Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I like the Jones pick but Borland would be a reach in the 2nd round and he really doesn't fit the defensive scheme. If we do decide to go ILB in the 2nd Preston Brown, Christian Jones, and Khairi Fortt would be better options.

Nfl network is overhyping Borland . They have him ahead of skov and Smallwood.

Also why has small woods stock dropped so bad? Was he just hype.

The knock on Smallwood is he is not a thumper and is very inconsistent shedding blocks, Needs to learn to play with some aggression, 6'3" 235lb but plays smaller then his size, Does pretty decent in coverage, Overrated by some

The knock on Smallwood is he is not a thumper and is very inconsistent shedding blocks, Needs to learn to play with some aggression, 6'3" 235lb but plays smaller then his size, Does pretty decent in coverage, Overrated by some

People here had us taking him as early as the 2nd and nfl network has him being taken somewhere in the 6th. Where does he go I yo?

Perfect summary of Smallwood.  

People here had us taking him as early as the 2nd and nfl network has him being taken somewhere in the 6th. Where does he go I yo?

If its me Im not spending anything more then a high 4th on him in a trade down, He is just very average to me, Doesn't do anything to warrant a 2nd round pick, Now if he played with a mean streak then I'd be higher on him but he dont play up to his size, He has quite a bit of potential but he needs to play up to his size

If its me Im not spending anything more then a high 4th on him in a trade down, He is just very average to me, Doesn't do anything to warrant a 2nd round pick, Now if he played with a mean streak then I'd be higher on him but he dont play up to his size

True but we need a ilb that can cover on 3rd and long to match up on TEs like Gronk and Jimmy Graham and cover zones. He covers well on zone plays and has the only size out of everyone on the colts and athletic ability to match up to freak of nature TEs. The athleticism he has that gives him the ability to cover combined with size can't be taught, but pagano can teach him to be nasty and hungry and fly to the ball carrier wrap up and tackle. That's why I feel he's a better prospect than Borland because even though his instincts and tackling are great he's small, slow, and unathletic not saying he couldn't even be a starter just that he has a ceiling there where Smallwood does not. We should snap him in the 3rd I think if he's there, it maybe a reach but it feels a big need with a large upside

True but we need a ilb that can cover on 3rd and long to match up on TEs like Gronk and Jimmy Graham and cover zones. He covers well on zone plays and has the only size out of everyone on the colts and athletic ability to match up to freak of nature TEs. The athleticism he has that gives him the ability to cover combined with size can't be taught, but pagano can teach him to be nasty and hungry and fly to the ball carrier wrap up and tackle. That's why I feel he's a better prospect than Borland because even though his instincts and tackling are great he's small, slow, and unathletic not saying he couldn't even be a starter just that he has a ceiling there where Smallwood does not. We should snap him in the 3rd I think if he's there, it maybe a reach but it feels a big need with a large upside

I mean I'd be alright with him in the bottom of the 3rd but if I can get him in the 4th and get an extra pick in a trade down, Yep Ill do that, Borland showed some athleticism at the Combine, His short arms are a cause of concern for me, I think Shawn Jackson out of Tulsa is twice the ILB that Smallwood is but because he plays at Tulsa he gets no coverage

I mean I'd be alright with him in the bottom of the 3rd but if I can get him in the 4th and get an extra pick in a trade down, Yep Ill do that, Borland showed some athleticism at the Combine, His short arms are a cause of concern for me, I think Shawn Jackson out of Tulsa is twice the ILB that Smallwood is but because he plays at Tulsa he gets no coverage

I'll have to watch him is he on YouTube? And what you said would be more than ideal. We really gotta nail these picks because drafting is just so much more valuable and best way to build into a sb team with the new cba and rookie contracts.

Smallwood stock has dropped because he ran a 5.00 40 time and Mayock said he was inconsistent. He did pull his hamstring during the combine which effected his time but it wasn't serious. He's still good but he will probably fall to the 4th or 5th round.

I'll have to watch him is he on YouTube? And what you said would be more than ideal. We really gotta nail these picks because drafting is just so much more valuable and best way to build into a sb team with the new cba and rookie contracts.

