Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Explanation on Why Rogers and Rainey didn't Play

Bluefire4

I know, I was saying in order for Rogers to not be active, we would have to get another wide receiver to jump in front of him. I don't think that is going to happen.

This puzzles me as well. Why wouldn't they bring up Whalen again if they played him ahead of Rogers before? I think they are finally gonna give him a chance, he must have passed Whalen and obviously reed

Guest TeamLoloJones

Someone needs to draw one up for Reed with one play called "take a knee," or he is going to continue hurting us. 

That will be difficult, since he's no longer with the team.

Finally. Lol. Da'Rick has come back……Not..I love the kid. He has more talent in his picky finger than DHB and Reed have in both hands lol :highfive2:  :applause: . His upside is crazy and people keep bashing him why? We don't have anything to go off of besides when he made our CB look foolish with his only catch for a TD in the preseason. 

His past is his past, we act like we've never made mistakes in life. He's got the perfect mentor in RW and he's on the right team at the right time. Colts are a small town team with a big family feel. Hopefully he's fully understands that chances like this don't come often. He will be big in the Tennessee game and might be the go to with his big play ability and mismatch. With that said lets just hope he gets to dress lol.

Finally. Lol. Da'Rick has come back……Not..I love the kid. He has more talent in his picky finger than DHB and Reed have in both hands lol :highfive2::applause: . His upside is crazy and people keep bashing him why? We don't have anything to go off of besides when he made our CB look foolish with his only catch for a TD in the preseason.

His past is his past, we act like we've never made mistakes in life. He's got the perfect mentor in RW and he's on the right team at the right time. Colts are a small town team with a big family feel. Hopefully he's fully understands that chances like this don't come often. He will be big in the Tennessee game and might be the go to with his big play ability and mismatch. With that said lets just hope he gets to dress lol.

Ricky Williams is his mentor nooooooooo!!!.. kidding lol Reggie is not only mentoring him he's coaching him, he should be fine

Rogers has GOT to know at the very least 4 to 5 plays. PUT HIM IN THE GAME. Like everyone said, Richardson was back there playing 3 days on the team. There's no way this guy shouldn't have seen the field already. 

Isn't a receiver who can catch but doesn't know entire playbook worth more than a receiver who knows the entire playbook but can't catch??

Rogers has GOT to know at the very least 4 to 5 plays. PUT HIM IN THE GAME. Like everyone said, Richardson was back there playing 3 days on the team. There's no way this guy shouldn't have seen the field already. 

Isn't a receiver who can catch but doesn't know entire playbook worth more than a receiver who knows the entire playbook but can't catch??

I am no NFL coach but IMO its a no brainer catch the ball move the chains advance down the field. Instead we seem to drop the ball and go 3 and out and punt away with no points. If he converts a 3rd down or 2 then he will have done better than a lot of the WRs have done on the team this year.

Honestly the kick return play is pretty much the same for everyone isn't it?

Plus doesn't Rodgers get a playbook as a member of the practice squad.  You would think he knows the play.  

It's about time we called his number though.  We really don't have a ton to lose.

This puzzles me as well. Why wouldn't they bring up Whalen again if they played him ahead of Rogers before? I think they are finally gonna give him a chance, he must have passed Whalen and obviously reed

I have to say that the fact that they cut Reed and Whalen but left Da'Rick on the roster is good news.  

With only 4 WR's on the roster now, one would think that they have to dress Da'Rick.

I'm just ready to see this guy in action. To see if he is a bust or going to be decent. I dont know much about the guy but keep seeing so much on here about him.

He is a player we picked up for the practice squad after he was cut from the Bills.  He's spent most of the year on the practice squad.

The 411 on him is that he's got all the physical tools to be a star receiver but has been immature both on and off the field.  He dominated at the combine and has prototypical size.  Apparently his combine numbers and size are pretty close to Julio Jones.  However his history of being immature led to no one drafting him, the Bills brought him into training camp but cut him before the Colts picked him up. 

He can't really be a bust because nothing was really spent on him.  No draft picks and his salary is league min with no guaranteed money.

The great hope is that our team, especially Reggie will help him grow up and become the star that his athletic abilities gifts would allow him to be.

