Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Believe In Jim Irsay/Jim Irsay carrying $29k during traffic stop (merge)

Synthetic

If he wasn't a legitimate billionaire you may have a point.

how much money he's worth doesn't matter.  He was caught with illegally obtained drugs and a butt load of cash.  Like I said, at the very least that's worthy of probable cause to investigate for attempted distribution.  

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how much money he's worth doesn't matter. He was caught with illegally obtained drugs and a butt load of cash. Like I said, at the very least that's worthy of probable cause to investigate for attempted distribution.

If he would have had a few thousand pills along with the cash maybe.

If he would have had a few thousand pills along with the cash maybe.

that simply does not matter.  He had illegal drugs and he had a ton of cash.  That's not proof of anything at all but it's at least worthy of investigation and any detective or prosecutor worth anything would follow up on it.  There are perfectly legal reasons for which he could have had that money on him, but under this specific set of circumstances I don't see any way possible they aren't at least a little suspicious.  

that simply does not matter. He had illegal drugs and he had a ton of cash. That's not proof of anything at all but it's at least worthy of investigation and any detective or prosecutor worth anything would follow up on it. There are perfectly legal reasons for which he could have had that money on him, but under this specific set of circumstances I don't see any way possible they aren't at least a little suspicious.

they would have to assign an investigator to it. If the prosecutor was planning on adding extra charges, I'm sure it would have come out by now. It is open and shut possession and DWI.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/03/26/exclusive-irsay-arrest-reports-tell-cash-pills-erratic-driving/6937551/

"As Irsay searched through the brief case for his driver's license," the officer reported, "I observed prescription bottles in the brief case next to his wallet."

While Irsay was at the jail, other Carmel officers took an inventory of his vehicle before it was towed to a storage facility. The report said those officers "recovered

numerous prescription medication bottles containing pills." During the inventory, officers also reported finding $29,029 in cash.
The inventory turned up $14,516 in the briefcase, $2,513 in Irsay's wallet and $12,000 in one of two "laundry" bags on the passenger's side floorboard, according to police records. In addition to the pills found in Irsay's briefcase, reports said they found more pills in bottles located in the two bags.

Records list 11 pieces of evidence under the notation of "drugs/prescription," but it is not clear if that means 11 pills or 11 different types of pills.

My personal hunch on the above is that they found 11 bottles of pills.  That is just speculation on my part though.

Prosecutors do not have to follow the preliminary charges used in an arrest and sometimes file different charges after reviewing police reports and evidence. Because it can takes weeks or months to get blood test results, it could be some time before Irsay is formally charged if the prosecutor decides to move ahead with a criminal case.

This certainly doesn't sound like an "open and shut" case.  

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/03/26/exclusive-irsay-arrest-reports-tell-cash-pills-erratic-driving/6937551/

My personal hunch on the above is that they found 11 bottles of pills. That is just speculation on my part though.

This certainly doesn't sound like an "open and shut" case.

each pill is a piece of evidence. So its not 11 bottles of pills.

would there be reports of him potentially facing 4 counts of felony possession of controlled substances for only 11 pills?

if its four separate drugs, yes. It could be four pills, if they are different medications its four preliminary charges.

if its four separate drugs, yes. It could be four pills, if they are different medications its four preliminary charges.

Ok. For the time being I'll just assume that's correct. Different question...speaking in terms of convenience and practicality and not legally, why would it take multiple bottles spread between his briefcase and a laundry bag to transport 11 pills?

Ok. For the time being I'll just assume that's correct. Different question...speaking in terms of convenience and practicality and not legally, why would it take multiple bottles spread between his briefcase and a laundry bag to transport 11 pills?

perhaps empty bottles?

they would have to assign an investigator to it. If the prosecutor was planning on adding extra charges, I'm sure it would have come out by now. It is open and shut possession and DWI.

Based on the article about the woman with the townhouse, they could be waiting for the blood work and toxicology reports to come back before determining what and how to file. The formal hearing that was supposed to take place a couple weeks ago was postponed -- reportedly -- at the request of Irsay's attorneys (at least I think that's what I read). 

