Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen & Ware to meet with Broncos today!

IcEWoLF

I just read on The NFL site that they are both going to meet with the Broncos today, do they have the $$ to sign both of them? If they did, might as well crown their butt ahead of time for the AFC title game and a possible SB appearance return.

It's either all or nothing it seems for the Broncos this year.

I think Peyton's deal in 2015 will be more salary cap friendly than in 2014, so they may be hedging some bets on that.

Besides, we may be thinking they are going all in for Peyton right now. But even if Peyton retires after this year, they are building a team that can contend for a few years if they swing a trade for a good QB albeit they are not going to get another Peyton.

They will play the NFC West this year, so we will find out if their O, if it loses Decker or Moreno, is the same without them.

I think Peyton's deal in 2015 will be more salary cap friendly than in 2014, so they may be hedging some bets on that.

Besides, we may be thinking they are going all in for Peyton right now. But even if Peyton retires after this year, they are building a team that can contend for a few years if they swing a trade for a good QB albeit they are not going to get another Peyton.

They will play the NFC West this year, so we will find out if their O, if it loses Decker or Moreno, is the same without them.

I think it is smart to go defense for them. Peyton can make it work with anyone. They don't need to an historic offense again to contend.

I just read on The NFL site that they are both going to meet with the Broncos today, do they have the $$ to sign both of them? If they did, might as well crown their butt ahead of time for the AFC title game and a possible SB appearance return.

It's either all or nothing it seems for the Broncos this year.

I'd like to ask some one who knows (or thinks they do)

..They don't have the cap room left to sign both to lets say $8 mil a season...even losing Champ, Decker, Beadles, Kuper. Tamme and Knowshon

Has to be one or the other, right?

I'd like to ask some one who knows (or thinks they do)

..They don't have the cap room left to sign both to lets say $8 mil a season...even losing Champ, Decker, Beadles, Kuper. Tamme and Knowshon

Has to be one or the other, right?

Broncos started out with roughly $31M in cap space after tendering players and releasing Champ Bailey, and if we subtract the salaries of WR A Caldwell, SS TJ Ward, and CB A Talib:

$31M

-1.75M (WR A Caldwell)

-5.75M (SS TJ Ward)

-9M (A Talib)

----------------

14.5M In cap space

Tendered players are included in the cap space, key part.

Then subtract Rookie Salaries roughly 6-6.5 M

14.5M

-6.5M

---------

8M left to spend in Free Agency

That should be close to the ballpark, IMO.

Broncos started out with roughly $31M in cap space after tendering players and releasing Champ Bailey, and if we subtract the salaries of WR A Caldwell, SS TJ Ward, and CB A Talib:

$31M

-1.75M (WR A Caldwell)

-5.75M (SS TJ Ward)

-9M (A Talib)

----------------

14.5M In cap space

14.5M

-6.5M

---------

I think you are over shooting on the rookie money. I would think the Texans won't even need that much

I think you are over shooting on the rookie money. I would think the Texans won't even need that much

You're probably right. But given the fact that teams like to keep $1-2 mil. for signing players during the season in the case of injuries, it might still end up with the Broncos having about $8 mil. remaining to spend in free agency.

Last year the Donks were great in free agency.

This year, not so much. These moves STINK of desperation. Ward doesn't fit who they are, neither does Ware....

It seems to me that Denver would be fine if they won the Superbowl this year, and were 1-15 for the next two decades.

Oh, they are ALL in for this season, no doubt about it. When Manning hangs it up, Osweiler is going to have a team in cap hell. 

Don't be surprised to see them be aggressive in the draft as well. 

Oh, they are ALL in for this season, no doubt about it. When Manning hangs it up, Osweiler is going to have a team in cap hell. 

Don't be surprised to see them be aggressive in the draft as well. 

Yeah that team is going to be a mess when Peyton leaves.

I'd say they won it the year before last too when they signed Mr. Peyton Manning. It's FA (Broncos) vs Draft (Seattle). So far Draft is 1-0

sure but the point is that you are supposed not have good results with FA. Id say going to SB is a pretty good outcome.

Also the broncos also went there with draft. The core guys, minus PM obviously, were drafted: the thomas, decker, clady and rest of OL, von miller trevathan etc.

