Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts of the coaching staff thus far?

bluephantom87

I will start off by saying I know it's early but a valid question because most feel like this is a more TALENTED team on paper than last years 11-5 pieced together squad. Now most are starting to feel like this is a 7-9 or 8-8 team after 2 games what gives? Coming into this season expectations were HIGH. A playoff win or maybe a division crown considering that the Colts also have the 3rd easiest schedule. (I know that's "flawed" because it's based on records from the previous year and all the subpar teams seem to be better. KC is 2-0 already) The Colts started 1-2 last year and could've easily been 0-3 (if not for the Vikings game) then went on a remarkable run after Chuck was lost with the oc (Bruce A) subbing as hc (earning COY honors), a rookie qb and skill players, a terrible o-line, and a bad defense that lacked the players to pull off the 3-4 scheme. Jaws (former SB qb now working for espn) pointed out last year how Luck put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses using that wr core with numerous "explosive" plays downfield and with a dominate o-line being the focus in the offseason their run game would get better but it would allow Luck (with a clean pocket) to shred defenses like Peyton, Brees, and Rogers because he has more upside than any of the young qbs. Pep has been debated enough but why did it take an injury for Thorton to get on the field as bad as the o-line has played? Bradshaw should be in on critical downs REGARDLESS of the 50-50 split with Brown. Everyone knows that the Colts weren't an 11-5 team on paper last year but the coaching staff catered to the talent at hand and utilized their strengths to produce WINS. Mac received a pass last year with the defense because he didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 scheme but 2 wks in a row the opposing qbs have looked like world beaters. Some say the Colts are lucky to be 1-1 instead of 0-2 and they haven't even begun to play the superior teams yet.

I'm not thrilled 1 bit. Our offensive and defensive philosophies don't seem to adjust to what's going on in the game, we always seem to play like we have a big lead, on offense and defense. Where's the urgency on offense? Where's the aggressiveness on D?

i think we basically have to rookies on the main 3 staff, but they we should be 2-0 right now the ref stole this game illegal shifting on a man in motion that is #@$@% but ole we i know how green bay feel after the ref constantly cheat them, we have a stretch  of games coming up that if we are lucky i mean very lucky we will be heading tot he bye week   3-4  with the texans next but ...the good news is that even if we come out the bye week 3-4 we have alot of winnable games down the stretch 9 games that i feel like we have a shot to win in each game so if we handle business we looking at another 11-5 or 10-6 yr wildcard berth  :goodluck:

I'm not thrilled 1 bit. Our offensive and defensive philosophies don't seem to adjust to what's going on in the game, we always seem to play like we have a big lead, on offense and defense. Where's the urgency on offense? Where's the aggressiveness on D?

man i know what u mean its like we play %^$ backward on off we play like we up 30 and on def we play like we down 30 instead of off playing like thier down and def understanding the situation playing to stop big play when it is time 

I will start off by saying I know it's early but a valid question because most feel like this is a more TALENTED team on paper than last years 11-5 pieced together squad. Now most are starting to feel like this is a 7-9 or 8-8 team after 2 games what gives? Coming into this season expectations were HIGH. A playoff win or maybe a division crown considering that the Colts also have the 3rd easiest schedule. (I know that's "flawed" because it's based on records from the previous year and all the subpar teams seem to be better. KC is 2-0 already) The Colts started 1-2 last year and could've easily been 0-3 (if not for the Vikings game) then went on a remarkable run after Chuck was lost with the oc (Bruce A) subbing as hc (earning COY honors), a rookie qb and skill players, a terrible o-line, and a bad defense that lacked the players to pull off the 3-4 scheme. Jaws (former SB qb now working for espn) pointed out last year how Luck put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses using that wr core with numerous "explosive" plays downfield and with a dominate o-line being the focus in the offseason their run game would get better but it would allow Luck (with a clean pocket) to shred defenses like Peyton, Brees, and Rogers because he has more upside than any of the young qbs. Pep has been debated enough but why did it take an injury for Thorton to get on the field as bad as the o-line has played? Bradshaw should be in on critical downs REGARDLESS of the 50-50 split with Brown. Everyone knows that the Colts weren't an 11-5 team on paper last year but the coaching staff catered to the talent at hand and utilized their strengths to produce WINS. Mac received a pass last year with the defense because he didn't have the personnel to run the 3-4 scheme but 2 wks in a row the opposing qbs have looked like world beaters. Some say the Colts are lucky to be 1-1 instead of 0-2 and they haven't even begun to play the superior teams yet.