Watch who? Smallwood? Borland? Jackson?

I like the Jones pick but Borland would be a reach in the 2nd round and he really doesn't fit the defensive scheme. If we do decide to go ILB in the 2nd Preston Brown, Christian Jones, and Khairi Fortt would be better options.

I'd like to see where all the mocks and grades end up at the end of this combine.  Preston Brown is an interesting ILB.  He could very well be there in the 3rd or 4th.  Possibly later.  I still like Max Bullough, but he's a bit slow.I think that one of my favorite under the radar guys is Howard Jones.  He's a little raw, but there's no question that he can be an explosive player.  He's just a little small height-wise, but if we invested a year in him, I think he'd make and excellent ILB.

I think we need to invest a early pick on a ILB. I know last year draft picks were mostly project players but we need a guy who can come in and have an immediate impact on the defense.

I'd like to see where all the mocks and grades end up at the end of this combine.  Preston Brown is an interesting ILB.  He could very well be there in the 3rd or 4th.  Possibly later.  I still like Max Bullough, but he's a bit slow.I think that one of my favorite under the radar guys is Howard Jones.  He's a little raw, but there's no question that he can be an explosive player.  He's just a little small height-wise, but if we invested a year in him, I think he'd make and excellent ILB.

This is a deep safety class one of the best i've seen. Bucannon and Pryor are guys that could be there in the 2nd, but we also could get Ed Reynolds or Bailey in the 3rd. Kenny Ladler could fall to the 5th as well. There are only 2 or 3 ILB's that really fit our scheme that's considered top prospects at the position. Preston Brown, Christian Jones, and Khiari Fortt, after that it's a huge drop off. With all three having great combines if we want one it would have to be in the 2nd round.

I'd like to go Safety in the 2nd and take care of the Oline in FA. Ha Ha....pun intended :)

I think we need to invest a early pick on a ILB. I know last year draft picks were mostly project players but we need a guy who can come in and have an immediate impact on the defense.

That's why I think we should sign a serviceable ILB in the free agency.  I'd be more comfortable doing that, and picking up a DT, WR and/or CB in the 2nd/3rd, where this draft class is really deep.  I'm not too convinced that this class of ILBs are very good.  Outside of Mosley all these guys come with a pretty good share of red flags (injury more so than character) and/or developmental issues.  I'm not convinced that any of them would be a guy who could come in and start right away.

This is a deep safety class one of the best i've seen. Bucannon and Pryor are guys that could be there in the 2nd, but we also could get Ed Reynolds or Bailey in the 3rd. Kenny Ladler could fall to the 5th as well. There are only 2 or 3 ILB's that really fit our scheme that's considered top prospects at the position. Preston Brown, Christian Jones, and Khiari Fortt, after that it's a huge drop off. With all three having great combines if we want one it would have to be in the 2nd round.

If we're talking SS, then yeah, it's solid.  FS is solid too, but I think it's pretty top heavy.  Outside of Clinton-Dix and Pryor (whom I think will be gone before we have a chance to draft them).  Bailey and Ladler I think is too slow to cover large portions of the field if necessary, which means we'd have to rely too much on our SS to play in coverage (and we all know that's not his forte - spacing on his name and it's driving me nuts). 

Reynolds I like.  There's nothing special about his athletic ability, but if he can be a ball hawk and anticipate well, he would play faster than his limitations.  I don't think that his athletic ability is any worse than say Jairus Byrd - who wasn't the fastest guy or anything, but he knows where to be and when to be there.  If Reynolds can do that, I'm all for spending a mid round selection on him.

Brooks - See Reynolds, but more athletic, but with worse tackling technique.

That's the dilemma, Donald Butler is the only good young ILB in free agency but he will probably resign with the Chargers. Dansby is up there in age and injuries is a concern with those type of players. I think Preston Brown can come in day 1, start and have an immediate impact in the front 7. I wouldn't mind if we drafted a DE or CB if some of the better ILB's are gone, but if some are there i think we should draft one.

