Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 02/21

sb41champs

:blueshoe:   Former Colts GM Bill Polian was interviewed last night on a central Indiana TV news broadcast.

In his interview - Polian indicated that the Colts NEED defensive "playmakers".  He went on to name Robert Mathis - Jerrell Freeman - and - Antoine Bethea (FA) as the only "playmakers" on the Colts D.

:blueshoe:   Agree - or - disagree with Polians assessment ?? 

The playoffs made it quite clear if some of the blowouts we suffered didn`t.

In the games our D-Line was more effective, Freeman made a lot of plays. Like Jacksonville. Mathis too with 3 sacks in that game.

Bethea stuffs Some plays near the line of scrimmage and the 1st down marker, but historically mostly just cleans up Pretty Well as we are getting run over.
Most understand he has issues defending the pass.

Astonished that Polian named Freeman, since he was a Grigson pick-up...

Not surprised he didn't mention Vontae, since he was a Grigson pick-up...

I'm not sure if Vontae qualifies as a play maker.  And I don't mean that to question his abilities.  To me he's more or less a guy that prevents plays from happening for the offense.  He prevents the receiver from making a play with the ball.  Which is ultimately what you want from a CB.

But he's not a guy who makes big splash tackles, certainly not a guy who sacks the QB, and he doesn't come up with a lot of interceptions either.  So I don't see him as a play maker.  

Mathis and Freeman really are the only guys who are consistently play makers on defense. 

Well, considering that "Defensive Playmakers" seemed to be the major strength of this year's SB champs, I'd have to agree with him.

The Seahawks won the SB because they put pressure on Manning with only 3 D linemen and dropped

everyone else back in coverage. The SB was won in the trenches by top quality D linemen blowing

up the Bronco's O line.

:blueshoe:   Former Colts GM Bill Polian was interviewed last night on a central Indiana TV news broadcast.

In his interview - Polian indicated that the Colts NEED defensive "playmakers".  He went on to name Robert Mathis - Jerrell Freeman - and - Antoine Bethea (FA) as the only "playmakers" on the Colts D.

:blueshoe:   Agree - or - disagree with Polians assessment ?? 

Generally, I make it a policy to avoid commenting on something that I haven't seen or viewed through a corresponding link. It's not fair to Bill Polian or the person being evaluated. Plus, I like to see their facial expressions & hear their tone/ body language when they have an interview. Not every Colts fan receives a local Indiana TV broadcast or lives in the same state geographically speaking. 

I think Grigs knows what he is doing & Bill doesn't work for Jim Irsay as GM anymore so while his opinion is fine; Bill is not running the show anymore.