Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning in Playoff Form Last Night

ViriLudant

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-new-england-patriots-tom-brady/

Peyton Manning was in playoff form against the Patriots — and that’s not a good thing

When push came to shove, Manning fell over. Again.

By Mike Foss – November 25, 2013 at 8:05am EST

Today’s big winner: Tom Brady

He did it again. Down 24-0 at halftime, Tom Terrific brought the Patriots back from life support and with the help of a muffed punt, New England stunned the Denver Broncos 34-31. Brady was sublime. 344 yards, three touchdowns, and zero interceptions.

Peyton Manning was terrible. I take that back.

Peyton Manning encapsulated Peyton Manning’s entire career Sunday night. The Broncos dropped 24 unanswered points in the first half. Bloated, stupendous, jaw-dropping numbers. Manning had support from the run game Sunday as well. Knowshon Moreno had 224 yards and a touchdown. Everything seemed perfect.

Then came the second half. When it mattered, Manning folded. 150 yards, two touchdowns, one interception.

He was outplayed by Brady. Plain and simple.

Where does this leave the Broncos? Pretty much in the same place they were before Sunday. Denver takes on Kansas City for the second time in three weeks this Sunday. On a two-game losing streak, the Chiefs could potentially be facing the Broncos without both of their starting outside linebackers. There’s no question that Denver is still in position to not only beat back Kansas City but also take the top seed in the AFC heading into the playoffs.

The questions begin when the pressure starts. When the games matter. Manning’s struggles in the playoffs have been well documented. He has a Super Bowl ring, yes. He’s also been to the playoffs 12 times and is 9-11 lifetime in the postseason. The question has always been whether Manning can step up when it matters.

He did little to dissuade those concerns on Sunday.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I wonder where this writer was last week in a game that had very big implications for the AFC West (which was arguably a more important game to the Broncos than this week's was). And what if the Broncos sweep the Chiefs next week?

Speaking of 24-0 halftime deficits, I wonder what he said about Peyton when the Broncos overcame a 24-0 halftime deficit against the Chargers.

And lastly, "Tom Terrific." (a name that makes non-Patriots fans barf) Yeah, I'm confident ESPN has a job offer coming right up to this guy.

Manning aside, they ran the ball extremely well against the Pats. Can't take that away from them, but in classic Manning style, they stopped running and went back to the pass.

As much as I am known for being a "Manning hater" on this board, I don't think Manning deserves sole blame for this loss.

Yes he played rough, yes they ran the ball very well,but that defense is down right god awful. You should be able to win when you have a 24-0 lead and not blow it like that.

Plus the coaching. I'm sorry but Jack Del Rio don't know what he's doing, and neither does John Fox. Look at that defense!

I don't think it comes down to who is your quarterback in the playoffs anymore. Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick were in the Super Bowl last year, and neither one of them are considered "elite" but both of them had very strong running games in the playoffs, and a defense that could actually do something.

It comes down to the run game, and your defense, and Denver had a really strong run going for them last night before abandoning it on drives when it was working. Outside of this game, I didn't think Denver could run it at all. Clearly they ran it very well on the Pats (when they wanted to) but it wasn't enough.

As for defense, who else blows a 24-0 lead and lets the Patriots come all the way back and win it?

Take the 3 turnovers away to start with and Denver only scores 14 points. They ran the ball pretty well but outside of that, I didn't see where they did anything last night to look dangerous.

This is the same story from last year. Neither one of these teams are going to the Super Bowl. I'd give New England a better chance than Denver though.

Denver specifically reminds me of that 2011 Packers team everyone toted around as champions before the playoffs started. They had a record breaking offense but a defense that couldn't stop a nose bleed. We all saw what happened to them. We all saw what happened to Denver last year.

Neither one of them have won a Super Bowl since Dubya was the president, that is what it really all boils down to. Neither one of them have a super defense either. Denver has one of the worst defenses in the league, New England has one that is in disguise and clearly has been god awful the last few years.

Eli and the Giants would like to have a word with that name "Tom Terrific".

NE fans don't particularly care for the name either but TB did his part against the G-men the D didn't. The Giants were lucky to boot.

But give the devil his due...never leave the game up to one play.