That's why I think we should sign a serviceable ILB in the free agency.  I'd be more comfortable doing that, and picking up a DT, WR and/or CB in the 2nd/3rd, where this draft class is really deep.  I'm not too convinced that this class of ILBs are very good.  Outside of Mosley all these guys come with a pretty good share of red flags (injury more so than character) and/or developmental issues.  I'm not convinced that any of them would be a guy who could come in and start right away.

Pryor isn't going to be there in the 2nd.

Why doesn't Borland fit in the system?  Wisconsin played a base 3-4, Borland is a four year starter, and his production was crazy.  I think one of the things lost during the combine and all the gym short drills is, can the kid play football?  Borland is one of the most productive defenders in this draft.  He had 420 career tackles, 50 for loss, 17 sacks and 15 forced fumbles in his four years.  I think the London Fletcher, Zach Thomas comparisons aren't far off.  I'd take an ILB like that all day. 

As an aside, one of the teams who met with Borland at the combine was the Ravens.  If the Ravens like him, I bet the Colts do too. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-wisconsin-linebacker-chris-borland-met-with-ravens-20140223,0,5575919.story

He's not athletic and can't cover. There's more to being an ILB then just tackling. Were in man coverage 90% of the game we need a ILB that's good against the run and can cover TE's and some WR's on crossing routes.

Why doesn't Borland fit in the system?  Wisconsin played a base 3-4, Borland is a four year starter, and his production was crazy.  I think one of the things lost during the combine and all the gym short drills is, can the kid play football?  Borland is one of the most productive defenders in this draft.  He had 420 career tackles, 50 for loss, 17 sacks and 15 forced fumbles in his four years.  I think the London Fletcher, Zach Thomas comparisons aren't far off.  I'd take an ILB like that all day. 

As an aside, one of the teams who met with Borland at the combine was the Ravens.  If the Ravens like him, I bet the Colts do too. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-wisconsin-linebacker-chris-borland-met-with-ravens-20140223,0,5575919.story

That's the dilemma, Donald Butler is the only good young ILB in free agency but he will probably resign with the Chargers. Dansby is up there in age and injuries is a concern with those type of players. I think Preston Brown can come in day 1, start and have an immediate impact in the front 7. I wouldn't mind if we drafted a DE or CB if some of the better ILB's are gone, but if some are there i think we should draft one.

Well, I think part of your thinking is that you only want to sign an ILB long term (or at least that's the impression I'm getting).  There are some stop gap guys like Perry Riley, who would be good that we could use a year or two, and then stick in someone like Howard Jones.  Granted, it does put off the issue of ILB to a wait and see approach, but we're going to have those sorts of issues somewhere on our roster every year for the rest of our lives - you'll never be perfect everywhere. 

But as you say, that's the dilemma.  You just can't unfortunately fill every need in one offseason.  And by the time you are able to fill what's left over from last year, you have more needs to address.  It all jsut depends on what's the best way to approach it, and we're both only wrong if we don't appropriately fix other issues by signing or drafting busts, overspending, etc.

He's not athletic and can't cover. There's more to being an ILB then just tackling. Were in man coverage 90% of the game we need a ILB that's good against the run and can cover TE's and some WR's on crossing routes.

From the Senior Bowl -

"Writing for sportsonearth.com, Lande said, “While NFL teams generally do not get excited about 5-foot-11 linebackers, there is no question that Borland’s play all week had NFL people almost giddy. He was clearly the most athletic and versatile linebacker on either squad and shocked people with how smooth and fluid he was in pass coverage and his dynamic pass rush skills.”

Athleticism won't be his issue.  Height and arm length will be, to some.  

I've said before Smallwood is overrated. I'd be okay taking him in the later rounds if he went on the 4-6th like Mayock suggested. Tape is too inconsistent for him to be taken high. If we take any ILB early it has to be Skov or Bullough. Borland is too small to cover. Skov is a question mark there but he has the physical traits to learn how to drop. Bullough is a proven player and he can cover. Question with him is physicality IMO. Skov is definitely a future captain and signal caller though.

