't want to go into the season with him as my starter....   not if I could improve that spot in the draft.

I think Ward, Buchanon and Brooks are the three top 2nd round safeties.    I hope one of them lasts until 59,   but I'm not optimistic that will happen.       If they're gone, then I'm looking for a safety at pick 90.    I'm just much less confident that whoever we'd take there,  Reynolds, Lotson,  Dixon,  whoever,  will be able to start and be a quality guy for us as a rookie.   I don't know, but I'm not as optimistic.

Hope that clarifies.....

i like Bucannon a lot get to see a lot of West Coast ball living in Alaska. I thought he could be a real sleeper for us then he went to the combine and blew up. He had the fastest 40 time, most reps of 225, best vertical and broad jump, and fastest 3 cone drill the only drill he wasn't tops in his position at was the 20 yd shuttle. He was listed as a SS not a FS which only matters in that those are the numbers he put up was tops at SS.

I am not as high on Brooks as a lot of people he can't tackle kind of important especially after watching WR run through our secondary last year.

I think Ward is gone. It is hard to say who will be BPA at 59 until the draft starts rolling. I do like Bucannon just think he might not be there or some one better falls.

Dontae Johnson NCST . I really like this kid a lot.

6'2" 200lbs 4.45 40

• post-snap technique is good, and he showed improvement in backpedal and footwork at the Senior Bowl in January. He stays low, with his shoulders and feet squared.
  • Good closing burst when the ball is arriving to the target. His mixture of quickness and length will make quarterbacks have to thread the needle on the sideline. Poorly placed balls can be intercepted.
  • Used his size well when he faced Vanderbilt star wide receiver Jordan Matthews in 2012 and also at the 2014 Senior Bowl. His length bothered the All-SEC receiver, and he was able to deflect multiple passes.
  • Physically strong player, as he could shed blocks well and had no problems tackling ball-carriers.
  • One of the best tacklers in the draft class, Johnson shows the ability to be a dependable, wrap-up tackler. His eagerness to finish the play is not common to see from a cornerback.
  • Spent time at both free safety and cornerback, and with the NFL putting a premium on size, he will likely play cornerback. He has a high ceiling due to general lack of on-field experience and the growth he’s shown in the last few months, mixed with his tremendous physical tools.

I'd be okay rolling with Howell as the projected starter if we picked up a quality CB and a quality O-lineman with the first 2 picks, but yeah I'd still want to pick up a safety in the later rounds even if we did go that route.

<p>

Dontae Johnson NCST . I really like this kid a lot.

6'2" 200lbs 4.45 40

• post-snap technique is good, and he showed improvement in backpedal and footwork at the Senior Bowl in January. He stays low, with his shoulders and feet squared.
  • Good closing burst when the ball is arriving to the target. His mixture of quickness and length will make quarterbacks have to thread the needle on the sideline. Poorly placed balls can be intercepted.
  • Used his size well when he faced Vanderbilt star wide receiver Jordan Matthews in 2012 and also at the 2014 Senior Bowl. His length bothered the All-SEC receiver, and he was able to deflect multiple passes.
  • Physically strong player, as he could shed blocks well and had no problems tackling ball-carriers.
  • One of the best tacklers in the draft class, Johnson shows the ability to be a dependable, wrap-up tackler. His eagerness to finish the play is not common to see from a cornerback.
  • Spent time at both free safety and cornerback, and with the NFL putting a premium on size, he will likely play cornerback. He has a high ceiling due to general lack of on-field experience and the growth he’s shown in the last few months, mixed with his tremendous physical tools.

I like Johnson aswell. To me, he seems a little raw at CB ( the position I would rather him play at) but I like his potential, especially with Chuck (a former DB coach.) In a sense, he reminds me of Jimmy Smith of the Ravens.

I would take Johnson in the 5th ( or 4th if we trade down a little in the 3rd and get an extra 4th)

Extremely unlikely that there is a run at the Safeties before our pick in my opinion, Yes the Cowboys, Eagles, Ravens, Panthers, Bears, Browns, Lions, Packers, Rams, Redskins all need Safety help but most of those teams also have bigger holes then Safety to fix with the exception of the Cowboys and maybe the Packers or Bears I expect the others mentioned to make a run at other positions such as:

Cowboys-Ha Ha Clinton Dix

Eagles-Brandin Cooks

Ravens-Kouandjio/Hageman

Panthers-Beckham

Browns-Tre Mason/Carlos Hyde..After drafting a QB with there 1st pick...Though my top rb in this draft is Jeremy Hill, I also like Ka'Deem Carey

Lions-Justin Gilbert

Rams-1st pick....Greg Robinson....2nd Pick Marqise Lee

Redskins-Stephon Tuitt maybe..Though I think a team will bite on him earlier but I wouldn't

Bears-Aaron Donald

Packers-Eric Ebron

I agree with him 110%. I would not reach on a safety prospect. There are some good options that will be available later. Remember, Bethea was a 6th rounder.

