Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Matthews

I realize it is still early to speculate, but is there any hope this guy makes it to the 2nd round? Apparently he has stood out at the Senior Bowl, but there are a number of good WRs in the draft. I am not sure he will grade out higher than Watkins, Lee, Evans, Benjamin, and Allen Robinson.

I could see the Redskins being willing to trade back in order to accumulate an extra pick or two in order to offset the picks lost in the RGIII trade.

If he makes it to the 2nd round, I have no doubt we would have to trade up for him, but he could be a great addition. We obviously need a WR, but he would complement Hilton beautifully, and to have him learn from Wayne for at least a year would be so beneficial.

If he makes it to the 2nd round, I would have to consider trading our 2nd and our 2nd in 2015 to move up to get him.

I've had my eye on him for a quite a while, I dont think he falls out of the 1st round, Certainly out of our reach at the bottom of the 2nd, Great hands, Good speed, Not as physical as I'd like but huge upside if he goes to the right team

If he runs a bad 40 he could fall to our pick. Watkins, Evans, Lee, and Benjamin will go before him not sure about Robinson. Matthews is a good player but i don't think we need a WR. There are players at the Senior Bowl i would take over him like Keith Mcgill CB, Jaylen Watkins CB, Gabe Jackson G, and Dee Ford OLB.

Some early mocks have him going 26th....not sure he will make it to us...or for a trade up as the OP mentions.

He came from a good program at Vandy, and it does not hurt that he is Jerry Rice's cousin :)

I think our first pick will not be a WR....UNLESS we heare Reggie has a setback.  Regardless, I do like Mathews!!! :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Im not sold on Dee Ford....But Im open to someone trying to convince me, Undisciplined vs the run to much to me(its led to Auburn getting gashed...multiple times in the SEC Championship game vs Missouri), Doesn't really have an inside power move, pure speed rusher, Also limited reps dropping back into coverage, As a situational pass rusher I'd be alright with the pick. I like Kyle Van Noy, Micheal Sam, Marcus Smith a bit better

Im not sold on Dee Ford....But Im open to someone trying to convince me, Undisciplined vs the run to much to me(its led to Auburn getting gashed...multiple times in the SEC Championship game vs Missouri), Doesn't really have an inside power move, pure speed rusher, Also limited reps dropping back into coverage, As a situational pass rusher I'd be alright with the pick. I like Kyle Van Noy, Micheal Sam, Marcus Smith a bit better

Ford is 'smallish' for our defense too I believe, and will need to learn the Rush LB position...as did Werner this past year....just my 2 cents.  

I would really like to see us draft players who go from college to Pros in their position for a change, but that is just my opinion.

Ford is 'smallish' for our defense too I believe, and will need to learn the Rush LB position...as did Werner this past year....just my 2 cents.  

I would really like to see us draft players who go from college to Pros in their position for a change, but that is just my opinion.

Agree

Im not sold on Dee Ford....But Im open to someone trying to convince me, Undisciplined vs the run to much to me(its led to Auburn getting gashed...multiple times in the SEC Championship game vs Missouri), Doesn't really have an inside power move, pure speed rusher, Also limited reps dropping back into coverage, As a situational pass rusher I'd be alright with the pick. I like Kyle Van Noy, Micheal Sam, Marcus Smith a bit better

I only found out about Marcus Smith a few days ago, but he is a good football player. He's got good speed to rush the QB, he can tackle and quite versatile (ILB if he don't get Skov?)

Guest TeamLoloJones

I've had my eye on him for a quite a while, I dont think he falls out of the 1st round, Certainly out of our reach at the bottom of the 2nd, Great hands, Good speed, Not as physical as I'd like but huge upside if he goes to the right team

I've gone back and watched as much as I could on these WRs to see if we should go after a WR in case someone falls to our pick...and there's one player that constantly stood out to me.  Jarvis Landry.  I think this kid is the most underrated player in the draft.  I don't want to take heat for saying this, but I'm gonna say it anyway...he's the closest to Reggie Wayne I've seen in a long time.  I don't really want us to draft a WR, but I cannot get over this guy.  Landry is a Reggie clone, including work ethic and football smarts to go with his incredible hands and crisp route running.

Hope that's true( that he falls that is)- but can I have proof please.

Just use Google to find reliable sources for scouting reports. And simply watching video of him can show where he should be drafted. I wouldn't take him in the first 2 rounds. He lacks speed, I'll give him credit for quickness out of breaks. He's a body catcher, average changing direction but uses deceptive quickness to break away from defenders. Has problems seperating especially on deep routes, I also dislike how upright he plays. Doesn't always use his size to his advantage, doesn't always play with control of his body. Don't see anything special about him, and if I'm drafting a receiver in the first 2 rounds that will eventually replace Reggie as the #1, I'm looking for special.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jordan-matthews-vs-ole-miss-2013/

My favorite tape of Matthews, but ends on a low note. I have no questions about his speed or his hands (even though he drops the pass at the end), he has great size, he's tough, he can play inside and out, he gets separation. He's a great value at 58, if he makes it that far. I'm thinking he moves up and out of our reach as time goes on.

It appears that Jordan Matthews has turned into this year's version of DeAnthony Hopkins...   the Clemson WR who wound up going to Houston late in the 1st round last year....

Lots of Colts fans had a man crush on Hopkins.

And now many Colts fans have a man crush on Mathews.

I don't know where JM will be drafted....   it's WAY too early to know for sure...

