Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Believe In Jim Irsay/Jim Irsay carrying $29k during traffic stop (merge)

Synthetic

No, at this point unless the police or court say otherwise, he does not have to explain what the money was for. However, considering all of the circumstances, not giving an explanation leaves further doubt as to the legality of what he was doing that night. I also find it very hard to believe that he won't be badgered by reporters (once they're able to interview him) about the money until he gives a convincing explanation of the perfectly reasonable and legal reasons he had for having the money on him that night.

As far as the reporters go, that's part of being a public figure. He has no obligation to answer those questions. However, being a billionaire that should be a very easy series of questions to answer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh....not looking forward to all the details of this case trickling out over the next several months. The $29k does not look good for Jim but I guess I would be interested to know how much cash he generally carries with him. We also need to find out who is supplier was as that person is also at fault here.

I'm just saying, $29k buys A LOT of Xanax. Way more than a couple hundred pills.

My previous post was mostly general supposition; I don't know what was going on that night or why Irsay had the money. But that amount of money, related to illegal drugs, and you're more looking at dealer activity than personal use. I could easily buy that Irsay wanted a couple hundred pain pills (although that would probably be more likely with something stronger than a Schedule IV drug, like Oxy or Vicodin), but that amount of money buys more than a personal stockpile. 

And as a billionaire, if Irsay had $3-5k on him, we'd never think twice about it. 

There is absolutely NO way that we can discount that the money was for drugs at this point. You're right about that. And like Old Crow said, his money will be a part of whatever investigation might be taking place. Doesn't matter who you are, if you have that kind of money and illegal drugs on you, they are going to look into it. But it's hard to believe that the money had anything to do with the drugs he had on him.

I think all of us want him to rehab , and come out on the good end of all of this, and be a better man for it. Jim is a good owner, and certainly not a hardened criminal. He is a man fighting a drug problem he has had previously. We know this is a life long fight in overcoming this.

He will be questioned on all of this , including the 29 K, and everything else, but the legal process will play out. Even though he has admitted to a past history of drug use, I think the courts will be lenient about the illegal prescription drugs, and cash. I do think he needs some penalty as an impaired driver, and I think it's fair with the NFL coming down with some kind of suspension on him, but no draft pick losses for the Colts. Just to let you know I'm being fair across the board, I also think the legal process should proceed on Ray Rice, and he should get a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.

I think all of us want him to rehab , and come out on the good end of all of this, and be a better man for it. Jim is a good owner, and certainly not a hardened criminal. He is a man fighting a drug problem he has had previously. We know this is a life long fight in overcoming this.

He will be questioned on all of this , including the 29 K, and everything else, but the legal process will play out. Even though he has admitted to a past history of drug use, I think the courts will be lenient about the illegal prescription drugs, and cash. I do think he needs some penalty as an impaired driver, and I think it's fair with the NFL coming down with some kind of suspension on him, but no draft pick losses for the Colts. Just to let you know I'm being fair across the board, I also think the legal process should proceed on Ray Rice, and he should get a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.

There's nothing unfair about any of that. Many feel that Irsay will be fined and suspended, and that's reasonable. 

Yeah, that article isn't good; Irsay was involved with a heavy drug user in Indy, and even had purchased her a townhouse.

That's not good; the NFL May use that info as well when punishing Irsay.

Right now, the media, and these two Indianapolis Star reporters, are like sharks smelling blood. They have uncovered this Blue Trust subsidiary of the Colts that has been buying housing, in this case, for an individual who unfortunately died of a drug overdose in one of these houses. That is a fact, but linking anything at this point, is pure speculation. The bottom line is more digging will likely occur by the press.

