Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dungy weighing in on Irsay Comments

thetigerfox

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand he wants to win and love that and love he is willing to do anything, but these comments were very insulting and classless and shows an inability for a rational thought process...I think someone needs to have an intervention and put him in rehab before this gets too embarrassing...

Dungy must have a crystal ball somewhere that gives him insights into alternate realities. I understand his disapproval of Irsay's comments, but his own are just as silly. Since Peyton has left, I think the city of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana at large have done just fine in supporting their football team.

Since Peyton has left, I think the city of Indianapolis and the State of Indiana at large have done just fine in supporting their football team.

Although it does help having the second coming of Manning in Luck (I don't like comparing the two this way, but there's no other analogy I can think of right now)

Although it does help having the second coming of Manning in Luck (I don't like comparing the two this way, but there's no other analogy I can think of right now)

I agree. I guess my point being that Dungy has no way of knowing what would have happened had Manning not been a Colt. Perhaps the Colts would have found success through a different player or player(s) and would have continued to make the Colts place in Indy be lucrative without Manning. He has no way of knowing and his comment to the contrary is just conjecture stated as fact.

I agree. I guess my point being that Dungy has no way of knowing what would have happened had Manning not been a Colt. Perhaps the Colts would have found success through a different player or player(s) and would have continued to make the Colts place in Indy be lucrative without Manning. He has no way of knowing and his comment to the contrary is just conjecture stated as fact.

I thought the Harbaugh years were pretty good and we were a dropped pass and crooked officiating away from a Super Bowl in 96' before Manning....That was probably still my favorite season as a fan that was a special team with great personalities all around....

I thought the Harbaugh years were pretty good and we were a dropped pass and crooked officiating away from a Super Bowl in 96' before Manning....That was probably still my favorite season as a fan that was a special team with great personalities all around....

they lost...

I find it frustrating that people insist Irsay was ready to move team to L.A. (Mortensen, cough) when such a threat never came from Irsay's mouth.

Well I hate to disagree with you but I live in Indiana and Irsay  did say that if he didn't get a new stadium he would move the team to  LA where he would get one.   That is when Peyton went to our legislature to try and get the help to get a new stadium and he was successful.  So OP are correct on that fact. :)

Dungy is being dense. As much as I respect him and his time here, and for all the good he did, he was a part of the problem as well. Polian catered to his philosophy for smaller, faster defensive players. It worked with guys like Freeney and Mathis, but was an abject failure in the middle of the defensive line. Irsay's comments were partly a referendum on Dungy's approach as well. Not surprising that Dungy and Polian are chiming in here.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9832784/tony-dungy-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-jim-making-personal

Now Dungy weighs in. "Without Peyton, there would be no Lucas Oil Stadium. This team would be playing in L.A. right now. I don't understand Jim saying this."

Yeah and without Manning bailing you out you wouldn't have a SB dungy!! Underachiever to the extreme.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9832784/tony-dungy-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-jim-making-personal

Now Dungy weighs in.   "Without Peyton, there would be no Lucas Oil Stadium. This team would be playing in L.A. right now. I don't understand Jim saying this."

I understand he wants to win and love that and love he is willing to do anything, but these comments were very insulting and classless and shows an inability for a rational thought process...I think someone needs to have an intervention and put him in rehab before this gets too embarrassing...

Sweet Jesus.

I dont think the comments were in any way to bash Peyton, but I wish Irsay woulda waited until after the game to say this.

PM doesnt need any fuel.

'Ran out of like on similar thread for above and other comments

, due think are bad timing and Irasy did indeed insult peyton in that he did do way more for team owner and city and getting that new stadium and downtown center etc and his foundations than just getting Irsay 1 ring as he points out , 

all those consistent wins  provided much and m,ade irsay & franchise so much wealthier too

and he also gave away personal conversation that peyton told him he be a fool not top takle luck, u never give away a personal conversation, that alone is insulting and being mistrustfull

If he feels this way its his right, however , u dont say it the week before a game where u already anopunced u were going to honor a man to

Irsay is just plan wrong here by doing this

I'm still sitting on the fence with Irsay's comments, the problem is no one else is..  Everyone is taking sides, and most are not on Irsay's side right now.     Ugh I knew he was going to do something like this lol, but that's why we love him.   So now we have the opposing coach a little fired up, the old GM, and the old coach who just so happens to be the analyst of the game.   

This is not how I visioned this first meeting at all...   Irsay has of course rebutted stating he meant if he had put a better defense and special teams Manning and the colts would have had more.   The media is def trying to shape this one out, Manning and Luck should get to speak today, and with both those class acts on the mic, I have a feeling that focus will be changed to a different story, however espn loves to hang onto crap stories, the big problem is Polian and Dungy work with ESPN, 

I could, and usaully do lol, but the past blames on Polian, but the buck stops at Irsay.   So many angles to go at with this game, and now everything is blown up.   

