Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell/coaching (Merge)

number28

I wish we could evaluate Dungy without Manning, I bet we get the same results. He was also way too soft. This team needs someone who does more than throw a golf clap at a scoring play, and more than a disgruntled look when someone messes up.

Dungy & Manning helped make each other - arguing otherwise is uninformed. But the point is the same that to properly coach and motivate a team you need to be a screamer. Complete nonsense. The NFL coaching lanscape is filled with guys who got greatness out of their team without having to act a fool to do it.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dungy & Manning helped make each other - arguing otherwise is uninformed. But the point is the same that to properly coach and motivate a team you need to be a screamer. Complete nonsense. The NFL coaching lanscape is filled with guys who got greatness out of their team without having to act a fool to do it.

Yes but thinking that you can coach todays players the way they could coach players of twenty years ago would

also be uninformed. Those players of the 70's & 80 were much more disciplined than todays players who generally me first

players. motivation is a must in todays game. Look at your last 10-15 super bowl winners. Pretty firery coaches with the exception

of Dungy and we beat a team with no offense and possibly the worst QB to be in a super bowl in the last 15 years. jmo

Yes but thinking that you can coach todays players the way they could coach players of twenty years ago would

also be uninformed. Those players of the 70's & 80 were much more disciplined than todays players who generally me first

players. motivation is a must in todays game. Look at your last 10-15 super bowl winners. Pretty firery coaches with the exception

of Dungy and we beat a team with no offense and possibly the worst QB to be in a super bowl in the last 15 years. jmo

Not sure how you can use such a sweeping generalization that players of the 70's & 80's are more disciplined than today's players. Players today are in better shape - in fact in those days players used camp to get in shape. Isn't that a sign of discipline? And doesn't that me first generation need to be coddled more than having a coach put a foot up their *? Seems to me you have it backwards.

Winning coaches of the last few years - McCarthy is a firey guy? Tomlin? Sean Peyton? Even Belichick? I would argue the opposite of those guys.

Regardless, Caldwell may have his faults. The fact that he is not as emotional as you like is not one of those faults. It is just something that people who already don't like him use to for fault evidence of his shortcomings.

Edited by jskinnz

Not sure how you can use such a sweeping generalization that players of the 70's & 80's are more disciplined than today's players. Players today are in better shape - in fact in those days players used camp to get in shape. Isn't that a sign of discipline? And doesn't that me first generation need to be coddled more than having a coach put a foot up their *? Seems to me you have it backwards.

Winning coaches of the last few years - McCarthy is a firey guy? Tomlin? Sean Peyton? Even Belichick? I would argue the opposite of those guys.

Regardless, Caldwell may have his faults. The fact that he is not as emotional as you like is not one of those faults. It is just something that people who already don't like him use to for fault evidence of his shortcomings.

There is no argument the 4 a above mentioned coaches any game you watch they will some form of emotion

and motivation. At least once a game they will rup into somebody to get them going. That does'nt mean acting a fool

it is called coaching, but i am not going to get in to debate about it. I dont think it would do me any good rather I was right or wrong. Because I have a feeling that you have never lost an argument or been wrong, That is the beauty of this forum everyone it entitled to a different opinion.

Some people want Cowher only because he's a screamer.. Well more of a spitter.

Personally I could careless about the demeanor of the coach. I want a coach that coaches. I want a difference maker. I want the coach that can on any given drive, go to the bench break out the marker and the dry board, and work up a design, tweak a scheme, show how to work against a technique, anything. Out of all of the games I've attended I have yet to see Caldwell do this once. Out of the rest of the games I've seen on tv, I've yet to see him do it once. It might because he's never been an OC or DC. It might be because he has confidence in the OC & DC and has delegated that to them.

I want a difference maker. Someone that can add something to any given situation. Someone that is prepared for any given situation. We do not have a difference maker. Well we do not have a positive difference maker.

There is no argument the 4 a above mentioned coaches any game you watch they will some form of emotion

and motivation. At least once a game they will rup into somebody to get them going. That does'nt mean acting a fool

it is called coaching, but i am not going to get in to debate about it. I dont think it would do me any good rather I was right or wrong. Because I have a feeling that you have never lost an argument or been wrong, That is the beauty of this forum everyone it entitled to a different opinion.