Obviously, the facts will come out in court . He has already admitted to the problem, so it's not a tremendous leap to believe he was using cash to get the prescription drugs. No one is going to use a credit card, or be going to Rite Aid to get them. Whatever the circumstances, it doesn't change the fact that he's been a good owner to you guys , and everyone wants to give him another chance, and wants him to recover. The problem is the enabling crowd on this forum , that makes excuses for these actions. Jim needs to own up to this problem, and beat it. Most people, even billionaires , don't keep 29 K around the car to buy chicken nuggets. The other thing yet to come out that could cause trouble , is who wrote these prescriptions. As we've seen previously with Elvis and Michael Jackson, there is usually some kind of quack doctor involved. These charges may well be lowered or dropped, but they are still serious and should not be made light of. The man does deserve his day in court to present his side, no doubt b

I would like to know what kind of bars he was purchasing with 29k. He sure wasn't after Valiums or Percosets for that kind of money. You can sit there and assume all you want. If he had a bill or even a stack on him then perhaps. But 29k? On no street does pain killers run you that kind of money. Maybe he was chasing the rare ludes. Maybe.. Jim Irsay is the Wolf of West 56th Street.

Leave it to a Ravens fan.

He's buying illegal drugs? Oh, no, he's being fraudulently prescribed them? Make up your mind.

I would like to know what kind of bars he was purchasing with 29k. He sure wasn't after Valiums or Percosets for that kind of money. You can sit there and assume all you want. If he had a bill or even a stack on him then perhaps. But 29k? On no street does pain killers run you that kind of money. Maybe he was chasing the rare ludes. Maybe.. Jim Irsay is the Wolf of West 56th Street.

Leave it to a Ravens fan.

He's buying illegal drugs? Oh, no, he's being fraudulently prescribed them? Make up your mind.

You seem to portray yourself as some kind of expert on how drugs are obtained , or the cost . I am certainly no expert on that , nor would I want to be. I know nothing of it . That being said , I hope the guy gets better, but the reporters are all over this story. It doesn't matter what some Raven's fan thinks , the Indy Star is digging like Woodward and Bernstein with Watergate. Besides the 29 K , you now have the Blue Trust revelations that came out today. You may want to read about it . You have cash, prescription drug users, houses for these individual's purchased through a Colts real estate trust , impaired driving , etc. These are just pieces of a much larger puzzle, but the truth will come out, no matter any of our opinions .

You seem to portray yourself as some kind of expert on how drugs are obtained , or the cost . I am certainly no expert on that , nor would I want to be. I know nothing of it . That being said , I hope the guy gets better, but the reporters are all over this story. It doesn't matter what some Raven's fan thinks , the Indy Star is digging like Woodward and Bernstein with Watergate. Besides the 29 K , you now have the Blue Trust revelations that came out today. You may want to read about it . You have cash, prescription drug users, houses for these individual's purchased through a Colts real estate trust , impaired driving , etc. These are just pieces of a much larger puzzle, but the truth will come out, no matter any of our opinions .

stunning indeed. A billionaire that owns multiple properties. Shocking turn of events

stunning indeed. A billionaire that owns multiple properties. Shocking turn of events

The point the article tried to make was not about a billionaire 's real estate holdings, but the fact that properties were deeded to a prescription drug addict, who unfortunately is deceased, and passed away in one of the properties.

This additional news is very disappointing and a major black eye to the Colts brand.

Seems like the Colts organization should get into damage control mode and start getting out in front of this story.

I'm not looking foward to the next few months as this story continues to unfold.  I hope no more skeletons come falling out of Irsay's closet.

do you subscribe to the Indy Star?  Just wondering how you are always the first with these things

Here is something else you should consider. You keep pawning things off as the excesses of a billionaire. It is very serious. Although Irsay owns the Colts 100 % , and isn't using tax payer money to fund these real estate, and other transactions, he is using money from the incredibly generous stadium deal the good people of Indiana have provided him. It is among the best in the NFL for an owner , and

although he has been very generous in giving back to the community , this news is certainly disappointing. What you seem to be missing is, the 29 K , and real estate transactions normally wouldn't be a big deal for a billionaire, but it is all wrapped around the illegal prescription drug episodes , and that makes it different .

