Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who Should We Go After In The Offseason?

The Peytonator

Maybe with us having such a bad season, and Polian being baffled by the abysmal play of our secondary, I feel we could make more of a play in free agency. I've always been of the opinion that if you have a massive hole on your team, ours being CB, you fill it by going after a solid, proven player in free agency. Why take a chance on still having that hole when all you do is draft a 4th round scrub?

Who would you want?

Courtland Finnegan

Brent Grimes

Tracy Porter

Any other ideas?

These guys might be expensive but I'd rather overpay for one of them then overpay to watch Reggie Wayne lose multiple steps as he fades away like Marvin Harrison. You pay for 'em while they're young, and kick 'em to the curb when they're old. Personally I want Finnegan. A scrappy cornerback with an Irish name. You gotta like that. Plus it would be nice to steal from a division rival for a change.

I can't really give an experts analysis on the three of them, but if I have to say something, it's that (even though I don't like the guy!) I think Finnegan would fit the system we run better.. Letting the receivers catch the ball, and then make the tackle ..

I do however, feel like Brent Grimes is the better overall player ... But does anybody really think we're gonna get anyone of those? I have my doubts...

Maybe with us having such a bad season, and Polian being baffled by the abysmal play of our secondary, I feel we could make more of a play in free agency. I've always been of the opinion that if you have a massive hole on your team, ours being CB, you fill it by going after a solid, proven player in free agency. Why take a chance on still having that hole when all you do is draft a 4th round scrub?

Who would you want?

Courtland Finnegan

Brent Grimes

Tracy Porter

Any other ideas?

These guys might be expensive but I'd rather overpay for one of them then overpay to watch Reggie Wayne lose multiple steps as he fades away like Marvin Harrison. You pay for 'em while they're young, and kick 'em to the curb when they're old. Personally I want Finnegan. A scrappy cornerback with an Irish name. You gotta like that. Plus it would be nice to steal from a division rival for a change.

<sarcasm>

How about Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis and Jeff Saturday (maybe)? I hear those guys are all free agents at the end of the season. I think they would all fit in well with what we're doing here!

</sarcasm>

In all seriousness, without a change in defensive philosophy, it really doesn't matter. We're reaping what we've sown there.

Brent Grimes would be my favorite pick up, hes young, very talented and plays aggressive. Other than that a solid DT maybe Okoye from the Texans? Although I know they are running a 3-4 now so I dont know how that will work. I dont remember if he used to play in the 4-3 as well.

I really want the Colts to focus on the O line and D line. A proper O line to get the run game really going and bring back the deadly play action. A solid D line to stop the running game and have someone other than Mathis and Freeney to provide pressure. Speaking of I really hope the Colts re-sign Mathis.

Powers is still a solid corner. Our LB's are still good.

I don't know if you guys consider Merriweather an upgrade I don't know his story.

But really a very good DT, some good OL, another solid corner, SS and I think we will be okay on defense. Whether through F/A or the draft. I just don't want to see anymore UFAs on the D when we can get good players from F/A.

the WR core will be okay, I say let Wayne walk, re-sign Garcon, re-sign Gonzalez, and have Gonzo take place of Wayne and Collie in the slot. Colts will still have Clark.

Brent Grimes would be my favorite pick up, hes young, very talented and plays aggressive. Other than that a solid DT maybe Okoye from the Texans? Although I know they are running a 3-4 now so I dont know how that will work. I dont remember if he used to play in the 4-3 as well.

Amobi Okoye plays for the Bears now. :)

I feel like Courtland Finnegan is a MUST. If we were to get him and then draft a good CB with one of our picks, our starting corners would be Courtland Finnegan, Jerraud Powers, and the CB we drafted on the 3rd Wr (he should be able to contribute playing there). We would be set at corner and all it took was one year, of course we're gonna have to free up space but that should be easy with players leaving.

Edited by smittywerb

The 2 positions that would be really hard to play in the NFL are safety and offensive line - I would get an OG and safety in free agency. See if Pat Williams is in shape. If he is, get him in the NT rotation.

An NT, OG and safety - it would be harder to get quality in the draft that would contribute right away at a high level.

CBs, WRs - both of those positions can be obtained in the draft, IMO.