Do you really want your coach "rubbing into somebody to get them going?" Not sure I like the sound of that or want my coach doing it.

And I lose arguments all the time - just not on here.

Personally I could careless about the demeanor of the coach. I want a coach that coaches. I want a difference maker. I want the coach that can on any given drive, go to the bench break out the marker and the dry board, and work up a design, tweak a scheme, show how to work against a technique, anything. Out of all of the games I've attended I have yet to see Caldwell do this once. Out of the rest of the games I've seen on tv, I've yet to see him do it once. It might because he's never been an OC or DC. It might be because he has confidence in the OC & DC and has delegated that to them.

I want a difference maker. Someone that can add something to any given situation. Someone that is prepared for any given situation. We do not have a difference maker. Well we do not have a positive difference maker.

I generally do not agree with your take on most things. But you do present your case in such a way that it does give me pause to reconsider my own point of view. Now I will likely still feel the way I do, but you do make me think and I appreciate & respect that.

This opinion on Caldwell - I can completely understand the sentiment that he is not a difference making coach. But I am just not convinced that him drawing up a play with the dry-erase board is evidence that he can't coach. I think you are spot on in saying that he is a delegator.

I just can't stand the irrational nonsense spewed his way. His sideline demeanor is not an indication that he can or can't coach but people latch onto like grim death and that perception is their reality.

Do you really want your coach "rubbing into somebody to get them going?" Not sure I like the sound of that or want my coach doing it.

And I lose arguments all the time - just not on here.

Must be married. They control 75% of the money and all of the well I'll everyone come up with their all of the :)

I generally do not agree with your take on most things. But you do present your case in such a way that it does give me pause to reconsider my own point of view. Now I will likely still feel the way I do, but you do make me think and I appreciate & respect that.

This opinion on Caldwell - I can completely understand the sentiment that he is not a difference making coach. But I am just not convinced that him drawing up a play with the dry-erase board is evidence that he can't coach. I think you are spot on in saying that he is a delegator.

I just can't stand the irrational nonsense spewed his way. His sideline demeanor is not an indication that he can or can't coach but people latch onto like grim death and that perception is their reality.

As evidenced by nearly anything I share an opinion on, I don't throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks. That would be like saying Jim Caldwell sucks and not offering any variables about why that is the opinion.

The above example in the previous post is just one of the things I have issue with. As I've said in other threads, I'm not blaming him for 0-6, I just don't feel he was the right coach with Manning, or without Manning.

Tony took Tampa to the NFC CG............. with Shawn King.

Is that "uninformed" .... info??????

Must be married. They control 75% of the money and all of the well I'll everyone come up with their all of the :)

As evidenced by nearly anything I share an opinion on, I don't throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks. That would be like saying Jim Caldwell sucks and not offering any variables about why that is the opinion.

The above example in the previous post is just one of the things I have issue with. As I've said in other threads, I'm not blaming him for 0-6, I just don't feel he was the right coach with Manning, or without Manning.

And I agree............

Tony took Tampa to the NFC CG............. with Shawn King.

Is that "uninformed" .... info??????

I am not sure of the point. I have always thought Dungy was a very good to great coach. I was debating whether someone had to be a firey guy to be a good coach and the implication from Luvdashoe seemed to be that Manning made Dungy. That without Manning, Dungy would have not been successful. My essential point is that they were both great and made each other better. And Dungy did it without being a screamer.

BUT...it was a WIN...

Boy and girls...we are stuck with Caldwell...I think he needs to go. He is a major reason we are sub par in all areas. Below is a lik that you all need to read. There are going to be fans that think that Caldwell is NOT the problem...they are the same ones that think Obama should remain in office....nuf said about those fans. Please read the link.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-harbaugh-san-francisco-49ers-doing-everything-right-indianapolis-colts-jim-caldwell-not-101811

Caldwell must go for us to be contenders before Peyton, Reggie, Jeff, Dallas, Dwight, and Robert retire! :ranton:

Go Colts!!

