Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

brown looked good.

Stephen

Just some interesting facts. I know this won't change minds that are entrenched either way and many factors change things from year to year, but:

Career facts unless noted otherwise:

Edgerrin James =yards per carry with the Colts only=4.2, yards per reception=8.0, fumbles per touch=1.3% and good pass blocker

Ahmad Bradshaw=career ypc=4.6 (4.5 with Colts), yards per reception=8.1, fumbles per touch=1.7% and good pass blocker

Joseph Addai=4.1 ypc, yards per reception=7.6, fumbles per touch=0.54% (not even 1%) and good pass blocker

Arian Foster=4.4 ypc, 9.0 yards per reception, fumbles per touch=1.0% and no opinion on his pass blocking

Donald Brown=4.2 ypc, 9.7 yards per reception, fumbles per touch= 0.019 (2 tenths of one per cent) and poor pass blocker

Brown is great with limited touches.  He is not a carry the load guy.  You need the barreling guys (Richardson, Ballard) to carry the load and use him for 4-6 carries a game and we will get one big run.  He is so fast, when the hole is there.  He wont get much when it is not. It's pretty simple with him.

When we stop looking at him as a first round pick and start looking at him for what he is, he will be viewed in a much better light.

Brown is great with limited touches.  He is not a carry the load guy.  You need the barreling guys (Richardson, Ballard) to carry the load and use him for 4-6 carries a game and we will get one big run.  He is so fast, when the hole is there.  He wont get much when it is not. It's pretty simple with him.

When we stop looking at him as a first round pick and start looking at him for what he is, he will be viewed in a much better light.

Good eval on Donald. If the hole is there, he gets more yards than most any RB we have had, but on the other hand, if the hole's not there he probably gets less than other RBs. This actually should work with the O line we have now, since they are good run blockers (not so good pass blockers). If DB gets 9 or 10 rushes per game (and honestly I think he could handle a larger load with the O line's good run blocking) and as many receptions as we can get to him, I think that's the answer.

Good eval on Donald. If the hole is there, he gets more yards than most any RB we have had, but on the other hand, if the hole's not there he probably gets less than other RBs. This actually should work with the O line we have now, since they are good run blockers (not so good pass blockers). If DB gets 9 or 10 rushes per game (and honestly I think he could handle a larger load with the O line's good run blocking) and as many receptions as we can get to him, I think that's the answer.

But they are not opening up those same holes for Trent. That's the point. Well that and I saw Trent run up someone's back when he could of popped over to the open hole. Brown and Trent ran completely different runs and formations so you can't say given the chance Brown could do the same. Cause the last 5 years has shown he can't. He gets stopped, then stopped, then stopped, then pops one.

But they are not opening up those same holes for Trent. That's the point. Well that and I saw Trent run up someone's back when he could of popped over to the open hole. Brown and Trent ran completely different runs and formations so you can't say given the chance Brown could do the same. Cause the last 5 years has shown he can't. He gets stopped, then stopped, then stopped, then pops one.

So how could they not be opening them same holes for Trent but opening up them same holes for BOTH Brown and Bradshaw? If you watch Richardson closely he lacks the patience on many of his runs and looks for contact and dont follow blockers when he should consistently

You make it seem like he had a lot of runs, he had 3, and most of the yardage came on that huge 50 yarder.

I think he's a good change of pace running back and I made that clear before, but let's not start saying that he's a good explosive running back. He has his moments every now and then but he's a 3rd stringer.

So I'll stick with my point before, he had a big run that really tipped the scale for the Colts, but that was about it for the Colts. Besides that, he has 2 rushes for 14 yards. 

And besides that issue Mrs. Lincoln, how was the rest of the play?

You make it seem like he had a lot of runs, he had 3, and most of the yardage came on that huge 50 yarder.

I think he's a good change of pace running back and I made that clear before, but let's not start saying that he's a good explosive running back. He has his moments every now and then but he's a 3rd stringer.

So I'll stick with my point before, he had a big run that really tipped the scale for the Colts, but that was about it for the Colts. Besides that, he has 2 rushes for 14 yards. 

And besides that issue Mrs. Lincoln, how was the rest of the play?

So seven yards a carry is not a good change of pace?

I would take 5 carries for 35 yards every game out of Brown.

We have been talking about brown the same way for 5 years.  He tends to break one decent run a game that "skews" his stats.  But if after 5 years he still does that, the stats are no longer skewed, they are what they are.  He has the home run ability.  He has the ability to take a run that would be 5 yards for any other back and turn it into 20-30 yards.  He also has the ability to take what would be a 5 yard run for any other back and turn it into 2 yards.

I think by that very definition he is a "Change of Pace" - or - "Complimentary" back.

Kevin Faulk made a nice career out of doing exactly this for the Patriots and I for one would love to keep Brown around in this role (Special Teams, 3rd down, change of pace back) for many more years.

3.9 lifetime per carry...though.....Colonel...

Its scares me a little

I understand that completely, and I will admit.. I expected to see more against the Jaguars but I'm not going to jump to conclusions just yet. I heard someone say that maybe he needs to lose some muscle in order to gain his explosiveness back. There could be some truth to that, and that would be something he would need to focus on in the offseason (remaking his body in order to be more explosive). Someone made the comparison to Marshawn Lynch in that regard, so while I do completely understand your worries, don't give up on him just yet!