In college he was a productive receiver.  He led the SEC in receiving yards at Tennessee before getting kicked off the team because of doing something dumb.  (I think failed drug tests)

He played a couple years at Tennessee Tech (FBS) where he was productive as well.  

I've personally been on the negative side because he's spent so much time on the practice squad.  (Where he can be signed by any team to their active roster.)  

He hasn't seen the field yet, but at this point we're having so much problems with receivers that it really can't hurt to give the guy a shot.  It's not like putting him on the field is gonna keep any real talent off the field.  There is some hope though because Griff Whalen was elevated first after Reggie's injury, but Da'Rick was elevated to active roster and has stayed there and they sent Grif back to the practice squad.  So clearly they think Da'Rick is a better option then Griff.  

I mean our choices in the past and at this point after Wayne's injury.

TY Hilton - Clearly the best receiver left but limited due to small size.  On top of that he's a good player but not really a star player and since he's the only reliable receiver if you shut down TY by double teaming him or putting a good shutdown corner on him you shut down the Colt's passing game.  He's not good enough to consistently beat the double team, very very few receivers are.  And that's exactly what the Cardinals did.  Patrick Peterson a top shutdown corner blanketed TY and he didn't get open much.  Made a few good plays but for the most part Peterson had him.  

DHB - Athletically gifted but can't catch.  My mom could probably catch the football better.  Although to his credit I didn't notice any horrible drops in the game against the Cardinals.  Which is a first since DHB has a tradition of dropping perfect passes that hit him right in the hands, usually when we need him to make a catch for a first down.

LaVon Brazil - Seems to be a 1 trick pony.  Fast and that's about it.  It's confusing as to why he wasn't given the kick/punt return duties over David Reed though. Decent hands though, which is more then DHB can say.

Griff Whalen - Catches the ball when he's suppose to but is pretty limited in athletic ability.   

David Reed - Cut earlier this week, un-athletic and stupid.  Was on Kick/Punt returns but instead of taking the knee would bring the ball out and not even make it to the 20 half the time.  His cutting was a long time coming and well deserved.  Never was used much outside of return duties.

Running the competitions plays. He doesn't have reps that involve all the checks and reads that determine routes, timing with Luck, etc. First round picks at WR don't typically light it up; let alone, an undrafted FA.

Tavon Austin says wut?

Rogers has high round talent, but excessive baggage to risk a draft pick on.  He could be ready to light it up by playoffs if all goes well.  High talent, undrafted guys can come in with a final chance and make good.  Vontaze Burfict is proving that to me this year.  I hope Rogers joins him. 

Tavon Austin says wut?

Rogers has high round talent, but excessive baggage to risk a draft pick on.  He could be ready to light it up by playoffs if all goes well.  High talent, undrafted guys can come in with a final chance and make good.  Vontaze Burfict is proving that to me this year.  I hope Rogers joins him. 

I would hardly call 35 receptions for 384 yards (4tds receiving and 6 total) and 3.3 catches per game lighting it up. He is playing well as of late and is a play maker. Like all rookie WR, he is inconsistent. Keenan Allen would have been a better example.

I'm not saying he won't be good; because I believe he will. I am saying that people should temper their expectations because he won't be a savior this year.

Point is, he started poor, as most all rooks do.  Then turned a corner and making up ground.  DeAndre Hopkins would be so much better he had a QB other than Schaub or TJ Yates.  I think if Rogers applies himself (playbook and solid sessions in practice) he could be ready to light it up by playoffs.  Noy vet elite status light it up, light it up playmaker rookie style.

You are who you surround yourself with. Rogers was a too tier wr coming out if high school. He dominated in high school and even at tenn with sheer physical talent. I think growing up and coming from where he did he was holding into the dumb stuff and hanging around bad influences versus good positive roll models. It got him in trouble but he continued that train of thought all the way to buffalo. Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom so you can realize what a dip you've been. It sucks but I've been there done that. Even when I got out if trouble I still hung around some *s and almost got in trouble again. I'm sure there are other organizations out there that he would have thrived but him coming here was very good. We are full of good, positive guys from top to bottom. The past only helps you to become a stronger person in the future.