My thoughts on Manning. He seemed gun shy to me. The Pats D was giving him the run which he took but I don't believe he had a pass in the air more than 15 yards. Now, I know it was cold and all but he did not seem to want to play aggressive. Perhaps he was duped into taking the run which played into the Pats hand. Not sure. But his trio only had NINE catches. Let me say that again, NINE. And that was not necessarily because the Pats secondary was so great but because of the coverage they played and Manning opting to run, run.

But it is hard to ignore that in another big game, playoff type atmosphere in the cold, Manning was not the same player he had been all season. And this season he has been superb with the best offense of his entire career.

After the game tying TD, which by the way was thrown into the wind, how Dare Peyton Not recover the Punt and thereby set up a game winning FG for the Pats.

Hi Gramz

Was thinking about you today. Hope you are doing ok today. Tough game for your guy but much blame to go around. One game. Can't wait for the rematch hopefully in January. These two guys just play the best games with the most on the line.

LOL... my favorite part: "Then came the second half. When it mattered, Manning folded. 150 yards, two touchdowns, one interception."

Tough to see how 150 yds. 2 TDs and a pick is "folding" I do agree that pretty boy outplayed Manning last night, though... Pats are looking like SB contenders as always... and its because of Brady... as always

I love p-money and he's a great guy and i appreciate everything he ever done for us...truly. But this is just a simple truth at this point in time. For some UNKNOWN reason, he falls flat on his face in cold weathered games. As HORRIBLE as our INDY COLTS have played, i can still see us getting to the AFC championship game agains't NE. Heck, maybe we can even beat them too, if trent ever decides to show up.

I love p-money and he's a great guy and i appreciate everything he ever done for us...truly. But this is just a simple truth at this point in time. For some UNKNOWN reason, he falls flat on his face in cold weathered games. As HORRIBLE as our INDY COLTS have played, i can still see us getting to the AFC championship game agains't NE. Heck, maybe we can even beat them too, if trent ever decides to show up.

i dont know about before, but i can say that in my opinion..he cant throw vs the wind right now

i dont know about before, but i can say that in my opinion..he cant throw vs the wind right now

I have a crazy feeling it will be indy and ne in the AFC championship game. And i think T-RICH finally wakes up from his slumber with a HUGE GAME. I can just sense it. Yes, there's no stats to support it, but i think it makes for a great story!

I have a crazy feeling it will be indy and ne in the AFC championship game. And i think T-RICH finally wakes up from his slumber with a HUGE GAME. I can just sense it. Yes, there's no stats to support it, but i think it makes for a great story!

I woudlnt oppose to it. but right now i ahve no faith in the team going to the afc championship.

I woudlnt oppose to it. but right now i ahve no faith in the team going to the afc championship.

Same here, we have 2 weapons.  TY Hilton and Coby Fleener and one of those weapons almost got hurt last night.

Our run game doesn't work very well and our pass game doesn't work because all you have to do is shut down TY and we arn't going anywhere.

And TY is a decent weapon too, but he's not a great weapon, it's not like he's Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.  He's a good deep threat but he is just never going to be the top receiver on this team.  

Except that he had multiple possessions in OT, not just one. Did you watch the game?

Well, of course I watched the game, the Entire Game. What the Hell kind of a question is that?

I also saw that NEITHER QB scored in the OT, and that the game was on the Verge of being a Tie, had it NOT been for the debacle there at the end by the Punt return team. Did you happen to see that..?? Fair question backatcha.

Except that he had multiple possessions in OT, not just one. Did you watch the game?

And so did Brady, but here is the difference. Without a ST gaffe the game had two outcomes 1) the Broncos win or 2) it was going to be a tie. There was less than 3 minutes left and the Patriots were not going to see the ball again. So if you want to say Peyton failed then so did Brady because he didn't win that game in OT, and wasn't getting another chance to. It was a great game that unfortunately came down to an anticlimactic finish.

My thoughts on Manning. He seemed gun shy to me. The Pats D was giving him the run which he took but I don't believe he had a pass in the air more than 15 yards. Now, I know it was cold and all but he did not seem to want to play aggressive. Perhaps he was duped into taking the run which played into the Pats hand. Not sure. But his trio only had NINE catches. Let me say that again, NINE. And that was not necessarily because the Pats secondary was so great but because of the coverage they played and Manning opting to run, run.

