Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chanting "fire Caldwell!" During The Next Home Game, Speed Things Up?

joo 2h

Easy. Since the 14-1 fiasco, the Colts under Caldwell are a miserable 12-17. He has to go. 62 to 7 screams he is a terrible coach.

I believe for most fans the anger towards Caldwell comes down to those last two games vs the Jets and Bills two seasons ago and the game this past Sunday night vs. the Saints and it's sad that fans are basing their views off of basically 3 games.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering where were the "Fire Caldwell" signs during the 2009 or 2010 season? I mean I don't remember there being a HUGE outcry by the fans to fire him while the team went 14-2 in 2009. There were fans who had there undies in a bind because Caldwell and Polian decided to sit certain players in the last two games, but they were back cheering on the team vs both the Ravens and Jets and during the SB. I would hope fans would just take a deep breath, relax and allow for this season to play out, see what Polian and Irsay decide to do and see what happens next year....

What a good coach does is:

Prepare players for this game (not "make corrections" afterward)

Motivate for maximum effort

Game plan for opponent

Adjust during game for unforseen situations

Adjust own game playing according to player personell on the team

Teach and reemphasize basics all the time.

During game point out what may be coming up and remind team what is expected in each series on O and D

for instance.

These two imo are at the top of the list.

1.) Just because you may be a great guy doesn’t mean you are great at motivating people. We keep hearing how the team is playing so hard. Well playing hard and playing motivated are two different things. If Caldwell was such a motivator, why did they have to bring in Dungy to talk to the team?

2.) You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you can not relate to people in a way where they can grasp that knowledge then you are not a very good teacher. No one is saying you are dump, you just can’t teach.

Edited by FanFromtheWasteland

Just wondering where were the "Fire Caldwell" signs during the 2009 or 2010 season? I mean I don't remember there being a HUGE outcry by the fans to fire him while the team went 14-2 in 2009. There were fans who had there undies in a bind because Caldwell and Polian decided to sit certain players in the last two games, but they were back cheering on the team vs both the Ravens and Jets and during the SB. I would hope fans would just take a deep breath, relax and allow for this season to play out, see what Polian and Irsay decide to do and see what happens next year....

Anyone who saw the games that's year know it was not caldwell who made us 14-2 it was Peyton. Fans didn't like him after we got out coach in the superbowl, the late game timeout in the jets game, and now this season shows us how good of a coach he is. I know without Peyton we would lose, but Caldwell should of at least came out with just 1 win. He didn't make any changes or tell his OC to change the play calling a little, as the colts went out and ran the no huddle and looked lost. He is the leader of this team, when u see these mental errors on the field, ie.. Batch snap, painter not really knowing how to run the no huddle, defence allows 45+ points, when these things happen the head coach takes the fall. Even colts players are now taking shots At Jim Caldwell, something the colts. Players never do, so I don't want to hear this non sense. Jim hasn't done anything for us. I would love to see him lead us to 2 win. Lol! For a team that avg 13 wins a year

fire him

Edited by joo 2h

I have no expectations he'll be fired mid season. Unless we get blown out every week like last week. Aside from that though, I expecting him to make it through the season. But I see no reason to believe he will be back next year either. Something will be done, and he far and away the most obvious scapegoat. Him and Larry Coyer.

It remains to be seen if the Polians make it another year, but I'll be stunned if Caldwell and Coyer are back.

Coyer, actually might end up getting fired mid season. That actually wouldn't surprise me.

They were screaming for his head at 16-3 after going 14-0. (in February 2010)

This isn't a recent development, this started his first season....you see, at 14-0 hie looked terrible. We won a boat load of games that season by less than a TD by Mannings shear will in last minute drives.

Why am I wasting my time with you? You ovbiously don't watch football......done....

They were screaming for his head at 16-3 after going 14-0. (in February 2010)

This isn't a recent development, this started his first season....you see, at 14-0 hie looked terrible. We won a boat load of games that season by less than a TD by Mannings shear will in last minute drives.

Why am I wasting my time with you? You ovbiously don't watch football......done....

No I watched the game I didn't hear fans screaming for him to be fired, or no did I see fans with signs at the game calling for him to be fired, there was not one announcer or so called "expert" saying he was a bad coach. Fans didn't get upset till game 15 and 16 and that wasn't because they thought he was a bad coach, they were ticked because the fans for some reason still unknown to me thought they he and or Polian had taken something from "them" by basically giving up in those 2 games. That is when the people became vocal and not because they didn't think he couldn't coach.

No I watched the game I didn't hear fans screaming for him to be fired, or no did I see fans with signs at the game calling for him to be fired, there was not one announcer or so called "expert" saying he was a bad coach. Fans didn't get upset till game 15 and 16 and that wasn't because they thought he was a bad coach, they were ticked because the fans for some reason still unknown to me thought they he and or Polian had taken something from "them" by basically giving up in those 2 games. That is when the people became vocal and not because they didn't think he couldn't coach.