From the Senior Bowl -

"Writing for sportsonearth.com, Lande said, “While NFL teams generally do not get excited about 5-foot-11 linebackers, there is no question that Borland’s play all week had NFL people almost giddy. He was clearly the most athletic and versatile linebacker on either squad and shocked people with how smooth and fluid he was in pass coverage and his dynamic pass rush skills.”

Keep in mind that the guys he'll be facing on Sunday will on average be bigger, stronger, and faster than anyone in the senior bowl.

I've said before Smallwood is overrated. I'd be okay taking him in the later rounds if he went on the 4-6th like Mayock suggested. Tape is too inconsistent for him to be taken high. If we take any ILB early it has to be Skov or Bullough. Borland is too small to cover. Skov is a question mark there but he has the physical traits to learn how to drop. Bullough is a proven player and he can cover. Question with him is physicality IMO. Skov is definitely a future captain and signal caller though.

The more I watch and look into it, the more I think that I just don't think any inside linebacker in this draft merits a pick higher than a 5th rounder except Mosley.  Projects and tweeners galore.

From the Senior Bowl -

Ya, but he`s not athletic! ;-)

He looked it at the combine. I thought he looked Quick on tape.

The reason so many Combine guys with good measureables fail is whats NOT inside their head.

Borland is years ahead of where some of these board favs are, and where most of them will ever get.

Yes i may be wrong, but i don`t see an Angerer who dragged guys down after 5yds. I see a guy who will get to his hole and stick them. Talks cheap of course.

Borland in the 3rd sounds good. 

Keep in mind that the guys he'll be facing on Sunday will on average be bigger, stronger, and faster than anyone in the senior bowl.

How so?  The 2014 NFL draft class will be full of players who participated in the Senior Bowl.  The guys players will face on Sundays are the guys playing in the Senior Bowl, East West game, went to the combine...  That's how they get into the NFL. 

Here is a decent article about how many first round picks have played in recent Senior Bowl events:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/24/5338540/2014-senior-bowl-history-nfl-draft-eric-fisher

The more I watch and look into it, the more I think that I just don't think any inside linebacker in this draft merits a pick higher than a 5th rounder except Mosley.  Projects and tweeners galore.

You may be right there. I'm starting to feel the same. This draft class of ILBs isn't as deep as I originally said before. It is but it isn't. Its deep in the sense that there are alot of promising prospects at the position,but there's too many knocks and questions surrounding all the guys not named C.J. Mosley.

I didn't see one LB that really sold me on him. I was routing hard for Bullough and Brown, but they didn't blow it open. I was most impressed with that Howard Jones kid, but he may be a OLB which is perfectly fine.

Probably best to use the first 2 picks on a corner and DE, or WR and Corner

You may be right there. I'm starting to feel the same. This draft class of ILBs isn't as deep as I originally said before. It is but it isn't. Its deep in the sense that there are alot of promising prospects at the position,but there's too many knocks and questions surrounding all the guys not named C.J. Mosley.

I didn't see one LB that really sold me on him. I was routing hard for Bullough and Brown, but they didn't blow it open. I was most impressed with that Howard Jones kid, but he may be a OLB which is perfectly fine.

Probably best to use the first 2 picks on a corner and DE, or WR and Corner

I am in complete agreement with you on Howard and what to do with our first two picks (I'd also throw DT in there as well, more on that later).  I said it above, but I think Howard showed extremely well.  He's one of those guys that is just a bit undersized height wise.  But he's still an explosive athlete that he could find a spot somewhere on our D. To be honest, I think if he could improve his play recognition, and learn coverage (and be good at it) he could be a fantastic ILB.  Otherwise, I think he'd be a strong situational OLB.  As with most other LBs in this class, he's a project that I wouldn't mind signing a stop gap player in the mean time.

