Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN's Yates: "Erik Walden Signing Has Not Gone As Planned"

Andy

thank you for proving me wrong I see walden in a whole new light now, hope you feel better

Why the snarkiness? If you are convinced you are right, do a little research and show us the extensive list of OLBs who aren't on their rookie contracts, and have clearly outperformed Walden for less pay. It shouldn't be too tough, assuming you are right.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the snarkiness? If you are convinced you are right, do a little research and show us the extensive list of OLBs who aren't on their rookie contracts, and have clearly outperformed Walden for less pay. It shouldn't be too tough, assuming you are right.

im really not trying to be snarky he proved me wrong and I accept defeat at the time I wasn't talking facts i was kind of blowing smoke

Good point on not recovering.  Just a quick jab on Angerer.  You know I liked him too.

I could have gone more recent for sure, but that was a historic miscue by Lett.  And YES....he was a big bad man on the football field!! :thmup:

You know Brother ,just cant get over peoples blindness,Walden was brought to set the edge ,and that's exactly what he did,and far better than opposite side of the field did.Amazing how 20 sacks will make people overlook that fact.Im not knocking Mathis ,I love the Guy ,but as far as playing the OLB ,Walden is far better at the position.Just saying! We both know his stats comparable to Kruger wich everybody wanted ,and he made what ? Lol a lot more wich was pointed out earlier by some in this thread.Im a fan of Walden , think hes very solid.

You know Brother ,just cant get over peoples blindness,Walden was brought to set the edge ,and that's exactly what he did,and far better than opposite side of the field did.Amazing how 20 sacks will make people overlook that fact.Im not knocking Mathis ,I love the Guy ,but as far as playing the OLB ,Walden is far better at the position.Just saying! We both know his stats comparable to Kruger wich everybody wanted ,and he made what ? Lol a lot more wich was pointed out earlier by some in this thread.Im a fan of Walden , think hes very solid.

Lets look at Kruger's contract as opposed to Walden's

Paul Kruger OLB 28 5 yr $40,500,000 $8,100,000 $20,000,000

Erik Walden OLB 28 4 yr $16,000,000 $4,000,000 $8,000,000 2017

AVG ^^^   Guaranteed^^^                                                             

I feel he will only get better Jay....

Lets look at Kruger's contract as opposed to Walden's

Paul Kruger OLB 28 5 yr $40,500,000 $8,100,000 $20,000,000

Erik Walden OLB 28 4 yr $16,000,000 $4,000,000 $8,000,000 2017

AVG ^^^   Guaranteed^^^                                                             

I feel he will only get better Jay....

As do I Brother,think hes gonna be a steal at that money.His durability seems good ,wich also weighs in.

Well to be fair to Mathis, his run contain responsibilities aren't quite the same as Walden's.  Mathis tends to always crash down on the inside with the weak side ILB flowing to the edge.  So Mathis isn't usually responsible for edge contain from what I can tell.

For example, if the QB appears to be handing off and he stays closer to Mathis than the RB (indicating the RB is either going to the strong side or up the middle) then Mathis will go after the RB and an ILB will watch the QB for a rollout or QB keeper.  On the other hand, if the RB is closer to Mathis, then Mathis will go after the QB leaving the ILB to follow the RB.  This is why many people, myself included, believe the ILB's (and safeties) have been responsible for more busted runs than the DL or OLBs.  Hope that all made sense.

So basically, the Colts defense doesn't seem to play the same responsibilities on both the weak side and the strong side, so the opposing RB does bust off a big run to the weak side it may not necessarily have been Mathis' fault.

Well to be fair to Mathis, his run contain responsibilities aren't quite the same as Walden's.  Mathis tends to always crash down on the inside with the weak side ILB flowing to the edge.  So Mathis isn't usually responsible for edge contain from what I can tell.

For example, if the QB appears to be handing off and he stays closer to Mathis than the RB (indicating the RB is either going to the strong side or up the middle) then Mathis will go after the RB and an ILB will watch the QB for a rollout or QB keeper.  On the other hand, if the RB is closer to Mathis, then Mathis will go after the QB leaving the ILB to follow the RB.  This is why many people, myself included, believe the ILB's (and safeties) have been responsible for more busted runs than the DL or OLBs.  Hope that all made sense.

So basically, the Colts defense doesn't seem to play the same responsibilities on both the weak side and the strong side, so the opposing RB does bust off a big run to the weak side it may not necessarily have been Mathis' fault.

Good post Jason.

However, Mathis IS awful at contain and setting the edge when applicable. As we know...his job is sack-mater general...but someone on his side HAS to stay home.

Your post is pretty much spot on!

Wont disagree one bit with your post.Dont think im ragging on Mathis far from it ,Love the guy,Just was trying to make a point,in that Walden does exactly what hes asked to do in this D. ,wich is rather unorthodox to say the least.That keeps people guessing ,that is a good thing.

Walden is doing the job he was brought in to do!

The real key to his signing is that if they find someone who can do a better job, his contract is set up so that he can be released after this coming year at a very small cap hit.

Personally I think that he will get better and is a keeper!

It would be a bonus to see the team grooming someone to take over his spot in a year or two.

Walden is doing the job he was brought in to do!

The real key to his signing is that if they find someone who can do a better job, his contract is set up so that he can be released after this coming year at a very small cap hit.

Personally I think that he will get better and is a keeper!

It would be a bonus to see the team grooming someone to take over his spot in a year or two.

Exactly. I'd like to see us draft someone who can take over at Sam after a year, making Walden expendable. He's not anything special, and is limited in his ability as a playmaker. Having a younger, more athletic, less expensive alternative would be great.