But it is hard to ignore that in another big game, playoff type atmosphere in the cold, Manning was not the same player he had been all season. And this season he has been superb with the best offense of his entire career.

He was scared to throw the ball, just like he was last year late in that playoff game. Let's face it, he has a Chad Pennington arm when it's warm....when it drops below 25 degrees or so he has a Bernie Kosar (post elbow injury) arm. The Broncos will have to dodge some bullets weather wise if they wanna do much in the playoffs.

Manning aside, they ran the ball extremely well against the Pats. Can't take that away from them, but in classic Manning style, they stopped running and went back to the pass.

As much as I am known for being a "Manning hater" on this board, I don't think Manning deserves sole blame for this loss.

Yes he played rough, yes they ran the ball very well,but that defense is down right god awful. You should be able to win when you have a 24-0 lead and not blow it like that.

Plus the coaching. I'm sorry but Jack Del Rio don't know what he's doing, and neither does John Fox. Look at that defense!

I don't think it comes down to who is your quarterback in the playoffs anymore. Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick were in the Super Bowl last year, and neither one of them are considered "elite" but both of them had very strong running games in the playoffs, and a defense that could actually do something.

It comes down to the run game, and your defense, and Denver had a really strong run going for them last night before abandoning it on drives when it was working. Outside of this game, I didn't think Denver could run it at all. Clearly they ran it very well on the Pats (when they wanted to) but it wasn't enough.

As for defense, who else blows a 24-0 lead and lets the Patriots come all the way back and win it?

Take the 3 turnovers away to start with and Denver only scores 14 points. They ran the ball pretty well but outside of that, I didn't see where they did anything last night to look dangerous.

This is the same story from last year. Neither one of these teams are going to the Super Bowl. I'd give New England a better chance than Denver though.

Denver specifically reminds me of that 2011 Packers team everyone toted around as champions before the playoffs started. They had a record breaking offense but a defense that couldn't stop a nose bleed. We all saw what happened to them. We all saw what happened to Denver last year.

Neither one of them have won a Super Bowl since Dubya was the president, that is what it really all boils down to. Neither one of them have a super defense either. Denver has one of the worst defenses in the league, New England has one that is in disguise and clearly has been god awful the last few years.

Moreno couldn't keep going is in boot onn crutches, once u run repeatedly and just keep running , its hard to just stick in aa pass and develop a passing  rhytm & next man upo then fumbles too ( know it sounds like 1 but not trying to make an excuse )

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_24594432/broncos-briefs-knowshon-moreno-suffers-ankle-injury-loss

DRC big loss too and whats with coaching really,,man to man then zone etc etc, no halftime adjustments, playing to lose not to win , u knew BB would alter game plan'

Credit to Pats However

He was scared to throw the ball, just like he was last year late in that playoff game. Let's face it, he has a Chad Pennington arm when it's warm....when it drops below 25 degrees or so he has a Bernie Kosar (post elbow injury) arm. The Broncos will have to dodge some bullets weather wise if they wanna do much in the playoffs.

Their schedule is not favorable in terms of weather as they have KC next at KC and then two more home games in Denver and then the playoffs are as it stands now all cold weather teams save for the Colts. And of course the SB is in NY.

DT and Eric Decker and Welker, how many balls do they drop yesterday. I remember one of the passed went right through DT's hands.

If Welker caught that pass in OT, Denver hits a FG and its over.

Very similar to what Welker did in the superbowl for NE.

Good points. It what we have been saying all year. High flying air attacks get grounded late in the season when the weather turns nasty. As Pats fans, we have watched it played out against us these last few years which is why I am happy the Pats are much more balanced this year and can run the ball as well as pass.

This. I respect Manning and have no interest in piling on this morning or kicking a guy when he's down. But this is dead on. 

I've watched a few Denver games this year and last, not all of 'em. Despite what everyone tells me, what I've seen (honest opinion) is that his arm is almost completely gone. Yes he had that good drive last night to tie the game, and threw some GREAT passes there. But for him, at this point, it's all about accuracy. He's as good as they come when you're talking about ball placement, but the guy I saw throwing passes last night for the Denver Broncos is not the Peyton Manning I started off disliking, grew to respect, and then eventually fear a little because I knew he could derail the Patriots! 

