Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Diego (+10) @ Denver (1-12-14) AFC playoff

oldunclemark

The over-under is 54.5

I dont think either Denver-SD game went 'over' this year but you've got top QBs looking at defenses for the 3rd time..

Early weather forecat is for clear and sunny in the 40s

I'd lean towards SD getting 10 points...and the 'over'

Broncos win, but it goes over and i would take the chargers with points too.

I think the Denver D is hearing about how bad they are the last few weeks and Peyton is hearing about one and done and how bad he is with Chargers.

Chip on the shoulders for both Denver O and D.

They will be fired up. I wouldnt be surprised if the odds stay as predicted.

I think the Denver D is hearing about how bad they are the last few weeks and Peyton is hearing about one and done and how bad he is with Chargers.

Chip on the shoulders for both Denver O and D.

They will be fired up. I wouldnt be surprised if the odds stay as predicted.

I agree, but on the flip side it works for SD motivation too. SD hears they have no shot at times, Peyton had the best season in history, they lucked into the playoffs over Pittsburgh with a non call that should have happened over Chiefs backups and how Andy Dalton stinks and it was more him and not their D. And Rivers constantly has to hear about how Big Ben and Eli in his draft class have rings and he doesn't.

With divisional games especially I often feel there is no lack of motivation involved with the motivation already being there in the postseason to begin with. Brady was on fire in 2010 and the Jets stunned their pants off in the divisional in this same time slot of the late Sunday game.

I can see it going either way at them moment and in terms of betting I would not touch this game. Part of me can't make up my mind on who to really root for either. Sometimes I want to see Peyton get a playoff win again and sometimes I have the dream of hosting SD in the AFCCG if we too should pull off the upset.

I agree, but on the flip side it works for SD motivation too. SD hears they have no shot at times, Peyton had the best season in history, they lucked into the playoffs over Pittsburgh with a non call that should have happened over Chiefs backups and how Andy Dalton stinks and it was more him and not their D. And Rivers constantly has to hear about how Big Ben and Eli in his draft class have rings and he doesn't.

With divisional games especially I often feel there is no lack of motivation involved with the motivation already being there in the postseason to begin with. Brady was on fire in 2010 and the Jets stunned their pants off in the divisional in this same time slot of the late Sunday game.

I can see it going either way at them moment and in terms of betting I would not touch this game. Part of me can't make up my mind on who to really root for either. Sometimes I want to see Peyton get a playoff win again and sometimes I have the dream of hosting SD in the AFCCG if we too should pull off the upset.

I have a good feeling Peyton will throw like he did against Titans ( before the game everyone talked about his Cold game record ).

I have a good feeling Peyton will throw like he did against Titans ( before the game everyone talked about his Cold game record ).

I have not been following Denver weather but it's not supposed to be too cold is it? Honestly my bigger concern at the moment is the Denver D. They sure the heck better show up because SD is playing lately like the kind of teams who used to beat us in the playoffs a lot with the balanced attack and Denver is also eerily similar to our old teams at times.

Should be a great game, I can see it going either way. My head has been saying Denver and Peyton is due for that playoff win but I am always highly suspicious of SD playoff teams due to past events. I have over looked them before in the past unfortunately.

I have not been following Denver weather but it's not supposed to be too cold is it? Honestly my bigger concern at the moment is the Denver D. They sure the heck better show up because SD is playing lately like the kind of teams who used to beat us in the playoffs a lot with the balanced attack and Denver is also eerily similar to our old teams at times.

Should be a great game, I can see it going either way. My head has been saying Denver and Peyton is due for that playoff win but I am always highly suspicious of SD playoff teams due to past events. I have over looked them before in the past unfortunately.

High 40s. Against the Titans it was 18 and Peyton went 396 yards with 4 TDs.

I hear what you are saying but i think this year it changes in Peyton's favor.

10 point seems very high given the first game was decided by one score and the Chargers won the second game in dominant fashion in Denver. I can't see this being a high scoring affair. I think it is like the second match up where both teams are in the 20's. All of the playoff advantages reside with SD - better D, better run game but I still think Peyton gets his too. Should be a great game.

10 point seems very high given the first game was decided by one score and the Chargers won the second game in dominant fashion in Denver. I can't see this being a high scoring affair. I think it is like the second match up where both teams are in the 20's. All of the playoff advantages reside with SD - better D, better run game but I still think Peyton gets his too. Should be a great game.

I just see it totally differently..

What's the motivational edge..in a 3rd meeting where the teams split...

..and its not an edge to SD to play in Denver...where you tire late in the 2nd and 4th quarters..its just difficult.

