Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This guy has an interesting take on the Raiders game

Everyone

The play-calling did seem very "vanilla" on Sunday as the writer points out. I doubt that Pep Hamilton forgot how to run a sophisticated offense since joining the Colts, so maybe it was intentional. However, I was less concerned by the play-calling and more concerned by the play of the O-line. It was the same old story. Honestly, a lot of the vanilla plays getting small amounts of yardage did not look like it was the result of the Raiders knowing what was coming due to vanilla play-calling (perhaps it was part of it), but more that the O-line was just getting manhandled for 3/4 of the game. Granted, I will agree that some of those run formations are just too obvious.

I tend to think that pagano influence on the off and wanted to be a run first and def team is what is gonna hold us back he is way to conservative I still think back to that jags game he cost us trying to be conservative run 3 times punt and put it on the def instead of going for the first down like BA and putting the game away

So it is Pagano now, and not Pep?

Pep is learning that teams are evenly matched at this level that he cannot run it like he did at Stanford. So, he is going to have to improvize faster than he might want to. Luck and the second year players on offense can handle it, especially if they handled the big playbook of Arians. That is singularly the biggest impact Arians had IMO, the learning in the line of fire for Luck and all the rookies in Fleener, Hilton, Brazil, and Ballard last year.

I know what happened I think we got a lead pagano got conservative told pep run it and end the game.... In stead of step on the gas petal and keep scoring the thing is we should never finish a game with 26 runs and 23 passes when are str is passing we have one of the best qbs in te league but I think they are taking a step back this is how luck shoulda bin handled in yr 1 not yr2 luck is the franchise we didn't draft him

And cut peyton to be a run first team , pagano need to understand that passing is what wins in today's nfl thier is no team in the playoffs that run first ...... 23 passing attempt in a game with only 2 shots down the field when it was so obvious that the raiders was blitzing no screen passes no wr screens etc.... We didn't even try the raiders deep but 2 maybe 3 times and just let them doing it I mean it was like we was trying to hammer a nail on top of a nail , see them blitzing but keep running right to the blitz ..... Pep and pag we are a passing team just deal with it run when needed to keep def honest but we are passing. Team....

21 points on 7 possessions.  Taking away the 2 kneel downs at the end a total of 51 offensive plays.  That's efficiency I'll take any day.  They need more offensive plays but that's a fault of the bad defense not getting off the field.  I get that many think the run plays were too obvious but the running game also looked better than it has in years.  I also get that everyone wants to see more of TY.  Even with all the weeping and gnashing of teeth over his lack of playing time, he still was targeted more than any receiver not named Reggie (and surely no one has an issue with Reggie Wayne being the #1 option, right?)  DHB is a much better blocker than TY (just look at  his blocking on the Luck TD scramble.  If TY is in there instead Luck doesn't score) and that's why he's the #2 receiver on the depth chart.  The offense wasn't perfect but once Luck becomes better at recognizing the blitz and adjusting the offense looks damn near unstoppable.  I understand the frustration over the defense on Sunday but complaining about the offense is just baffling to me...

So it is Pagano now, and not Pep?

Pep is learning that teams are evenly matched at this level that he cannot run it like he did at Stanford. So, he is going to have to improvize faster than he might want to. Luck and the second year players on offense can handle it, especially if they handled the big playbook of Arians. That is singularly the biggest impact Arians had IMO, the learning in the line of fire for Luck and all the rookies in Fleener, Hilton, Brazil, and Ballard last year.

Maybe my eyes deceive me, but I thought the Colts ran it well.

I agree with this. I don't know what happened. Luck came out 8/8 then things just went downhill. Was Pep Hamilton still in pre-season mindset that the starters came out after the fist few series? :dunno:

Whatever the reason, it's gotta be fixed. They see what happens when Luck has the ball in his hands. He easily scored that TD to win the game. Put the ball in that mans hands then run the ball off the pass. Not run then pass. We're not that kind of team. And I believe Pagano is trying to turn us into his own vision of the Ravens and he needs to see that won't happen. On the other hand, it was Pep's first REAL NFL game so I'll cut him some slack. But that 6 OL formation is not gonna work against the 49ers or the other good defenses we play down the road. You can be sure of that. Guess we'll see what happens this week. Hopefully offense is more cleaned up

I know what happened I think we got a lead pagano got conservative told pep run it and end the game.... In stead of step on the gas petal and keep scoring the thing is we should never finish a game with 26 runs and 23 passes when are str is passing we have one of the best qbs in te league but I think they are taking a step back this is how luck shoulda bin handled in yr 1 not yr2 luck is the franchise we didn't draft him

And cut peyton to be a run first team , pagano need to understand that passing is what wins in today's nfl thier is no team in the playoffs that run first ...... 23 passing attempt in a game with only 2 shots down the field when it was so obvious that the raiders was blitzing no screen passes no wr screens etc.... We didn't even try the raiders deep but 2 maybe 3 times and just let them doing it I mean it was like we was trying to hammer a nail on top of a nail , see them blitzing but keep running right to the blitz ..... Pep and pag we are a passing team just deal with it run when needed to keep def honest but we are passing. Team....

If you adjust it for scrambles and sacks, the Colts attempted to throw it 32 times. And I wouldn't judge pep's philosophy after one game where the offense had 7 possessions.....after preseason people were complaining about the lack of a power running game.

Did you mean 26 runs and 27 passes since the 4 sacks were pass plays. It is hard to pass deep when teams blitz like the Raiders did. Luck and his receivers have got to respond better with short passes on the blitzes. On one play Fleener was wide open in the flat and it seems Luck did not see him which led to a sack.

we didn't get conservative Kravitz and Phil B. pointed out after we got up 14-0 till we were down 17-14 we called more pass plays than run plays. Like 17 to 9 pass to run plays or some figures close to that. I would agree we got predictable but this is also a rookie OC calling his first NFL like any rookie there will be growing pains. Also predictable does not equal conservative.

Also I don't think Pagano has much impact on down to down play calling of the offense he's not an offensive coach. I think he does things like say I want to go for it on fourth if we don't get it on third but leaves the play calling up to the OC that's why he has one. Notice when we are on offensive doesn't have one of those chart things with plays on it and I doubt he has the offense's play calls memorized to be calling it off the top if his head.

Another thing, once they saw defense struggling to get off the field.... we REALLY should've went into attack mode. If they wanna abuse our defense, let's abuse theirs. No way we should've blew that 14-0 lead the way we did

The flip side to that is an exhausted defense goes right back on the field if attack mode doesn't work. I don't think the colts were playing it safe anyway.....more a problem with execution imo.

The flip side to that is an exhausted defense goes right back on the field if attack mode doesn't work. I don't think the colts were playing it safe anyway.....more a problem with execution imo.

The attack mode would've worked. Raiders weren't good, we beat ourselves more so than them actually beating us

21 points on 7 possessions.  Taking away the 2 kneel downs at the end a total of 51 offensive plays.  That's efficiency I'll take any day.  They need more offensive plays but that's a fault of the bad defense not getting off the field.  I get that many think the run plays were too obvious but the running game also looked better than it has in years.  I also get that everyone wants to see more of TY.  Even with all the weeping and gnashing of teeth over his lack of playing time, he still was targeted more than any receiver not named Reggie (and surely no one has an issue with Reggie Wayne being the #1 option, right?)  DHB is a much better blocker than TY (just look at  his blocking on the Luck TD scramble.  If TY is in there instead Luck doesn't score) and that's why he's the #2 receiver on the depth chart.  The offense wasn't perfect but once Luck becomes better at recognizing the blitz and adjusting the offense looks darn near unstoppable.  I understand the frustration over the defense on Sunday but complaining about the offense is just baffling to me...

Thank you Dan. You put it in great perspective. Hopefully a few will GET the knowledge.

Can only weep for those who just don`t comprehend what it means to have Castonzo, Sateele, McGlynn playing, and that Andrew still has meaningful defficiencies that will take another season or two to master. Just part of it.

If you can`t get that... there is little hope for you. JMO

21 points on 7 possessions.  Taking away the 2 kneel downs at the end a total of 51 offensive plays.  That's efficiency I'll take any day.  They need more offensive plays but that's a fault of the bad defense not getting off the field.  I get that many think the run plays were too obvious but the running game also looked better than it has in years.  I also get that everyone wants to see more of TY.  Even with all the weeping and gnashing of teeth over his lack of playing time, he still was targeted more than any receiver not named Reggie (and surely no one has an issue with Reggie Wayne being the #1 option, right?)  DHB is a much better blocker than TY (just look at  his blocking on the Luck TD scramble.  If TY is in there instead Luck doesn't score) and that's why he's the #2 receiver on the depth chart.  The offense wasn't perfect but once Luck becomes better at recognizing the blitz and adjusting the offense looks darn near unstoppable.  I understand the frustration over the defense on Sunday but complaining about the offense is just baffling to me...

no its called scoring on every possession. That's efficiency.

In the 1st half we ran left using McGlynn to pull. A healthy Castonzo usually does his share of man handling as a run blocker.

Not so much Sunday. Maybe it was the matchup, maybe the knee.

McGlynn was just barely beating the FB to the hole resulting in primarily 3 yd gains. They went right mostly in the 2nd half with their pull plays.

One direction you have McGlynn just not quite quick enough to pull with good effect, running right he is not a solid run blocker.

PEP got some runs in game 1 to begin building a run game. He only has the Lineman Griggs & IRSAY gave him.

A sound beginning with what we have against as weak a team as we will see the next few weeks.

Our Veteran OL must now be ready for Miami & San Frans stout DLines/D`s.

After that we will anxiously await for a much needed personel change. Injury or post by-week? Or...

The only people more ignorant than Brad Wells on stampede blue are the posters.

Yeah, it sucks he is so fast on news.  I really need to stop going there and getting angry.  It bothers me when he calls out fans for things but never goes to a game.  BTW I am loving your avatars.  I keep stealing them and posting on facebook and reddit, so thanks!

we didn't get conservative Kravitz and Phil B. pointed out after we got up 14-0 till we were down 17-14 we called more pass plays than run plays. Like 17 to 9 pass to run plays or some figures close to that. I would agree we got predictable but this is also a rookie OC calling his first NFL like any rookie there will be growing pains. Also predictable does not equal conservative.

Also I don't think Pagano has much impact on down to down play calling of the offense he's not an offensive coach. I think he does things like say I want to go for it on fourth if we don't get it on third but leaves the play calling up to the OC that's why he has one. Notice when we are on offensive doesn't have one of those chart things with plays on it and I doubt he has the offense's play calls memorized to be calling it off the top if his head.

So if the head coach want to run he can't be like hey pep run the ball?

So if the head coach want to run he can't be like hey pep run the ball?

Can he sure do I think Pagano is a micro manger like that? No. Look Pep has been telling people since he got here he was going to run the ball so I don't think this should be such a shock. Also we still passed the ball almost twice as much as we ran it from the time we were up 14-0 till we were down 17-14 so no I don't think Pagano or Pep for that matter said just run the ball. I think it seemed like more running because its more running than we have grown used to in recent years but a little balance isn't bad especially if effective which it was the Colts ran for almost 100 yards from the backs and are sixth in the league in rushing at the moment while their QB got sacked four times as was rushed and hit on several other attempts at passing. One way to stop your QB from getting hit is an effective ground game.