Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns hire Mike Pettine as their new head coach

bap1331

May God bless the guy. He may be searching for another job at this time next year.

Lolll!!! Honestly the Browns just chose bad timing for firing and hiring. Tampa took everyone immediately and made a monster staff. I'm really excited to see them.

But not only did the Browns miss on RG3 2 years ago, it happens to them all the c time. That team is cursed

I feel like they really wanted Adam Gase, but he refused.  No one wants to go to Cleveland.  Incompetence from the very top will do that.  You had a coach that showed some promise in Chudzi and you had a chance to let him draft guys to fit his system this year.  Instead, you cut him loose and are forced to still pay him.  Interestingly, they also gave Pettine a 5 year deal, so if they get new management or something again in a few years, that'll be another coach they have to pay to not coach for them.  I don't like Pettine as a head coach, judging from the very limited exposure I've had to him, and I think that team needs an offensive-minded person to lead them.  Such a mess of an organization...

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/browns-name-mike-pettine-head-coach-012314

Interesting. I thought nobody wanted that job I was about to apply for it...

He's led his defenses to a top 10 D for the past few years. Maybe they can stop the points from coming in now all they would really need is an offense...?

You do know that Cleveland had a top 10 defense last season...didn't you? I don't know enough about this guy to know if he will make a good HC, but Buffalo fans seem to be upset about losing him. What I wonder is if since this guy is a 4-3 guy, will they stick with the 3-4 since they just switched last yr. to begin with and spent a lot of money to bring in 3-4 guys.

You do know that Cleveland had a top 10 defense last season...didn't you? I don't know enough about this guy to know if he will make a good HC, but Buffalo fans seem to be upset about losing him. What I wonder is if since this guy is a 4-3 guy, will they stick with the 3-4 since they just switched last yr. to begin with and spent a lot of money to bring in 3-4 guys.

He coached the 34 while in NY

Lolll!!! Honestly the Browns just chose bad timing for firing and hiring. Tampa took everyone immediately and made a monster staff. I'm really excited to see them.

But not only did the Browns miss on RG3 2 years ago, it happens to them all the c time. That team is cursed

That lacks luster lately.

Seems like the Redskins may have missed on him also.

I think the Browns dodged a bullet by not getting Bob3.

I feel like they really wanted Adam Gase, but he refused.  No one wants to go to Cleveland.  Incompetence from the very top will do that.  You had a coach that showed some promise in Chudzi and you had a chance to let him draft guys to fit his system this year.  Instead, you cut him loose and are forced to still pay him.  Interestingly, they also gave Pettine a 5 year deal, so if they get new management or something again in a few years, that'll be another coach they have to pay to not coach for them.  I don't like Pettine as a head coach, judging from the very limited exposure I've had to him, and I think that team needs an offensive-minded person to lead them.  Such a mess of an organization...

Cleveland where coaching careers go to die. I want the Browns to have a taste of success at least. I truly do, but like you say 21isSuperman, front office incompetence will always sabotage any organizational growth entirely. 

How many coaching changes have the once proud Browns made in the last ten= years? I feel sorry for their fans.

10 years ago, in the 2003 season, it was Butch Davis.  Then Terry Robiskie for a year.  Crennel 2005-2008.  Mangini 2009-2010.  Shurmer for 2 years, Chudzi for 1, then Pettine.  For those keeping score at home, that's 7 coaches in the last 10 years

10 years ago, in the 2003 season, it was Butch Davis. Then Terry Robiskie for a year. Crennel 2005-2008. Mangini 2009-2010. Shurmer for 2 years, Chudzi for 1, then Pettine. For those keeping score at home, that's 7 coaches in the last 10 years

definition of stability

Explain to me what promise you saw in Chud...

He took a 5-11 team, added Mingo, Kruger and Desmond Bryant. Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon emerged as stars and then went 4-12. There were more then 2 games where he was completely out of time outs before the start of the 2nd quarter. 

I need to know, what promise you saw, because I did not see it. 

I think so. IMO Chudzinski was a bad hire. Didn't sound like the Carolina offensive players minded him leaving.

I said it at the time of the hire, there was not one upset person when Chud left. Even the fans were glad to see him gone.

It is not the same as with Pettine. Everyone from the buffalo side thinks it sucks. 

Explain to me what promise you saw in Chud...

