Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First time ever

OLD FAN MAN

After all Peyton has done for you (assuming you were a Colt fan while he was here), you're going to root against him vs the hated Pats for this dumb reason?

I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. I can't speak for the OP, but I was a Colt fan long before Peyton ever arrived in Indy and I can guarantee that Peyton never done a thing for me personally. He done a lot to support the city he played in just as I'm sure he's doing now in Denver. I will root for any player that wears a Colts uniform but when they take that uniform off for the final time, I am no longer in any way shape or form, obligated to root for that player any longer. Professional sports is just a business, players come and players go. Some are far better than others like Peyton was but he never helped me in any aspect of my real life. Whether he wins another superbowl or not is no more important to me than what color of car he drives. If People choose to still root for him to win another SB, then I have no problem with that at all, just as I have no problem with the OP choosing to root for who he wants to win and for what reasons he chooses to do so. Since the Colts are out of the picture now, I personally couldn't care less who wins the SB.

for the first time in my life I am going to pull for the pats to beat Denver. no I am not a peyton hater, he is  not a colt anymore and I liked what he did for us. this is not about peyton. I want the pats to win because I want a team we could not beat win the superbowl. we beat Denver. so I feel if they win we should have been there. if the pats win at least it took a superbowl winner to beat us.same with the forty niners and the seahawks we beat them too. I have always been a pat  hater and never thought I would root for them so here now,let me have it, yell at me and more.i myself don't know if I can do it I still hate the pats, but I am going to try to root for them for the reasons I stated.

So you're saying that in 03 and 04 you did not root for the Pats (since as you say this is the first time in your life to root for the Pats) and the reason is because they beat the Colts in the playoffs and you want the Colts to have lost to the eventual winner of the Super Bowl. Either you have a giant flaw is your logic or you were born in 05 and you're 9 years old.

I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. I can't speak for the OP, but I was a Colt fan long before Peyton ever arrived in Indy and I can guarantee that Peyton never done a thing for me personally. He done a lot to support the city he played in just as I'm sure he's doing now in Denver. I will root for any player that wears a Colts uniform but when they take that uniform off for the final time, I am no longer in any way shape or form, obligated to root for that player any longer. Professional sports is just a business, players come and players go. Some are far better than others like Peyton was but he never helped me in any aspect of my real life. Whether he wins another superbowl or not is no more important to me than what color of car he drives. If People choose to still root for him to win another SB, then I have no problem with that at all, just as I have no problem with the OP choosing to root for who he wants to win and for what reasons he chooses to do so. Since the Colts are out of the picture now, I personally couldn't care less who wins the SB.

How is my reasoning so hard for you to understand? I understand you feeling differently, bravo for you, but don't patronize me for actually still caring about the guy who brought me over a decade's worth of great enjoyment watching football. I realize you're an emotional robot, but not all of us are.

Me neither......  

Kinda like last year, the loss to the ravens wasnt so bad cause they beat both the colts and pats and won it all... But still, the minute the colts got knocked out im all for Manning getting #2 . This will be such a huge game for peyton, has a lot to prove

I get what you are saying. I also wonder if Colts fans might want him to lose either this week or in the SB to avoid the chatter that will inevitable surface that the Colts should have kept Manning and the ring could have been theirs.

I hope they don't say that. With this O line Manning would have gotten killed. Luck was running for his life. And with no running game it's even worse.

How is my reasoning so hard for you to understand? I understand you feeling differently, bravo for you, but don't patronize me for actually still caring about the guy who brought me over a decade's worth of great enjoyment watching football. I realize you're an emotional robot, but not all of us are.

I'm not patronizing you at all, you're the one that seemed to be jumping all over the OP just because he said he was gonna root for the Pats over Denver and gave his reasoning for that, and you called it a "dumb reason". Like I already said, I don't mind at all people still having a emotional attachment to Peyton, but don't call out those of us who don't. 