I think any assumption prior to the formal hearing is premature. They could wait for Irsay to be discharged, then drop all charges (or accept a plea to a lesser charge, with a fine or something). Or they could up the ante at any time between now and then, and then things would really get interesting.

But I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the investigators and DA are going to pursue a possible connection between the money and the drugs. That's dealer-type money, but there's no evidence that we know of that suggests dealer-type activity, so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes nowhere. But they wouldn't be doing their job if they ignored the cash entirely.

i guarantee you the Indy police are not in an ongoing investigation on this. He had a relatively small amount of prescription drugs. This isn't a major crime. He won't be charged with any felonies. The media may try digging deeper, but the police are not

Has this been reported anywhere?

I've had friends go through similar issues as well.  However, similar is not the same.  He was caught with 4 different schedule 4 controlled substances as well as $29,000 in cash.  Was that one of the situations you went through?  

That's more than enough probable cause to investigate for possible distribution.  

The issue at hand, that you brought up, was if multiple law enforcement agencies would get involved in an ongoing investigation. For this case, a simple drug possesion/dui, the answer is no. There has to be a legitimate reason to bring in multiple law enforcement agencies outside of their districts and launch a trans-agency investigation. The department of justice has been called into the worst ghettos of Indianapolis to just patrol more due to the 14 murders over the last week. I doubt they are going to send Indianapolis' resources to Carmel to help investigate the Colts owner taking too many pills and driving his car too slow.

Also we can basically assume what he had by schedule 4 substances. The only ones with strong abuse potential are the benzos (xanax, valium, klonopin) sleeping pills too maybe. I dont think there are any pure opiod or stimulant drugs on that list.  I also think I specifially read he was caught with xanax (alprazolam), but now I cant find the link.

How can I be negative when I'm pointing out what is being said in the press ? 

because youre exaggerating it to IMPLY  this is some deep rabbit hole conspiracy. I love how people ignore tone and implication behind their writing to defend themselves. Tone is everything. I think we can all tell your tone.

You say it's not a puzzle, maybe it's not, but it's a serious on going investigation. The facts are he was an impaired driver, he was in possession of illegal prescription drugs, he had 29 K on him which is under investigation, and that Blue Trust bought property. Those are the facts. You are hammering me about me coming to some kind of perceived conclusion

Exactly those are all facts. What I am hammering is that your implication that they all have to be LINKED as part of a conspiracy is NOT A FACT. 

but you say nothing about people who are still giving him a complete pass , and don't seem concerned as more stories trickle out slowly. 

I guess because I never read anything where someone said, "give irsay a complete pass dui is cool" if you find a post or quote like that I will happily address it. I just think it is another "piece of the puzzle" you have miraculously found, only it doesnt belong to the right puzzle because no one said or implied that.

As far as the drug comment, I was certainly not saying the guy used or bought drugs. He just seemed to have a more pharmacisotical knowledge about the cost of the drugs. My comments pertained to the fact that I don't know what they go for on the black market , but who knows what they really go for.

I dont think i am alone on my views that you took a cheap shot at the guy, but we will agree to disagree. As far as "who knows what drugs cost" are you really going to be so silly to assume no one on an internet forum or regular people dont know how much drugs cost? Even people who dont use have college roommates brothers and sisters and family friends that have used and maybe somewhat familiar. You only have to turn on the news to hear "pill prices soar to above 80$ a pill, 10$ a bag heroin on the rise!" Its time to wake up.

The issue at hand, that you brought up, was if multiple law enforcement agencies would get involved in an ongoing investigation. For this case, a simple drug possesion/dui, the answer is no. There has to be a legitimate reason to bring in multiple law enforcement agencies outside of their districts and launch a trans-agency investigation. The department of justice has been called into the worst ghettos of Indianapolis to just patrol more due to the 14 murders over the last week. I doubt they are going to send Indianapolis' resources to Carmel to help investigate the Colts owner taking too many pills and driving his car too slow.

Also we can basically assume what he had by schedule 4 substances. The only ones with strong abuse potential are the benzos (xanax, valium, klonopin) sleeping pills too maybe. I dont think there are any pure opiod or stimulant drugs on that list.  I also think I specifially read he was caught with xanax (alprazolam), but now I cant find the link.