Its a myth that either team dominated....it just didn't happen...

Denver led the first game 28-7 before SD turned it..and Denver led the second game 7-0 and rallied late...needed one more possession to tie..

IN 28-20 and 27-20 games..nobody really could have dominated the game

SD's offensive line has given up a lot of sacks the last 2 years and it hurts their attack...

but the Broncos just don't have the defensive personal (Vickerson, Miller) they had at mid-season.,,,and they cant go get somebody now

In good weather, the game almost has to go 'over' and it sure doesnt look like a 10 point game.

I just see it totally differently..

What's the motivational edge..in a 3rd meeting where the teams split...

..and its not an edge to SD to play in Denver...where you tire late in the 2nd and 4th quarters..its just difficult.

Its a myth that either team dominated....it just didn't happen...

Denver led the first game 28-7 before SD turned it..and Denver led the second game 7-0 and rallied late...needed one more possession to tie..

IN 28-20 and 27-20 games..nobody really could have dominated the game

SD's offensive line has given up a lot of sacks the last 2 years and it hurts their attack...

but the Broncos just don't have the defensive personal (Vickerson, Miller) they had at mid-season.,,,and they cant go get somebody now

In good weather, the game almost has to go 'over' and it sure doesnt look like a 10 point game.

I think there is more to the game then the final score. There are plenty of games that have close scores but it is evident that one team dominated. When SD played Denver in Denver they completely controlled the line of scrimmage both offensively and defensively. They also ball controlled with a 2:1 time of possession differential.

I agree that third time match up is interesting and hard to predict. I just can't see Denver rolling up a ton of points on the SD defense as in two game they have averaged 24. I also don't see SD rolling up a ton of points as I think they will run and run and ball control to keep Peyton off the field. Of course TOs will be key but if both play a clean game then I think SD has the advantages and it will come down to Peyton and the O to carry the day which has been the case all season for Denver.

I think there is more to the game then the final score. There are plenty of games that have close scores but it is evident that one team dominated. When SD played Denver in Denver they completely controlled the line of scrimmage both offensively and defensively. They also ball controlled with a 2:1 time of possession differential.

I agree that third time match up is interesting and hard to predict. I just can't see Denver rolling up a ton of points on the SD defense as in two game they have averaged 24. I also don't see SD rolling up a ton of points as I think they will run and run and ball control to keep Peyton off the field. Of course TOs will be key but if both play a clean game then I think SD has the advantages and it will come down to Peyton and the O to carry the day which has been the case all season for Denver.

I'm sure you watched both game more than once..

Just holding the ball isnt dominating....if you score and that was SD's problem in BOTH games..and at Cincy....

.SD scored 3 TDs in each games...right.......In 1/3 of the 2nd game../Denver gained 350 yards .....

The Broncos led the first game 28-7 but couldnt finish...Denver couldn't stop the run in the second game...a problem they have in most games

The stats don't show it because Denver is always ahead...//SD has offensive line problems and they will Sunday

Denver will score more than 30 and ..SD might, too

So another wards  take the Chargers & 10 points  .  Who are like the 2012  Ravens coming into Denver  to raid the refrigerator & take over the remote on there way to the next round ..

So another wards  take the Chargers & 10 points  .  Who are like the 2012  Ravens coming into Denver  to raid the refrigerator & take over the remote on there way to the next round ..

Yes and I fear you may be right about them looking like the Ravens from last year except they have a better guy at QB to boot.

Yes and I fear you may be right about them looking like the Ravens from last year except they have a better guy at QB to boot.

Dude its all about attitude Rivers rocking the bolo has it going into Denver as the Underdog again " Been there done that  Mentality will kick in "

As a Colts fan I hate San Diego but you gotta give a dog his due I'v seen it before 18 's team should Win but rest is rust ..

Say what you want about Rivers and his attitude but that dude is a gamer

^^^ THIS ^^^

And has absolutely no ego.  He could give a rip about the stats, the glory or anything that isn't spelled WIN.  He could care less about anything except the team.  There is just no "I" in him.  

The "it" factor about the Chargers this year is the TEAM attitude.  And some things that McCoy does in practices that have built an automatic depth that backs up the mental "next man up."   He insures the next man up is ready to play and contribute.  Loving his coaching style. 

I see Denver coming out hot. San Diego better control the ball early or they will be forced into a shoot out Rivers can't win.

I see Denver coming out hot too.

In the first two games against San Diego, Denver scored on their first possession and most of the damage they did was early in the game rather than later. Against Houston, Denver really got slowed down a bit (although they did move the ball well), then completely stalled in the third, and turned it on in the fourth.  The next game (and last) against Oakland, Denver could not have come out any hotter, which I think was partially due to an emphasis on getting ready to come out the gates hot in the playoffs.

