Dustin

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Superman, November 22, 2013 - bickering
Hidden by Superman, November 22, 2013 - bickering

you are incorrect again

so you think pff is the authority on football and think guys like gil brant are wrong and you don't know english?

bad day for you sir

R u impling that i dont no how too englich?

Guest TeamLoloJones

you are incorrect again

so you think pff is the authority on football and think guys like gil brant are wrong and you don't know english?

bad day for you sir

R u impling that i dont no how too englich?

Can you guys knock it off?  This is the stuff that drives people away from the forum.

I feel like a shill for Colts Authority, but I promise I'm not way affiliated with them.

I do urge everyone to go there and read the weekly O Line reports.  The guy grades every lineman on every play.  It's much more detailed than PFF.  I was shocked to find out that Satele has actually been playing better.  Both he and McGlynn scored slightly higher than Cherilus in the Titans game.

Neither they nor PFF know the O line assignements, but CA rates them on their performance for that play.  Check it out if you want to really know what the line is doing.

satele made several good pulling run blocks

Can you guys knock it off?  This is the stuff that drives people away from the forum.

actually yes

i agree

ridiculous comments like pff is perfect and rarely do olinmen make mistakes and just overall horrible posts are bad for the forum.  so i will stick to my intelligent and factual posts as usual

Guest TeamLoloJones

actually yes

i agree

ridiculous comments like pff is perfect and rarely do olinmen make mistakes and just overall horrible posts are bad for the forum.  so i will stick to my intelligent and factual posts as usual

I was referring to the bickering back and forth, I wasn't taking sides.

do you not realize that if you record a game you can rewind?  this isnt that hard.  it is actually very simple

I am sure it is simple, I just choose not to believe you. Just another vein attempt by you to portray a superior knowledge of the Colts without actually offering any worthwhile analysis. All you do is offer childish one-liners with little substance.

And PFF is used widely by teams, agents and the press, it is a highly respected source.

I am sure it is simple, I just choose not to believe you. Just another vein attempt by you to portray a superior knowledge of the Colts without actually offering any worthwhile analysis. All you do is offer childish one-liners with little substance.

And PFF is used widely by teams, agents and the press, it is a highly respected source.

fair enough

And sure it is used by the press. It is highly respected by fans for some reason.

I have never heard a scout or gm or anyone in football give them any respect

fair enough

And sure it is used by the press. It is highly respected by fans for some reason.

Maybe they don't, but Cherilus was the highest scoring right tackle last year on PFF.  And while most people where saying we should go after Vollmer or Andre Smith, Grigson just happened to go after and paid highly the guy who PFF said had the best season last season.

A guy that most people where ignoring and also a guy that some people, not necessarily on this board thought he was crazy for signing.  

So maybe he didn't consult PFF.  But the fact that he picked the player that PFF said was the best FA right tackle does give it some validity no?

I'd take PFF over most fans any day.  

Maybe they don't, but Cherilus was the highest scoring right tackle last year on PFF. And while most people where saying we should go after Vollmer or Andre Smith, Grigson just happened to go after and paid highly the guy who PFF said had the best season last season.

A guy that most people where ignoring and also a guy that some people, not necessarily on this board thought he was crazy for signing.

So maybe he didn't consult PFF. But the fact that he picked the player that PFF said was the best FA right tackle does give it some validity no?

I'd take PFF over most fans any day.

i never said that they are always wrong about players.

fair enough

They do. In fact every major agent uses it as leverage come contract negotiation time, and the teams stand up an notice. As was eluded to above, Cherilus became the highest paid RT in football in part because of his PFF grading. There is no other numerical, comparitive analysis that comes close

Coaches and scouts also use it, and have openly said as much. There are boundless written testimonials that support this, many of which can be found on the PFF website.

It may not be perfect, but nor are stats, or in fact any degree of data analysis. However, they are very useful. In regards to o-line assignments... it is not rocket science, you know what a Guard should be doing during a screen play, you know what an RT should be doing in a HB misdirection play to the left... yes there may be some holes were someone grades out positively on a blown assignment, but not lets act like 9/10 we don't know who someone should be blocking.

i never said that they are always wrong about players.

Not saying you did.  But the fact that our GM went for the person they rated the highest at the RT position when he wasn't at all a name player, and he has done well says something.

The problem is that most casual sports fan's knowledge of players often comes from what they heard from someone else.   It's been said that once ESPN says something about you, it talkes a long time for that image to wear off. And it doesn't matter what's actually happening on the field, it matters more what ESPN says about someone.

PFF may not be perfect, heck there is no analysis that is perfect because even the professionals who make millions to do this for a living screw up some of their decisions.  But it is IMO probably the best and most objective analysis out there.   

I like them because they don't just parrot what ESPN tells them but at the same time I havn't heard them say something too outlandish either.  

Not saying you did. But the fact that our GM went for the person they rated the highest at the RT position when he wasn't at all a name player, and he has done well says something.

The problem is that most casual sports fan's knowledge of players often comes from what they heard from someone else. It's been said that once ESPN says something about you, it talkes a long time for that image to wear off. And it doesn't matter what's actually happening on the field, it matters more what ESPN says about someone.