If it were that simply of a case then of course they wouldn't.  But there were other factors that have already been detailed ad nauseam.  

If it were that simply of a case then of course they wouldn't.  But there were other factors that have already been detailed ad nauseam.  

If youre referring to the money, 29k for a person like irsay costs proportionately about 15$ for a person making 100 grand a year. If an accomplished engineer got pulled over, was dui, and had 15 dollars, we wouldnt rush to judge him as a drug trafficker.

I get it 30g is A TON too normal people. Guys like irsay drop that in a night. He could easily go out to the Columbia Club and drop 15k EASY with a ten topper. Give me a break. He could go out and buy 2 tailored suits for 30k! lol. you people have no idea the type of money these guys spend. 

Back in highschool this kid I knew had a very wealthy father. His dad, who was "retired" routinely carried around 10gs plus in his wallet. He didnt even come close to the money Irsay had. Give me a break.

because youre exaggerating it to IMPLY  this is some deep rabbit hole conspiracy. I love how people ignore tone and implication behind their writing to defend themselves. Tone is everything. I think we can all tell your tone.

Exactly those are all facts. What I am hammering is that your implication that they all have to be LINKED as part of a conspiracy is NOT A FACT. 

I guess because I never read anything where someone said, "give irsay a complete pass dui is cool" if you find a post or quote like that I will happily address it. I just think it is another "piece of the puzzle" you have miraculously found, only it doesnt belong to the right puzzle because no one said or implied that.

I dont think i am alone on my views that you took a cheap shot at the guy, but we will agree to disagree. As far as "who knows what drugs cost" are you really going to be so silly to assume no one on an internet forum or regular people dont know how much drugs cost? Even people who dont use have college roommates brothers and sisters and family friends that have used and maybe somewhat familiar. You only have to turn on the news to hear "pill prices soar to above 80$ a pill, 10$ a bag heroin on the rise!" Its time to wake up.

Here is the deal on this one, I never said conspiracy, I reported the facts. You are the one putting words in my mouth ,and making ridiculous assumptions about my so-called tone. That being said, some unfortunate facts have come out that apparently you don't like, so you are attacking my reporting of the Indy Star story. What am I going to tell you , that I think that some of these stories are positive developments for Irsay ? Certainly , they aren't , but there could be explanations for them, we will see.

You remind me of some of the people that defended the late night tweets, and odd behavior as eccentricities, when some of us pointed to a problem. They now have egg on their face. Before putting up a huge defense like some before you, you may want to wait until more of the facts come out. You still have the blood test, etc, and more info that may come out. We will see what happens.

If they were his own prescriptions then you might have a point.

;)

They likely were. (His that is, not empty)

There's a archived story floating around IndyStar from 2002 (They seen fit to dig it up now, apparently.) where Irsay was getting 100's of scripts written for him by the same doctor. Would bet anything that's the case again.

The idea that Irsay is out there selling drugs is ridiculous. Not impossible.. Rich people do far worse for the "thrill". But still, ridiculous. Not saying it shouldn't be looked into. When you have a good amount of drugs and a large amount of money in the same place - It's common sense to do your due.

There's also many other reasons a person would carry around cash and for those that can, large amounts of it. I can think of a whole host of reasons you would want to spend cash and not use a traceable Credit/Debit card. Paying off a doctor who writes you fraudulent scripts might be one of those. Hotels. Discrete dinners. Champagne rooms. Selling drugs for a guy in Irsay's position would be my last guess.

If youre referring to the money, 29k for a person like irsay costs proportionately about 15$ for a person making 100 grand a year. If an accomplished engineer got pulled over, was dui, and had 15 dollars, we wouldnt rush to judge him as a drug trafficker.

Um, yeah I know that and have addressed that point in previous posts.  If Irsay were driving around in mid-afternoon with that kind of money in a briefcase then yeah, not really any second thoughts.  However that is not what happened.  He was driving around at close to midnight, completely out of his mind on pills to the point he couldn't find his own house, with that money spread between his wallet, a briefcase and (of all things) a laundry bag.  Add to that the possession of illegal narcotics and the situation becomes far more suspicious.