It's definitely a more talented team on paper, it's hard to argue against that. However, I think a lot of people under-estimated how much the team over-achieved last year.

How many games were won on the last drive last season? How many of those wins could easily have been losses? At least 3 or 4. 

Like it or not, the Colts were VERY lucky to end up with an 11-5 record last season and they certainly weren't an 11-5 team on paper.

I'd say we were an 8-8 team on paper last season and I still maintain we're a 10-6 team this season, despite a bit of a rough start.

1.Defense is a puzzle since all the starters are experienced.Can Manusky coach defense?

2.Satele and McGlynn still hurt the offense.Not sure if the OL coach is the problem.

3.Loss of Ballard for the season, and early injuries affected the Miami game.

4.I like the new offense but it stunted the growth of the team because instead of fine tuning (little things like blitz pickups) the team has to learn a new offense.

5.Did having a lot of project players on defense (Adongo, Werner, McNary,Hughes) stunt the growth of the defense or is Manusky at fault? I am not sure.

6.Thought Chapman would make a difference by now but not sure if its coaching or he is overweight.

this isn't Madden. More "talent" doesn't always mean better production immeadiately. It takes time to gel. There are a lot of new faces and a whole new offensive scheme. Everyone needs to pump the brakes and relax.

Couldn't agree more. We'll be ok, lighten up doom & gloom thinkers. The only complaint I have is I see we are ranked 5th in the league in average yards per rush at 5.0 yds.per play. Might not be the greatest run stopping opponents we'll play, but it's the NFL & 5 yds. per play is not shabby. I hope we can run the ball more throughout the season & give Luck more time in the passing game via play action passes. 

Well, quality of competition does matter and a coach like Arians who goes for it a bit more does matter. Bills, Chiefs, Browns, Jags twice, and a less talented than this year Titans squad twice, lets face it, our schedule did work in our favor last year. Then, on all those critical 3rd downs in last year's Dolphins game, how many of those did Luck convert using 3 WR formations with pretty much slightly lesser talent on the OL front?

Just like blaming playcalling for everything is too sweeping a generalization and is short sighted, not giving a portion of the blame to playcalling would also be not calling it like it is, IMO. The odds of us winning close game after close game had to catch up to us and it did in the Dolphins game.  But if we keep any game close, we will stand a chance, IMO, and that is all you can ask for every Sunday, a chance to win it at the end and it is a W no matter how it is obtained.

Agree 100%!! Early or not I see a problem with this staff. Didn't like the Manusky hire in the 1st place but he got a free pass last year (understandable) because he didn't have the personnel for the scheme. His biggest knock was that his 3-4 was too vanilla and generated little pressure unless down but with Chuck as hc I figured that wouldn't be a problem. All I heard was how much bigger, more physical and aggressive they would be. Not seeing it or the fear factor. Even though they had 5 sacks Sunday (in spurts) the Colts in general have lacked pressure (against 1 subpar and 1 ok team) Tanny seemed to have all day compared to Luck. Before taking the hc job in Arizona Bruce was talking about the Colts going more no huddle this year keeping the defense on their heels and off balance because Luck and the offense could handle it. I think Bruce coached the team with a sense of urgency and got the MOST out of what he had. That defense last year was bad yet you never felt the Colts were out of a game except for a few times. Still don't like Pep's offense. Yes they need to rush the ball and their avg is up but our run game seems to have no flow within the game. The few times they throw the deep ball it seems like only 1 wr is downfield. I have a feeling Chuck will be conservative as hc because I remember the first 3 games last year with him at the helm they lost to the Jags and barely beat the Vikings after having leads and choosing to sit on the ball in the 2nd half. From what I'm seeing he will be content with close games and trying long field goals with a suspect kicker whose age is starting to catch up with his leg.

this isn't Madden. More "talent" doesn't always mean better production immeadiately. It takes time to gel. There are a lot of new faces and a whole new offensive scheme. Everyone needs to pump the brakes and relax.