As I've previously stated , I sincerely hope he gets back on track and gets another chance. I recall when I brought up his late night tweets , and odd behavior during the Manning visit , I was hooted down and told he was just an eccentric billionaire. However, I observed the father all those years and recognized the signs. I was hoping I was wrong, but I wasn't . Now, with some people, the excuse making is still going on, when this man needs to meet this problem head on. He doesn't need enabling , he needs support.

do you subscribe to the Indy Star?  Just wondering how you are always the first with these things

I have subscriptions of various newspapers through the internet. When I am in Indiana, I do pick up a physical copy of the paper when I'm out there. It's a pretty good newspaper.

I have subscriptions of various newspapers through the internet. When I am in Indiana, I do pick up a physical copy of the paper when I'm out there. It's a pretty good newspaper.

unusual that a ravens fan would subscribe to the Indy Paper.  Most people in Chicago don't know the Star Headlines the day of 

You seem to portray yourself as some kind of expert on how drugs are obtained , or the cost . I am certainly no expert on that , nor would I want to be. I know nothing of it . That being said , I hope the guy gets better,

Wow, quit trying to imply negative things about another poster, because he has shown you have a self admitted very high ignorance of what is going on. You do not have to be "an expert on how much drugs cost or how to obtain them" to know that it does not take 29k and a real estate investment conspiracy to support a personal xanax habit. I mean you are a Baltimore native correct? I am sure you see street people almost everyday if you are in the city. It only takes a tad bit of common sense to know those people aren't carrying around 30k cash and have whopping real estate investments, and they are supporting even more expensive drug habits.

You claim to "not know anything" about how much drugs cost or how to obtain them, and yet you are so inclined to make every mole hill into a mountain and only list every single end of the spectrum bad hypothetical situation remotely possible ranging from irsay being a kingpin (because only a kingpin drops 30k on dope) to him obtaining fraudulent prescriptions. You will list all these negative hypothetical scenarios, and you will not list any positives. You also appear to be a Baltimore native who is still 40 years later upset over the move. From your posts in the  all time great thread, where you are so self obsessed, you basically say we do not have the right to claim Baltimore Colts players as our own. Taking all this into consideration, it is my respectful opinion that you do not "wish the best" to Jim Irsay.

Here is something else you should consider. You keep pawning things off as the excesses of a billionaire. It is very serious. Although Irsay owns the Colts 100 % , and isn't using tax payer money to fund these real estate, and other transactions, he is using money from the incredibly generous stadium deal the good people of Indiana have provided him. It is among the best in the NFL for an owner , and

although he has been very generous in giving back to the community , this news is certainly disappointing. What you seem to be missing is, the 29 K , and real estate transactions normally wouldn't be a big deal for a billionaire, but it is all wrapped around the illegal prescription drug episodes , and that makes it different .

This is unbelievable. It is his money, and he can do with it as he wants. If someone read your posts without knowing the context, they would probably assume that Irsay used every last penny of the colts organization on drugs and they had to dissolve the franchise. Calm down. Billionaires do drugs all the time. It isnt a good thing but it is life. I am sure Jim Irsay isn't the first man with money to purchase a home and let probably his mistress live there, and she happened to do drugs. Calm down. This is NOT a conspiracy theory. 

I get it, you dont care about Indianapolis or the colts (despite subscribing to our newspaper? lol), but why, if you are so concerned, dont you focus your attention on the 14 people shot and killed in Indy over the last week. Or discussing the missing jet? It astounds me that people can get so maniacal and hysterical over a guy half the country over, taking too many sleeping pills and driving his car too slow. 

Sorry if this seemed harsh. We all need to take a step back, look at what we KNOW happened, and say "thank god it hasnt affected his ability to make the colts one of the winningest franchises of the past 14 years." The only thing that as colts fans we should stop and wonder briefly about is: ASSUMING  jim had been off the wagon a while, maybe we could have fared even better, MAYBE. These are the hypothetical situations that are worth thinking about, and not MAYBE he was carrying 29k to buy a kilo of blow and cut it and sell it and MAYBE make back enough money he doesnt have to sell those 10 tickets to the luxury booths (lol). Good day

I love irsay, and I love the colts. You can do it jim! You dont need that garbage in your life.

