Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Rex Ryan is fired, do you think he will coach where his Dad did?

chad72

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

If Rex Ryan is fired, will he go to the Bears as DC and install a hybrid D, also playing his Dad Buddy Ryan's 4-6 every once in a while there???

Rex Ryan likes the spotlight, and that would be a logical place to go if he is fired.

Thoughts???

I think he stays in the AFC for some reason. He has a lot of times in Baltimore and in Indy so he could end up there or perhaps the Cowboys if he does go to the NFC as his brother has ties there.

I don't think he will go to the Cowboys because they wronged his brother, IMO. Rob Ryan was Jerry Jones' fall guy, conveniently.

He might go to the Bears to stick it to the Cowboys. Plus, he loves challenges going against elite QBs. He would love to go against Rodgers twice a year, IMO, just like he liked to go against Brady.

I can see rex getting another HC job. I think the lions would be a perfect fit for him. nasty defense and potent offense when stafford isnt doing his best brett favre impersonation

If Schwartz is fired, I'm certain the Detroit Lions go after Lovie Smith. He fits the 4-3 D assembled, he brings discipline, and has the extra oomph to go against the Bears twice a year.

I don't think he will go to the Cowboys because they wronged his brother, IMO. Rob Ryan was Jerry Jones' fall guy, conveniently.

He might go to the Bears to stick it to the Cowboys. Plus, he loves challenges going against elite QBs. He would love to go against Rodgers twice a year, IMO, just like he liked to go against Brady.

What about the Pats? ha,ha. His brother Rob was a coach for years with Bill.

If Schwartz is fired, I'm certain the Detroit Lions go after Lovie Smith. He fits the 4-3 D assembled, he brings discipline, and has the extra oomph to go against the Bears twice a year.

I dont get what the fascination is with lovie. the bears only made the playoffs what two times under him

I dont get what the fascination is with lovie. the bears only made the playoffs what two times under him

They had a lot of winning seasons and a nasty pass defense. If you are already confident in your offense (the chink in his armor), then hes a perfect fit. Lovie to Detroit would be fantastic.

They had a lot of winning seasons and a nasty pass defense. If you are already confident in your offense (the chink in his armor), then hes a perfect fit. Lovie to Detroit would be fantastic.

rex is the better defensive mind though. they already have a lot of good pieces. move fairley and suh to the outside and young and azeh or whatever way you spell it to rush LBers. they just need a true NT

I always thought the Bears were a fraud under Lovie. Take care of the ball you win the game. Not to mention his blunders when it comes to hiring offensive coordinators.

I always thought the Bears were a fraud under Lovie. Take care of the ball you win the game. Not to mention his blunders when it comes to hiring offensive coordinators.

You cant let him have control of the offense, no. But as a defensive head coach he will instill discipline and great defensive schemes, which are the two things Detroit needs most. The more I think about it, the more that seems to be the perfect fit for Lovie Smith. Hire him, hire his offensive coordinator for him, Megatron + a disciplined Detroit defensive line... they might actually become a force rather than a farce.

I doubt Rex Ryan would want to take a down step and be a defensive coordinator again.  I think he wants to be a head coach again if he's fired.

Lions seem like the best fit for Rex or any coach looking for a job.  Why?  They got a great QB, powerful offense and a very good defense.  All the Lions need is good coaching.  I think the Lions are closer to a SB run than the Bears are.

Rex needs to be a head coach and not micromanage.  He's not Bill Belichick.

If Rex and Lovie can put aside their ego's and work together they would be great together.  One has a head coach and the other as a D coordinator on the same team.

I doubt Rex Ryan would want to take a down step and be a defensive coordinator again. I think he wants to be a head coach again if he's fired.

Lions seem like the best fit for Rex or any coach looking for a job. Why? They got a great QB, powerful offense and a very good defense. All the Lions need is good coaching. I think the Lions are closer to a SB run than the Bears are.

Rex needs to be a head coach and not micromanage. He's not Bill Belichick.

If Rex and Lovie can put aside their ego's and work together they would be great together. One has a head coach and the other as a D coordinator on the same team.

Rex and Lovie would be awful together. Their defensive ideas are polar opposites.

Lovie Smith interviewed for the Texans job and it lasted for as long as long as it takes to say thanks for coming. 

I don't see Ryan leaving a team with no QB. They need to get a QB to replace the guys that think they are QBs. 

Detroit will be an interesting story-tons of talent everywhere and yet another fizzle in to oblivion. Who will get or want that job?

Will Harbaugh stay in SF?

The Giants and Redskins are lost with no future in coaching and in players.

If you look at where the openings will (likely) be, I can't see a perfect fit anywhere for Ryan, at least not right off the bat.

Personally I think Detroit is a bad match for him, because they really need an offensive-minded guy to get Stafford back on track and to straighten out that offense. Houston is also no good... their quarterback situation is a mess. 