PFF may not be perfect, heck there is no analysis that is perfect because even the professionals who make millions to do this for a living screw up some of their decisions. But it is IMO probably the best and most objective analysis out there.

I like them because they don't just parrot what ESPN tells them but at the same time I havn't heard them say something too outlandish either.

who didn't know about cherilus?

Pff's rating of him is nothing to note

Honestly I thought the whole line SUCKED the first half of the TENN game. Especially the tackles lots of pressure? The line did play MUCH BETTER the 2nd half, the tackles played much better, but I thought McGlynn who I am not a fan of played well in the second half, very physical in the run game & not much pass rush. Probably McGlynn's best half of football as a guard, NOT CENTER " where i think he should play" in a Colts uniform. McGlynn's problems IMO are as a run blocker he comes out to high & players gain leverage low on him & push him back, he is better at trap & pulling, pass blocking he is not good in space as he is lead footed an can not adjust. Hes better at center IMO because the player he is to block more often than not is right in front of him pass or run & he is lower for an extended period of time because he is hiking the ball.. Well that's my 2 cents anyway.

You got it all in there.

After watching a much smaller Saturday handle the big boys with leverage, I have to think McGlynn has a lower back that is stiffer, that just doesn`t allow him to bend well enough. Yet he IS decent as a Center?

Thumbs up for more of the execution we saw in the 2nd half.

Thornton had 3 whiffs on pulls, i think all in the 2nd half. When he gets on the stick... those defenders won`t be getting to us in the backfield. It is a Big Deal!

They do. In fact every major agent uses it as leverage come contract negotiation time, and the teams stand up an notice. As was eluded to above, Cherilus became the highest paid RT in football in part because of his PFF grading. There is no other numerical, comparitive analysis that comes close

Coaches and scouts also use it, and have openly said as much. There are boundless written testimonials that support this, many of which can be found on the PFF website.

It may not be perfect, but nor are stats, or in fact any degree of data analysis. However, they are very useful. In regards to o-line assignments... it is not rocket science, you know what a Guard should be doing during a screen play, you know what an RT should be doing in a HB misdirection play to the left... yes there may be some holes were someone grades out positively on a blown assignment, but not lets act like 9/10 we don't know who someone should be blocking.

cherilus and his pay has nothing to do with pff. That is just foolish

A gm would laugh at an agent if he tried to use pff stats

I doubt anyone inside a pro team uses pff for much, they almost certainly take advantage of the types of insider metrics unavailable to the general public.

That said, pff could be argued as the best metrics available to non-professionals. It attempts to quantify the one on one matchups that fans typically would use to grade a player, on a play by play basis. Without inside sources with intimate knowledge of player responsibilities on a given play I'm not sure there's a better way to do it.

I doubt anyone inside a pro team uses pff for much, they almost certainly take advantage of the types of insider metrics unavailable to the general public.

That said, pff could be argued as the best metrics available to non-professionals. It attempts to quantify the one on one matchups that fans typically would use to grade a player, on a play by play basis. Without inside sources with intimate knowledge of player responsibilities on a given play I'm not sure there's a better way to do it.

I don't know that they have any insider metrics, so much as they just watch a lot of tape.

With Goster doing better then AC, should we consider having them switch sides next season?  

Well no. Gosder has slower feet than slow footed AC, right? AC goes against the teams best rusher.

Gosder REQUIRES help with his man more frequently too, right? Isn`t that what you see? That is clear from my viewing.

Well no. Gosder has slower feet than slow footed AC, right? AC goes against the teams best rusher.

Gosder REQUIRES help with his man more frequently too, right? Isn`t that what you see? That is clear from my viewing.

I don't get the logic either. We have a strong RT, so why would we want to move him from where he's playing well, and where he's played his entire career. Don't move Gosder, no matter what else you do. 

I don't know that they have any insider metrics, so much as they just watch a lot of tape.

What I mean is they get the same tape as everybody, along with inside knowledge of the scheme. It should improve their metrics in ways that pff openly admits they can't always account for.

cherilus and his pay has nothing to do with pff. That is just foolish

A gm would laugh at an agent if he tried to use pff stats

You continue to call things foolish without any basis for doing so. You think agents do not use PFF in contract negotiations? Go do your research and you will discover different. It is the only comparative analysis that can be used to weigh a contract proposal versus what peers with similar numbers receive.

You continue to call things foolish without any basis for doing so. You think agents do not use PFF in contract negotiations? Go do your research and you will discover different. It is the only comparative analysis that can be used to weigh a contract proposal versus what peers with similar numbers receive.

no they don't. The thought of that is hilarious.

Walden was the worst rated olber according to pff for two years straight. Grigson sure didn't pay him like it.

Polian has publicly called them a joke. Polian would throw an agent out of his office if an agent was that stupid

You continue to call things foolish without any basis for doing so. You think agents do not use PFF in contract negotiations? Go do your research and you will discover different. It is the only comparative analysis that can be used to weigh a contract proposal versus what peers with similar numbers receive.

he didn't say a agent wouldn't use pff, they would try anything to get their player the most money. he said the gm would disregard those type of ratings from websites. they are going to rely on their own staff of scouts, that's why they have them and some teame do better than others. if teams were using websites for scouting information, you wouldn't have some teams doing better than others in talent evaluation. they would all do the same thing.