Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Schiano fired.

Dustin

You could see it coming from a mile. This ain't college, professional leagues are player's leagues, NBA, MLB or NFL. You have to be a bit player friendly in order to get most out of them. There is a fine line between boot camp and having discipline top down.

The key is signing and retaining some senior players/players that are respected for leadership that are on the same page as the coach, IMO, that goes a long way in inculcating discipline.

premature. they lost both their RBs and had QB problems all year along with less then staller defense even with all the additions to their secondary

If your definition of "premature" can be summed up by saying "there are still more excuses we can make for him," then I'd agree. But I think in a lot of cases this week, these coaching changes come down to management/ownership simply not believing in the way the team is being coached/run, and feeling that the men they have running the team aren't the men they want running the team. If that's true, there's no reason to wait. Once the owner or GM feels that the head coach isn't the right guy for the job, the firing can't be premature. JMO

In Tampa's case, I think it was about Mark Dominik more than Greg Schiano. He's been bold and has spent a lot of money in free agency, but without good results in the win column. I happen to like the way Dominik has handled the cap, and I think the players they've brought in are good, but something's clearly off, and it's plainly obvious with no improvement over four years. And if they're going to bring in a new GM, they might as well let that GM decide who he wants as the head coach (and it's not like Schiano has done a great job in his two years; he's been quite a distraction himself). 

I like the way Irsay handled a similar situation two years ago. Fired the GM, hired a new GM, and let him make the final call on the head coach. Then they cooperated to find the new head coach. The Bucs will probably take a similar approach, except they obviously were already decided on not wanting Schiano anymore.

premature. they lost both their RBs and had QB problems all year along with less then staller defense even with all the additions to their secondary

By all accounts Schiano was a huge * and all of his players hated him. At least that's what I've read.

Do you think Schiano put in a call to NY Giants HC Tom Coughlin about any new position vacancies in the NFL? LOL! 

I think Greg knows football, but has the wrong temperament for motivating real men not boys as Chad72 suggested earlier. I could see Bill Belichick reaching out to him since his son attended Rutgers & NE drafted players from that university while he was the college HC there. Plus, Bill Bellichick traded for RB LeGarrette Blount from Tampa Bay too who has worked out great for the Patriots too. 

He is a smart enough football guy with a rough exterior people person wise. Sounds like a few bosses I used to work for actually.

If being a jerk ended all careers in the NFL, there would always be vacancies just like if infidelity was a disease most politicians would be dead. LOL! My point is this: If you know football, you won't be out of work very long. Being a jerk is not an NFL death sentence. Greg will land on his feet in either a college or NFL coordinator capacity. 

Nah Kubiak isn't that good.

Yeah, maybe not, but it seems there's like a stretch of players doing well once they leave us. JJ/Leach getting a SB ring, Holliday forgetting about his dropsies and ending up on a talented Broncos team, Dreesen as well...I was joking but it would be fitting the trend if Kubiak found sudden success elsewhere lol.

They have good talent their alot of the open jobs are good this year IMO the top 2 are the browns and lions tho

Yeah, whoever gets the Lions will be inheriting a lot of talent for sure. I'm not sure about that Browns job though....yes they are ready to compete but Chudzinski had what, one year to make something out of nothing? The regime is going to expect results and fast, so the head coach might not feel like he'll be safe unless the Browns make the playoffs in year one, which is a lot of pressure. It'll be even harder with yet another rookie QB but then again who knows, maybe the new guy will get a longer leash.

Yeah, whoever gets the Lions will be inheriting a lot of talent for sure. I'm not sure about that Browns job though....yes they are ready to compete but Chudzinski had what, one year to make something out of nothing? The regime is going to expect results and fast, so the head coach might not feel like he'll be safe unless the Browns make the playoffs in year one, which is a lot of pressure. It'll be even harder with yet another rookie QB but then again who knows, maybe the new guy will get a longer leash.

The browns job looks good cause of the talent already there plus all their cap space and 2 first round picks

if they can get a good coach they could go to the playoffs next year IMO They just can't be stupid in FA and have to draft smart