Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian On Maning - 10- 25 (Merge)

bayone

Who thinks that by firing everyone and starting over is going to bring us 10 wins or more next year. We are going to go thru the same thing again until ,the new group gets who they want. You can't clean house and expect to win next year. I can see Caldwell gone next year, I can't see Irsay getting rid of everyone Jim has too many ties to Polian, he is also going to give Bill's son a shot, remember they created a position to keep Chris from going to another team. Caldwell, I think is going to be the fall guy. His problem is that he has tried to do things the Dungy way and it has failed. It his right environment, yes I do think he can coach, but not here and not in this situation

Really? Because we're a few plays from being 5-2 without Manning. Collins and Painter have had a knack for fumbling at the worst possible moments. I don't know how much of that is on Caldwell or Polian. How much of it is just great play from the other teams as well?

No way to really know that for sure.

But you dont have Manning. And the team has not been very successful.(understatement) It shows up that im a new member but that is not true. Ive been a member on the colts forum for many yrs, I just did not post much. And probably won't again. Im a PM fan because Im a Tn fan that has followed him all of his pro yrs. I didnt watch pro football unless I had a 20 dollar bet on it. I have loved watching PM play all of these yrs. Probably the reason I do not like Polian is because of watching PM get beat up game after game last yr. There is no reason why since PM is the heart of the colts that Polian would let him play behind an inferior line. And he did. It seems that he wants this team to lose so that he will have the #1 draft pick, the only time before that he has made a difference.

Really? Because we're a few plays from being 5-2 without Manning. Collins and Painter have had a knack for fumbling at the worst possible moments. I don't know how much of that is on Caldwell or Polian. How much of it is just great play from the other teams as well?

I don't buy that they have really been that close to 5-2 at all. If anything I think they have been closer to being one of the worst teams ever. The big plays really skew the statistics and hide the fact that this team cannot maintain drives.

Actually the scoring drive at New Orleans was one of the few real bright spots for me so far this season because it was one of the few times that the offense looked like it is supposed to, like it did when Manning led it, efficiently moving down the field and putting up one first down after another until finally reaching paydirt. If they can keep up that kind of efficiency this weekend they can win the ball game.

Edited by Blue Horseshoe

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't concern me. People can believe what they say about welcoming every view point, and being open-minded; or they can hate me because I don't agree (entirely) with the masses.

It's always easier to agree with the mob. Being a part of the popular movement gives people a false sense of confidence, and they can simply regurgitate what everyone else says.

It's also possible that some of us have assessed the situation as best we can and decided what we think the issue is and the best way to solve it. The fact that it might happen to be in the majority opinion does not necessary make one a member of a mindless horde as you seem to suggest.

It's also possible that some of us have assessed the situation as best we can and decided what we think the issue is and the best way to solve it. The fact that it might happen to be in the majority opinion does not necessary make one a member of a mindless horde as you seem to suggest.

No wai. It's not that the team quit in one of the poorest showings in the history of Sunday Night Football or that this fail came on the heels of a 6 game losing streak. We just don't like to think for ourselves apparently.

Seriously, I've got nothing personal against Caldwell but what has he really done to inspire such loyalty? The team has acheived a progressively weaker finish every season since he took over, he's made a rash of very questionable calls in his short tenure, he's painfully conservative, and predictably risk averse on every down and situation.

dude, they are gonna give you -1's like crazy. This is not a forum for original thinkers. They want you to think like them.

It's fire Caldwell and Polian here. That is the only acceptable thinking.

Oh? really, This forum is very much a place for original thinkers, perhaps your problem is that you are not? The key to original or "out of the box" thinking is to respect all of the opinions, thoughts and ideas that are generated.

First of all, the draft we just had this past April was a freaking home run. Every pick was good, every pick fit a need, and every player had a great track record in terms of their size and durability. People keep conveniently ignoring the 2011 Draft and pointing to 08, 09, and 10. Well, really they just point to the 1st round picks from each of those, because the other players have been mostly solid. Now Brown is even showing us something behind an o-line that's doing it's job.

Next, why don't you outline for us exactly what goes on in the locker room, and at the meetings? Then tell me everything that you know, with 100% certainty, coach Caldwell is or isn't doing. Tell me what every single player on the team thinks of their coach, and whether or not they candidly believe he's doing a good job. Also, explain in detail how you know for a fact that our woes this year belong squarely on him.

Better yet, don't do any of that, because you can't. No one here knows a thing about coaching a professional team. No one here knows a thing about building a franchise. No one here knows at all who is (most) responsible. I don't, you don't, no one who "knows a guy" does either.

I am not a Caldwell homer. I do not see things through Caldwell/Polian colored glasses. I am not a fan of how things are going at this moment, and yet I know better than to pretend I know exactly what is transpiring. A very fine line separates the winners and losers in this league. A drop here, a fumble there, a silly penalty, whatever, and we're 5-2 without Manning. It could also go the other way and maybe we're 2-5 having only beaten the Texans and the Saints. Someone has to lose those games, and our players just haven't been consistent. A coach can't do anything more to keep his guys from fumbling.