Great post! Absolutely true. How many games did we see where the Colts played awful and were down by a couple TD at half but we all knew that Dungy would make the necessary adjustments at half time......and he did! I doubt anyone has that confidence now. I am a big Cowher fan but Dungy shows you do not need to be a screamer or spitter to be a great coach but with that said you would see occassionaly the fire in Dungy's gut. He would get on an official after a very bad call or would show some emotion after a great or terrible play. With Caldwell you get nothing.....makes you wonder if there is anything under that hat?

I really hate running the man down because I think he is probably a great human being but that doesn't "pay the bills" and we can find other great human beings that are good at what they do.

Just for the record, there is a happy medium between screaming like a drunken sailor every play and the catotonic stare we're subjected to every sunday from Caldwell.

Even guys like Walsh and Noll would put foot to butt if it was neccesary.

heck, even Dungy would change facial expressions periodically.

If I didn't know better, I'd think someone gave Caldwell a lobotomy.

1 Word to Describe Every NFL Head Coach

From Bleacher Report

Caldwell

Word: Disinterested, verb, (disinterest) A lack of interest

Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, is far from the most energetic guy on the sidelines. In fact it's tough to get much emotion from him at all.

While that is fine while the team wins, the loss of quarterback Peyton Manning means that the team needs some fiery leadership, and unfortunately Caldwell isn't the guy to do that.

Then again it's not always easy to get fired up about watching the play of backup quarterback Curtis Painter.

http://bleacherrepor...d-coach/page/16

1 Word to Describe Every NFL Head Coach

From Bleacher Report

Caldwell

Word: Disinterested, verb, (disinterest) A lack of interest

Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell, is far from the most energetic guy on the sidelines. In fact it's tough to get much emotion from him at all.

While that is fine while the team wins, the loss of quarterback Peyton Manning means that the team needs some fiery leadership, and unfortunately Caldwell isn't the guy to do that.

Then again it's not always easy to get fired up about watching the play of backup quarterback Curtis Painter.

http://bleacherrepor...d-coach/page/16

Right, except Painter has proven he is a more than capable backup. In fact, I think the guy could be pretty good given the chance. I am sure if Painter was in Cassel's shoes several years ago in New England he would have a similar record as Cassel.

No one said anything about being a screamer, I'm talking about having some passion for your football team. If he has it he surely doesn't show it and I can only go off of what I see.

Tomlin, Peyton, and Belicheck all have more passion for their football teams than caldwell ever thought of having, just calling it as I see it.

It is incredible how much knowledge is here on the Head Coach position in the NFL. I mean I am really impressed and wonder why Irsay and Polian can't see what others see? I mean how dare they employ a coach with the accomplishments of Caldwell. I mean really only 1 SB appearance in his first 3 seasons? Only winning 10 games last year with a desimated roster? And now standing by as the team battles game in and game out without Peyton and other key players, but yet outside of the season opener, having the team in every other game....my gosh what are Irsay and Polian thinking.....

It is incredible how much knowledge is here on the Head Coach position in the NFL. I mean I am really impressed and wonder why Irsay and Polian can't see what others see? I mean how dare they employ a coach with the accomplishments of Caldwell. I mean really only 1 SB appearance in his first 3 seasons? Only winning 10 games last year with a desimated roster? And now standing by as the team battles game in and game out without Peyton and other key players, but yet outside of the season opener, having the team in every other game....my gosh what are Irsay and Polian thinking.....

Was it Caldwell? Can you prove that? I say it's Manning. Prove me wrong.

Tomlin, Peyton, and Belicheck all have more passion for their football teams than caldwell ever thought of having, just calling it as I see it.

Utter non

No one said anything about being a screamer, I'm talking about having some passion for your football team. If he has it he surely doesn't show it and I can only go off of what I see.

More evidence of nothing. Claiming Caldwell has no passion for his team is just nonsense.

