Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wealthiest NFL players of all time (hint: Peyton and Brady not in top 2)

chad72

John Madden should not be in a list of the "wealthiest NFL players of all time" in my opinion because coaches & players are not the same thing. His name should be removed from this list IMO. 

Either that or rename the list to include coaches in the title. Madden is not an athlete anymore than I am okay. Just keeping it real man.  haha

Hard to believe that Brett Favre, a player so opposed to breaking a sweat in training camp in the latter portion of his career is actually worth $100 Million. 

I wonder if #4 ever got a percentage of Favre ESPN watch revenue wise on his on again/off again retirement media tour? The only thing missing was a road crew, a bus, & female groupies. I'm serious. 

Brett was pretty darn funny in the film "Something About Mary" so I will cut him a little slack on my criticism of him. Anybody brave enough to have the Farrelly Brothers mock you in a comedy is alright by me.  :hat:

Peyton Manning should give lectures on how to market yourself as an athlete & be beloved by the masses. #18 is a genius at it. I sincerely mean that. No nonsense. 

I would be curious to see whether or not Roger Goodell asks Peyton to speak on the proper way to protect your image, protect the shield, & still make a comfortable living at the Symposium once Manning retires.

He'd be spectacular at it.  JMO.

On the flip side, it would be an interesting juxtaposition to see Brady speak after Manning at the NFL Symposium & tell his audience how he ignores ProBowls, doesn't care about being beloved outside of Massachusetts,  still makes money, & wins championships. Just 2 different approaches to 2 successful NFL QBs that's all. 

Translation: There's more than 1 way to skin a cat & be considered elite in your occupational field. Both philosophies work exceptionally well for both Manning & Brady. 1 guy embraces the media spotlight & the other guy avoids it, but understands that the limelight comes with the territory of fame & is a necessary evil that cannot be shunned completely. 

The bit about Staubach is a bit confusing. It implies that the company was sold for $640 mil, and that Staubach owned 12% of it. That would equate to $76.8 million. It would have to have sold for over five billion to generate what they suggest. Granted he might have accumulated wealth over the years aside from the sale, and his worth might have increased since 2008, but the numbers don't make a lot of sense.

In fact this article (http://nreionline.com/news/Staubach_Jones_Lang_Acquisition) states that the terms of sale were:

"Jones Lang LaSalle is paying $123 million in cash, $100 million in stock at the transaction close and the balance in cash over five years, for all of the outstanding capital stock of Staubach Holdings Inc."

So unless the stock that he got for the new company increased vastly in value (during a time when the economy - in particular the real estate sector - was sinking like a stone) there would appear to be something seriously wrong with that write-up.

The bit about Staubach is a bit confusing. It implies that the company was sold for $640 mil, and that Staubach owned 12% of it. That would equate to $76.8 million. It would have to have sold for over five billion to generate what they suggest. Granted he might have accumulated wealth over the years aside from the sale, and his worth might have increased since 2008, but the numbers don't make a lot of sense.

In fact this article (http://nreionline.com/news/Staubach_Jones_Lang_Acquisition) states that the terms of sale were:

"Jones Lang LaSalle is paying $123 million in cash, $100 million in stock at the transaction close and the balance in cash over five years, for all of the outstanding capital stock of Staubach Holdings Inc."

So unless the stock that he got for the new company increased vastly in value (during a time when the economy - in particular the real estate sector - was sinking like a stone) there would appear to be something seriously wrong with that write-up.

I must applaud you MAC because most people take a journalist at their word & they rarely question the value of a real estate deal which elevated Roger Staubach to the top of that income list. 

I can't verify the valid point you are raising because I am no expert on real estate value at  the time of sale, but you do raise a salient question nevertheless. Way to dig below the surface & get to the nitty gritty. You'd make a good investigate reporter. Something almost on the endangered species list of journalism bedrock principles today I'm afraid. Sigh... 

Staubach formed his company in 1977 and sold it in 2008 so it was generating income for him for over 20 years. Beyond the 12% of $640 million he also got an additional $36.9 million earn-out for the Staubach Co. reaching certain targets.  He's still an executive chairman for Jones Lang LaSalle and is also on the board and Forbes magazine estimated he earned $12 million last year.  He's still making a lot of money even though he no longer owns the company.

"As of 2010, the franchise had sold over 85 million copies, according to ESPN. It is a cash cow."

I do wonder how much creative control that Madden has over his video game? Does he just hand programmers a list of additions to incorporate & they just do it? Is Madden an active participant in the development process or not? Does John initiate change or delegate change to someone else with each new component or feature of his game? 

It is kind of amazing how his video game has cornered the NFL market & has no real competition to speak of because usually the gaming market in the same genre has 2-3 main rivals slugging it out over annual profit margins. The 1 asset John has in his corner is continued access to HOF players, coaches, TV broadcasters, & current rosters that few other gaming development studios have access to these days. 