But it does feel like with Indy picking at 58(?)  he'll be gone before our pick comes up....

That's the view in mid/late January.....   things can and will change over the next 4 months....

It appears that Jordan Matthews has turned into this year's version of DeAnthony Hopkins...   the Clemson WR who wound up going to Houston late in the 1st round last year....

I don't know where JM will be drafted....   it's WAY too early to know for sure...

But it does feel like with Indy picking at 58(?)  he'll be gone before our pick comes up....

That's the view in mid/late January.....   things can and will change over the next 4 months....

I think you mean Deandre Hopkins

I don't see us drafting a WR in the 2nd rd. no matter who's available. I suppose that could change depending on what we do in free agency, but if I had to bet right now, I would say we don't.

I agree unless Reggie is not a 'lock' to start the season.  I like Mathews however!

I agree unless Reggie is not a 'lock' to start the season.  I like Mathews however!

I need to catch up this season on prospects. I didn't see a lot of college ball this yr. so there are still a lot of guys out there I need to watch some tape on.

I need to catch up this season on prospects. I didn't see a lot of college ball this yr. so there are still a lot of guys out there I need to watch some tape on.

This is the perfect time.  I am enjoying that aspect very much right now.  Trying to figure out what we really want to do via FA and draft.  Gonna be some good debating I believe.

I agree it would be nice to add Matthews to the team, but after the amount of points we gave up in the post season; I think we should go Defense IMO. This is why I think we should seriously consider signing Mack, but only time will tell what Grigs will do. Wake me up when May ends... 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I have a short list of guys I really really like for one reason or another, (maybe they are great or just good value at their current draft projection) if you want some guys to start your process with.

-Jarvis Landry  WR LSU

-Yawin Smallwood ILB UCONN

-Isaiah Lewis S MSU

-Hakeem Smith S Louisville

-CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

-DeAndre Coleman DT Cal

-EJ Gaines CB Mizzou

This is the perfect time.  I am enjoying that aspect very much right now.  Trying to figure out what we really want to do via FA and draft.  Gonna be some good debating I believe.

Yeah, the main thing I'm gonna focus on is interior O-line, ILBers, and I always pay attention to D-line guys. I don't really ever watch much on WR's, RB's, or TE's. I don't think we are in dire need of any of those positions this season if Reggie comes back healthy. I know you probably know my opinion on RB's :yuk:(ya know...a dime a dozen) and were pretty stacked on TE's.

I have a short list of guys I really really like for one reason or another, (maybe they are great or just good value at their current draft projection) if you want some guys to start your process with.

-Jarvis Landry  WR LSU

-Yawin Smallwood ILB UCONN

-Isaiah Lewis S MSU

-Hakeem Smith S Louisville

-CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

-DeAndre Coleman DT Cal

-EJ Gaines CB Mizzou

I'll definitely check out the defensive guy's. I'm a huge defense fan, well that and O-line. I was always taught that building the trenches is how to build a great team and I wholeheartedly believe that. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'll definitely check out the defensive guy's. I'm a huge defense fan, well that and O-line. I was always taught that building the trenches is how to build a great team and I wholeheartedly believe that. 

I'm still working on my latest offseason mock update if you wanted to contribute your research and what not.

I'm still working on my latest offseason mock update if you wanted to contribute your research and what not.

I need to do a lot of tape watching 1st. When people suggest somebody, I always try to gather as much information as I can and watch as much film as I can on that player before I agree or disagree. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I need to do a lot of tape watching 1st. When people suggest somebody, I always try to gather as much information as I can and watch as much film as I can on that player before I agree or disagree. 

haha...there's no rush...we have about 3+ months of not much else to talk about.

I'm more of a defensive guy myself when scouting prospects. Here's are some of my top rated prospects based on value and need.

2nd round prospects

1. Keith Mcgill, CB, 6'3 212 lbs, 4.38 40, Utah 
2. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, 6'3 240 lbs, 4.6 40, Connecticut 
3. Daquan Jones, DE, 6'3 320 lbs, Penn State
4. Jaylen Watkins, CB, 6'0 190 lbs, 4.4 40, Florida
5. Kelcy Quarles, DE, 6'4 298 lbs, South Carolina
6. Kyle Fuller, CB, 6'0 195 lbs, 4.5 40, Virginia Tech

3rd round prospects

1. Daniel Mccullers, NT, 6'6 350 lbs, Tennessee 
2. E. J Gaines, CB, 5'11 200 lbs, 4.5 40, Missouri 

I was thinking the same thing, but Scouts Inc (McShay) have revised their grades and currently have Mathews as a low 2nd rounder

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm more of a defensive guy myself when scouting prospects. Here's are some of my top rated prospects based on value and need.

2nd round prospects

1. Keith Mcgill, CB, 6'3 212 lbs, 4.38 40, Utah 
2. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, 6'3 240 lbs, 4.6 40, Connecticut 
3. Daquan Jones, DE, 6'3 320 lbs, Penn State
4. Jaylen Watkins, CB, 6'0 190 lbs, 4.4 40, Florida
5. Kelcy Quarles, DE, 6'4 298 lbs, South Carolina
6. Kyle Fuller, CB, 6'0 195 lbs, 4.5 40, Virginia Tech

3rd round prospects

1. Daniel Mccullers, NT, 6'6 350 lbs, Tennessee 
2. E. J Gaines, CB, 5'11 200 lbs, 4.5 40, Missouri 

I would love to get Smallwood in the 2nd and Gaines in the 3rd.