The point the article tried to make was not about a billionaire 's real estate holdings, but the fact that properties were deeded to a prescription drug addict, who unfortunately is deceased, and passed away in one of the properties.

She was a friend of his he was trying to help. The Wundrum family is from my home town. Kim had drug problems off and on for many years. I didn't know her, but i know people who did. Irsay has been trying to help her for years. Her sister has been Jims massage therapist for years. Its not like she was some off the street junkie. She was a business owner who had been struggling for a very long time. He gave her a house. I guess being a friend is a bad thing.

unusual that a ravens fan would subscribe to the Indy Paper.  Most people in Chicago don't know the Star Headlines the day of

Nadine, I subscribe to the NY Times , among other papers. I also follow politics as well as sports. I like the Indy Star, as I am in Indy at least once a quarter. Sometimes I will get the paper at the hotel.

This additional news is very disappointing and a major black eye to the Colts brand.

Seems like the Colts organization should get into damage control mode and start getting out in front of this story.

I'm not looking foward to the next few months as this story continues to unfold. I hope no more skeletons come falling out of Irsay's closet.

what skeletons have fallen out up to this? He relapsed, it happens to most addicts during their recovery. He bought a house for a friend with similar problems. Nothing really earth shattering

Wow, quit trying to imply negative things about another poster, because he has shown you have a self admitted very high ignorance of what is going on. You do not have to be "an expert on how much drugs cost or how to obtain them" to know that it does not take 29k and a real estate investment conspiracy to support a personal xanax habit. I mean you are a Baltimore native correct? I am sure you see street people almost everyday if you are in the city. It only takes a tad bit of common sense to know those people aren't carrying around 30k cash and have whopping real estate investments, and they are supporting even more expensive drug habits.

You claim to "not know anything" about how much drugs cost or how to obtain them, and yet you are so inclined to make every mole hill into a mountain and only list every single end of the spectrum bad hypothetical situation remotely possible ranging from irsay being a kingpin (because only a kingpin drops 30k on dope) to him obtaining fraudulent prescriptions. You will list all these negative hypothetical scenarios, and you will not list any positives. You also appear to be a Baltimore native who is still 40 years later upset over the move. From your posts in the  all time great thread, where you are so self obsessed, you basically say we do not have the right to claim Baltimore Colts players as our own. Taking all this into consideration, it is my respectful opinion that you do not "wish the best" to Jim Irsay.

This is unbelievable. It is his money, and he can do with it as he wants. If someone read your posts without knowing the context, they would probably assume that Irsay used every last penny of the colts organization on drugs and they had to dissolve the franchise. Calm down. Billionaires do drugs all the time. It isnt a good thing but it is life. I am sure Jim Irsay isn't the first man with money to purchase a home and let probably his mistress live there, and she happened to do drugs. Calm down. This is NOT a conspiracy theory. 

I get it, you dont care about Indianapolis or the colts (despite subscribing to our newspaper? lol), but why, if you are so concerned, dont you focus your attention on the 14 people shot and killed in Indy over the last week. Or discussing the missing jet? It astounds me that people can get so maniacal and hysterical over a guy half the country over, taking too many sleeping pills and driving his car too slow. 

Sorry if this seemed harsh. We all need to take a step back, look at what we KNOW happened, and say "thank god it hasnt affected his ability to make the colts one of the winningest franchises of the past 14 years." The only thing that as colts fans we should stop and wonder briefly about is: ASSUMING  jim had been off the wagon a while, maybe we could have fared even better, MAYBE. These are the hypothetical situations that are worth thinking about, and not MAYBE he was carrying 29k to buy a kilo of blow and cut it and sell it and MAYBE make back enough money he doesnt have to sell those 10 tickets to the luxury booths (lol). Good day

I love irsay, and I love the colts. You can do it jim! You dont need that garbage in your life.

