Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How I would approach Free Agency

Dark Superman

Now let me explain to everyone I'm in no shape or form a cap guru. This just my opinion on how we may spend in free agency within the next three years.

I was thinking after resigning our own, if we were to give out any big contracts within the feet two years we should front load the contract with giving the player more money in there first two years and a lot less there third year and anything beyond that.

So whatever situation we may be in that we have a lot of talented players in 2016.. But when that time comes we set ourselves up with a good amount if cap space in 2016 so we are able to sign a ton of guys who's contracts will be up that year. [ Luck,Hilton,Richardson,Ballard,Fleener and Allen] I know the Colts will want to retain a majority if not all of those names.

If we are able to land some good talent within the next two years and somehow manage to save cap for 2016 I think we should be fit to make a strong run at a title for years to come.

Like I said I am no cap expert but just being a ordinary fan this kind of makes sense to me.

Thoughts?

I was thinking after resigning our own, if we were to give out any big contracts within the feet two years we should front load the contract with giving the player more money in there first two years and a lot less there third year and anything beyond that.

You are essentially describing what Grigson did last year in free agency - within reason.  You can't front load as much as you would like, because players are human and no matter how much they got up front, they spend it or start to forget it by year 3 or 4 when the new money coming in is much lower than it was.  

What do you guys think of a late round flyer on Khairi Fortt out of California(I'd prefer Boseko Lokombo late), He has an explosive first step, He is 6'2 240lbs, can play ILB/OLB, shows hip flexability(the 2nd trait I look for in a Linebacker) to turn and make a play on an elusive runner in space, He tackles well and brings a mean hit, Downside is he was not asked to drop back in Zone much http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=khairi+fortt+cal&sm=1

What do you guys think of a late round flyer on Khairi Fortt out of California(I'd prefer Boseko Lokombo late), He has an explosive first step, He is 6'2 240lbs, can play ILB/OLB, shows hip flexability(the 2nd trait I look for in a Linebacker) to turn and make a play on an elusive runner in space, He tackles well and brings a mean hit, Downside is he was not asked to drop back in Zone much http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=khairi+fortt+cal&sm=1

I watched him some at Penn State.. He had great speed and instincts. I like him.

unfortunately I am not up to date with this years NFL prospects going into the draft. so I really don't know who all is coming out defensively that could help us on defense. I mean guys like Manziel, Bridgewater, TAMU LT , McCarron, Murray, Marquis Lee who are all on offense and three of which who are projected to go in the top 5 if not top 3 this year. but defensively I'm clueless this year.

Now let me explain to everyone I'm in no shape or form a cap guru. This just my opinion on how we may spend in free agency within the next three years.

So whatever situation we may be in that we have a lot of talented players in 2016.. But when that time comes we set ourselves up with a good amount if cap space in 2016 so we are able to sign a ton of guys who's contracts will be up that year. [ Luck,Hilton,Richardson,Ballard,Fleener and Allen] I know the Colts will want to retain a majority if not all of those names.

If we are able to land some good talent within the next two years and somehow manage to save cap for 2016 I think we should be fit to make a strong run at a title for years to come.

Like I said I am no cap expert but just being a ordinary fan this kind of makes sense to me.

Thoughts?

I think you are on the right track but I would rarely even delve in the free agent market. It is high risk and the percentage that work out is low. I would concentrate on the draft and signing our own players just like you suggest.

I say go for it !! another ILB/OLB that should be there in the 7th is Andrew Jackson from Western Kentucky.

I think you are on the right track but I would rarely even delve in the free agent market. It is high risk and the percentage that work out is low. I would concentrate on the draft and signing our own players just like you suggest.

You have to delve into FA. You have to spend like ~80% of your cap space.

I say we sign Brent grimes cut ties with Toler sign Vilma to a average deal a little better the vet min and draft defense/O line. Resign Vontae, boomstick. Hoping we get a WR in like the 6th round I don't know if Josh huff will fall that far to us.

Why would we sign washed up Vilma? :groan: