Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive plays

sfergson727

I think Seattle is currently put together a bit better than the Colts, at least at the O-line for sure.  Last year, it was all about RGIII vs Luck.  Now it's Wilson vs. Luck?  Who will it be vs. Luck next year?  I'll stay with the constant.  I think Luck will continue to develop and David Carr, or Alex Smith?  Really?  No where near the same caliber in my opinion.

I will too, as long as we get someone in that develops him instead of stunts him.  Here's some stats and an article for ya-

Carr1_zps1c467dde.png

Smith1_zpsf9dd7bc7.png

Luck1_zpsf133c726.png

Easy to tell Carr from Smith from Luck, yes?  :\

Now do I need to put Brees', Manning's or Brady's stats up here?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mike-sando/post?id=4223

Hmmm.....  There are many out there that are beginning to question the direction we're letting Luck go.  I'm glad we got him, but disappointed in his mentoring/growth plan.

Why would we want to put the ball in our best players hand when we can continue to pretend we are this power running team?  :rollseyes:

You do realize that since Wayne was lost for the season the Colts are putting the ball in Luck's hands more than power running, right?

In the last 5 games the Colts have ran the ball 110 times and have thrown the ball 199 times that is a 35%/65% ratio.  I know they were so far behind they had to throw.  If that was the complete reason then the 1st half running would be different but in the 1st half they have 45 runs and 93 runs  that is a 69% of the plays they are throwing.

I wish the Colts would go back to the power running game they had in the first 7 weeks, that was quite the offense then.

I do have those concerns to be sure.

I don't worry about that. Luck is what he is, and he's going to be good. I do think we could put him in better situations, but I'm not worried about him being David Carr or Alex Smith. Not at all.

I also don't care about how well Russell Wilson is doing. I'm happy for him, and good on Seattle for picking him and making it work. But that's not my concern. It would be awesome if we'd emulate some of the stuff that they're doing, but I don't care if he's considered as the best of the bunch right now. Doesn't matter. I wouldn't change our draft choice, even with the benefit of hindsight. 

You do realize that since Wayne was lost for the season the Colts are putting the ball in Luck's hands more than power running, right?

In the last 5 games the Colts have ran the ball 110 times and have thrown the ball 199 times that is a 35%/65% ratio.  I know they were so far behind they had to throw.  If that was the complete reason then the 1st half running would be different but in the 1st half they have 45 runs and 93 runs  that is a 69% of the plays they are throwing.

I wish the Colts would go back to the power running game they had in the first 7 weeks, that was quite the offense then.

I disagree. The stats are skewed. I know you mentioned it, but you're not acknowledging how quickly we got behind in those games, and how few plays we ran before the score was lopsided. We'd have a couple of drives of three or four plays, then we'd be behind 17-0 in the second quarter and start throwing.

I don't think we were as run heavy as people are making it out to be, but I think the clear reason we've been so lopsided is because of being behind.

I disagree. The stats are skewed. I know you mentioned it, but you're not acknowledging how quickly we got behind in those games, and how few plays we ran before the score was lopsided. We'd have a couple of drives of three or four plays, then we'd be behind 17-0 in the second quarter and start throwing.

I don't think we were as run heavy as people are making it out to be, but I think the clear reason we've been so lopsided is because of being behind.

I was going to count the run/pass plays with the game within 14 in the 1st half but that is going to take more time than I have at work.  I will report back when I have a chance to do it because in Houston game it was about 50/50 but when I started the Rams game the numbers were still in that 40/60 to 30/70 range.

I was going to count the run/pass plays with the game within 14 in the 1st half but that is going to take more time than I have at work.  I will report back when I have a chance to do it because in Houston game it was about 50/50 but when I started the Rams game the numbers were still in that 40/60 to 30/70 range.

Sounds good.

I don't worry about that. Luck is what he is, and he's going to be good. I do think we could put him in better situations, but I'm not worried about him being David Carr or Alex Smith. Not at all.

I also don't care about how well Russell Wilson is doing. I'm happy for him, and good on Seattle for picking him and making it work. But that's not my concern. It would be awesome if we'd emulate some of the stuff that they're doing, but I don't care if he's considered as the best of the bunch right now. Doesn't matter. I wouldn't change our draft choice, even with the benefit of hindsight. 

It's true. Us Colts fans only care that our HC and OC put Andrew Luck in the best scenario possible to use all of his potential. In the interim, the rest of the football world and media will bring these things up.  We cannot avoid that until the scheme and execution live up to the expectations that were set just before the draft.  So get ready for it everyone. The external noise level will slowly get louder unless Pep comes up with the solution to the O issue that came about since Reggie Wayne's injury.

I was watching the Seattle game last night, and was struck by the Seattle offenses ability to move Wilson around, and complete some amazing passes.  We USED to do that.  Now we dink and dunk, and putter around, more often starting at 1st and 10, 2nd and 9 and then 3 and 8 or worse (penalties, sacks) and then punt.

We have no O-line, or receivers that can get open, and we have a OC who has as much skill and imagination as a potato.

Unfortunately, in Seattle and Indy, we have two second year quarterbacks who are moving in opposite directions.  I hope...no.....THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!

We are stuck with Pep for now...but he is probably toast after the season ends.

I did observe, on a whole host of occasions, the opposing defenses moving, with speed and purpose, to the correct locations, just prior to the snap of the ball.  Once I saw it clearly on slow-motion replays, I began to spot it at speed. While it's subtle, it's quite noticeable when you're watching for it. My take from it is; the alignment, personnel, formation, whatever, lack enough creative variance to create any hesitation by defenders. In fact, they're so confident in the pre-read, that they're actually moving before the snap and beating the Colts to the spots. NFL coaches (like Jeff Fisher) are feasting on this predictability. This IS a Pep Hamilton issue. Many, if not all of the play and formation dynamics, need serious internal review.... IMHO

I was watching the Seattle game last night, and was struck by the Seattle offenses ability to move Wilson around, and complete some amazing passes.  We USED to do that.  Now we dink and dunk, and putter around, more often starting at 1st and 10, 2nd and 9 and then 3 and 8 or worse (penalties, sacks) and then punt.

We have no O-line, or receivers that can get open, and we have a OC who has as much skill and imagination as a potato.

Unfortunately, in Seattle and Indy, we have two second year quarterbacks who are moving in opposite directions.  I hope...no.....THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!!!

Agreed.  Reggie used to take double coverage, now they are doubling TY and other receivers can't get open on single coverage.  Reggie used to get a lot of attention letting other receivers to get open, but without him it seems like the team is getting worst.

I love how everyone is quick to point fingers at whats wrong without taking the time to realize that some of our problems wouldn't be fixed with a new OC.  Our problem lies between the tackles.  You have to at least have an avg. offensive line to have a fighting chance.  We don't and there in lies the problem.  Getting a new OC, HC isn't going to solve the problem. 

Our  problems as a team are not the fault of any one single person but the everyone top to bottom

Pagano-For letting subpar talent such as David Reed repeatedly bring the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs only to get stuck inside the 20 time after time, Pagano for sticking with players far to long who were clearly stinking up the joint on a consistent basis, Pagano for not reigning in some of Manuskys ridiculous defensive play calls

Pep-For not being quite as creative with his play calls as well as some bad route concepts especially on 3rd down as well as down around our opponents 20 yard line and in

Manusky-For lacking creativity in his blitz packages, not discguising it very often, inexplicably asking our Linebackers to cover wr's (Thats almost as frustrating to me as it was to see Reed bringing the ball out of the end zone from 9 yards deep on a consistent basis on offense)

Grigson for not disposing of some of the players on the team that the  NFL game is clearly to big for them......Vaughn(yes no question he had a good game statistically with 2 picks but even bad cover Corners wind up with the ball in there hands once in while......Usually because of bad throws by the QB....those ints were no exception vs the Titans......Not discrediting him for having the presence of mind to catch the balls and the good hands to do that, Those were two nice plays but lets look at them with some perspective  instead of just 2 ints) ...Mcglynn....well his play speaks for itself. Grigson for overpaying for average talent (although much of that has some sort of verbage in there contract where it dont hurt us). Grigson for SEEMINGLY not going after some much needed better talent at certain positions (Vasquez). I say that because he might have and it was just not successful (although I dont remember any reports of him going after Vasquez)

Through all of this we are 8-4...I will take that with the expectation that upgrades will be made accordingly to the team come the offseason

The colts should open the game with the same formation bunch they used on last series in a hurry up. They were using a extra tackle 1 TE, 2 WR and a fullback. IMO this when the ol was at its best and kept the titans defense spread out.

No wonder we ran the ball so well on that last drive, having 12 on the field