I agree with him 110%. I would not reach on a safety prospect. There are some good options that will be available later. Remember, Bethea was a 6th rounder.

And a very average at best Safety who was overrated by some here in Indy, Good guy from my dealings with him at TC But not real hard to replace his on field production at all

Extremely unlikely that there is a run at the Safeties before our pick in my opinion.

Disagree. This safety class isn't really deep so teams know that if they are going to get an immediate starter, they're going to have to take one early.

We're definitely going to have 3 safeties gone by the first round. Clinton-Dix, Ward, and Pryor. Likely in that order.

By the time the 2nd round comes around, there's only going to be maybe 2 quality safeties left. Brooks and Bucannon. 

Now, I don't know about you, but I seriously doubt that either of those guys are going to make it another 27 picks. Especially with the need for safety across the league. 

We're probably going to be stuck either taking a guy like Craig Loston or Ahmad Dixon in the 3rd. Unless we trade up. 

Disagree. This safety class isn't really deep so teams know that if they are going to get an immediate starter, they're going to have to take one early.

We're definitely going to have 3 safeties gone by the first round. Clinton-Dix, Ward, and Pryor. Likely in that order.

By the time the 2nd round comes around, there's only going to be maybe 2 quality safeties left. Brooks and Bucannon. 

Now, I don't know about you, but I seriously doubt that either of those guys are going to make it another 27 picks. Especially with the need for safety across the league. 

We're probably going to be stuck either taking a guy like Craig Loston or Ahmad Dixon in the 3rd. Unless we trade up. 

Mostly agree with this post, but I see no recent projections by credible websites that have Ward going in the first.    And even if he did, I'd be very surprised if he went ahead of Pryor.

Still....   that's neither here or there....    I think we share the same fear....   that the 5 top safeties, and we all know who they are, will be gone by the time 59 comes around.    And that will be disappointing.  And for Gavin,  5 safeties in 59 picks would hardly add up to a "run on safeties"...

I only have 3 safeties with a 3rd round grade...  Dixon would be a 4th round guy for me.

My 3rd round guys are Reynolds, Loston and Vereen...   and I'm not madly in love with any of them.

Mostly agree with this post, but I see no projections that have Ward going in the first.

And even if he did, I'd be very surprised if he went ahead of Pryor.

Yeah maybe. I follow a bunch of draft guys and former scouts on twitter and their feelings were that NFL guys aren't as high on Pryor as the media is. But then again it only takes on team. 

I think Ward at least makes into into the 2nd round, Also I have no problem trading down into the 3rd with San Fran at 77 or Browns at 71 and acquiring picks and drafting Dion Bailey who can do a little bit of everything pretty well but not anything spectacular...Though I think he is underrated by some

I think Ward at least makes into into the 2nd round, Also I have no problem trading down into the 3rd with San Fran at 77 or Browns at 71 and acquiring picks and drafting Dion Bailey who can do a little bit of everything pretty well but not anything spectacular...Though I think he is underrated by some

Forgot about Bailey. He's definitely one of my favorites.

Mostly agree with this post, but I see no recent projections by credible websites that have Ward going in the first.    And even if he did, I'd be very surprised if he went ahead of Pryor.

Still....   that's neither here or there....    I think we share the same fear....   that the 5 top safeties, and we all know who they are, will be gone by the time 59 comes around.    And that will be disappointing.  And for Gavin,  5 safeties in 59 picks would hardly add up to a "run on safeties"...

I only have 3 safeties with a 3rd round grade...  Dixon would be a 4th round guy for me.

My 3rd round guys are Reynolds, Loston and Vereen...   and I'm not madly in love with any of them.

Vereen I wouldn't consider before the 4th round. (His hands and play recognition skills are suspect to me and he has good but not great speed) and thats likely Dion Bailey territory there

You're willing to trade back from 59 to 77?      18 spots?     Not me.    Too far for my comfort level.

