Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary cap calculator.

Robert Mathis has been on a tear this year but I'm not sure about the future. I believe Pagano is trying to establish a Raven-esque defense. Werner would/will be used in a Terrell Suggs type of role and a more pure pass rusher will be put across from him. Orakpo would be the pure pass rusher and would take Mathis's role. Mathis could be a passing down rusher. Part of the reason I chose the players I did is because of how they resemble the Raven's defense. Byrd would assume the role that Reed had and would also allow them to use Landry similarly to how Bernard Pollard played while he was there. Beason would step in as a leader and give us a very good ILB to complement Freeman. Verner is because Toler cant get back onto the field and is therefore useless. I could also see them make a trade for someone like Lardarius Webb due to the fact that Pagano seems to like playing corners on one half of the field. I think Holmes may step up and although he'll struggle I'm curious as to what the staff thinks and I'm just not sure Grigson would put someone else in front of him right now

My idea is that we can hold off and grab a OLB in the 2015 draft I think if we get all the major holes this year we can possibly make a run for the Lombardi next year worry about replacing vets starting next year

My list if FA I want most is

Mack

Asamoah

Byrd/Ward

Verner/Shields

Draft

Smallwood/Bullough

My idea is that we can hold off and grab a OLB in the 2015 draft I think if we get all the major holes this year we can possibly make a run for the Lombardi next year worry about replacing vets starting next year

My list if FA I want most is

Mack

Asamoah

Byrd/Ward

Verner/Shields

Draft

Smallwood/Bullough

I suppose they could wait to draft an OLB. Im going to hold out hope that Holmes and Thornton pan out and succeed plus Thomas will come back which hopefully would make Mack and Asamoah unnecessary. I agree they need a better #2 corner who can actually get and stay on the field. I would be ok with sending the draft picks for a young receiver. I would call about Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon and their availability in the event Wayne cant return to his previous self.

I suppose they could wait to draft an OLB. Im going to hold out hope that Holmes and Thornton pan out and succeed plus Thomas will come back which hopefully would make Mack and Asamoah unnecessary. I agree they need a better #2 corner who can actually get and stay on the field. I would be ok with sending the draft picks for a young receiver. I would call about Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon and their availability in the event Wayne cant return to his previous self.

Only problem with HOPING Holmes and Thorton pan out is if they don't were stuck with the same crap line issues and our franchise QB has already been hit WAY too much IMO we need to just quit pissin around and take care of it

Only problem with HOPING Holmes and Thorton pan out is if they don't were stuck with the same crap line issues and our franchise QB has already been hit WAY too much IMO we need to just quit pissin around and take care of it

A good deal of the issue is on the line, some is on the receivers and running backs and some is on Andrew. Luck needs to just throw it away or run for a few yards and slide sometimes. He always wants the big play but it isn't there and the line isn't good enough for him to take all day. I was watching the Bears game the other day and Forte was amazing at blitz pick up. If Richardson ever develops that well then its a first round pick that doesn't look so poorly spent. The other reason Luck gets hit so much is he has to wait for a receiver to get open. People were talking about how great the line was last game and while it looked a little better, I think most of that was because Rogers was getting separation and forcing the issue. The Colts certainly don't have a world beater of an oline but there are ways to compensate. I'd be all for Mack and I was one of the first ones to bring up Asamoah but I don't believe Grigson will go for it.

A good deal of the issue is on the line, some is on the receivers and running backs and some is on Andrew. Luck needs to just throw it away or run for a few yards and slide sometimes. He always wants the big play but it isn't there and the line isn't good enough for him to take all day. I was watching the Bears game the other day and Forte was amazing at blitz pick up. If Richardson ever develops that well then its a first round pick that doesn't look so poorly spent. The other reason Luck gets hit so much is he has to wait for a receiver to get open. People were talking about how great the line was last game and while it looked a little better, I think most of that was because Rogers was getting separation and forcing the issue. The Colts certainly don't have a world beater of an oline but there are ways to compensate. I'd be all for Mack and I was one of the first ones to bring up Asamoah but I don't believe Grigson will go for it.

That's my problem I see us not going after any of the real good FAs :(

idk Dustin, the Browns also have Alex Mack going into FA this year also. I guess if Mack gets a big enough contract, then Ward could be franchised or vice-versa ?

Or the Browns could lock both up the up long term, they have 40m in cap space

idk Dustin, the Browns also have Alex Mack going into FA this year also. I guess if Mack gets a big enough contract, then Ward could be franchised or vice-versa ?

The only way Cleveland uses the tag on Mack is if the two sides are close to a contract and agree to tag him until the deal is finalized. Otherwise they have to pay mack left tackle money which would be about 4 million more than the highest paid center in the league. i don't think they could even franchise him with the hope of reaching a deal before the deadline. Why wouldn't Mack just take the one year deal at 11 mill and then sign a market contract the following year. Would be a huge gamble by Cleveland to franchise him figuring they could sign him later.