Even with the wind, his passes are fluttering and hanging in the air too long, and he cannot drive the ball consistently. He got very lucky on the Talib INT that got called back... he threw it off his back foot, into the wind, and that ball would have fallen 10 yards short of Thomas. (I didn't like that call at all, especially after the way the Patriots/Panthers game ended six nights earlier.., there was no way Thomas was going to catch that, and if anything, the hold resulted in him being closer to where the ball was thrown!)

With only a couple of losses and tight games we haven't seen a lot of situations where the Broncos have had no choice but to push it downfield. In the cold and wind, they were not able to do it last night on a regular basis. I don't know if Manning keeps playing after this season, but objectively speaking, his arm strength is not even close to where it used to be, at least in terms of the eye test. 

Come on man, Brady had multiple possessions too.

I dont think this game has to do with either QBs. Both defense played well as well.

Patriot WRs were better and physical than Broncos. That was the difference.

This. I respect Manning and have no interest in piling on this morning or kicking a guy when he's down. But this is dead on. 

I've watched a few Denver games this year and last, not all of 'em. Despite what everyone tells me, what I've seen (honest opinion) is that his arm is almost completely gone. Yes he had that good drive last night to tie the game, and threw some GREAT passes there. But for him, at this point, it's all about accuracy. He's as good as they come when you're talking about ball placement, but the guy I saw throwing passes last night for the Denver Broncos is not the Peyton Manning I started off disliking, grew to respect, and then eventually fear a little because I knew he could derail the Patriots! 

Even with the wind, his passes are fluttering and hanging in the air too long, and he cannot drive the ball consistently. He got very lucky on the Talib INT that got called back... he threw it off his back foot, into the wind, and that ball would have fallen 10 yards short of Thomas. (I didn't like that call at all, especially after the way the Patriots/Panthers game ended six nights earlier.., there was no way Thomas was going to catch that, and if anything, the hold resulted in him being closer to where the ball was thrown!)

With only a couple of losses and tight games we haven't seen a lot of situations where the Broncos have had no choice but to push it downfield. In the cold and wind, they were not able to do it last night on a regular basis. I don't know if Manning keeps playing after this season, but objectively speaking, his arm strength is not even close to where it used to be, at least in terms of the eye test. 

Lets not talk about Refs, Nikovich grabbed DT several times and didn't get any calls. And DRC, Vickerson and Bruton all injured in second half but no excuses with injuries and refs.

But you do realise the dropped passes by Broncos receivers. Peyton cant throw and catch. Welker makes that catch in OT, game is over.

Fumbles, Defenses evened out.

The difference was between Pats receivers and Denver receivers. Denver receivers sucked.

Their schedule is not favorable in terms of weather as they have KC next at KC and then two more home games in Denver and then the playoffs are as it stands now all cold weather teams save for the Colts. And of course the SB is in NY.

I think Denver can survive if the weather is 30+ with little wind, but getting more adverse than that leaves Denver extremely vulnerable.

I think Denver can survive if the weather is 30+ with little wind, but getting more adverse than that leaves Denver extremely vulnerable.

I agree. But you know their defense is 28th in points allowed. They played a terrible second half. They will not win like that no matter the weather in the post-season.

Lets not talk about Refs, Nikovich grabbed DT several times and didn't get any calls. And DRC, Vickerson and Bruton all injured in second half but no excuses with injuries and refs.

But you do realise the dropped passes by Broncos receivers. Peyton cant throw and catch. Welker makes that catch in OT, game is over.

The difference was between Pats receivers and Denver receivers. Denver receivers sucked.

I don't remember exactly where (meaning, what yard line) that catch would have put the Broncos in OT, but going into the wind, they probably would have had to get to the 20 to kick it. And if it's the one I'm thinking of, Welker still would have been a yard or two shy. They probably would have gone for it on 4th down and maybe they would have gotten it. 

You can peg it on the receivers (part in bold), but one QB clearly outplayed the other last night, front-to-back. 

If Welker had caught that pass Denver still would have been short for the 1st, although it would have put them in a favorable 4th down. Welker does come out of this game as kind of a goat.....two dropped passes late and his special teams flub.