I think I'd consider your deal with Cleveland to 71,   12 spots.     But that's as far as I'd be willing to go back.   A lot depends on who has already come off the board and how we have graded some players.

The one trade I wouldn't be surprised at is trading back from the bottom of the 3rd round.    Approach Cleveland for their 3 and 4.      We have a nice recent history of trades with Cleveland, so if the Browns would like to target someone at 90 and trade up, we might be a good fit for a clean trade.

Vereen I wouldn't consider before the 4th round. (His hands and play recognition skills are suspect to me and he has good but not great speed) and thats likely Dion Bailey territory there

When you get a chance, take a look at this write-up on Vereen.     This write-up struck me as worthy of the 90th pick in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brock-vereen?id=2543820

For what it's worth,  ESPN's Scouts Inc has Vereen with a mid-4th round grade.

They also have Bailey with a 5th round grade, and so does NFL.com

And a very average at best Safety who was overrated by some here in Indy, Good guy from my dealings with him at TC But not real hard to replace his on field production at all

Well...   the 49ers, a franchise that I think knows a lot about talent, completely disagrees with your Bethea view.  They just wrote a big check.

And Grigson wanted him back.   Not at the price the 49ers paid, but spoke very highly of him.

And I don't think this class is filled with all that many good safeties.    Maybe guys who can do the job in year 2 or 3,  but step in and start as a rookie?     I don't see many.........

Let's hope the Colts do...

Well...   the 49ers, a franchise that I think knows a lot about talent, completely disagrees with your Bethea view.  They just wrote a big check.

And Grigson wanted him back.   Not at the price the 49ers paid, but spoke very highly of him.

And I don't think this class is filled with all that many good safeties.    Maybe guys who can do the job in year 2 or 3,  but step in and start as a rookie?     I don't see many.........

Let's hope the Colts do...

I think if Grigson wanted him back Bethea would still be a Colt, Grigson is no stranger to paying big bucks to players(Though Bethea did not get big bucks), What Bethea did in the scheme we run many Safeties in this draft can do....Lets not oversell Bethea...He was a 6th round pick...He had 2 great years as a Colt in a Cover 2 scheme which he also played at Howard U. He was an average Safety....Not bad but very replaceable, What the 49ers brought Bethea in to do is very likely what Whitner did and thats play the run for the most part, Thats not saying they disagree with me at all, He is a 100+ tackle a year kinda player who doesn't have consistent hands to make plays on the ball, Speaking highly of a player means very little when it comes from upper management in most cases...Thats not to say Grigson did not like Bethea but again Grigson had his price he would not budge on Bethea is my guess...and the fact  that Grigson was not willing to pay Bethea at an average of what the 49ers are going to be doing....4 years 21 mill....9.25 mill guaranteed (5.25 mill per year for 4 years......That average is only good for 17th best at his position) speaks more to Grigson knowing full well the chances of him finding at the very least a Safety in the draft that is younger and can at the very least put up the same production Bethea did a very likely scenario...Otherwise Im sure Grigson would have forked over the 5.25 mill without a blink of an eye...Instead he let Bethea go and spent 5.5 mill a year average at ILB where the draft is not quite as deep.

I think if Grigson wanted him back Bethea would still be a Colt, Grigson is no stranger to paying big bucks to players(Though Bethea did not get big bucks), What Bethea did in the scheme we run many Safeties in this draft can do....Lets not oversell Bethea...He was a 6th round pick...He had 2 great years as a Colt in a Cover 2 scheme which he also played at Howard U. He was an average Safety....Not bad but very replaceable, What the 49ers brought Bethea in to do is very likely what Whitner did and thats play the run for the most part, Thats not saying they disagree with me at all, He is a 100+ tackle a year kinda player who doesn't have consistent hands to make plays on the ball, Speaking highly of a player means very little when it comes from upper management in most cases...Thats not to say Grigson did not like Bethea but again Grigson had his price he would not budge on Bethea is my guess...and the fact  that Grigson was not willing to pay Bethea at an average of what the 49ers are going to be doing....4 years 21 mill....9.25 mill guaranteed (5.25 mill per year for 4 years......That average is only good for 17th best at his position) speaks more to Grigson knowing full well the chances of him finding at the very least a Safety in the draft that is younger and can at the very least put up the same production Bethea did a very likely scenario...Otherwise Im sure Grigson would have forked over the 5.25 mill without a blink of an eye...Instead he let Bethea go and spent 5.5 mill a year average at ILB where the draft is not quite as deep.