Belichick did pilot an 11-5 team without his star QB; turns out Cassel is pretty good too. But they lost all 5 games to teams that made the playoffs, and they missed the playoffs. In the Manning vs. Brady debate, the 2008 season holds water, as the Patriots offense was putting up the same kinds of numbers it has for a while now. But the Patriots did miss the playoffs, so that's really not much different than going 0-16.

Tomlin didn't do anything. Ben Roethlisberger isn't the key to the Steelers. Their defense is. As long as that side of the ball was in-tact, they could have kept games close with Tavaris Jackson. Again, they weren't blowing people out, but they were in those games. A few balls bounced their way and they got the wins. I sincerely doubt Tomlin "willed" his team to win, or "coached" his players better on how not to fumble at the worst possible moment. Prove, without a shadow of a doubt, exactly how Tomlin was responsible for their 4-1 record without Ben. Leave no room for reasonable doubt, leave all opinions out of it, and make sure you are able to explain exactly how it was Tomlin who was responsible for it.

Is Tomlin not also held accountable for getting pasted by the Ravens earlier this year? How about the fact that the Steelers are DEAD LAST in the league in forcing turnovers in 2011?

Belichick has been smashed in the playoffs two years in a row, at home, against teams he beats in the regular season. Is that not the same 1-and-done mentality that deserves a firing? He even played his best WR in a meaningless game which lead to a season-ending injury. Isn't that thoughtless coaching? He had the best team ever assembled and puts up a paltry 14 points to the 5th seed from a vastly inferior NFC conference in the Super Bowl; he got out-coached then, right? What about the 4th and 2 play? The look on his face said it all; he threw his defense under the bus, right?

I can point out just as many mistakes that these coaches have made as Jim Caldwell during the same span of seasons. The fact is, coaches make mistakes, players have to execute, someone has to win or lose.

Phenomenal post. Be careful though, or people will claim you think Caldwell is the greatest coach ever. It's not possible to see things reasonably, or admit we don't know everything, or even have hope going forward. You have to absolutely hate Caldwell when we're losing, and then be completely hypocritical when we're winning. You must only point out a few awkward coaching decisions or draft picks, forget everything else, and jump on the bandwagon to hate Jim Caldwell or else you are just a blind homer. If you call them blind haters, you will be flamed, and a moderator will stop you, not them, from posting.

Just a warning... :hide:

The FO has been failing for years. Manning covered up most of the cracks, and the SB win also. Our defense was putrid that year, and we got lucky on our PO opponents. With Manning we've always been great against the traditionally strong D / weak O teams, with a few exceptions. Kansas, we knew all we had to do was stop Larry Johnson. Ravens, well, we just needed to score a few points to win, which we did. The Ravens offense was never going to hurt us. We got lucky v the Patriots in a shoot-out, but Dungy made some good h/t adjustments. Chicago - well come on. Probably the worst SB team in ages.

Trying to rally fans and spout semantics to suggest we are still a great team or have a good coaching model is just wrong. To say Polian is not past is prime is denial. I still will my team on every week, and will continue to do so, but something needs to change for next season, and before the draft. In a big way.

So if I, or others decide to rally against the current regime, it's because we are sick of the pathetic droning mantra we hear every year about our 'philosophy'. The winds of change are blowing through the big open window of the LOS, and I can't wait.

And yes, I know a million times less than Polian or Caldwell about all things NFL, but I don't care. My opinion counts more to me than what others think. Just like yours. Keep believing in your own views by all means. It's what this forum is for.

Go well.

Edited by braveheartcolt

There is no doubt that players make the difference. The question is would Dungy had been as successful without Manning. I think maybe so, but the thing that seperates Dungy from Caldwell is that Dungy seemed more in control. Caldwell does not. I agree the problem started when we went with Caldwell because he seemed to be a Dungy clone. Coaching does not work that way. You need coaches to be themselves and I do not thing Caldwell coaches his way. If he does then we really need to get rid of him because he is no Dungy. And again we need palyers, and a change of philosophy, times they are a changing and we need to change with them. People who fail to change are destines to failure, not sure who said it but it is very true here. Get ready to rebuild and retool, and lets hope that it turns out that Manning has the success that Elway had

Dungy went to the NFC CG with Shawn King at QB.

And Dungy was in control. Once he leaves Irsay becomes a * in cyberspace. Indy loses Moore and Mudd. And the drafting in the first round has become poor. Dungy would not have let any of this happen if he were still here.

Dungy had his faults but his teams NEVER QUIT.

Jerry is in his own little world. He fired one one of the most beloved coaches in NFL history and then fired his replacement 2 months after he won a championship.

Firing Landry and hiring Jimmy was absolutely the right thing to do. Tom was wedded to the flex and the Boys were going downhill fast. Landry said he would not have traded Hershel Walker for all the players and picks from MN. Jimmy used the trade to bring 3 championships to Dallas. The firing of Jimmy was a 50/50 proposition. Jimmy wasn't going to stay with an interfering owner and Jerry was not going to play second fiddle to his HC.

Absolutely Agree!