Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth, free agency, roster cuts, draft... Talking about 2014.

Can'tStandYa

What do you mean when you suggest restructuring Walden's contract? If we leave it the way it is, he gets a $4m base salary, and his cap hit is $4.25m. He's been solid, not spectacular, but certainly isn't a weak link on our defense. I think we're fine with him. But he's replaceable, either through the draft or free agency, if we wanted a better or more promising player. If we release him after 2014, we have a cap penalty of just $500k, which is negligible. I'm not sure I see the benefit of restructuring his deal.

As for RJF, what's the problem with him? He's been very good against the run, and serviceable as a pass rusher. I really don't understand why people have a problem with him.

LOL... I revisited just to see if you responded to all this "restructure Waldron" nonsense. I already aggravated myself in another thread dealing with people that just love to post when they are totally clueless to the issue. You will see me playing TE for the Colts before you will see Waldron's 2014 deal restructured. There is absolute no need or basis to redo his deal. Besides .. if you look at "over the cap.com" , it appears that the 2nd year of his contract was guaranteed. I looked at this a while back as I had read two accounts of his deal. One being that only the first year was guaranteed , the other was that the first two years were guaranteed. According to that site , there is a cap hit of 4.25 if he was cut in 2014 . If correct obvs means that we guaranteed the first two years.

FYI, I don't follow the salary cap situation that much with all the guaranteed money in the contracts. 

What I would this offseason:

1) Re-sign Davis (4 year deal)

2) Re-sign McAfee (4-5 year deal)

3)

4)

5) Re-sign Donald Brown (2 years)

6) LaRon Landry and Bethea need to gain chemistry.

7) Let DHB, McGlynn, and Bradshaw walk. 

8) Try to trade Satele. If failed, release him.

After all the moves, I'd expect us to make one big signing and a few smaller ones.

Would like WR Jeremy Maclin and  OC Brian De La Puente.

No reason to cut or restructure 3 or 4. I was more impressed with Howell playing safety than Bethea. He seems to play when he wants to lately. (imo)  And I would keep SBrown, saw where someone else here had him walking.

FYI, I don't follow the salary cap situation that much with all the guaranteed money in the contracts. 

What I would this offseason:

1) Re-sign Davis (4 year deal)

2) Re-sign McAfee (4-5 year deal)

3) Restruct Walden's deal

4) Cut RJF (Not sure if he has guarantee $)

5) Re-sign Donald Brown (2 years)

6) Re-sign Bethea (3 years) - LaRon Landry and Bethea need to gain chemistry.

7) Let DHB, McGlynn, and Bradshaw walk. 

8) Try to trade Satele. If failed, release him.

After all the moves, I'd expect us to make one big signing and a few smaller ones.

Would like WR Jeremy Maclin and  OC Brian De La Puente.

194.gif

LOL... I revisited just to see if you responded to all this "restructure Waldron" nonsense. I already aggravated myself in another thread dealing with people that just love to post when they are totally clueless to the issue. You will see me playing TE for the Colts before you will see Waldron's 2014 deal restructured. There is absolute no need or basis to redo his deal. Besides .. if you look at "over the cap.com" , it appears that the 2nd year of his contract was guaranteed. I looked at this a while back as I had read two accounts of his deal. One being that only the first year was guaranteed , the other was that the first two years were guaranteed. According to that site , there is a cap hit of 4.25 if he was cut in 2014 . If correct obvs means that we guaranteed the first two years.

I've seen the Walden deal reported both ways as well. At first, Spotrac and everyone else reported the deal as having $8m guaranteed. Then later it stated the Colts had an option after Year 1, which would really make it only $4m guaranteed. Now, in the last couple of months, it's gone back to $8m guaranteed for the first two years. So I guess that's accurate. Meaning there is no restructuring Walden's contract in Year 2.

Even if it's not guaranteed in Year 2, there's simply no reason to restructure his deal, like you said. He's been a big part of our defense this year, and his contract is now sort of on the low end for a starting veteran Sam backer. He's making less money than guys like Jarrett Johnson and Paul Kruger who play the same position, but he's actually been better than both of them this year in several aspects. Kruger actually makes twice as much as Walden.

By the way, we get a small rebate on Walden's Year 1 base salary, due to his one game suspension. That's about $180k that we can carry forward to the 2014 cap.

I am shocked at everyone saying RJF has been average at best. I think he has been REALLY solid when healthy. 

I actually like him alot and think he is a disruptive playmaker.

I'm with you.  I have no idea why people think RJF has been "average".  He has exceeded my expectations for year 1 in a new defense with all new teammates.  I think there are some that don't understand his role in our defense.  

I also disagree with people who said that Redding has been average at best.  He has been good as well and again, I think some just aren't understanding his role in our defense. 

If I'm reading right, both Moala and Matthews will be FA and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if neither are brought back.  Some have suggested trying to get Arthur Jones in FA from Baltimore.  I would be all for that because for the long haul I think Jones, Jean-Francois and Montori Hughes could be a great 3 man rotation for the 3 tech and 5 tech roles.  

I've seen the Walden deal reported both ways as well. At first, Spotrac and everyone else reported the deal as having $8m guaranteed. Then later it stated the Colts had an option after Year 1, which would really make it only $4m guaranteed. Now, in the last couple of months, it's gone back to $8m guaranteed for the first two years. So I guess that's accurate. Meaning there is no restructuring Walden's contract in Year 2.

Even if it's not guaranteed in Year 2, there's simply no reason to restructure his deal, like you said. He's been a big part of our defense this year, and his contract is now sort of on the low end for a starting veteran Sam backer. He's making less money than guys like Jarrett Johnson and Paul Kruger who play the same position, but he's actually been better than both of them this year in several aspects. Kruger actually makes twice as much as Walden.

By the way, we get a small rebate on Walden's Year 1 base salary, due to his one game suspension. That's about $180k that we can carry forward to the 2014 cap.

Yep to all of that.

No reason to cut or restructure 3 or 4. I was more impressed with Howell playing safety than Bethea. He seems to play when he wants to lately. (imo)  And I would keep SBrown, saw where someone else here had him walking.

Not very often that it's a good move signing a player to his 3rd contract. Bethea is I'm sure a great locker room guy but is probably worth about half of what he and his agent will start out at. So these deals usually end up with the player rejecting a fair offer (that's assuming the Colts want to bring him back) and testing the free agent market. More often than not he'll end up signing for around the same as the original team's offer. Thing is , more often than not it's with another team. 

That said , I'm with you ....thinking we need to upgrade the play at his position.

Unfortunately we aren't coaches or GMs but this is very solid. Is AV still under contract, if not I'd def resign him. He's helped the Colts win multiple games this year. Not sure though about the OC, PEP has unleashed the team from this so called power run game philosophy and has spread it out more. I'd like to see him get another shot.

I think you mean "fortunately"

I would have to agree. I think RJF has been mediocre at best. No drop off (perhaps even an upgrade?) with the back ups in his place.

I don't understand what some of you were watching this year. Up until recently, Moala and Mathews were playing pretty bad in their reserve roles. There was a HUGE dropoff to them from RJF and Redding. Lately, Moala has stepped up a bit, probably because he's gotten more reps and more time (but also possibly because we played some easy teams down the stretch, and the Chiefs offensive line was down to reserves). RJF was strong against the run all year, disciplined and well-positioned, and has had an impact in every game. Not perfect, but a very important player for our defensive front. He could be better rushing the passer, but he wasn't bad there either.