Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rewatched the first half of bengals game and here are my thoughts.

Stephen

We left a lot of points on the field. Werner could had a pick six, hilton could have had td catch, missed field goal and a return muffed messed up what would have been great field position. Also you can't spot a team as good as bengals 21 points and expect to win though that one play was given to them. The problem is we allowed them to score again to open third quarter and that's why its better to defer.Also KS had a bone headed penalty in second half that helped sustain one drive.

We left a lot of points on the field. Werner could had a pick six, hilton could have had td catch, missed field goal and a return muffed messed up what would have been great field position. Also you can't spot a team as good as bengals 21 points and expect to win though that one play was given to them. The problem is we allowed them to score again to open third quarter and that's why its better to defer.Also KS had a bone headed penalty in second half that helped sustain one drive.

I don't get to watch the games, so I follow them on my phone with the NFL app.  You said we left a lot of points on the field.  Considering the problems we have been having, I guess I can find a positive in that.  If we left points on the field, that means they were there to be had.  So just some minor adjustments, or improvements, would this have gone differently?  My point being, are we actually improving, and just haven't realized it yet?  Of course I am just being hopeful, but when I read your post, that is the first thing that came to mind.  The defense was not getting it done yesterday.  The score clearly shows that.  I don't pretend to know why, it looked to be a terrible game.  Which is sort of becoming a trend, but the experience the players are getting right now could help us down the road.  I agree the team does not seem to be playing well, but I am certainly hopeful we can get some things corrected.  Let's go Colts!

When Toler comes back ( or if he comes back, dang groin injuries are the worst to try to come back from)  i expect that defense to be back to the way it was before our bye week. if you think about it, defense fell apart when he went out in the second half of the denver game and it has been a long lasting trend since. he maybe a average CB but his presence on the field has made that secondary good, and that secondary is much better anyway with out Vaughn on the field. 

I don't get to watch the games, so I follow them on my phone with the NFL app.  You said we left a lot of points on the field.  Considering the problems we have been having, I guess I can find a positive in that.  If we left points on the field, that means they were there to be had.  So just some minor adjustments, or improvements, would this have gone differently?  My point being, are we actually improving, and just haven't realized it yet?  Of course I am just being hopeful, but when I read your post, that is the first thing that came to mind.  The defense was not getting it done yesterday.  The score clearly shows that.  I don't pretend to know why, it looked to be a terrible game.  Which is sort of becoming a trend, but the experience the players are getting right now could help us down the road.  I agree the team does not seem to be playing well, but I am certainly hopeful we can get some things corrected.  Let's go Colts!

That Hilton play as the OP said could have been a TD was well defended and the ball was tipped. Luck was squeezing that ball in between a CB and a safety, that is not saying that Hilton was not open because he was and if the ball was over the top and not a line drive i think Hilton may have gotten it. the turning point was that play that Triplett overturned and called a touchdown. colts were acting as if the life was taken out of them on that play until about 10 min left in the 3rd when luck hit Rogers for a 69 yard TD pass. which then the colts were sparked and looked like a comeback was in the making. UNTIL Sheppard had a taunting flag on 3rd down after they stopped an end around for a loss which with the penalty gave cinci the first down and ended the hopes of a come back win. 

Basically Two crucial situations that caused the game to go the other way. some would say its just excuses (cinci fans) but giving the bengals that TD when it was clearly not a TD and they were stopped at the goal line take that TD away and the score would have been 7-0 at the half. being down one touchdown is better then two or three. 

seconda 3rd and short getting stopped by sheppard only for him to taunt the cinci player and draw a 15 yard penalty which resulted in TD later on the drive. 

Those were two TD's that should not have happened and took 2 possessions away from the colts. especially the penalty when the colts offense was getting hot. 

That second score in the second half, wasnt that due to Sheppards Taunting flag that kept the drive alive ??

If i'am correct the touchdown was due to Sheppard. He had stopped the player for a loss which would of been 3rd and long which was manageable instead it went for a 1st down because of that taunting call cincy ended up with a TD

A few notes on the game:

1.Of the Colts 12 posessions in that game they had 4 3 and outs......7 Punts...1 mised field goal

2.3 drives stalled out in Bengal territory including 1 missed field goal wide right

3.Bengals  got 4 QB hits on Luck...0 Sacks

4.Werner had 1 batted ball that he almost picked off in the 2nd Quarter at the 10:37 mark, He looked comfortable for the most part

5.Colts did not get any QB hits and I counted 3 pressures on Daltons 35 pass attempts

6.Da'Rick had 2 drops but he had a big day with 2 td's and 107 yards....A drop once in a while dont get to me if the player is producing at nice level

7.Kelvin Sheppard drue a taunting call after making a tackle on an end around for a 3 yard loss on a 2nd and 7 (that would have made it 3rd down and 10 if he would have kept his mouth shut)........He also appeared to get away with giving Eiffert a little extra shove in the 3rd Quarter at the 9:52 mark on a different play

8.Im sure you heard about the blown call about the Bengals TD that really wasn't supposed to be a TD

9.Colts offense  13 plays go for 10+ yards..........Bengals had 17 plays of 10+ yards......3 from penalty

10.Colts defense gave up 155 yards rushing....99 of those to Bernard......on just 12 carries

11.With the Colts down by 7 at the 4 minute mark of the 3rd Quarter Landry drue a 7 yard unnecessary roughing roughness penalty  at the Colts 13 yard line to put the Bengals at the 6 yard line....2 plays later the Bengals scored a TD to go up by 14

12.I also did not think we did to bad a job on A.J Green(notice I said to bad....not great....I expected a 100 yard day from him easy).....6 catches for 72 yards and 1 TD...Longest catch came in the on a 22 yarder but that only got them to there 46...They scoed on a rushingTD on the drive though.It came on a slant taking advantage of Freeman

If i'am correct the touchdown was due to Sheppard. He had stopped the player for a loss which would of been 3rd and long which was manageable instead it went for a 1st down because of that taunting call cincy ended up with a TD

i thought it was already 3rd and short when they ran that end around and sheppard picked up penalty??

A few notes on the game:

6.Da'Rick had 2 drops but he had a big day with 2 td's and 107 yards....A drop once in a while dont get to me if the player is producing at nice level

i don't remember the two drops. was one the pass that was behind him? that's a really hard catch.

i don't remember the two drops. was one the pass that was behind him? that's a really hard catch.

He had both his hands on it, 7:37 4th Quarter......My mistake on the 2nd drop though, Wasn't a 2nd one, It was just a good play by Jones on the first pass of the season to Rogers

He had both his hands on it, 7:37 4th Quarter......My mistake on the 2nd drop though, Wasn't a 2nd one, It was just a good play by Jones on the first pass of the season to Rogers

this is why drop stats are not really something that i would place a lot of value in, they bare completely subjective. catching a ball that is behind you on a quick slant is very tough. to me, drops are easy catches that any wr should make. if you dive for a ball and get two hands on it, would you consider this a drop also?

this is why drop stats are not really something that i would place a lot of value in, they bare completely subjective. catching a ball that is behind you on a quick slant is very tough. to me, drops are easy catches that any wr should make. if you dive for a ball and get two hands on it, would you consider this a drop also?

I agree. That "drop" was probably more about Luck. Though it's possible Rogers didn't have the right depth on his route.

Depends, If he got both hands under the ball then probably

Andrew Lovers count ANYTHING that Andrew throws that touches a receiver a drop if not caught. Rogers made a miracle effort to make that junk look catchable. Reggie DROPPED those too. I`d have to look back but i recall the other "Drop" a late arriving ball that the defender stuck his hand up under and defelected it easily out.

Rogers showed me some Reggie/Michael Irvin yesterday. Andrew Requires Greatness to catch much of his slop though much isn`t even close. He has a LONG way to go finding that Stanford accuracy we were Supposedly getting.

Rogers made a miracle effort to make that junk look catchable. Reggie DROPPED those too. I`d have to look back but i recall the other "Drop" a late arriving ball that the defender stuck his hand up under and defelected it easily out.

Rogers showed me some Reggie/Michael Irvin yesterday.

i watched the game on line so the quality isn't very good and i can't replay it, but i think a defender may have gotten a hand on the ball thrown behind him also.

he did say the other one wasn't a drop.

i really like his physical tools. i really hope he keeps his head straight.

Andrew Lovers count ANYTHING that Andrew throws that touches a receiver a drop if not caught. Rogers made a miracle effort to make that junk look catchable. Reggie DROPPED those too. I`d have to look back but i recall the other "Drop" a late arriving ball that the defender stuck his hand up under and defelected it easily out.

Rogers showed me some Reggie/Michael Irvin yesterday. Andrew Requires Greatness to catch much of his slop though much isn`t even close. He has a LONG way to go finding that Stanford accuracy we were Supposedly getting.

If the DB had not made a great play and gotten a finger tip on the deep pass in the endzone to TY, Andrew would have had 5 TD passes instead of 4...not good enough for ya?

If the DB had not made a great play and gotten a finger tip on the deep pass in the endzone to TY, Andrew would have had 5 TD passes instead of 4...not good enough for ya?

If if if. Some questionable tackling allowing for long runs after the catch or just two, If.

No,

I loved his many escapes, runs & hail mary`s that worked out last season against all those bad teams. But it WAS a lot of ugly FB being behind in the 4th Q against those bad teams.

Loved the surprise wins this year against a depleted, beaten down SF, Seattle without their Tackles tho they outplayed us.

Denver my 3rd favorite Colts "Shocking Surprise" win ever. And against those backup QB`s. Nice!

We have been slaughtered 3 times this season, 4 if you count SD, and I have watched plenty of really ugly Andrew FB this season.

He needs New help we know, looks like some showed up Sunday. Yaaaaaa!

We deperately need the Greatest Prospect in 25 years to help our D by controlling the ball much better. Game on!