Look , don't blame me for the Indianapolis Star doing it's job. They put the facts thus far out there, you can decide to believe what you want to believe . The reason this is of interest over 14 people shot or something, is because this is a sports forum, and Irsay and the Colts are sports news. I pointed out the facts, but said it was just part of a puzzle we don't have all the answers to. The prescription drug comments concerned the extreme detail and terminology the other poster detailed, in terms of cost and language about certain prescription drugs. On that I am unfamiliar, but I'm just going off Carmel police reports that he didn't have prescriptions for some of the pills. He can certainly do whatever he wants with his money, but if he's using his money to buy illegal prescription drugs , drives impaired where he may have harmed someone, then it is the press's business , as well as the authorities. Yes, I am from Baltimore, but I do hope he beats this thing and gets back to owning the team. You can believe that, or not. Don't blame me for the news coming out of your hometown newspaper. I'm just a forum member discussing it, among other topics.

She was a friend of his he was trying to help. The Wundrum family is from my home town. Kim had drug problems off and on for many years. I didn't know her, but i know people who did. Irsay has been trying to help her for years. Her sister has been Jims massage therapist for years. Its not like she was some off the street junkie. She was a business owner who had been struggling for a very long time. He gave her a house. I guess being a friend is a bad thing.

I hope that was the case, and my heart goes out to the family that lost the young lady. Maybe that is all there is to it. This was all in the article. No one I heard said she was a street junkie. She sounds like a young lady with a problem that unfortunately lost her battle. That is why I'm hoping for a recovery for Jim Irsay .

some seem to be way to quick to vilify Irsay while others seem to be way to quick to excuse him.  There's a lot more information that needs to come out before any kind of informed opinion can be made.  All I'll say right now is there is a lot of suspicious behavior involved in this story and I personally don't expect it to have a happy, "Jim didn't do anything wrong" kind of ending but that's just my gut feeling right now. 

Look , don't blame me for the Indianapolis Star doing it's job. They put the facts thus far out there, you can decide to believe what you want to believe . The reason this is of interest over 14 people shot or something, is because this is a sports forum, and Irsay and the Colts are sports news. I pointed out the facts, but said it was just part of a puzzle we don't have all the answers to. 

1) There is no puzzle. This was the point I was making. You are making this out to be a huge deal; you are not just discussing the facts of the star. You are making up every extreme negative hypothetical situation that couldve occured.

2) You seem to be a fairly intelligent guy. I am sure you have the reading comprehension of a 14 year old. 

"I would like to know what kind of bars he was purchasing with 29k. He sure wasn't after Valiums or Percosets for that kind of money. You can sit there and assume all you want. If he had a bill or even a stack on him then perhaps. But 29k? On no street does pain killers run you that kind of money. Maybe he was chasing the rare ludes. Maybe.. Jim Irsay is the Wolf of West 56th Street."

Without knowing about the specific drugs he mentioned, it is fair to assume that what he is saying is, "the 29k is overkill when it comes to purchasing the relatively low cost drugs Jim Irsay was caught with."

So when you say, "oh you are an expert on how to obtain drugs and how much they costs" it helps confirm my opinion that you are just here to bash the colts and I guess some of their fans too. Playing dumb and saying you didnt understand his post because "hes an expert on obtaining drugs" is just insulting to think anyone here is stupid enough to buy that.

Without knowing about the specific drugs he mentioned, it is fair to assume that what he is saying is, "the 29k is overkill when it comes to purchasing the relatively low cost drugs Jim Irsay was caught with."

Has any information been released detailing what drugs specifically Irsay was caught with?  The only thing I've read is that he was caught with numerous "controlled substances" for which he did not have a legal prescription.

1) There is no puzzle. This was the point I was making. You are making this out to be a huge deal; you are not just discussing the facts of the star. You are making up every extreme negative hypothetical situation that couldve occured.