I'm not patronizing you at all, you're the one that seemed to be jumping all over the OP just because he said he was gonna root for the Pats over Denver and gave his reasoning for that, and you called it a "dumb reason". Like I already said, I don't mind at all people still having a emotional attachment to Peyton, but don't call out those of us who don't.

Ok, but his reasoning is he wants a team that beat us to win the Super Bowl (which proves nothing) and he's actively rooting for the Pats. That's extremely flawed and different than your reasoning of Peyton no longer being a Colt.

Let me ask you, out of curiosity, I get you don't care about Manning anymore but are you going to watch the AFCCG completely neutral even though it's vs. the hated Patriots?

There are 2 teams at the beginning of the year that I root against to not get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

They are the Patriots and the Saints. Every single year, I am consistent about it.

I'm that way about NE and DAL except I don't want them to even make the playoffs haha

Ok, but his reasoning was "I want the Broncos to lose because the media will say we made the wrong decision letting Manning go". That's pretty dumb and different than your reasoning of Peyton no longer being a Colt.

Let me ask you, out of curiosity, I get you don't care about Manning anymore but are you going to watch the AFCCG completely neutral even though it's vs. the hated Patriots?

I would rather see Denver win over the Pats, but I would feel that way no matter who their QB was. Honestly though, It really don't matter to me who wins. Heck, I might not even watch it, it depends on what else I have going on at that time. I know my feelings are somewhat different than many concerning Manning, I loved the guy when he was a Colt, but for some reason I have always been able to flip the switch on emotions when players are traded, let go, retire, or whatever. 

I would rather see Denver win over the Pats, but I would feel that way no matter who their QB was. Honestly though, It really don't matter to me who wins. Heck, I might not even watch it, it depends on what else I have going on at that time. I know my feelings are somewhat different than many concerning Manning, I loved the guy when he was a Colt, but for some reason I have always been able to flip the switch on emotions when players are traded, let go, retire, or whatever.

You know who else could flip the switch on his emotions? Ted Bundy.

Just kidding, kinda. haha

Obviously no player has ever put a dime in my pocket, did my taxes, cooked me dinner, or cleaned my house (my wife does all that lol) and if that mattered to me then I wouldnt even root for the Colts because they haven't done a single thing for me either. I root for personal satisfaction and in cheering for someone/team that has given me great satisfaction or incredible entertainment. With that said no sports figure in ANY sport has even come close with maybe the exception of Reggie Miller/Larry Bird given me as much entertainment and made my afternoon as enjoyable as all the times I spent watching Peyton Manning play. Meeting him in person and seeing all the good he has done and seeing the effort and entertainment value he has given I see no reason to not cheer for a guy to reach a personal/team goal of success for the pleasure he has given me. I don't root exclusively for the Colts or ex-Colts but also for athletes who are great role models or play in such a way that I admire...players like Kurt Warner or Tim Tebow or Tony Dungy even before Colts or Reggie White and so many others I root for people I admire and would like to see success as a reward for the person they are or the player they have been.

So while I completely understand not caring about who wins etc...I love watching football and even watch the crappy 7-5 teams playing in bowl games and since I'm going to watch it I try to find someone worth rooting for even when my team isn't involved. Also no problem rooting for NE. Tom Brady and company have done an incredible job overcoming adversity (as many other teams Denver included have as well) and worthy of cheering for too! If I find two teams equally deserving of my cheering I usually go for the underdog or the team that hasnt had the success before or less likely to again. Thus the last time I rooted for the Pats to win it all was after 03. I rooted hard for them in 01. Now I'm ready for someone else to have success and some limelight.

Thats interesting. I get a little more invested in guys that I follow I guess. Do you watch college basketball or football?? I often follow some of my favorite players regardless what team they go to after graduation/pro. Also I find it rather impossible not to have favorite player whether it was Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Ken Griffey Jr., Eric Davis, or Walter Payton, Peyton Manning and while a lot of those players never left their team I would have followed them and rooted for their success no matter where they went. Today's day and age of free agency makes it hard not to follow your favorite guys wherever they go. Most fans I've encountered have an infinity for following someone. Your comments are intriguing to me.