Satale for sure . Tolar no way unless he doesn't make it back this year at all. 

Yeah, I don't see us cutting Toler. Him missing two months is annoying, but we can hope he'll make it through next season. Cutting him makes us worse, just like our pass coverage has been worse without him.

Satele, I'm holding on to the Zbikowski release as proof that Grigson and Pagano can cut ties with one of their early acquisitions after seeing how poorly he's done. I'd be really disappointed if we don't move on.

Yeah, I don't see us cutting Toler. Him missing two months is annoying, but we can hope he'll make it through next season. Cutting him makes us worse, just like our pass coverage has been worse without him.

Satele, I'm holding on to the Zbikowski release as proof that Grigson and Pagano can cut ties with one of their early acquisitions after seeing how poorly he's done. I'd be really disappointed if we don't move on.

They can't possibly pay that base salary with only about a mill in dead money. He's gone. Cleveland can't franchise Mack and maybe they don't value the position enough to pay him 6+ mill. I say the fact that they didn't already extend him points to them at least not being sure they are going to pay the man.

They can't possibly pay that base salary with only about a mill in dead money. He's gone. Cleveland can't franchise Mack and maybe they don't value the position enough to pay him 6+ mill. I say the fact that they didn't already extend him points to them at least not being sure they are going to pay the man.

We'll see on Mack. I don't think they should let him walk, but maybe they don't want to pay him. They have a ton of cap space; it would be a mistake to let a foundational piece like him leave. If that happens, I'm all for signing him. 

Whether Mack is available or not, I think we should cut Satele. My fingers are crossed.

They were in talks before the season the regular season started, but Mack didn't want to negotiate during the season if I remember right.

I wouldn't read too much into that.  We still havn't extended Patty Mac or V. Davis and most of us are sure that we will.  

I wouldn't read too much into that.  We still havn't extended Patty Mac or V. Davis and most of us are sure that we will.  

The difference being that we used up of  our cap space on 2013 free agents and I believe Cleveland carried a bunch over into 2014. Makes sense as they knew they wouldn't contend in 2013 and the Colts felt they could.So if they were sure they wanted to retain him , it might have been beneficial to sign him last year . Especially considering the market was so weak. 

I'm not saying that this means they don't or didn't want to extend him. Just saying they had tons of cap room in 2013 and you can always make a better deal giving a player his big guaranteed payday a year early. Also as I said , they don't have a "legitimate" option to franchise him as he gets LT money. 

They were in talks before the season the regular season started, but Mack didn't want to negotiate during the season if I remember right.

Yeah... I mean you have a very good player on a team with tons of cap room... so probably a good bet that he doesn't hit the open market. I'm just pointing out the fact that many GM's don't want to spend around 7 mill on a center. They can't franchise him and just thinking that maybe he'll be available.

Yeah... I mean you have a very good player on a team with tons of cap room... so probably a good bet that he doesn't hit the open market. I'm just pointing out the fact that many GM's don't want to spend around 7 mill on a center. They can't franchise him and just thinking that maybe he'll be available.

With that kind of cap space, they can do $7m a year without a big signing bonus. They can frontload the deal with a roster bonus and Year 1&2 guaranteed salary. Then, they don't have greatly escalating cap hits, and they have some flexibility in the future if his play falls off or he battles injuries.

If I were the Browns or Raiders or any team with a ton of cap space, that's how I'd be structuring contracts. I wouldn't let someone like Mack walk.

And that fits in with the franchise tag. You make a good point; they don't want to tag him for $11m, but I doubt they want to let him walk. They could re-do that tag with guaranteed salary in Year 2 and practically double the value, allowing Mack to insure himself against injury. It's not ideal, but it can work.

It's another story entirely if he just wants out. I could see that being the case earlier this year when he cut off negotiations, but the Browns look better now than they did three months ago.

I really like TJ Ward. I think he's playing at a top 10 level this season. He's flexible, being able to play in the box and single-high looks (which we play a lot of) so he's not your typical SS (like a guy like Landry or Pollard). Unfortunately, I expect Cleveland to use their franchise tag on him. If that's not the case, I hope Grigson explores bringing him in to replace Bethea. 

The browns can't tag both mack and he. I hope they tag ward and leave mack possibly available.

We'll see on Mack. I don't think they should let him walk, but maybe they don't want to pay him. They have a ton of cap space; it would be a mistake to let a foundational piece like him leave. If that happens, I'm all for signing him. 

Whether Mack is available or not, I think we should cut Satele. My fingers are crossed.

Another year of satele and i'll puke. I'm even for holmes starting (ready or not) over him at this point. I don't even want him (S.S.) as a back- up role player.