2) You seem to be a fairly intelligent guy. I am sure you have the reading comprehension of a 14 year old. 

"I would like to know what kind of bars he was purchasing with 29k. He sure wasn't after Valiums or Percosets for that kind of money. You can sit there and assume all you want. If he had a bill or even a stack on him then perhaps. But 29k? On no street does pain killers run you that kind of money. Maybe he was chasing the rare ludes. Maybe.. Jim Irsay is the Wolf of West 56th Street."

So when you say, "oh you are an expert on how to obtain drugs and how much they costs" it helps confirm my opinion that you are just here to bash the colts and I guess some of their fans too. Playing dumb and saying you didnt understand his post because "hes an expert on obtaining drugs" is just insulting to think anyone here is stupid enough to buy that.

Doesn't bother me one bit to see the bitter judging the life of another whilst they have not lived one themselves outside of the online newspapers from many areas other than their own. Seems.. Irrational.

Controlled substance is a very broad term. Cocaine is a controlled substance. Irsay had schedule 4 narcotics. My guess is ambien and low level pain killers

actually after further reading, it looks like Irsay had "Schedule 4 Controlled Substances".  

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/

Based on that link, it's the grouping of narcotics that are listed as "controlled substances" that are broken down into schedules 1-5.  It very well could have been Ambien or a host of other things.  

How can I be negative when I'm pointing out what is being said in the press ? You say it's not a puzzle, maybe it's not, but it's a serious on going investigation. The facts are he was an impaired driver, he was in possession of illegal prescription drugs, he had 29 K on him which is under investigation, and that Blue Trust bought property. Those are the facts. You are hammering me about me coming to some kind of perceived conclusion , but you say nothing about people who are still giving him a complete pass , and don't seem concerned as more stories trickle out slowly. As far as the drug comment, I was certainly not saying the guy used or bought drugs. He just seemed to have a more pharmacisotical knowledge about the cost of the drugs. My comments pertained to the fact that I don't know what they go for on the black market , but who knows what they really go for.

How can I be negative when I'm pointing out what is being said in the press ? You say it's not a puzzle, maybe it's not, but it's a serious on going investigation. The facts are he was an impaired driver, he was in possession of illegal prescription drugs, he had 29 K on him which is under investigation, and that Blue Trust bought property. Those are the facts. You are hammering me about me coming to some kind of perceived conclusion , but you say nothing about people who are still giving him a complete pass , and don't seem concerned as more stories trickle out slowly. As far as the drug comment, I was certainly not saying the guy used or bought drugs. He just seemed to have a more pharmacisotical knowledge about the cost of the drugs. My comments pertained to the fact that I don't know what they go for on the black market , but who knows what they really go for.

serious on going investigation by who, the newspaper?

Let's see, the police, the Indy Star ,the national press. This is huge news. It is a billionaire NFL owner who is part of a very exclusive group of owners. It is extremely newsworthy.

i guarantee you the Indy police are not in an ongoing investigation on this. He had a relatively small amount of prescription drugs. This isn't a major crime. He won't be charged with any felonies. The media may try digging deeper, but the police are not

i guarantee you the Indy police are not in an ongoing investigation on this. He had a relatively small amount of prescription drugs. This isn't a major crime. He won't be charged with any felonies. The media may try digging deeper, but the police are not

We shall see. We will see how it plays out.

Has this been reported anywhere?

Lets just say i have had experience in those types of problems at a young age.

I've had friends go through similar issues as well.  However, similar is not the same.  He was caught with 4 different schedule 4 controlled substances as well as $29,000 in cash.  Was that one of the situations you went through?  

That's more than enough probable cause to investigate for possible distribution.  

I've had friends go through similar issues as well. However, similar is not the same. He was caught with 4 different schedule 4 controlled substances as well as $29,000 in cash. Was that one of the situations you went through?

That's more than enough probable cause to investigate for possible distribution.

If he wasn't a legitimate billionaire you may have a point.