Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We won because we did not go away from what was working

chad72

In the Dolphins game (that I missed watching live on TV), the Colts were doing real well running the ball in the first half with Bradshaw. Then, they went away from it. Yesterday, we ran from 2 and 3 WR formations, very pleasant to watch and showed we did not need those 1 WR formations to run out of. That made me VERY HAPPY. :)

We did not go away from what was working. The 49ers, on the other hand, went away from running Frank Gore, who was hurting us in the first half, only 5 carries in the second half before the game went to a 2 score game.

Sometimes, teams get too cute and react in a knee jerk way to momentary stops on Gore or momentary stoppage of the run. Props to the coaching staff to continue pressing and coming with a win. To me, Andrew Luck can get away with playing an Alex Smith like role when Jim Harbaugh started with the 49ers. Take care of the ball, play good defense and control tempo by moving the chains with a good run game to help. However, Luck's ceiling is higher if you need him to hit that. That is how the 49ers started winning. Now, with Kaepernick, they thought he was a world beater of some sorts and he looked nowhere close to elite to me.

Plus, Bradshaw, you gotta love him. He loves to run vs the 49ers. The Giants ran rough shod over the 49ers in a 26-3 win at the 49ers a few years ago with Bradshaw leading the way with Harbaugh as coach. It must have been like deja vu for him. :)

Running the ball definitely worked against the 49'ers. But against a tough defense, it still worked. I think if we continue to run the ball more with Bradshaw and Richardson with a spritz of Donald Brown, we'll get the job done. I like it and it keeps Andrew upright.

Kaep just looked confused and timid out there. He looked like he wanted to run more but seemed afraid. Maybe his coaching staff told him to lay off the running so he had that in the back of his mind. Whatever it was, it sure didn't help his passing game. Our defenders were glued to the receivers the best that I have ever seen in a colts game. That contained Kaep 100%. Nobody to throw to, nowhere to run.

Running the ball definitely worked against the 49'ers. But against a tough defense, it still worked. I think if we continue to run the ball more with Bradshaw and Richardson with a spritz of Donald Brown, we'll get the job done. I like it and it keeps Andrew upright.

Kaep just looked confused and timid out there. He looked like he wanted to run more but seemed afraid. Maybe his coaching staff told him to lay off the running so he had that in the back of his mind. Whatever it was, it sure didn't help his passing game. Our defenders were glued to the receivers the best that I have ever seen in a colts game. That contained Kaep 100%. Nobody to throw to, nowhere to run.

Kaepernick and RG3 should lay off the "hey, I am Colin Kaepernick or hey, I am RG3 and I like to win" words in the commercials. Everyone knows that.

It is weird that the two most low key QBs in RW and AL are the ones continuing the winning right now at a consistent level with AL doing so with a less stacked team.

I loved that we stuck with the run as well and it was quite a contrast to last week.  Interesting that no one here is complaining about Pep being conservative this week.  This week he actually was conservative and we won easily.  Last week he abandoned the run and it ended up in a loss.  I noticed the same thing about the 49ers play calling and it looked identical to what we did last week and was equally as successful.

First, I owe Dustin an apology. SW1 was wrong about my fears about Bradshaw's foot surgeries. He was a monster yesterday moving the chains & keeping CK on the sidelines for so long. I also need to say that I was wrong to question HC Pagano's ability to motivate his players at the last press conference I saw prior to Sunday's game. The Colts D did not over pursue Niners WRs, gave CK nowhere to throw the ball, & did a superb job preserving gap control & lane integrity. Also, forget any mention of my wish to bring in either Rex Ryan or Ron Rivera as a new DC in the offseason. Clearly, our DC knows how to get the job done. 

Trent Richardson's TD was spectacular! Welcome to INDY & thanks for helping us win on the road in a hostile environment. I love watching Luck run for TDs too. He's so strong & deceptively fast on his feet too.

At one point we were called a "Finesse team", those days are long gone.  We are becoming bullies upfront on Offense and Defense. Interesting stat.  This year we are averaging over 130 yds a game rushing  :clap:

It's says a lot when the defense knows that we are going to run and we continue to run the ball down their throats

Watching the Colts put together 7 minute drives while they are ahead is a beautifull sight to behold.

That also made SanFran throw the ball a lot more I think, knowing they had to score fast to catch up.  Our first 3 drives in the second half were 10+ plays and the Luck touchdown took 7 minutes.

Yeah, I gotta admit even Donald had a few nice runs yesterday too. CK did appear to be dazed & confused. No argument there. Schooling the Niners on their own home turf means something. The Colts are not soft. We will punch you in the mouth now. SW1 likes it!