It would be interesting if Madden ever teamed up with a special effects Hollywood studio company to give his game a big screen theater feel because the coaches don't seem life like to me. You know use that film technique where a person wears a black suit with white dots all over it to simulate what director James Cameron did on the film "Avatar." Something like that. 

"As of 2010, the franchise had sold over 85 million copies, according to ESPN. It is a cash cow."

I do wonder how much creative control that Madden has over his video game? Does he just hand programmers a list of additions to incorporate & they just do it? Is Madden an active participant in the development process or not? Does John initiate change or delegate change to someone else with each new component or feature of his game?

It is kind of amazing how his video game has cornered the NFL market & has no real competition to speak of because usually the gaming market in the same genre has 2-3 main rivals slugging it out over annual profit margins. The 1 asset John has in his corner is continued access to HOF players, coaches, TV broadcasters, & current rosters that few other gaming development studios have access to these days.

It would be interesting if Madden ever teamed up with a special effects Hollywood studio company to give his game a big screen theater feel because the coaches don't seem life like to me. You know use that film technique where a person wears a black suit with white dots all over it to simulate what director James Cameron did on the film "Avatar." Something like that.

he has zero control. His voice isn't even in the game any more

I would hope when the future draft picks are beeing talked to that guys like Staubach are brought in to do it. A prime example of what happens when you spend you money wisely. Unlike a lot of pro athletes.

/ Ric Flair style.

// Wooooooooo.

Madden's only involvement these days is cashing the paycheck from EA Sports.

John Madden should not be in a list of the "wealthiest NFL players of all time" in my opinion because coaches & players are not the same thing. His name should be removed from this list IMO. 

Either that or rename the list to include coaches in the title. Madden is not an athlete anymore than I am okay. Just keeping it real man.  haha

Madden was a player prior to becoming a coach.

Well then I stand corrected.

According to a quick google search for Jerry Richardson net worth, he would be #2 on the list with a net work of $500 mill.

I'm pretty sure he is worth at least a billion dollars. He founded hardees and is majority owner of the panthers

I'm pretty sure he is worth at least a billion dollars. He founded hardees and is majority owner of the panthers

Not sure how updated this is, but it has him worth $1.1B.

Like I said it was just a quick search.  For me, this was the first one I clicked on, 

"American businessman, Jerry Richardson has an estimated net worth of $500 million. He is majority owner and founder of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League. Jerry was born July 11, 1936 in Spring Hope, North Carolina, he played football at Wofford College and was also a player in the NFL for the Baltimore Colts. Richardson became the first former NFL player since George Halas to become an owner when the Carolinas were unanimously awarded the NFL’s 29th franchise."

Not saying it's right or wrong, just quoting my source.  When I went looking for this again, I did see one that said his estimated net worth is 1.1 billion.  So who knows.  Also he did not found Hardee's.  Hardee's founder was Wilbur Hardee.  Richardson, again according to a google search, opened the first Hardee's franchise and then went on to franchise several others which he grew into a few different food companies.

Madden was a player prior to becoming a coach.

I didn't know this until I looked him up on Wikipedia.  He was drafted by the Eagles in the 21st round (yes, that's not a typo!) in 1958, but a knee injury in training camp ended his NFL career before it ever began.  I once worked with a guy who played on the Cal Poly team with him.

Peyton Manning should give lectures on how to market yourself as an athlete & be beloved by the masses. #18 is a genius at it. I sincerely mean that. No nonsense. 

I would be curious to see whether or not Roger Goodell asks Peyton to speak on the proper way to protect your image, protect the shield, & still make a comfortable living at the Symposium once Manning retires.

He'd be spectacular at it.  JMO.

On the flip side, it would be an interesting juxtaposition to see Brady speak after Manning at the NFL Symposium & tell his audience how he ignores ProBowls, doesn't care about being beloved outside of Massachusetts,  still makes money, & wins championships. Just 2 different approaches to 2 successful NFL QBs that's all. 

Translation: There's more than 1 way to skin a cat & be considered elite in your occupational field. Both philosophies work exceptionally well for both Manning & Brady. 1 guy embraces the media spotlight & the other guy avoids it, but understands that the limelight comes with the territory of fame & is a necessary evil that cannot be shunned completely. 

What I think would be something AMAZING is if Tom and Peyton retire the same year and get inducted at the same time. IMAGINE that...biggest HOF ceremony of all time I would imagine!

And I think your being a little harsh on Tom. I think he simply conducts himself in a manner consistant with how his organization behaves. I also believe he does A LOT more interviews/ads all over the world because of his status with Giselle more so than Manning. I think they both have been pretty classy for the most part. I don't exactly agree with EVERYTHING each does but they have been good NFL role models.