Ironically, the Broncos biggest problem against the chargers has been putting up additional points later in the game.  I don't see that happening again. You out game planned Peyton in the second half once...okay. Twice....wow, well done, a real anomaly.  Three times....I don't see that happening at all.

Now I have no faith in Denver's D but it did play better against the Texans and Raiders (yes they suck but the Denver D looked horrible against any team all year. And this could be the miracle year for Peyton's D (reminiscent of 2006).

Denver having felt the pain of losing last year and knowing they can be beat by this team all make me think this is a Denver win.

Denver's going to give SD the ball first if they win the toss...they always do...

That's going  to give the the Chargers a chance to go up 3-0 or 7-0...and they could

The Chargers need that early lead...because if it turns into a catch-up war..the O-line for SD wont hold up..

They run block a lot better than they pass block...

.........what I don't know is what will SD do if they win the toss..

When Peyton went to interview with broncos he specifically asked McCoy and Del Rio  if they were intending on leaving after a season if they got offers based on what team accomplishes with him, Del rio was an empahr tic no, McCoy said he would have to wait and see v but probably would entertain offers, well at least Mcoy was honest, but bet Peyton didnt expect him to stay in division if left and now McCoy knows Denvers players & tendencies McCoy says of both offense & defense and credits Peyton for teaching him to be a better coach and recognize things and game plan, Now thats ironic-- Sorry  dont still have the link

=====================================================================================

I hope I they are wrong, here is a historical perspective by seeding --

******  i am sorry i may not be around to answer quotes back at this, serious deteriorating medical issues Re my Mother may even prevent me from watching games this weekend let alone commenting, ******* shes a fighter though and has beaten all odds already for years *****

Excerpt -- sporting News

You might think, however, that Manning’s Broncos and Russell Wilson’s Seahawks got a break with the No. 6 seeds advancing to face them this weekend. You would be wrong.

Since 2005, No. 1 seeds have a 7-9 record in the divisional playoffs. There’s more reason for the big underdog Chargers and Saints to be more confident this week. Since ’05, No. 6 seeds have gone 5-2 in this round following a wild-card upset

In a 2013 playoffs already filled with surprises after just one wild wild-card weekend, the biggest surprise of them all would be Broncos and Seahawks doing what they’re supposed to do.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-01-06/nfl-playoffs-divisional-games-upsets-seeds-broncos-chargers-seahawks-saints-colts-patriots-super-bowl-run

GO COLTS,  GO PEYTON

I see Denver coming out hot. San Diego better control the ball early or they will be forced into a shoot out Rivers can't win.

I see Denver coming out hot too.

In the first two games against San Diego, Denver scored on their first possession and most of the damage they did was early in the game rather than later. Against Houston, Denver really got slowed down a bit (although they did move the ball well), then completely stalled in the third, and turned it on in the fourth.  The next game (and last) against Oakland, Denver could not have come out any hotter, which I think was partially due to an emphasis on getting ready to come out the gates hot in the playoffs.

Ironically, the Broncos biggest problem against the chargers has been putting up additional points later in the game.  I don't see that happening again. You out game planned Peyton in the second half once...okay. Twice....wow, well done, a real anomaly.  Three times....I don't see that happening at all.

Now I have no faith in Denver's D but it did play better against the Texans and Raiders (yes they suck but the Denver D looked horrible against any team all year. And this could be the miracle year for Peyton's D (reminiscent of 2006).

Denver having felt the pain of losing last year and knowing they can be beat by this team all make me think this is a Denver win.

Gonna have to say........GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!

Especially after recent conspiracy theories. :)

They will do what Denver will, defer

agree

That's the safest bet/////SD getting 10..

agree

Bayone, so sorry to hear about your medical struggles.  I'm hoping (and praying) that you'll be able to watch the games and things will stabilize and begin to improve.