I think Grigson wanted him back, but just not at any price.   I think he was surprised by how much SF paid Bethea.

That said.....     you keep harping that Bethea was a 6th round pick.    The thing is, Bethea didn't PLAY like a 6th round pick.  He played at a much higher level.

You can't sit at home and say if the Colts use their 5th round pick on a safety to replace Bethea, the position will be in better hands.    And if we use a 4th rounder, it'll be in much better shape.    It doesn't work that way.

Bethea was a solid safety.

And whatever he was,  I personally don't think more than 5 guys can step in and play at a starting level as a rookie.   The rest will need some higher level of development.      So, we can use a 3rd round pick...  or trade back and take someone in the 4th round, but that doesn't mean that player will be ready to start and produce at an Antoine Bethea level as a rookie.

They might produce like a quality starter in the 2nd or 3rd year,  but I don't think most will produce much as a rookie....

Whitner didn't play the run for the 49ers. He was in the box like 22% of the time. 

All opinion of course, but Bethea was a known big Ten draft commodity and fell to the 6th round for some reason.
I would say that his career showed why he fell. Though a VERY Solid tackler he was, even after all his experience, STILL a below average player against the pass. 
 Something mentioned about so many of this years Draft S candidates is their tackling and angle taking defficiencies. 
 Antoine made a LOT of tackles and Did NOT injure himself doing it. He had VG form. Wish us luck replacing a guy who stayed healthy and was on the field all season long.

I think Grigson wanted him back, but just not at any price.   I think he was surprised by how much SF paid Bethea.

That said.....     you keep harping that Bethea was a 6th round pick.    The thing is, Bethea didn't PLAY like a 6th round pick.  He played at a much higher level.

You can't sit at home and say if the Colts use their 5th round pick on a safety to replace Bethea, the position will be in better hands.    And if we use a 4th rounder, it'll be in much better shape.    It doesn't work that way.

Bethea was a solid safety.

And whatever he was,  I personally don't think more than 5 guys can step in and play at a starting level as a rookie.   The rest will need some higher level of development.      So, we can use a 3rd round pick...  or trade back and take someone in the 4th round, but that doesn't mean that player will be ready to start and produce at an Antoine Bethea level as a rookie.

They might produce like a quality starter in the 2nd or 3rd year,  but I don't think most will produce much as a rookie....

In 123 career games he has 46 passes defensed and 14 picks while playing all but the last 2 years of that in a Cover 2 scheme, He has averaged 6.5 tackles a game total...Thats 104 tackles a season average...Good tackle numbers....But 2.6 passes defensed average per year....Not good at all...Again...good tackle numbers but he was far from a playmaker...and for a 6th round pick yes he played better then that status would say but still he was/is replaceable, Do I expect a Safety to come in right in if we pick a Safety as high as the 2nd round (if we do that high)...No...I agree, with a rookie there is an acclimation period but there are Safeties in this draft that will in all likelihood be available for us to choose that are going to be better......If Grigson did not believe that then I fully expect Bethea would be a Colt right now. Im really not sure Grigson was surprised at how much Bethea got paid but it wasn't really much once you stack it up against what other Safeties are making

If it means anything, in the mock draft I did on another forum, only 3 safeties went off the board before the Colts pick at 59.  I think a top 5 guy at safety will be available at 59.  It's more of a question of if they will be the best player to take then.

If it means anything, in the mock draft I did on another forum, only 3 safeties went off the board before the Colts pick at 59.  I think a top 5 guy at safety will be available at 59.  It's more of a question of if they will be the best player to take then.

Man, I hope you're right....

But the multi-round mocks I see have the five gone....

I really, really do hope you're right.

NOTE:     Now watch....   one of the five safeties that I think the team needs will be available at 59 and Grigson will pass on him for BPA!!      Ha!     Man, that would serve me right and also make my head explode!!

It would also tell me that Grigson thinks he's found a sleeper he'll be able to draft in the 3rd or 5th round.

May 9th and 10th are gonna be long, LONG days......

We can always go for the slow Ladler in round 5 (or earlier if we wanted)  :).

I think our safety position need is overstated. Improve the pass rush and add in a coverage LB in the draft to keep up with TEs (Kevin Pierre Louis???). Give Howell a chance. We might be better than you think.

Glover Quin was round 4, Kam Chancellor was round 5, and I am confident Grigson will get the right player at the round he feels best.