Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts off-season should have the AFC put on notice/worried (Article)

TKnight24

According to @GregABedard of @theMMQB, the @Colts offseason should have Denver and New England worried http://t.co/LA21T72Lzv

— Kevin Bowen (@KBowenColts)

March 28, 2014

Great read here. Definitely makes me feel more comfortable/confident with our off-season thus far

Here's the link for those who can't see the tweet: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/28/indianapolis-colts-offseason-hakeem-nicks/

:colts:

Organic, natural team growth that blossoms is always the most dangerous emergence of power.  Addition of DQJ, Jones and Nicks are additive to the organic mix.

On another note, look at he picture of GB's Tackle blocking Jared Allen in the picture trailing the Colts segment.  Anybody still convinced that holding isn't a part of every play in the NFL?

Organic, natural team growth that blossoms is always the most dangerous emergence of power.  Addition of DQJ, Jones and Nicks are additive to the organic mix.

On another note, look at he picture of GB's Tackle blocking Jared Allen in the picture trailing the Colts segment.  Anybody still convinced that holding isn't a part of every play in the NFL?

At least he's not being strangled, like the used to do to Freeney on every play.

Good article, but we all know you can't take advantage of all those weapons if the line doesn't cooperate. The Falcons probably had the best receiving group at the start of last season. How did that work out?

I'm more looking forward to seeing Holmes, Thomas, Thorton, etal. If that line improves, we're dangerous.

At least he's not being strangled, like the used to do to Freeney on every play.

Good article, but we all know you can't take advantage of all those weapons if the line doesn't cooperate. The Falcons probably had the best receiving group at the start of last season. How did that work out?

I'm more looking forward to seeing Holmes, Thomas, Thorton, etal. If that line improves, we're dangerous.

I agree but I think the Colts have a superior advantage at QB that allows Luck to make plays that Ryan cannot. 

Plus the Falcon receivers got hurt to the point of going on IR (Jones) or being a shell of themselves (White).

ryan does not have the pocket awareness or the big ben like escape act of luck  

ryan does not have the pocket awareness or the big ben like escape act of luck

I agree but I think the Colts have a superior advantage at QB that allows Luck to make plays that Ryan cannot. 

Plus the Falcon receivers got hurt to the point of going on IR (Jones) or being a shell of themselves (White).

Agree with both of you. Peyton was awesome with a inferior line too. However, I don't want to see Luck constantly dodging DTs and NTs breaking through the middle of our line. And I'd like to see what Trent can do if he doesn't get hit in the backfield on every carry.

Point being, we can really take advantage of all those weapons with a competent Oline. Doesn't have to be great. C+ would be nice.

Wayne will probably be in the slot quite a bit, with Whalen backing him up. Then Nicks and Hilton on the outside.

hopefully pep will be creative and use all our wrs to create a lot of mismatches and to keep guys fresh

hopefully pep will be creative and use all our wrs to create a lot of mismatches and to keep guys fresh

The depth we have at the skill positions, the only way I see someone not coming out the game is if they got the hot hand

Shoot; we could even rotate Andrew Luck & Matt Hasselbeck if we want

:lol:

The depth we have at the skill positions, the only way I see someone not coming out the game is if they got the hot hand

Shoot; we could even rotate Andrew Luck & Matt Hasselbeck if we want

:lol:

hasselbeck throws for luck CAUGHT 30 20 15 two dbs get run over 10 luck does the electric slide, 5 waves to his mom and TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hasselbeck throws for luck CAUGHT 30 20 15 two dbs get run over 10 luck does the electric slide, 5 waves to his mom and TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*The entire offense lines up across the end zone & does the Coby Fleener Jazz Hands dance*

Ahh, that'd be a classic moment haha

To Me, it looks like the writer had 30 minutes to deadline and didn't want to do an article on the Pats or Broncos.

He looked at the guys on our roster and walla! an article that doesn't say much.

Why did he just assume that at 33? year old Wayne would automatically bounce back from a severe injury? Why did he assume replacing Brown with two more guys coming off injuries, one old and always injured, one young, would be easy.