As for the rest of the ILBs, I still like Bullough and Brown too.  They will have their obvious limitations in the passing game, but will be useful as a run stopper, which we desperately need ath this point.  If either are there, in the I'm not sure how the Cotls have graded him out, but I'd be thrilled if we got one in the 6th or 7th - 5th may be pushing it, but again, depends on how we feel about him and will use him.  I don't think I'd be upset if we took one of those guys in the 5th, but I'd be a bit critical if we passed on someone better.

As for the 2nd and 3rd round picks, totally agree.  It depends on who's available.  While I personally think our bigger needs are at CB and WR, if a guy like RaShede Hagaman happens to drop to us, I'd pounce on him in a heartbeat.  I really think that this draft will work most in our favor because so many of hte projected 1st round guys aren't necessarily positions of needs and the ones that are, are the deepest positions in the draft as a whole. 

I am in complete agreement with you on Howard and what to do with our first two picks (I'd also throw DT in there as well, more on that later).  I said it above, but I think Howard showed extremely well.  He's one of those guys that is just a bit undersized height wise.  But he's still an explosive athlete that he could find a spot somewhere on our D. To be honest, I think if he could improve his play recognition, and learn coverage (and be good at it) he could be a fantastic ILB.  Otherwise, I think he'd be a strong situational OLB.  As with most other LBs in this class, he's a project that I wouldn't mind signing a stop gap player in the mean time.

As for the rest of the ILBs, I still like Bullough and Brown too.  They will have their obvious limitations in the passing game, but will be useful as a run stopper, which we desperately need ath this point.  If either are there, in the I'm not sure how the Cotls have graded him out, but I'd be thrilled if we got one in the 6th or 7th - 5th may be pushing it, but again, depends on how we feel about him and will use him.  I don't think I'd be upset if we took one of those guys in the 5th, but I'd be a bit critical if we passed on someone better.

As for the 2nd and 3rd round picks, totally agree.  It depends on who's available.  While I personally think our bigger needs are at CB and WR, if a guy like RaShede Hagaman happens to drop to us, I'd pounce on him in a heartbeat.  I really think that this draft will work most in our favor because so many of hte projected 1st round guys aren't necessarily positions of needs and the ones that are, are the deepest positions in the draft as a whole. 

Exactly. Its simple. If there are more teams with OL and WR needs in the first (which there are), that means a lot of first round worthy talents at other positions get pushed down further. Hageman could be one. Or one of those top corners. But yeah, depends on whose there. If Matthews, Robinson, and Hageman are gone I think we take one of those corners. Maybe McGill, and if by some miracle Darqueze Dennard falls, we'll take him. If the right WR is there, I think we're taking him as much as people don't want too. If not that, then we could take Smith from Louisville.  When it's all said and done though, I think the BPA available when we pick if we don't trade down will be a corner or WR.

Exactly. Its simple. If there are more teams with OL and WR needs in the first (which there are), that means a lot of first round worthy talents at other positions get pushed down further. Hageman could be one. Or one of those top corners. But yeah, depends on whose there. If Matthews, Robinson, and Hageman are gone I think we take one of those corners. Maybe McGill, and if by some miracle Darqueze Dennard falls, we'll take him. If the right WR is there, I think we're taking him as much as people don't want too. If not that, then we could take Smith from Louisville.  When it's all said and done though, I think the BPA available when we pick if we don't trade down will be a corner or WR.

I agree too on the BPA bit.  I know the mock drafts aren't set in stone and hardly anythign to hang your hat on, but everytime you see one with more than one round, there just always seems to be better avaialble talent at those two positions, as well as DE/DT, G, and C.  But we'll see.  Gotta get through free agency first. 

He could be he didn't run a great 40 time and he's 5'11. Teams are looking for big safeties and CB's to copy what the Seahawks did.

4.58 isn't that bad for a safety where anticipation can make up for speed. And Earl Thomas is only 5'10

4.58 isn't that bad for a safety where anticipation can make up for speed. And Earl Thomas is only 5'10

I agree.  I think there's a couple of good safties that may not have the profile, but with a little teaching and discipline, could be excellent - Reynolds and Brooks are my picks.  Not sure if they are worth a 2nd or 3rd...but if they're there in the 5th, give me one of them and I bet he pays off by 2015.