Whoever made that decision (and both Polian and Caldwell said Caldwell made it) DID take something from the fans AND players. If you watched that game on TV did you not SEE the looks on the players faces? Did you not hear the boos from the crowd?

Whoever made that decision (and both Polian and Caldwell said Caldwell made it) DID take something from the fans AND players. If you watched that game on TV did you not SEE the looks on the players faces? Did you not hear the boos from the crowd?

Like I have said numerous times what the fans think doesn't matter. As for the players, you know what get over it, it was a decision made by their bosses, it happens all the time in the business world. The objective of any NFL team is to win the Superbowl, and the mag't team running the Colts felt this was the best way to go about doing it.

Like I have said numerous times what the fans think doesn't matter. As for the players, you know what get over it, it was a decision made by their bosses, it happens all the time in the business world. The objective of any NFL team is to win the Superbowl, and the mag't team running the Colts felt this was the best way to go about doing it.

I do have to ask this question though. If fear of injuries was their motivation for that decision (and that is what Billy Boy was saying), why was Freeney still in the Jets playoff game at the end when it was already won and low and behold he gets hurt. Why wasn’t he setting on the bench resting for the SB by that time?

And how did that work out?????

The objective of any NFL team is to make money. What the fans think is the most important thing because they are the source of that money.

I have no expectations he'll be fired mid season. Unless we get blown out every week like last week. Aside from that though, I expecting him to make it through the season. But I see no reason to believe he will be back next year either. Something will be done, and he far and away the most obvious scapegoat. Him and Larry Coyer.

It remains to be seen if the Polians make it another year, but I'll be stunned if Caldwell and Coyer are back.

Coyer, actually might end up getting fired mid season. That actually wouldn't surprise me.

I hope you are right. Imo...I have seen enough of Caldwell & Coyer. However, as much as I want to see Caldwell gone, I just don't know if Irsay & Polian will actually pull the plug on him in a season where not having Peyton can easily be used as an excuse. They are loyal to a fault sometimes and I wouldn't put it past them to attribute Caldwell's struggles to not having Peyton rather than acknowledge that they made a poor hiring decision in the name of "doing what we do". A convenient excuse is already in place with Peyton's absence and they just may be deluded enough to keep Caldwell around for one more go around with a hopefully healthy #18.

I believe Coyer is as good as gone though. As bad as our defense has been, I can't envision a scenario where he manages to keep his gig.

Edited by Coltsman1788

I do have to ask this question though. If fear of injuries was their motivation for that decision (and that is what Billy Boy was saying), why was Freeney still in the Jets playoff game at the end when it was already won and low and behold he gets hurt. Why wasn’t he setting on the bench resting for the SB by that time?

this one is a mystery to me . . . to this day I can not think of a reason why Freeney was still in that game . . .

Can someone please explain to me why a coach has to be a yeller screaming in your face type of guy to be considered a good coach?

I never said that about a coach. The best coach I ever had was a Dungy style, stayed calm, never yelled and got everyone to play hard and buy into the team. I haven't seen that out of Caldwell at all. There's simply no reaction out of him. I've heard nothing but positive talk from players who played for Dungy. To this day, I have not heard one player buy into Caldwell that way.

Well.while I may not agree to a person's opinion,I believe in their right to state their opinion.But some of the comments in this thread are almost hateful,bordering on libelous.Does anyone personally know Mr. Caldwell to the point where they can talk about him in such a disrespectful manner?OK,maybe his coaching is suspect but to resort to name calling and public humiliation is questionable at best.Definitely some unColts like commentary being thrown around.

I hope you are right. Imo...I have seen enough of Caldwell & Coyer. However, as much as I want to see Caldwell gone, I just don't know if Irsay & Polian will actually pull the plug on him in a season where not having Peyton can easily be used as an excuse. They are loyal to a fault sometimes and I wouldn't put it past them to attribute Caldwell's struggles to not having Peyton rather than acknowledge that they made a poor hiring decision in the name of "doing what we do". A convenient excuse is already in place with Peyton's absence and they just may be deluded enough to keep Caldwell around for one more go around with a hopefully healthy #18.

I believe Coyer is as good as gone though. As bad as our defense has been, I can't envision a scenario where he manages to keep his gig.

Mike Florio made the point that there isn't really anyone on the Colts coaching staff qualified to take over.

Tressel is qualified and if it goes down mid season the Sweatervest will be the man. I would personally like to see what he could do for 6-8 games without Manning.

This season was a great chance for Caldwell to shut all his critics up, but he has failed. It would be the same for Tressel.

Ridiculous, monday morning quarterbacking type nonsense.

There were over 2 minutes left in the game, the Colts were only up 13 points and Jets had the freaking ball. That is perfectly reasonable to have your # 1's in the lineup at that point. His injury was bad luck. It was not bad coaching.

Edited by jskinnz

Tressel is qualified and if it goes down mid season the Sweatervest will be the man. I would personally like to see what he could do for 6-8 games without Manning.