Sure, there are perfectly valid reasons why he could have had that kind of money on him, but under all of the circumstances it's at the very least suspicious.  

actually, he hasn't been charged yet

yes, after posting I realized I should have worded it differently to "preliminary charges" but the point still stands.  If the pills were under his own prescription then they would not have been considered illegally possessed. 

yes, after posting I realized I should have worded it differently to "preliminary charges" but the point still stands. If the pills were under his own prescription then they would not have been considered illegally possessed.

youre probably right. However, they could have been prescribed to him and he didn't have the RX bottle with him. Then those chargers would probably be dropped.

actually, he hasn't been charged yet

No but they were offenses on the arrest report. So he either had some in a bottle with someone else's name, or some in an unmarked container. Could also explain why there is 4 charges and not more when from all accounts he had well more than 4 bottles, much less pills. 

Um, yeah I know that and have addressed that point in previous posts.  If Irsay were driving around in mid-afternoon with that kind of money in a briefcase then yeah, not really any second thoughts.  However that is not what happened.  He was driving around at close to midnight, completely out of his mind on pills to the point he couldn't find his own house, with that money spread between his wallet, a briefcase and (of all things) a laundry bag.  Add to that the possession of illegal narcotics and the situation becomes far more suspicious.

Sure, there are perfectly valid reasons why he could have had that kind of money on him, but under all of the circumstances it's at the very least suspicious.  

so if he was driving around in the daylight it wouldve made a difference is what youre saying? 

irsay was not "driving out of his mind unable to find his house". he was a block away from his home and he was driving really slow. 

youre probably right. However, they could have been prescribed to him and he didn't have the RX bottle with him. Then those chargers would probably be dropped.

"As Irsay searched through the brief case for his driver's license," the officer reported, "I observed prescription bottles in the brief case next to his wallet."

If they were his prescription bottles then, as you said, there would have been no issue so the prescription bottles (or at least some) were not his.

so if he was driving around in the daylight it wouldve made a difference is what youre saying? 

irsay was not "driving out of his mind unable to find his house". he was a block away from his home and he was driving really slow. 

Please either read an actual report or at least read other replies in this thread because it's getting to the point where a lot of stuff is having to be repeated:

"I asked him if he knew why I pulled him over," the officer wrote in his report. "Irsay advised that he was trying to find his house and gets confused with what road it is located on."

Irsay was pulled over at about 11:40 p.m., near the intersection of Horseferry Road and Main Street, after a Carmel officer on routine patrol observed him driving erratically.

"I observed a vehicle traveling east bound that appeared to be traveling at approximately 10 mph in a 35 mph zone," the officer wrote in his report.

"As I passed the vehicle I continued to observe it in my side view mirror. I observed the vehicle come to a complete stop on W. Main Street for no apparent reason. I turned my squad car around and began to drive to the vehicle's location. As I was approaching the vehicle it began to slowly move east bound and came to another complete stop in the lane of travel for no apparent reason."

add to that:

The officer noted that Irsay's speech "was very slow and slurred and Irsay appeared to be disoriented," the report said. "I also observed that his eyes were red and watery. He also displayed poor manual dexterity."

First he asked Irsay to recite a portion of the alphabet, starting at "C" and ending at "N." Irsay completed that test successfully but then started again — this time continuing through the entire alphabet.  "After reciting the letter Z," the officer reported, "Irsay recited the lettering I, N and G."

There is plenty of additional information on the events of that evening.

You remind me of some of the people that defended the late night tweets, and odd behavior as eccentricities, when some of us pointed to a problem. They now have egg on their face. Before putting up a huge defense like some before you, you may want to wait until more of the facts come out. You still have the blood test, etc, and more info that may come out. We will see what happens.

I would rather have "egg on my face" thinking the best of someone than to state something which I don't know to be true based on suspicion.  Yes I defended him and took him at his word, which I do with all people.  It may make me naive but I don't mind.  It makes me a happier person and it's a shame this happened but it in no way makes me think less of Jim.  He is human after all and we all have our struggles.  I don't mind being wrong when I feel my attitude is right.

