Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Explanation on Why Rogers and Rainey didn't Play

Bluefire4

On why weren’t Chris Rainey and Da’Rick Rogers active on Sunday:

“Two young, talented players, as we all know. There’s been a lot of talk about these two young players and excited about having them up, having them on the roster. Having Chris here just one week and Da’Rick being up on the active roster two weeks, there’s an acclimation period. These guys are working hard. They’re doing everything they can. As soon as they are more familiar with the playbook and we can start to implement them into our plan offensively, we are going to try and get them out there as soon as we can.”

Guest TeamLoloJones

“Two young, talented players, as we all know. There’s been a lot of talk about these two young players and excited about having them up, having them on the roster. Having Chris here just one week and Da’Rick being up on the active roster two weeks, there’s an acclimation period. These guys are working hard. They’re doing everything they can. As soon as they are more familiar with the playbook and we can start to implement them into our plan offensively, we are going to try and get them out there as soon as we can.”

I understand Rainey not playing, even if he's only used for KR, but Rogers has been here long enough to know the playbook...you would think.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Do you need to know the playbook to return a kick?

"You don't even need to know how to return a kick."

-David Reed

It's a poppycock double standard unless I missed something and Trent studied as a Rocket Scientist at Alabama cause he played on 3 days practice the first week he was acquired.

I understand Rainey not playing, even if he's only used for KR, but Rogers has been here long enough to know the playbook...you would think.

Totally! Because after memorizing plays from a game book, you should easily be able to execute them properly. Especially without previous NFL experience!

Guest TeamLoloJones

Totally! Because after memorizing plays from a game book, you should easily be able to execute them properly. Especially without previous NFL experience!

Your right.  He should get some NFL experience before we throw him out there...wait, what?

@Schultz1260: Wayne on Da'Rick Rogers: "He's just waiting on his number to be called. He won't stop talking about it, so I know he's excited."

@Schultz1260: More Wayne on WRs: "They let me control some of the WR meetings. We'll watch film. I'll tell them to ask whatever. I'm a teacher for them."

Guest TeamLoloJones

@Schultz1260: Wayne on Da'Rick Rogers: "He's just waiting on his number to be called. He won't stop talking about it, so I know he's excited."

@Schultz1260: More Wayne on WRs: "They let me control some of the WR meetings. We'll watch film. I'll tell them to ask whatever. I'm a teacher for them."

Da'Rick is "A Football Life" in the making... I'm getting a weird feeling about about this kid.  Weird good.

He's been on he practice squad for months.

Running the competitions plays. He doesn't have reps that involve all the checks and reads that determine routes, timing with Luck, etc. First round picks at WR don't typically light it up; let alone, an undrafted FA.

Honestly, rogers only really needs a couple of designed plays, just to get him in open space. The deep route (jump ball), quick screen and the crossing route. Let him do the rest once the ball is in his hands.

He still has to be able to read the defense, adjust to shifting coverage, understand if a check off or audible is called due to the coverage shown by the defense, find open space, know the blocking assignment if they check to a run. If you just toss him in for a play designed for him and it is covered up, then what.....you are taking up an active roster spot for a player that can run 3 plays? The reality of the situation is that they are thin at receiver, limited on the number of game day active roster, and they needed players active at other positions.........they needed a WR that could run most of the playbook instead of a few designed plays should an injury occur. He has to be really behind if Reed was lining up at WR.

Rogers has to know the playbook by now, they just don't wanna bench DHB. Coach is too loyal to some of these players including Angerer, Mcglynn, and Satele. None of those guys should be starting. Still amazed that our best slot WR is on the practice squad.

He isn't on the practice squad.....he is on the active roster.

He's still a better slot wr then anyone on the roster. He's not the fastest but he's a smart player in a good route runner and always finds way to get open on 3rd downs.

TY is the best slot receiver on the roster.....he is just being forced to play outside.

Guest TeamLoloJones

TY is the best slot receiver on the roster.....he is just being forced to play outside.

When Reggie was healthy he played more in the slot than T.Y.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Still would be surprised if Rogers is active Sunday

If we don't add another receiver he has to be active.  We can't go into a game with 3 active WRs.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We would have to cut someone to do that. I believe we will probably hold at 4 for now, which means Rogers is dressed by default.

I know, I was saying in order for Rogers to not be active, we would have to get another wide receiver to jump in front of him.  I don't think that is going to happen.  

T.Y is not being forced he's an outside WR. Very similar to Desean Jackson both are there to take the top off the defense.

DHB was supposed to take the top off the defense (pfffttt fart noise). TY was supposed to be the intermediate route in the route tree.