Someone needs to ground Irsay off Twitter this week lol

Class acts speaking today and should shift focus of game....  you all remember this?

http://youtu.be/3usIqZtHPpE

Well I hate to disagree with you but I live in Indiana and Irsay  did say that if he didn't get a new stadium he would move the team to  LA where he would get one.   That is when Peyton went to our legislature to try and get the help to get a new stadium and he was successful.  So OP are correct on that fact. :)

as said above no m,ore likes but u deserve one, good memory & thanks

I'm still sitting on the fence with Irsay's comments, the problem is no one else is..  Everyone is taking sides, and most are not on Irsay's side right now.     Ugh I knew he was going to do something like this lol, but that's why we love him.   So now we have the opposing coach a little fired up, the old GM, and the old coach who just so happens to be the analyst of the game.   

This is not how I visioned this first meeting at all...   Irsay has of course rebutted stating he meant if he had put a better defense and special teams Manning and the colts would have had more.   The media is def trying to shape this one out, Manning and Luck should get to speak today, and with both those class acts on the mic, I have a feeling that focus will be changed to a different story, however espn loves to hang onto crap stories, the big problem is Polian and Dungy work with ESPN, 

I could, and usaully do lol, but the past blames on Polian, but the buck stops at Irsay.   So many angles to go at with this game, and now everything is blown up.   

Someone needs to ground Irsay off Twitter this week lol

Class acts speaking today and should shift focus of game....  you all remember this?

http://youtu.be/3usIqZtHPpE

Neither want to have to address this issue, esp peyton as he is the one comments surround 

Dungy is being dense. As much as I respect him and his time here, and for all the good he did, he was a part of the problem as well. Polian catered to his philosophy for smaller, faster defensive players. It worked with guys like Freeney and Mathis, but was an abject failure in the middle of the defensive line. Irsay's comments were partly a referendum on Dungy's approach as well. Not surprising that Dungy and Polian are chiming in here.

Did Dungy have a small defense in Tampa? I remember it being large and intimidating.

'Ran out of like on similar thread for above and other comments

, due think are bad timing and Irasy did indeed insult peyton in that he did do way more for team owner and city and getting that new stadium and downtown center etc and his foundations than just getting Irsay 1 ring as he points out , 

all those consistent wins  provided much and m,ade irsay & franchise so much wealthier too

and he also gave away personal conversation that peyton told him he be a fool not top takle luck, u never give away a personal conversation, that alone is insulting and being mistrustfull

If he feels this way its his right, however , u dont say it the week before a game where u already anopunced u were going to honor a man to

Irsay is just plan wrong here by doing this

Thanks Barry very well said and I agree completely. :thmup:

He had some all-time great players though...Sapp,Brooks, Barber, Lynch...That was probably the scariest defense ever in the modern era...

He sure did. What a D!  I think you cater to the unit that is the strongest. I am not sure why Irsay thinks he is above how the team was constructed. Pretty sure Polian and Dungy did not act in a vacuum. Now he wants to complain about them when it is HIS team? At the end of the day, he ok's everything. I don't blame Dungy one but for defending himself. Seems silly that he shoudl have to against his former boss ...

Did Dungy have a small defense in Tampa? I remember it being large and intimidating.

Bigger than the Colts defense, but not large by NFL standards. Sapp was a smallish interior lineman. Not a dwarf or anything, but he played at 303. Compared to tackles like Grady Jackson and Darrell Russell, Oakland's interior lineman, who played at 325 and 345. Booger McFarland was about the same size as Sapp. Derrick Brooks was about Gary Brackett's size. Shelton Quarles was 225. Simeon Rice was taller, but about Freeney's weight.

The Colts started bringing in similar players -- Cato June, Raheem Brock, etc. -- and getting rid of some of the bigger defensive players, once Dungy got here. It was his philosophy that Polian was executing. And the Colts defense continued to get pushed around until 2005, when we brought in some beef on the interior of the defensive line with Simon and McFarland, moved Brock back to end, played Mathis as a sub pass rusher, put Morris at OLB, etc. 

Still, the difference between the Bucs and the Colts on defense was the quality of the defensive players. Brooks, Sapp, etc., were just better than the guys we had. Lynch and Barber were phenomenal. It wasn't about size, it was that they had all time great players on defense.

Well I hate to disagree with you but I live in Indiana and Irsay did say that if he didn't get a new stadium he would move the team to LA where he would get one. That is when Peyton went to our legislature to try and get the help to get a new stadium and he was successful. So OP are correct on that fact. :)

You are wrong. Irsay never threatened to move the team, and I challenge you to provide a reputable source contradicting my statement.

He sure did. What a D!  I think you cater to the unit that is the strongest. I am not sure why Irsay thinks he is above how the team was constructed. Pretty sure Polian and Dungy did not act in a vacuum. Now he wants to complain about them when it is HIS team? At the end of the day, he ok's everything. I don't blame Dungy one but for defending himself. Seems silly that he shoudl have to against his former boss ...

Let me ask you this: Were the Colts a balanced team? Were they good defensively? Did they have a strong special teams unit?