You might as well go out and bang your head on a tree. In 4192 opinion Caldwell is better than

Walsh, Landry, and knoll combined. You can give him numerous examples of games Caldwell has cost us

and ask him to name one time he made a good in game decision or adjustment, and he will say he took us to

the superbowl. Forgetting the fact he prob cost us the same superbowl and the following playoff game, and now this mess

this team should be 4-2 at least. Look up the colts record in the last 25 games. getting worse not better.

Well if it was just Peyton, then I guess Tony D wasn't that good really either and all the other coaches Peyton played for, they all stunk. Remove Ben from Pitts and do they do as well? How come Bill B wasn't able to get the Pats in the Playoffs when Tom went down? I guess Jimmie Johnson only won because of his QB? There is no way any coach could win this season with how the Colts are constructed and who is missing. When Healthy this team successed with Caldwell as coach. So you are going to punish him because his star QB was to stupid to get his health issued addressed sooner or because the GM/Owner sunk incredible amounts of Cap space into about 4-5 players? Yep that's Caldwell's fault.

You might as well go out and bang your head on a tree. In 4192 opinion Caldwell is better than

Walsh, Landry, and knoll combined. You can give him numerous examples of games Caldwell has cost us

and ask him to name one time he made a good in game decision or adjustment, and he will say he took us to

the superbowl. Forgetting the fact he prob cost us the same superbowl and the following playoff game, and now this mess

this team should be 4-2 at least. Look up the colts record in the last 25 games. getting worse not better.

Never said Caldwell was better then anyone, but what I have said is that NO coach would win with this team as constructed this year with the injuries it has suffered. To think this team would be 4-2 with a "better" coach is almost laughable. This team at 100% healthy this season was going to struggle to get to 8 or 9 wins. This team is getting old and is not very good in some key positions on defense, which I am kinda unclear how that is Caldwell's fault? If you have issues with how the team was put together then that is another issue, or the fact that a majority of our cap space is eaten up by 4-5 position players I would agree. Teams age and lose a step, add to that this season the inability to stop the pass and inability to score and you have what you have. As for the SB, that was a loss that is on Peyton shoulders and no one else, and the playoff loss is due to the inability of the "PLAYERS" to tackle.

Has Caldwell made mistakes...sure all coaches do, even the greats. I mean really with all the talent Bill has in NE how is it they haven't won a SB in how long and then Loss to a much lesser team in their last appearance?

Well if it was just Peyton, then I guess Tony D wasn't that good really either and all the other coaches Peyton played for, they all stunk. Remove Ben from Pitts and do they do as well? How come Bill B wasn't able to get the Pats in the Playoffs when Tom went down? I guess Jimmie Johnson only won because of his QB? There is no way any coach could win this season with how the Colts are constructed and who is missing. When Healthy this team successed with Caldwell as coach. So you are going to punish him because his star QB was to stupid to get his health issued addressed sooner or because the GM/Owner sunk incredible amounts of Cap space into about 4-5 players? Yep that's Caldwell's fault.

Pats were only 11-5 without brady

Pittsburgh 3-1 w/o Ben that is with charlie batch and a rookie dixon who had never played a pro down.

Jimmy Johnson could out coach caldwell in his sleep .2 years after 1-15 superbowl.

Caldwell 2 years after superbowl maybe 2-14. just saying.

Edited by LUVTHESHOE

Pats were only 11-5 without brady

Pittsburgh 3-1 w/o Ben that is with charlie batch and a rookie dixon who had never played a pro down.

Jimmy Johnson could out coach caldwell in his sleep 2 years after 1-15 superbowl

Caldwell 2 years after superbowl maybe 2-14. just saying.

Pats missed the playoffs, so what does it matter what their record is?

Has the Steelers missed the playoffs even with all their talent? Yep

Where the Cowboys good because of Jimmy or because they got lucky and drafted well for a couple of drafts. I mean really wasn't their winning due to Troy/Michael and some RB names Smith? I mean what did Jimmy win in Miami?

This is exactly the point all of us (Caldwell non-believers) are trying to make. Caldwell has a talented team but cannot do anything without the real leader on the field. Caldwell is not a leader! Manning is the leader! Caldwell does fine when Manning is in the game and leading. You can take a random fan out of the stand and make him the head coach and he/she would go 9-7 with Manning playing...maybe better. Caldwell is a good guy but not a good coach. Look at his record without Manning!