And, most importantly, Why is he assuming our O Line will be better, at least to the degree that we would be "putting the rest of the AFC on notice"?

Jones and the new MLB are much better reason to be optimistic about the team improving in my opinion.

We will see, and I am optimistic, but unless there is noticeable improvement on the O line, pointing out the potential of a lot of skill guys just seems like lazy journalism to me.

I expect the continued development of our young players, coupled with some of the additions we've made, to translate to a better team on the field. I'm still concerned about the offensive line, but getting rid of the two weakest links ought to make a positive difference, even if we're replacing them with inexperienced players. 

However, I don't see our team as having done anything to make the Pats or the Broncos nervous or anxious about playing us, no more than they already might have been. We showed last year, at near full strength, that we can play with anyone, beating three of the four conference finalists. We beat the Chiefs twice, their place and ours. We got beat up by the Pats, but that game was within reach, if not for some mistakes and a couple of defensive failures. So they weren't head and shoulders in front of us, and even though both of them made improvements, our additions and development should have us within striking range again.

We play both teams in the regular season, so that will be a good measuring stick. I'm also looking forward to another matchup with the Bengals, and the Ravens should be better this year than they were last, so that will be a good one. Our division will also be better (has to be, by default). So if we can win our division, we should be well tested by the time the playoffs come around. 

To Me, it looks like the writer had 30 minutes to deadline and didn't want to do an article on the Pats or Broncos.

He looked at the guys on our roster and walla! an article that doesn't say much.

Why did he just assume that at 33? year old Wayne would automatically bounce back from a severe injury? Why did he assume replacing Brown with two more guys coming off injuries, one old and always injured, one young, would be easy.

And, most importantly, Why is he assuming our O Line will be better, at least to the degree that we would be "putting the rest of the AFC on notice"?

Jones and the new MLB are much better reason to be optimistic about the team improving in my opinion.

We will see, and I am optimistic, but unless there is noticeable improvement on the O line, pointing out the potential of a lot of skill guys just seems like lazy journalism to me.

You say that like Donald Brown was a top RB. Hw played good cause contract year. Most player's do. Donald struggled basically his whole career. It was times where this forum labeled him a Bust as well

Wayne will probably be in the slot quite a bit, with Whalen backing him up. Then Nicks and Hilton on the outside.

One of many possible formations.

The one I think I fancy the most is Wayne to the left, Hilton to the right and Nicks in the left slot.

Wayne is patient and methodical and can make the play no matter what. With Nicks next to him in the left slot I see teams having to choose which one to double. Luck will throw to whomever is single covered on the left or to Hilton if he has taken the top off the defense.

Plus, Nicks excels at catching in the lanes that Luck has the most success at throwing to which I believe is the 5-20 yards window on Luck's left side.

^^^This is good news considering Nicks only dropped two passes on 96 targets(56 of which were receptions).

Ladies and gentlemen... we have the makings of a "3 WRs w/ 1,000yds" season!(if that is how the coaches want to play it, of course).

On another note, look at he picture of GB's Tackle blocking Jared Allen in the picture trailing the Colts segment. Anybody still convinced that holding isn't a part of every play in the NFL?

Actually that isn't holding. The lineman locking up with the front of the shoulder pads is text book technique they teach since pop Warner. You can see the lineman has his arms extended at 90 degree angles from his body.

In the picture Allen is about to slip past him and his arms would have to extend outside his frame while still holding onto his pads to constitute holding.

Actually that isn't holding. The lineman locking up with the front of the shoulder pads is text book technique they teach since pop Warner. You can see the lineman has his arms extended at 90 degree angles from his body.

In the picture Allen is about to slip past him and his arms would have to extend outside his frame while still holding onto his pads to constitute holding.

If, by that, you mean that it is the textbook placement of hands such that holding won't be called, then sure.

Solid moves this offseason. The real answers will come this season to see how these moves paid off. I think offensively we have juggernaut potential and we could be a top 5offense. Defense still has questions in stopping the running game, and the secondary needs to be solidified.

It does put the AFC on notice because the Colts want to ball out, and I think that's what we intend to do!