The ideal match will be a team with an established QB, a decent offense, and a young (promising but probably underachieving) defense. I don't think any of the jobs will offer all that though. 

If Tampa fires Schiano, they'd be smart to hire Rex. He'd have a solid core with the defense (and would be reunited with Revis, who seemed to play his best for RR), an unexciting but capable game-manager-type in Glennon, and a stud back in Martin. 

If you look at where the openings will (likely) be, I can't see a perfect fit anywhere for Ryan, at least not right off the bat.

Personally I think Detroit is a bad match for him, because they really need an offensive-minded guy to get Stafford back on track and to straighten out that offense. Houston is also no good... their quarterback situation is a mess.

The ideal match will be a team with an established QB, a decent offense, and a young (promising but probably underachieving) defense. I don't think any of the jobs will offer all that though.

If Tampa fires Schiano, they'd be smart to hire Rex. He'd have a solid core with the defense (and would be reunited with Revis, who seemed to play his best for RR), an unexciting but capable game-manager-type in Glennon, and a stud back in Martin.

Tampa would be the best fit for Ryan if Schiano goes, but I dont see them going in that opposite of a direction in coaching style. The owners like disciplinarian style coaching, Schiano was just to far out there.

In all likelihood, Ryan will have to go back to being a DC for a year or two until the perfect opportunity opens itself up. Ideally (for me), Manusky gets the axe and Rex comes to Indy to work with Pagano again in a Baltimore reunion. More likely, he ends up DC at a place doing a total regime change, then bails a year later for a HC gig.

Agreed!!  He comes across as a Dungy/Caldwell type of guy.  Very calm and quiet (arguably too calm), emotionless (which could be a good or bad thing), and overrated because of the players he had.  The Bears defense of the mid-2000s was incredible.

Lovie Smith interviewed for the Texans job and it lasted for as long as long as it takes to say thanks for coming. 

I don't see Ryan leaving a team with no QB. They need to get a QB to replace the guys that think they are QBs. 

Detroit will be an interesting story-tons of talent everywhere and yet another fizzle in to oblivion. Who will get or want that job?

Will Harbaugh stay in SF?

The Giants and Redskins are lost with no future in coaching and in players.

Any details on why Lovie's Texans' interview didn't last long?

Why would Harbaugh leave SF when every year now they are Super Bowl contenders?

The NY media always claims the Giants are down and out for the next 10 years after they have one or 2 bad years.  Giants under Coughlin and Eli at QB seem to be a team that will make a super bowl run and win the super bowl every 4 to 6 years.

One of the worst teams to be a head coach of I would say is the Dallas Cowboys.  You got to deal with an obsessed owner who is the GM who talks to the media more than any other owner and have to play in some massive futuristic Disney World entertainment stadium.

Lions is a good match for Ryan.  A head coach is the head coach and should be not the defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator.   Maybe the Lions need an offensive coordinator or better one?  A defensive minded coach or offensive minded coach often has no bearing on your team's defensive and offensive stats.  Bill Belichick is supposedly a defensive genius and his teams have been at the bottom of the league in defense since 2007.  Patriots have a great QB that keeps them in it and gives them a chance every game.  The Lions have a great QB something Ryan never had with the Jets.  Give Ryan a team like the Lions that are balanced and he will bring discipline to that team.

Lions is a good match for Ryan. A head coach is the head coach and should be not the defensive coordinator or offensive coordinator. Maybe the Lions need an offensive coordinator or better one? A defensive minded coach or offensive minded coach often has no bearing on your team's defensive and offensive stats. Bill Belichick is supposedly a defensive genius and his teams have been at the bottom of the league in defense since 2007. Patriots have a great QB that keeps them in it and gives them a chance every game. The Lions have a great QB something Ryan never had with the Jets. Give Ryan a team like the Lions that are balanced and he will bring discipline to that team.

> Great QB

> Matthew Stafford

Pick one.

> Great QB

> Matthew Stafford

Pick one.

Mathew Stafford is a great QB who put up one of the best seasons for a QB ever in passing yards.  He plays on a undisciplined team where the coaches don't know how to capitalize on all that talent.  Stafford could take the Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Chiefs, 49ers and Seahawks on a Super Bowl run because those teams have great coaching.

Mathew Stafford is a great QB who put up one of the best seasons for a QB ever in passing yards. He plays on a undisciplined team where the coaches don't know how to capitalize on all that talent. Stafford could take the Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Chiefs, 49ers and Seahawks on a Super Bowl run because those teams have great coaching.

Stafford is above average. Good maybe. Great lolno. He would not win with the Broncos either. That team without Peyton Manning is awful. Doubtful he would win with the Colts, as there isnt the best WR in the game right now to bail him out. I doubt he would do anything with the Pats either. The other teams you mentioned are firaris that could win with Blaine Gabbert, so the point is moot.

So again

> Great QB

> Stafford

Pick one.

Any details on why Lovie's Texans' interview didn't last long?