I think last year had MORE new faces, rookies STARTING at key positions, a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes with less talent all the while flipping a 2-14 season into an 11-5 playoff berth team. Did I mention they also released a guy by the name of Peyton Manning. I know the schedule will play a part into this season but I see concerns about the staff. By the way it wasn't Madden last year either. The Dallas Cowboys make excuses the Colts win ball games! :number1:

^ This. Every team has growing pains. Especially with a rookie OC and a HC with less HC experience than our interim HC last year. Like it or not, the team is in rebuilding mode. They are still learning to work together and trying to find their identity.

I have faith in this team. I expect great things from them. I just don't expect it this year.

^ This. Every team has growing pains. Especially with a rookie OC and a HC with less HC experience than our interim HC last year. Like it or not, the team is in rebuilding mode. They are still learning to work together and trying to find their identity.

I have faith in this team. I expect great things from them. I just don't expect it this year.

I have bad feeling you might be right. I woefully underestimated how a new OC can change things, better or worse. Hopefully he finds a scheme that works well for the Colts. i hoping he's not on auto pilot, just waiting for his way to work.

I think last year had MORE new faces, rookies STARTING at key positions, a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes with less talent all the while flipping a 2-14 season into an 11-5 playoff berth team. Did I mention they also released a guy by the name of Peyton Manning. I know the schedule will play a part into this season but I see concerns about the staff. By the way it wasn't Madden last year either. The Dallas Cowboys make excuses the Colts win ball games! :number1:

That's a neat little motto. It doesn't change the fact that the team is still rebuilding.

That's a neat little motto. It doesn't change the fact that the team is still rebuilding.

:clap: Thanks jvan on the motto and yes they are still rebuilding but coaches play a part in that process too. I'm not saying we have bad coaches and that they can't get the job done I'm just a little leery at this point.

It's early but i have concerns.  I did not care for the offense when i seen it at camp and then during preseason.   I don't think we play to our strengths enough.  I hate the 1 WR formations, and we are averaging over 2 yards less a play out of that formation compared to ALL other sets.  We rank 5th in rushing but 19th in passing.  Last year it was reversed.  19th is too low for a player like Luck.  For comparison sakes, the Vikes under Ponder rank 20th.   Brady and the Pats are in there too, but he's throwing to a pretty awful WR unit right now who can't catch. The difference in offensive production in the first half compared to the 2nd is huge. Defenses are adjusting, and it would appear that for whatever reason, the Colt's simply aren't adjusting at all.  If they were, we wouldn't see such a huge difference in the numbers between halves.  I think the coaches have problems at times putting the best players on the field.  Havili overr Hilton in game 1.   Brown in on 4th down over Bradshaw.  Sorry, but that is dumb coaching anyway you slice it.  There is no excuse for it. You can't blame Brown for missing the block, he isn't a great blocker.   Blame the coaches for putting him in that position.

I don't have an opinion yet on Pagano.  Still too early.  But early signs are concerning there too.  He said he didn't even consider going for it on 4th and 1 Sunday in the first qtr because it was too early in the game.  Really coach?  Come on. I "think" he may be too conservative.  But need more evidence.

Manusky worries me and hes been fired twice already.

That's kind of misleading. The Niners were a train wreck under Singletary and Norv Turner made him the scapegoat in SD. I don't know how good he is, but I would let his past firings cloud the picture.

I know as fans you have the right to be critical of management and coaching but i still think it's rather early to have this thread imo. Maybe if we're midway through and we're under .500 this thread would be an appropriate thread, but still then it is limited.

I hope even if we don't make the playoffs we should stick with pagano for a few years. Give him time, it's really his 1st season tbh.

Honestly all the hate pep is done lol. But you guys think Luck is gonna just go through a sophomore slump? We made the playoffs last year and now everybody mostly me think we can do way way better. I'm starting to think that Luck making the playoff last year is not a good thing because now he has to worry about big expectations. I know Luck will be a great QB but he is in his second year regardless of all the FO FA we brought in to help protect him.