This is exactly the point all of us (Caldwell non-believers) are trying to make. Caldwell has a talented team but cannot do anything without the real leader on the field. Caldwell is not a leader! Manning is the leader! Caldwell does fine when Manning is in the game and leading. You can take a random fan out of the stand and make him the head coach and he/she would go 9-7 with Manning playing...maybe better. Caldwell is a good guy but not a good coach. Look at his record without Manning!

Exactly what do you want Caldwell to do? Suit up and play QB? Lets look at Detroit...is their coach better this year because his QB is healthy and playing or because he is a better coach?

Exactly what do you want Caldwell to do? Suit up and play QB? Lets look at Detroit...is their coach better this year because his QB is healthy and playing or because he is a better coach?

Come on....should this team be 0-6 with the talent they have? Painter is not the problem. We have players that have lost their way due to lack of leadership. What would Manning do after Garcon tries to lateral or whatever he was doing? I don't think we would have walked over to the sideline and stared out in space. Caldwell does not know what to do. He is not a leader. Probably a good assistant coach but not a leader!

I am anti-Caldwell but let me say this. I could care less if our coach was screaming until he was hoarse or quiet as a mouse. I don't like Caldwell and any other coach from our staff because of the multiple bonehead decisions that have been made, the same answers we have been given for why we lose, the lack of in-game adjustments, etc.

I agree, not liking a coach because of his demeanor is stupid, but not liking a coach because of his performance is ok.

Come on....should this team be 0-6 with the talent they have? Painter is not the problem. We have players that have lost their way due to lack of leadership. What would Manning do after Garcon tries to lateral or whatever he was doing? I don't think we would have walked over to the sideline and stared out in space. Caldwell does not know what to do. He is not a leader. Probably a good assistant coach but not a leader!

Yes they should. Talent in some places but no where near enough to win. I said at the start before Peyton was ruled out the Colts were a 8-9 win team at best with a full healthy team. Now you remove Peyton, a very weak and questionable offensive line, no ability to stop the pass due to lack of talent and injury and this team is what it is. Problem isn't the coach, the problem is the fans refusal to accept what we have. This is an aging beat up team with no QB with experience. People really need to take off the blue tint glasses and see where this franchise is and what it needs to do to get ready for the next decade.

Never said Caldwell was better then anyone, but what I have said is that NO coach would win with this team as constructed this year with the injuries it has suffered. To think this team would be 4-2 with a "better" coach is almost laughable. This team at 100% healthy this season was going to struggle to get to 8 or 9 wins. This team is getting old and is not very good in some key positions on defense, which I am kinda unclear how that is Caldwell's fault? If you have issues with how the team was put together then that is another issue, or the fact that a majority of our cap space is eaten up by 4-5 position players I would agree. Teams age and lose a step, add to that this season the inability to stop the pass and inability to score and you have what you have. As for the SB, that was a loss that is on Peyton shoulders and no one else, and the playoff loss is due to the inability of the "PLAYERS" to tackle.

Has Caldwell made mistakes...sure all coaches do, even the greats. I mean really with all the talent Bill has in NE how is it they haven't won a SB in how long and then Loss to a much lesser team in their last appearance?

Completely agree.

Caldwell is not a coaching savant but his task this year has been to make chicken salad out of chicken poop. There is a void of talent all over the place and that ain't on Caldwell.

Edited by jskinnz

I guess Id ask why are fans NOT blaming Caldwell?

Who runs the team? Caldwell? Polian?

If its Polian, its still going to be Caldwells fault. He will make sure of that.

If its Caldwell, its his fault.

He is the head of the team. It doesnt matter if he doesnt play, he is the guy who needs to make the necessary changes to field a competitive team each week, and make changes DURING the game to field a competitive team each quarter of the game.

Can anyone say he has done all that?

If you do, Ill laugh at you, and so will a lot of other people.

Does he deserve all of the blame? No, because he didnt hire himself. But he also didnt stand up for players he should have before they were cut. And if that wasnt the case, and he DID in fact have the last say in it, then that just adds to the blame.