He took a 5-11 team, added Mingo, Kruger and Desmond Bryant. Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon emerged as stars and then went 4-12. There were more then 2 games where he was completely out of time outs before the start of the 2nd quarter. 

I need to know, what promise you saw, because I did not see it. 

From what I recall, several of their games were lost by less than a TD.  He also had a chance to really develop the team into what he wanted with all those draft picks.  His coaching helped guys like Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon emerge as stars despite having QBs like Hoyer and Weeden.  He may have had something to learn, but I think he showed some potential

From what I recall, several of their games were lost by less than a TD.  He also had a chance to really develop the team into what he wanted with all those draft picks.  His coaching helped guys like Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon emerge as stars despite having QBs like Hoyer and Weeden.  He may have had something to learn, but I think he showed some potential

I see the opposite. I see a guy who consistently lost games we should have won. New England, the Jets game, Kansas City, Cincinatti. We led at halftime in almost every game and consistently came out at halftime with no adjustments. 

I saw improved QB play (yes, I said improved) from the previous season. Jason Cambell and Brian Hoyer were both better than Weeden was last year. Heck! Even Brandon Weeden was better than he was the year before and we still lost more games than the previous season. We got the doors blown off us at the end of the season, we had Devonne Bess causing a horrible distraction and yet he made no adjustments. 

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't think losing by less than a touchdown is something to hang your hat on, ever. I view it as, you're just not innovative enough as a coach to get those or stop those additional points. 

Pat Shurmur, who I thought was the worst coach the Browns have ever had went 5-11. We went 4-12 this season with a vastly improved roster. 

I see the opposite. I see a guy who consistently lost games we should have won. New England, the Jets game, Kansas City, Cincinatti. We led at halftime in almost every game and consistently came out at halftime with no adjustments. 

I saw improved QB play (yes, I said improved) from the previous season. Jason Cambell and Brian Hoyer were both better than Weeden was last year. Heck! Even Brandon Weeden was better than he was the year before and we still lost more games than the previous season. We got the doors blown off us at the end of the season, we had Devonne Bess causing a horrible distraction and yet he made no adjustments. 

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I don't think losing by less than a touchdown is something to hang your hat on, ever. I view it as, you're just not innovative enough as a coach to get those or stop those additional points. 

Pat Shurmur, who I thought was the worst coach the Browns have ever had went 5-11. We went 4-12 this season with a vastly improved roster. 

I can understand your opinion.  I just don't think it's a good idea to fire a coach after one year.  Give him more time to make a mark on the team and shape the roster to his system and really see what he can do.  What's your opinion of Pettine?

I can understand your opinion.  I just don't think it's a good idea to fire a coach after one year.  Give him more time to make a mark on the team and shape the roster to his system and really see what he can do.  What's your opinion of Pettine?

Normally I would agree, but here is how I put it to my mother. I said "Mom, if you hired a crappy mechanic who had crappy tools (Shurmur) and you fired him for not fixing you car right. Wouldn't you also fire a guy who had better tools and made your car even worse than it was before (Chud), or would you keep him around and hope he gets it right?"

Chip Kelley made the playoffs, we went 4-12. Chud just wasn't good. 

My opinion of Pettine is that most, if not anyone you talk to that is a fan of New York or Buffallo, they didn't want to see him go. That is not the case with Chud, every Carolina fan I knew was glad to see him go, as well as the players talking ill of him. People liking you doesn't equate to wins but it certainly isn't a red flag like we had with Chud. 

Normally I would agree, but here is how I put it to my mother. I said "Mom, if you hired a crappy mechanic who had crappy tools (Shurmur) and you fired him for not fixing you car right. Wouldn't you also fire a guy who had better tools and made your car even worse than it was before (Chud), or would you keep him around and hope he gets it right?"

Chip Kelley made the playoffs, we went 4-12. Chud just wasn't good. 

My opinion of Pettine is that most, if not anyone you talk to that is a fan of New York or Buffallo, they didn't want to see him go. That is not the case with Chud, every Carolina fan I knew was glad to see him go, as well as the players talking ill of him. People liking you doesn't equate to wins but it certainly isn't a red flag like we had with Chud. 

I'm really pulling for you guys.  The Browns have some of the league's most passionate fans and they deserve more success.  Your avatar says it all...forever loyal to the bone