People are acting like Irsay is just making this stuff up. It's one thing to disagree with him vocalizing it, or to say that he bungled the delivery. But let's not pretend that the Colts didn't have their deficiencies when it came to being a balanced roster. The defense was always underwhelming, the special teams coverage was always problematic.

Let me ask you this: Were the Colts a balanced team? Were they good defensively? Did they have a strong special teams unit?

People are acting like Irsay is just making this stuff up. It's one thing to disagree with him vocalizing it, or to say that he bungled the delivery. But let's not pretend that the Colts didn't have their deficiencies when it came to being a balanced roster. The defense was always underwhelming, the special teams coverage was always problematic.

People are mad that he's talking about issues, that are talked about on here. Every. Day.

Let me ask you, what team in the cap/FA has been balanced? The Pats teams that won rings were average on O. Brady won with zero HoF at the offensive skill positions. The Bucs of '02 largely won with defense. The Packers of 2010 won with offense and a good enough D. Same with Saints of 2009. I think Manning had a good enough defense many of his years that he played. But he had a killer O. Hard to build both in the cap/FA era. And in terms of ST's, at one point didn't Vanderjagt have the highes FG percentage in the league? And then you got Vinateri?

It is hard to win Super Bowls. What irks me about Irsay is that his comments reflect poorly on him as if he was a blind guide leading the ship. If he didn't like what Polian was doing then stop it. But no, he let's it go on for over a decade and then wants to criticize him on the way out. I don't get it. He is the owner. Fire Polian if he was so flawed.

Let me ask you, what team in the cap/FA has been balanced? The Pats teams that won rings were average on O. Brady won with zero HoF at the offensive skill positions. The Bucs of '02 largely won with defense. The Packers of 2010 won with offense and a good enough D. Same with Saints of 2009. I think Manning had a good enough defense many of his years that he played. But he had a killer O. Hard to build both in the cap/FA era. And in terms of ST's, at one point didn't Vanderjagt have the highes FG percentage in the league? And then you got Vinateri?

It is hard to win Super Bowls. What irks me about Irsay is that his comments reflect poorly on him as if he was a blind guide leading the ship. If he didn't like what Polian was doing then stop it. But no, he let's it go on for over a decade and then wants to criticize him on the way out. I don't get it. He is the owner. Fire Polian if he was so flawed.

:: scratches head ::

He did. 

I see you didn't answer the question.

He did. 

I often wonder if we kept Jim Mora and gave him the talent Dungy had if we would have won more Super Bowls...I always thought Dungy's laid back nonchalant approach killed us in the playoffs and he was a big reason we underachieved and Caldwell was just awful....Manning was basically the head coach and OC and just couldn't play defense and that was the problem...Are biggest issue of that era and possibly this new era was the choice of coaches..

He did. 

lol. He fired him after Manning was on his way out with four neck surgeries. All the one and done's with Dungy came from '02-'08. Why not fire Polian after '08? '09? 10?

I did answer the question. The Colts were not anymore unbalanced than any other champ team in the cap/FA era. But they had Manning and that killer O. That would be enough for most teams to win as their D was not garbage with Freeney and Matthias and Sanders.

You are wrong. Irsay never threatened to move the team, and I challenge you to provide a reputable source contradicting my statement.

Unless you live in Indiana don't tell me I'm wrong because I was a State Employee for many years and I knew what was taking place in the legislation.  You can believe what you want because I know what took place.  :popcorn:

Irsay needs to buy himself a PR rep to monitor him 24/7.

Yea mister playoff would have done better...

He was a superior coach but never and I repeat NEVER had a team and took some bad saints teams to the playoffs....Mora is the man! Way better than Dungy, Caldwell, or Pagano...

Unless you live in Indiana don't tell me I'm wrong because I was a State Employee for many years and I knew what was taking place in the legislation. You can believe what you want because I know what took place. :popcorn:

I do live in the Indy area, am a 10-year season ticket holder (and longer supporter) and, thus, followed the stadium issue closely. So, my challenge stands. You will not find any credible source quoting Irsay as saying he'd move the team to L.A. without a new stadium. He did express concern about his ability to field a competitive team without additional revenues.

lol. He fired him after Manning was on his way out with four neck surgeries. All the one and done's with Dungy came from '02-'08. Why not fire Polian after '08? '09? 10?

I did answer the question. The Colts were not anymore unbalanced than any other champ team in the cap/FA era. But they had Manning and that killer O. That would be enough for most teams to win as their D was not garbage with Freeney and Matthias and Sanders.

Why does it matter when he fired him? He decided at some point that he wanted to have his team built differently, and chose a different man to do so. For him to look back and reflect on what he thinks the shortcomings were is perfectly normal.

The Colts were unbalanced, were they not? Great offense, but deficient on defense and special teams. Just like Irsay said. He wants more balance, he wants a defense than can pick up the slack, and a special teams unit that can make things easier on both sides of the ball. Why is that so foreign of a concept?