The simple fact is, Caldwell and the coaching staff he put in place are not getting the job done when it should be and could be.

The Colts didnt lose those games because of bad play all around. I dont think some of you watched the games when Manning was in there. The same players played the same. Some were worse (Garcon, Brown to name a couple), but now some are better (O-line, Garcon, Brown).

I think some of you are just blind or unwilling to accept that this team can win without Manning, so long as the coaches arent hamstringing them at every turn.

How many times have they been close in the last 6 games? How many were winnable with minor scheme changes that never occurred?

The Colts should be at a MINIMUM 2-4 right now, and they arent. heck, I think most would settle for 1-5, but they cant even manage that.

I guess the most troubling thing to me about this topic is that so many of you seem to be fine with the fact that without Manning the Colts dont win, and are making excuses at every turn for those charged with having this team ready to play under any circumstance.

No-one expected a playoff run without Manning, but some (a lot) of us expected a few wins, especially early against the worse teams. That hasnt happened, and the blame has to go somewhere, especially given what the team has shown it can do when given a real chance.

The talent to win a couple at the least is there, its just not being used as it should, and thats squarely on the coaching staffs collective shoulders.

I guess Id ask why are fans NOT blaming Caldwell?

Who runs the team? Caldwell? Polian?

If its Polian, its still going to be Caldwells fault. He will make sure of that.

If its Caldwell, its his fault.

He is the head of the team. It doesnt matter if he doesnt play, he is the guy who needs to make the necessary changes to field a competitive team each week, and make changes DURING the game to field a competitive team each quarter of the game.

Can anyone say he has done all that?

If you do, Ill laugh at you, and so will a lot of other people.

Does he deserve all of the blame? No, because he didnt hire himself. But he also didnt stand up for players he should have before they were cut. And if that wasnt the case, and he DID in fact have the last say in it, then that just adds to the blame.

The simple fact is, Caldwell and the coaching staff he put in place are not getting the job done when it should be and could be.

The Colts didnt lose those games because of bad play all around. I dont think some of you watched the games when Manning was in there. The same players played the same. Some were worse (Garcon, Brown to name a couple), but now some are better (O-line, Garcon, Brown).

I think some of you are just blind or unwilling to accept that this team can win without Manning, so long as the coaches arent hamstringing them at every turn.

How many times have they been close in the last 6 games? How many were winnable with minor scheme changes that never occurred?

The Colts should be at a MINIMUM 2-4 right now, and they arent. heck, I think most would settle for 1-5, but they cant even manage that.

I guess the most troubling thing to me about this topic is that so many of you seem to be fine with the fact that without Manning the Colts dont win, and are making excuses at every turn for those charged with having this team ready to play under any circumstance.

No-one expected a playoff run without Manning, but some (a lot) of us expected a few wins, especially early against the worse teams. That hasnt happened, and the blame has to go somewhere, especially given what the team has shown it can do when given a real chance.

The talent to win a couple at the least is there, its just not being used as it should, and thats squarely on the coaching staffs collective shoulders.

POST OF THE YEAR! but caldwell did take us to a superbowl, so give him a lifetime pass, please. Please remember that he is the only coach that deals with injuries. so lets wait until

every player is healthy all year before we judge him.

Edited by LUVTHESHOE

THIS! THIS! THIS!

People are ok with the fact we can not win without Peyton Manning. While we ridicule Polian year in and year out for placing so much pressure on Manning, we contradict ourselves by living with the fact that losing one player will decide our fate? I understand this is Peyton we are talking about but the game is much bigger than one player and if we have placed all our faith into one player then the fans and the teams have failed. There is a difference between a person that is a leader and a person that is a crutch.

I said this before, I am tired of people using the same excuses every year for our losses! Injuries, a play, a player, etc. This is a team and obviously we have not built a team but more of a supporting cast.

To settle this, Caldwell and company need to be blamed for the game mishaps and Polian and company need to be blamed for the team's mishaps. It is time to stop using excuses and acknowledge that the multiple mistakes from the past have finally caught up, one of the being Caldwell.

Edited by smittywerb