So how could they not be opening them same holes for Trent but opening up them same holes for BOTH Brown and Bradshaw? If you watch Richardson closely he lacks the patience on many of his runs and looks for contact and dont follow blockers when he should consistently

Now I did see him miss some holes. But that one that brown busted open was huge. I haven't seen that for Trent. He does either a need the hole to develop more or have better vision. He did pop off a 12 yarder. Put it this way. Watch when Trent gets hit. Then watch when Brown does. Trent has to break multiple tackles to get 3-4 yards.

Bradshaw, he's just a beast who runs *! He's chasing after some fool who slapped his momma! Love how he runs angry. He has good wiggle and power with a nice burst. I underestimated him big time.

Yeah, Brown looked good...he was quick to the hole and quick getting through it.

He needs to get at least 1/3 of the carries going forward.

no

he needs no more than 4 or 5 touches a game.  even then, if bradshaw is healthy, he probably shouldn't even see that

Still Need Holes

Sunday was a wakeup call for all those that thought Trent Richardson would be the answer to the Colts running woes. Poor blocking up front forced the newly acquired running back to gain 46 of his 60 yards after contact. Donald Brown had the complete opposite day. On his three runs he saw two gaping holes. In the middle of the second quarter, on the only trap the Colts ran all day, Brown ran 20 yards in a straight line before he was even touched. It was still quite the display by Richardson though as he dragged defenders almost every play, he had just one run on which he didn’t gain any yards after contact.

Still Need Holes

Sunday was a wakeup call for all those that thought Trent Richardson would be the answer to the Colts running woes. Poor blocking up front forced the newly acquired running back to gain 46 of his 60 yards after contact. Donald Brown had the complete opposite day. On his three runs he saw two gaping holes. In the middle of the second quarter, on the only trap the Colts ran all day, Brown ran 20 yards in a straight line before he was even touched. It was still quite the display by Richardson though as he dragged defenders almost every play, he had just one run on which he didn’t gain any yards after contact.

Running woes? seriously? were 4th in the league in rushing yards per game and 33 rushing first downs(2nd in the league) . Luck only has 126 of our total 598 rushing yards(3rd).....I could counter that "poor blocking" by saying Richardson said it himself he wont try to avoid contact and he will continue to try to run through tackles on Total Access on NFL Network his rookie year

Yeah I think you're taking that statement the wrong way. 

I might be taking it a little to literal I admit but its not on purpose, I think he will do well eventually but I find it odd that the claim is that our O Line has opened up holes for both Brown and Bradshaw(who had no OTA's or TC or preseason to practice behind the O Line) but has not for Richardson all of a sudden

I might be taking it a little to literal I admit but its not on purpose, I think he will do well eventually but I find it odd that the claim is that our O Line has opened up holes for both Brown and Bradshaw(who had no OTA's or TC or preseason to practice behind the O Line) but has not for Richardson all of a sudden

Idk, that run blocking was pretty bad yesterday, tho the play calling was a little funky, we kept trying to attack the edges even tho it wasnt working and Richardson was getting stonewalled every time we tried to run up the gut, which we really didn't seem to do often. Plus, whenever Richardson was in our running formations always seemed painfully obvious. Throw in a draw or a run from a spread at some point or something because the heavy/power run formations always gave away what we were going to do. 

But honestly that blocking looked like the worst I've seen this season. Tho Richardson did miss a couple cut-back lanes.

no

he needs no more than 4 or 5 touches a game.  even then, if bradshaw is healthy, he probably shouldn't even see that

This is with Bradshaw out...and he could be out for a few weeks or more (with a bulging disc)...and worse case he goes the same way Peyton did.

Idk, that run blocking was pretty bad yesterday, tho the play calling was a little funky, we kept trying to attack the edges even tho it wasnt working and Richardson was getting stonewalled every time we tried to run up the gut, which we really didn't seem to do often. Plus, whenever Richardson was in our running formations always seemed painfully obvious. Throw in a draw or a run from a spread at some point or something because the heavy/power run formations always gave away what we were going to do. 

But honestly that blocking looked like the worst I've seen this season. Tho Richardson did miss a couple cut-back lanes.

Dont get me wrong I think he will get better and our run plays are obvious I agree sometimes, I think given some good coaching Richardson will get better but I think some see what he did at Bama and see where he got drafted and think great RB automatically because of it when the reality is that Bama O Line was elite by college standards and going 3rd in the draft was just simply to high for a Back like Richardson who relies more on power running then great vision, speed, agility like an Adrian Peterson, Heck I consider Doug Martin better then Richardson as an overall more polished runner and receiver at this point in his career and he went 31st in 2012. Richardson has the tools but he needs coached up some in my opinion

I have been known to bash Brown but we have two bruising and brawling type RB's on the team that gets the defense used to their speed and type of running, so when Brown gets touches, the defense is a little off balance when he goes bolting through a hole with his fresh legs and speed.

Give the guy 5 to 7 touches the way he is trying to prove himself with the effort he is putting in on the field. He is actually not going down after a guy gets a fingernail on him.