Please either read an actual report or at least read other replies in this thread because it's getting to the point where a lot of stuff is having to be repeated:

add to that:

There is plenty of additional information on the events of that evening.

the reports are conflicting. reading that makes me believe even less Jim Irsay, the billionare colts owner, put 30 gs in a pillow to go buy several thousand pills to slang on the side of owning a billion dollar colts team. if he was that wasted, do u really think he was able to schedule a 30k dollar drug transaction with organized crime and went by himself there?

I would rather have "egg on my face" thinking the best of someone than to state something which I don't know to be true based on suspicion.  Yes I defended him and took him at his word, which I do with all people.  It may make me naive but I don't mind.  It makes me a happier person and it's a shame this happened but it in no way makes me think less of Jim.  He is human after all and we all have our struggles.  I don't mind being wrong when I feel my attitude is right.

I love this post.  I could have written it myself. 

Look, I'm pulling for Jim, and I understand you guys defending your owner and hoping for the best. I just noticed a pattern of odd behavior that hadn't occurred previously. After being a great hands off owner, he started showing up in the locker room giving pre and post game rants like his old man. Than you had odd pictures with blue face and hair, and odd twitter picture taken in his bathroom ,that look like he was partying, although he may not have been. Then you had the bragging and in your face late night tweets which were out of character with his previous behavior. Then you had the TV interview where he appeared to be slurring his words. I commented on this at the time as politically correct as I could that he looked rough. I got hammered for it, but I didn't want to say something else when I wasn't sure, but I suspected it.

I hope he gets off with the lightest deal possible and gets back to his life. All I'm saying is that some of these stories coming out are disturbing, and you may want to hold off a bit before you defend some of these stories that may prove true. Certainly you want to support your owner, but due process for all must be observed.

Look, I'm pulling for Jim, and I understand you guys defending your owner and hoping for the best. I just noticed a pattern of odd behavior that hadn't occurred previously. After being a great hands off owner, he started showing up in the locker room giving pre and post game rants like his old man. Than you had odd pictures with blue face and hair, and odd twitter picture taken in his bathroom ,that look like he was partying, although he may not have been. Then you had the bragging and in your face late night tweets which were out of character with his previous behavior. Then you had the TV interview where he appeared to be slurring his words. I commented on this at the time as politically correct as I could that he looked rough. I got hammered for it, but I didn't want to say something else when I wasn't sure, but I suspected it.

I hope he gets off with the lightest deal possible and gets back to his life. All I'm saying is that some of these stories coming out are disturbing, and you may want to hold off a bit before you defend some of these stories that may prove true. Certainly you want to support your owner, but due process for all must be observed.

Why do you keep pretending everyone but you just wants him to get off scott free?

I honestly think the twitter shenanigans were a symptom of his larger problem with the addiction. As I pointed out in posts during the whole Manning dust up, if you look at some of the interviews at the time, he just didn't look right. Although some other people noted this , along with me , I was pretty much blasted for baiting and what naught, when I think the observations at the time were right on, and fair observations at the time.

The "I told you so" post #1.

I recall when I brought up his late night tweets , and odd behavior during the Manning visit , I was hooted down and told he was just an eccentric billionaire. However, I observed the father all those years and recognized the signs. I was hoping I was wrong, but I wasn't . Now, with some people, the excuse making is still going on, when this man needs to meet this problem head on. He doesn't need enabling , he needs support.

The "I told you so" post #2.

The "I told you so" post #3.

The "I told you so" post #4.

Although I find it annoying and don't understand why you feel the need to repeatedly tell others that you were correct; It sounds like you are seeking some sort of recognition by posting not once, not twice, not three times, but four times to tell Colt's fans that you "told us so". 

So, I'm here to give out another one of my "atta boy" awards:

I, shecolt, do hereby bestow upon you, the Old Crow, one "atta boy" award for "telling us so". 

atta-boy-blue-ribbon1.jpg?w=490&h=991