This season was a great chance for Caldwell to shut all his critics up, but he has failed. It would be the same for Tressel.

Florio seems to think that NFL experience matters. I tend to agree, Tressel is a head coach, but I would not want to throw him in there unless the plan is to tank.

Ridiculous, monday morning quarterbacking type nonsense.

There were over 2 minutes left in the game, the Colts were only up 13 points and Jets had the freaking ball. That is perfectly reasonable to have your # 1's in the lineup at that point. His injury was bad luck. It was not bad coaching.

Alright, explain why Manning, Clark and Wayne were in the Buffalo game in the lousy snow/weather aside from reaching personal milestones? The field is frozen and icy and near whiteout conditions prevailed. Risking injury so Clark and Wayne could attain the 100 reception mark.

Alright, explain why Manning, Clark and Wayne were in the Buffalo game in the lousy snow/weather aside from reaching personal milestones? The field is frozen and icy and near whiteout conditions prevailed. Risking injury so Clark and Wayne could attain the 100 reception mark.

Exactly. Seems the fear of failure was the overiding factor in going for 19-0, doesn't it.

What woudl you think about Christensen for interim head coach making his own offensive calls, and Tressel in place of Coyer? I know, Tressel is supposed to be offense expert, but Clyde ain't bad, and I'll betcha Tressel would be better than Coyer, especially as an interim position. Then let the results (not W/L, but performance during game) determine what is to happen in off-season. If things not looking good by December, then start active search for whatever coaching needs we think would be appropriate and announce changes immediately at the close of the season, Mid February, after Super Bowl.

To me there is no rational explanation for why they pulled starters against the Jets and then played for what was clearly only personal goals against the Bills. Frankly I don't care about it either. I was only commenting on Freeney playing late in the AFC Championship game was absolutely reasonable. That game had yet to be officially put in the win column when he got hurt.

And how did that work out?????

They got beat by a better talented team. It was a pretty close game, so we don't know if sitting them helped or hurt, what we do know is that the Jets and Bills game ment nothing except to some misguided Colt fans.

The objective of any NFL team is to make money. What the fans think is the most important thing because they are the source of that money.

Ask Jerry Jones or Mike Brown or other NFL owners in private how much the care what the fans think or voice? they know that NFL fans are going to keep coming out in big numbers and that in the end their voices are of little concern to them.

Simple answer, those marks mean money to the players and Caldwell to a degree is a players coach. I wouldn't have done it, but he did.

Who?

It really doesn't matter. Dungy was soft and passive, almost vanilla and we still won. One SB. Then we got Caldwell, a soft vanilla Dungy clone, and he went to SB, big deal we lost it, they were the better team, that's why we lost.

As long as PM is playing for this team we can win with these "soft" coaches, this is the only way we know how to do it.

Why would we want someone else here? Their new regime can mess everything up and make it impossible for our undertalented team to function.

Just wondering how long have you had those seats?

Had season tickets since 1984. Improved several times, which was real easy during 3-13 and 0-15 seasons. They had "seat day" for season ticket holders. You could go into the stadium and they had tags on seats that were not sold as season tickets. You could pull the tag, take it out to the concourse, and make your trade on the spot.

Have sat high in the corner, under the scoreboard, row 23 in the club seats on the 40, 3rd row in the endzone, 8th row in the end zone, and finally settled on these as the best seats in the house. 10 rows in front of the suites in the end zone, nearly even with the hash marks. Have had 9 seats there since 1992. My children/grandchilren use 5. Other 4 are for gma/gpa use. These are the 4 that may be for sale in February.

Edited by BIGugly

It really doesn't matter. Dungy was soft and passive, almost vanilla and we still won. One SB. Then we got Caldwell, a soft vanilla Dungy clone, and he went to SB, big deal we lost it, they were the better team, that's why we lost.

As long as PM is playing for this team we can win with these "soft" coaches, this is the only way we know how to do it.

Why would we want someone else here? Their new regime can mess everything up and make it impossible for our undertalented team to function.

well said, With Peyton ANYONE one can win. I can win 10 games a year with PM as head coach, all i have to do is let him do all the work lol!

caldwell has had a losing record his whole life before he came to the colts, Im sure if he went to a team like the bills, he would of never made the playoff and all 3 of his seasons.

Had season tickets since 1984. Improved several times, which was real easy during 3-13 and 0-15 seasons. They had "seat day" for season ticket holders. You could go into the stadium and they had tags on seats that were not sold as season tickets. You could pull the tag, take it out to the concourse, and make your trade on the spot.

Have sat high in the corner, under the scoreboard, row 23 in the club seats on the 40, 3rd row in the endzone, 8th row in the end zone, and finally settled on these as the best seats in the house. 10 rows in front of the suites in the end zone, nearly even with the hash marks. Have had 9 seats there since 1992. My children/grandchilren use 5. Other 4 are for gma/gpa use. These are the 4 that may be for sale in February.

Has is the view up there? I am looking at going to the titans game (first game ever at Lucas) and tix on Stub hub are up in that area.