Audrey

appreciate  that Audrey,

Thing is, and going to her assisted living now, I am only one who can get her to eat some more

she is tiny and has gone from 97 to 77 pounds fast, besides tumors , copd, many issues ,  etc and age 95

some new measures were ordered after Discussion and blood test review with her Dr Dec 31 

at least weight has stabilized so far this week , though once regained 5 pounds only to lose 10 shortly thereafter, she needs to gain and get some energy back

, i could  go on but u get the message, Obviously one's mom takes priority over all else 

also this really isnt the place to discuss such things

Best of Luck to your Chargers

, I had this page open on computer refreshed it so saw your remark , next time quote me, so i get e-mail notice, maybe i will have time to respond

Barry

appreciate  that Audrey,

Thing is, and going to her assisted living now, I am only one who can get her to eat some more

she is tiny and has gone from 97 to 77 pounds fast, besides tumors , copd, many issues ,  etc and age 95

some new measures were ordered after Discussion and blood test review with her Dr Dec 31 

at least weight has stabilized so far this week , though once regained 5 pounds only to lose 10 shortly thereafter, she needs to gain and get some energy back

, i could  go on but u get the message, Obviously one's mom takes priority over all else 

also this really isnt the place to discuss such things

Best of Luck to your Chargers

, I had this page open on computer refreshed it so saw your remark , next time quote me, so i get e-mail notice, maybe i will have time to respond

Barry

You're doing the right thing - it's great to see.  The playoffs will be here next year and the year after, take care and enjoy every moment you have with your Mom.

Audrey

I think the Chargers cover. They are too good (solid on offense and defense) to get blown out. They don't typically turn it over and actually force turnovers. Even if Denver wins which I think they do....Denver's defense won't shut down the Chargers....and even if its a 2 score game (which I think is likely)...some late points or a drive against prevent will likely get it back to the 3-10 pt range. I just don't see Denver stopping SD. Rivers is much too accurate to stop completely.

quick post then another ( on changing weather  http://forums.colts.com/topic/25358-weather-not-an-issue-for-denver-sd/#entry707325   ) and Bye & good luck

Injury report both teams WED  as weather worsens sunday as seen again this am, and stable Sat night with less winds , hoping that extra day rest doesnt help the players noted in Chargers injury report see link

Sat may have just been better for Broncos, not that extreme cold and  less winds, sep not the swirling Wed winds
some sites noe have denver less than 40 degrees

CBS Keys

Dealing with the Broncos' no-huddle

AFC: Chargers at Broncos, 4:40 ET Sunday (CBS & CBSSports.com): No team employs the no-huddle offense like Peyton Manning and the Broncos, especially at home. In 767 no-huddle snaps, Denver has amassed 4,900 yards and 52 touchdowns. With WR Wes Welker (concussion) returning and TE Julius Thomas able to line up tight or wide, this no-huddle is tough to stop. The Chargers need a few "joker" types on defense who can match wits with Manning or he will have a field day. The two San Diego players to keep an eye on during the no huddle attack are safety Eric Weddle and linebacker Melvin Ingram. Weddle will come to the line of scrimmage and blitz or fake a blitz before dropping into coverage. After watching the past two Broncos-Chargers games, it is clear Manning is always looking for Weddle and making no-huddle run/pass decisions based on the safety. But Manning has a new problem because Ingram is back from injured reserve.

The Chargers have won seven straight games when Ingram is in the lineup over the past two seasons -- mainly because he can rush or cover. And combined with Weddle, they make it tough on quarterbacks to decipher the defense.

Slowing down the Chargers' run game

AFC: Chargers at Broncos, 4:40 ET Sunday (CBS & CBSSports.com): That's right, the San Diego rushing attack, and the Philip Rivers passing game. Sooner or later Rivers will make big plays in the air, but long before that the Chargers ground game will be a problem. Winners of five straight, the Chargers have done it on the ground, compiling 851 yards and five TDs in 197 attempts (averages of 39 attempts, 170 yards and a TD during the streak). San Diego boasts a 59 percent run ratio. Denver coach John Fox says well aware of these numbers for San Diego in this season's two meetings: 79 carries for 308 yards and two touchdowns. Scouting tip: Rivers has called 30 running plays from the shotgun in the two previous meetings, and he really likes to check to that run in second-down situations

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/24402629/nfl-playoffs-divisional-round-xs-and-os-to-watch

Bayone, so sorry to hear about your medical struggles.  I'm hoping (and praying) that you'll be able to watch the games and things will stabilize and begin to improve.

Audrey

again thanks

Gonna have to say........GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!

Especially after recent conspiracy theories. :)

The over-under is 54.5

I dont think either Denver-SD game went 'over' this year but you've got top QBs looking at defenses for the 3rd time..

Early weather forecat is for clear and sunny  in the 40s

I'd lean towards SD getting 10 points...and the 'over'

Ps their DC J Pagano was on staff of Colts wwith peyton says video, so between him &n McCoy they supposedly have incite on what to do on both sides of ball, I didnt reaalize Chucks brother once on Colts staff

1:45 mark of Video says it

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000310983/Do-the-Chargers-have-the-Broncos-number

anyway off to help mom eat