I am speculating that they wanted him to work with Wade Philips and he probably wanted to change up the defensive scheme from what they were playing???

Or, the Texans' interview was just hogwash, to satisfy the Rooney rule. I'm leaning towards the first.

I am speculating that they wanted him to work with Wade Philips and he probably wanted to change up the defensive scheme from what they were playing???

Or, the Texans' interview was just hogwash, to satisfy the Rooney rule. I'm leaning towards the first.

I don't think the Rooney Rule would be satisfied unless he was actually hired....right?

Stafford is above average. Good maybe. Great lolno. He would not win with the Broncos either. That team without Peyton Manning is awful. Doubtful he would win with the Colts, as there isnt the best WR in the game right now to bail him out. I doubt he would do anything with the Pats either. The other teams you mentioned are firaris that could win with Blaine Gabbert, so the point is moot.

So again

> Great QB

> Stafford

Pick one.

Matthew Stafford is one of the underrated young guns in the league. With the receivers the Broncos have I could definitely see him winning there, though admittedly he probably wouldn't fare well playing on the Patriots. I could see him doing well as a Colt too but maybe that's just me.

Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, you just need to interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching vacancies.

Following no minority head coaching hires last year, proponents of the rule suggest it needs to be extended to OCs, DCs, and assistants too. But the problem with that is, head coaches normally have their set of guys they are most comfortable with as OC and DC that they put in place. So, it could cause a clash and make this rule an even greater farce if you extend it with more minority interviews being done just for the sake of it, IMO. 

Matthew Stafford is one of the underrated young guns in the league. With the receivers the Broncos have I could definitely see him winning there, though admittedly he probably wouldn't fare well playing on the Patriots. I could see him doing well as a Colt too but maybe that's just me.

Dont get me wrong, he isnt bad, hes just not great. He is on the same tier as Cutler, good, but not good enough to get his team over the hump in a pinch. I would put the incredibly overrated Matt Ryan in that same group.

You want to talk young QBs who are the future of the league? Give me Luck, Wilson, Newton, and Foles, with a potential for Kaepernick, Dalton, and a long shot at Glennon.

Stafford just is what he is. He's okay.

Yeah, you just need to interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching vacancies.

Following no minority head coaching hires last year, proponents of the rule suggest it needs to be extended to OCs, DCs, and assistants too. But the problem with that is, head coaches normally have their set of guys they are most comfortable with as OC and DC that they put in place. So, it could cause a clash and make this rule an even greater farce if you extend it with more minority interviews being done just for the sake of it, IMO. 

Yeah, true, and the league will know (though I'm sure they do already) that the interviews will just be being held in order to fill the quota so to speak, though no hires would necessarily be made just because the coach/OC/DC is a minority. Things could definitely get tense if it does extend to the coordinators and assistants. Whoever gets hired gets hired, or that's my view on it anyway.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Imagine if he went to Philly.

Dont get me wrong, he isnt bad, hes just not great. He is on the same tier as Cutler, good, but not good enough to get his team over the hump in a pinch. I would put the incredibly overrated Matt Ryan in that same group.

You want to talk young QBs who are the future of the league? Give me Luck, Wilson, Newton, and Foles, with a potential for Kaepernick, Dalton, and a long shot at Glennon.

I agree about the Cutler thing, I definitely see he and Stafford as being on the same level. But there's years and years ahead, especially in Stafford's case, for improvement. The other guys I can definitely see as being the "future" of the league (still iffy on Dalton and not at all a fan of Glennon lol) and maybe the new cream of the crop guys coming into the AFC this year will balance things out in both conferences. Imagining Stafford with Megatron and a true number two, along with a running game headed by Bush and a defense that can continue to get better, I could definitely see him getting a ring sooner if not later. I like the young guys (Foles, Griff, Wilson, Andrew, etc.) but it is only a small sample size and who knows who will be running the league years from now. Wilson looks to be the one set for the most dominance with that team around him, and he and Kaepernick are going to be vying in championship games for the next decade probably lol.

IMO Stafford is as good or better then Dalton

IMO Stafford is as good or better then Dalton

I would say they are the same now, but Dalton has the potential to be better if he can even out his game. Stafford looks better than he is because of the recieving weapons in Megatron and Bush that surround him. Stafford is very much a mid tier gunslinger, big risks with big rewards because of the recieving talent he is throwing to. If he would play with less reckless abandon he could be better, but I dont think thata changing now, its just part of the Stafford package. Hes a good enough QB made to look better than he is by the weapons he throws to.

Just throwing it out there for discussion.

If Rex Ryan is fired, will he go to the Bears as DC and install a hybrid D, also playing his Dad Buddy Ryan's 4-6 every once in a while there???

Rex Ryan likes the spotlight, and that would be a logical place to go if he is fired.

Thoughts???

Sounds nice..and it would be fiiting but he would never accept a DC job on e year after being a head coach.

H'ed want to go to Minnesota or even Oakland