Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Colts @ Bengals Refo

HtownColt

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/09/refo-colts-bengals-week-14/

Holding the Line

On the season, Andrew Luck has been pressured on over 38% of his dropbacks. Against the Bengals, that number was just 18.8% – or 9 of his 48 dropbacks – impressive facing a formidable front, albeit without Geno Atkins. Credit the tackles Anthony Costanzo and Gosder Cherilus, who combined to allow just one hurry. The Colts were equally stout on the inside with guards Mike McGlynn and Joe Reitz surrendering three hurries between them, while both players also graded positively in run blocking. For a line that’s struggled at times this season – the line ranks 28th in Pass Blocking Efficiency – it was encouraging to see the likes of Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap mostly held in check. Also consider Luck’s quick decision making in the pocket; he averaged a time to attempt of 2.44 seconds, significantly quicker than his season average of 2.63.

- Rookie Josh McNary was one of the few Colt defenders to grade positively, with two third-down stops on passes to Gio Bernard.

A defense that saw 14 of 19 players grade negatively, nine of them below -1.5.

Also

@GoColtsDammit: Da'Rick Rogers earned a (+0.4) grade by @PFF. Apparently he didn't do much to impress them. Smh. #Colts

@kyler11: Mike McGlynn with the highest @PFF grade on the entire team for the Colts yesterday. I may need to go get my eyes checked

@ryandaryk: Da'Rick Rogers played 41 (68%) of the Colts snaps yesterday. Heyward-Bey was in on 23, 42 for Brazill, 45 Hilton

I said in my grades that we had four pressures. Same as PFF.

PFF says 9 out of 48 drop backs(18%), 4 combined from Castanzo, Cherilus, McGlynn, Reitz. That means 5 more had to come from the TEs. RBs, and Satele. Still was good protection all game for Luck

Castonzo, Reitz, McGlynn, Thornton/Link, Cherilus.

That should be the line.  I think Thornton would do better at RG next to Cherilus and we know Reitz and Castonzo play well together.

Based on what?

I understand he is a rookie but this fascination with a player who has been a central culprit in our horrendous interior line really confuses me. People spend countless hours complaining about the O-Line, and then plead cases for the worst players in it? Come on....

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/09/refo-colts-bengals-week-14/

Holding the Line

On the season, Andrew Luck has been pressured on over 38% of his dropbacks. Against the Bengals, that number was just 18.8% – or 9 of his 48 dropbacks – impressive facing a formidable front, albeit without Geno Atkins. Credit the tackles Anthony Costanzo and Gosder Cherilus, who combined to allow just one hurry. The Colts were equally stout on the inside with guards Mike McGlynn and Joe Reitz surrendering three hurries between them, while both players also graded positively in run blocking. For a line that’s struggled at times this season – the line ranks 28th in Pass Blocking Efficiency – it was encouraging to see the likes of Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap mostly held in check. Also consider Luck’s quick decision making in the pocket; he averaged a time to attempt of 2.44 seconds, significantly quicker than his season average of 2.63.

- Rookie Josh McNary was one of the few Colt defenders to grade positively, with two third-down stops on passes to Gio Bernard.

A defense that saw 14 of 19 players grade negatively, nine of them below -1.5.

Also

@GoColtsDammit: Da'Rick Rogers earned a (+0.4) grade by @PFF. Apparently he didn't do much to impress them. Smh. #Colts

@kyler11: Mike McGlynn with the highest @PFF grade on the entire team for the Colts yesterday. I may need to go get my eyes checked

@ryandaryk: Da'Rick Rogers played 41 (68%) of the Colts snaps yesterday. Heyward-Bey was in on 23, 42 for Brazill, 45 Hilton

106 yards and 2 TD's only nets you a +.4 grade?  I know it's not based on stats but I would have thought it would be better then that.  

1. He's a rookie 2. No he doesn't, we owe him the Titans game for his run blocking there. He's a third round LT forced into a rotation with two of the worst interior OL players in the league to play out of position.

1. You're point? I'm not hating on him, I just think a playoff twanna needs to the best players even if they're not a rookie with potential.

2. our line played better with him out. A lot better in pass protection against a great dline. Its probably the injury thst makes thornton play so bad, but we owe it to luck&the team to field the best oline.

Thornton may not be terrible, but his play had been for 1/2 the season

Based on what?

I understand he is a rookie but this fascination with a player who has been a central culprit in our horrendous interior line really confuses me. People spend countless hours complaining about the O-Line, and then plead cases for the worst players in it? Come on....

I thought Thornton played RG in college?

1. He's a rookie 2. No he doesn't, we owe him the Titans game for his run blocking there. He's a third round LT forced into a rotation with two of the worst interior OL players in the league to play out of position.

1. Why does that matter? Should rookies that don't perform start ahead of vets who perform better? No one is giving up on him, people just do not want to see him start as he is a liability right now.

2. He's a Guard.... everyone projected him to be a Guard...he only played LT for a period in his senior year because he was th best lineman they had... but he was always considered a weak-side Guard first and foremost.