Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3/18 Walterfootball Mock - My Nightmare Scenario!

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_2.php

LaMarcus Joyner, Terrence Brooks, Jimmy Ward, and Dion Bailey are all gone before our second round pick.  Then Ed Reynolds, Deone Bucannon, and Ahmad Dixon are all gone before our 3rd rounder.  I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on a safety before the 5th round.  I like to do re-drafts, and decide what I would do given the possibilities open to the Colts.  Here's what I would have done for the Colts in Walt's mock:

2) Gabe Jackson, OG, Miss. St.

3) Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice.  (Or E.J. Gaines, or whatever CB Grigson prefers - it's a deep class)

5) Marqueston Huff, S, Wyoming.

He only goes 5 rounds...

It is certainly worst case scenario if laser focused on a FS to replace Bethea in Rds. 2 or 3, but its also a great scenario with Morgan Moses @ OT, Attaochu and Smith @ OLB, Jackson @ OG all being there in a BPA situation.  Existing pick @ CB fits a need and Jean-Baptiste is still available too.    In my mind it highlights the depth of the draft a what a solid player we are likely to get at 59 - as well as why we are unlikely to trade down.

I don't mind the Marqueston Huff pick. He seems like good value in the 5th round from everything I have seen about him.

If this scenario plays out (which I highly doubt):

• In the 2nd round, I would take a long, hard look at Weston Richburg C Colorado State. I have no idea if Khaled Holmes is viewed as the future at center, a future guard, or just a mistake in hindsight. From what I have seen and read about Richburg, he could be a good one in the NFL. (P.S. The thought of Phil Costa at center scares me)
  • In the 3rd round, we have our choice of DaQuan Jones, Donte Moncrief, and Pierre Desir. If we got one of these guys in the 2nd round and one in the 3rd I would be a happy camper.

Could we draft a CB and move him to safety?  

This is quite frankly why we need to sign a safety in free agency.

I think Keith McGill would be a good candidate for that. Or Jaylen Watkins. I think one of Ward or Joyner will be there at 59 though.

Huff will be gone long before the 5th round.    At least,  that's what I've been reading.

Also, remember....    Antoine Bethea...    I believe was a 5th or 6th round pick.

You can find quality safeties later in the draft.    It's not easy,  but it can be done.

As for your nightmare....

Joyner, Brooks and Ward I think will be gone by 59...   and maybe even Buchanon too.

But, I think Bailey will be there at at 59.      As for pick 90...   I'm not sure yet on Dixon...   but I think Reynolds' stock is falling, so I think he'll be there at 90.    Could be wrong, it only takes one to love him that much.    He had a great RS junior year, but a disappointing RS senior year.    And he had an unimpressive combine.    So,  he could fall...  how far, I don't know yet.

I had the same feeling as Archer when I looked at the Walter draft.  Gulp. OG Yankey (Wisconsin) falls to us in some drafts as well as Gabe Jackson.  I had been hoping for Kyle Fuller or Jimmie Ward, but they are predicted much higher than Pick 59 now.  At this time two years ago, RG3 was still slotted in the 2nd round and by the time of the draft he was considered for Pick #1.  Things change.  

Grigson says he has a plan for the center position.  Maybe he and Pagano think Khaled Holmes can do it now.  They also attended the workout for Joel Bitonio (Nevada), working him out at guard, although some teams see him as a center.

Posted this to the wrong thread before:

Based upon who WalterFootball believes will be available at these positions, I'll draft this way:

2. Trade down with Cleveland for their 3rd and 4th

3. Deonne Buchanon, S

3. DaQuan Jones, DT

4. Marcus Smith, OLB

5. Andre Hal, CB

6. Spencer Long, G

7. BPA

Not sure that I agree that Jones or Smith will be there, but if so, they're too good of value to pass up.