Yeah that team is going to be a mess when Peyton leaves.

why? it seems they are building the D. When Pm retires is 20 millions of the books they can use to retool. They didnt pay insane amount to phillips last offseason and if they pull ware, id imagein it will be a 2 year deal. I dont think they are selling their future, those contracts are short deals. Only one is not is Talib, but that dude is young. When they resign the thomases those will be good signings not about winning this year.

why? it seems they are building the D. When Pm retires is 20 millions of the books they can use to retool. They didnt pay insane amount to phillips last offseason and if they pull ware, id imagein it will be a 2 year deal. I dont think they are selling their future, those contracts are short deals. Only one is not is Talib, but that dude is young. When they resign the thomases those will be good signings not about winning this year.

I think when Peyton retires, Welker will retire. Also brining in guys like Ware and or Allen won't help things long term. Talib can't seem to stay healthy and that's A LOT of guarenteed money. I just hope they realize there is football to be played after Peyton retires. As much as I don't like Denver, I don't want to see any team end up like the Raiders.

If they have a scrub when Peyton retires, they are going to be the Curtis Painter Colts.

I think when Peyton retires, Welker will retire. Also brining in guys like Ware and or Allen won't help things long term. Talib can't seem to stay healthy and that's A LOT of guarenteed money. I just hope they realize there is football to be played after Peyton retires. As much as I don't like Denver, I don't want to see any team end up like the Raiders.

If they have a scrub when Peyton retires, they are going to be the Curtis Painter Colts.

Yes, Denver's swan song is now.

I agree with Welker and Ware. but thats my point they are not mortgaging their future with ridiculous deals and not being able to resign their young talent because of those deals to old players like Ware or Welker. They will be able to resign their young talent.

And any team will be crap after their HOF qb retires if they dont get lucky to get another one. Ask dolphins, 49ers or the same broncos. etc. once  Elway/Marino/Young retired it took like 15 years to get a valid QB and becoming respectable again.

Broncos started out with roughly $31M in cap space after tendering players and releasing Champ Bailey, and if we subtract the salaries of WR A Caldwell, SS TJ Ward, and CB A Talib:

$31M

-1.75M (WR A Caldwell)

-5.75M (SS TJ Ward)

-9M (A Talib)

----------------

14.5M In cap space

14.5M

-6.5M

---------

Depending on the signing bonuses for Ward and Talib, they could easily have $7-8M more than that left.  If they are going all in, they are probably reducing 2014 cap hits.  From their draft slot, their #1 pick will have a cap hit of ~$1.25M (net $750K hit), and that will be about the extent of their rookie hits on a net basis.  

They have a lot to spend if they want to.

The only way they could keep this team together is with a QB on a rookie contract, or a VERY low veteran contract.  They'll be busting at the salary cap seams next year when they try to keep Demarius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Von Miller.

Yes, Denver's swan song is now.

I know NE has a great history and system but lets be honest....this is Toms swan song too. The next 2-3 for both is their best shot. Denver just has a better cap situation to work with because a lot of their guys are still on rookie contracts.

I agree with Welker and Ware. but thats my point they are not mortgaging their future with ridiculous deals and not being able to resign their young talent because of those deals to old players like Ware or Welker. They will be able to resign their young talent.

And any team will be crap after their HOF qb retires if they dont get lucky to get another one. Ask dolphins, 49ers or the same broncos. etc. once  Elway/Marino/Young retired it took like 15 years to get a valid QB and becoming respectable again.

Man you are so right in this thread...it isn't funny. They haven't mortgaged anything. They can still re-sign those young guys and while no doubt they will drop from SB contenders when Peyton leaves they have a plan in Osweiler that could at least leave them competitive if he works out. They aren't losing the Thomas twins lol.

Depending on the signing bonuses for Ward and Talib, they could easily have $7-8M more than that left.  If they are going all in, they are probably reducing 2014 cap hits.  From their draft slot, their #1 pick will have a cap hit of ~$1.25M (net $750K hit), and that will be about the extent of their rookie hits on a net basis.  

They have a lot to spend if they want to.

They do have room...plus if they want to cut Tamme and Driessan who are basically 3rd and 4th on their depth charts and special teams players now with JT and Virgil Green ahead of them...they save almost 6 million....plenty of room to address draft and MLB.