Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

a draft question for you guys...

Okay, so if we don't get the #1 pick, but instead end up somewhere between the 2nd and 5th overall pick, do you think there's any chance we would draft Quinton Coples, DE from North Carolina (6'6", 285 lbs)? Do you think we could possibly not resign Robert Mathis (if he's asking for too much $) and target Coples to replace him? What do you think is the likelihood of this happening?

Okay, so if we don't get the #1 pick, but instead end up somewhere between the 2nd and 5th overall pick, do you think there's any chance we would draft Quinton Coples, DE from North Carolina (6'6", 285 lbs)? Do you think we could possibly not resign Robert Mathis (if he's asking for too much $) and target Coples to replace him? What do you think is the likelihood of this happening?

That's what Jerry Hughes is for and frankly Hughes is starting to show some signs of maybe coming around. I don't think we would take an end in the first round but I didn't think we would take a running back with our first pick in 2009 either.

Personally even with the #2-5 picks I'd prefer a trade back. However, if Coples proves he can be a legitimate every down DE and be effective both rushing the passer and in run support then I'd be all for it. Telegraphing our defense by the personnel we use is continuing to be a problem and this was pointed out numerous times on MNF and I said the same thing after week 1. If they went DE that high they'd have to let Mathis walk and if Hughes can get some additional playing time this year to prove he can at least be a backup then it's not too much of a stretch.

Personally even with the #2-5 picks I'd prefer a trade back. However, if Coples proves he can be a legitimate every down DE and be effective both rushing the passer and in run support then I'd be all for it. Telegraphing our defense by the personnel we use is continuing to be a problem and this was pointed out numerous times on MNF and I said the same thing after week 1. If they went DE that high they'd have to let Mathis walk and if Hughes can get some additional playing time this year to prove he can at least be a backup then it's not too much of a stretch.

I'd prefer the trade back in this scenario also, but I was thinking about it and it's an interesting situation... Mathis is an impact player, and despite the fact that our front office has expressed their desire to resign Wayne and Mathis, he could get some very high offers from other teams. Look at the contract Eric Weddle got this past offseason, and he's not even the caliber of impact player that Mathis is. If we franchise Wayne, and Mathis gets some ridiculous offers, we realistically might not be able to keep him. Losing him would create yet another glaring area of need for us. If we end up between #2-#5 (right where Couples is projected to go), I totally wouldn't be surprised to see us take him. We do seem to have an affinity for top notch DEs... Like I said, I'd rather we trade back too, but I think it's a realistic possibility that this scenario goes down.

We need a QB and Wide Receiver for the future so I think that the Colts would prefer to go that route. If the Value wasn't there at QB and WR, I think that they would go for a guy who could play DT or DE. Coples might fit that bill at 285.

Trading back would be our best bet considering that we are old at both WR and QB. And, we need could due for a edge rusher/DT.

I'm with Jason. If we can't get Luck, I think we should trade down and acquire more picks. We need help at multiple positions (WR, SS, CB, G), so I think our best option in that case would be to trade down and get more picks

I agree. A trade back would give the Colts much better value with more picks, especially in a draft that is stacked deep with talent at the very positions the Colts need to target. An early first round pick in the range of 2nd-5th overall could easily fetch a mid-1st rounder + 2nd rounder + 4th rounder AND another 1st or 2nd round pick in 2013.

The Colts can use that mid 1st round pick to draft a bulwark DT/NT (Brandon Thompson / Alameda Ta'amu) or a top-shelf CB (Dre Kirkpatrick / Alfonzo Dennard / Morris Claiborne) or a stud LB (Zach Brown / Luke Kuechly / Manti Teo). I don't include the elite 1st round wideouts because this draft will be loaded with so many high caliber receivers that the team can afford to pass on the consensus top 3 (Alshon Jeffery / Justin Blackmon / Michale Floyd) and still get a good future WR1 in the 2nd or 3rd round.

The Colts' early 2nd round pick will offer the best opportunity for a 'steal' if the team is open to taking BPA. In every draft, at least one or more solid 1st round prospects get pushed into the 2nd round through no fault of their own -- usually due to an early run on QBs, WRs, OTs, and DTs. It would't surprise me if a less glamorous first-round talent like OG Cordy Glenn, OT Andrew Datko, or DT Josh Chapman falls into the Colts' lap in the early 2nd.

With the other 2nd round pick acquired in the trade-down, I hope the Colts target a promising but underrated QB like Ryan Tannehill or Robert Griffin, or else select one of the top remaining WRs (Toon, Broyles, Fuller, Sanu, Criner.)

The team can use its two 3rd round picks to draft a SS and whatever other position of need that was not addressed in the fist two rounds.

I would love to see the Colts use its fourth rounder as a luxury pick to draft a big, strong, fast TE who excels at both receiving AND blocking. That almost sounds like a mythical creature.

Rounds 5-6-7 can be used to bolster depth on both sides of the ball and upgrade Special Teams. Am I asking too much? :beg:

Alshon Jeffery, if not trade down and stockpile more picks

I really want to see the Colts put emphasis on defense in this draft with a very good DT. If we can re-sign Mathis and get another DT early we could have a very good D line next year. Drake Nevis has looked good so far.

Then SS, CB, LB all have holes. . I dont know if Bullitt will be back, We have no solid depth after Powers and Lacey and we are thin at line backer.

Even if we do have the first pick we should should trade it. We can get a solid QB in the middle of the 1st to the early 2nd round, that i wouldn't feel bad about sitting behind Manning for 3-4 years. That would alow us to improve all of our area of needs and get a QB for the future like Foles. If the the colts don't get the 1st then Couples would be a decent pick. I still think that Jerry Hughes would be a good situational pass rusher from the OLB position but not so much for Mathis's replacement.

If the Colts have zero ability to draft Luck you need to trade down and pick up picks. There is very little chance any other No. 1 pick we could get would make that much of a difference next year. We need to clean up and clear out some bodies with a fresh new approach and you do this with more picks. I think with the new CBA we could pick up some nice later round picks by moving down.

Even if we do have the first pick we should should trade it. We can get a solid QB in the middle of the 1st to the early 2nd round, that i wouldn't feel bad about sitting behind Manning for 3-4 years. That would alow us to improve all of our area of needs and get a QB for the future like Foles. If the the colts don't get the 1st then Couples would be a decent pick. I still think that Jerry Hughes would be a good situational pass rusher from the OLB position but not so much for Mathis's replacement.

So you pass on greatness for "solid"? If you have the number 1 overall pick you take Luck and move on.

You will have your answer in March. If they resign Mathis, then I would rule out the DE with an early first round pick. If they let him walk, then a DE would be in play.

I think they would be looking for Safeties and Cornerbacks before anything else with high(er) draft picks. But that's just my opinion, of course we will take a QB in this draft though, I can almost guarantee that a 2nd round pick I think is where we snag a QB..mark my words I am going to go to Vegas on this one! Can you bet on that in Vegas anyway?

If only one could bet on anothers stupidity we could all be rich!

I think they would be looking for Safeties and Cornerbacks before anything else with high(er) draft picks. But that's just my opinion, of course we will take a QB in this draft though, I can almost guarantee that a 2nd round pick I think is where we snag a QB..mark my words I am going to go to Vegas on this one! Can you bet on that in Vegas anyway?

If only one could bet on anothers stupidity we could all be rich!

There are very vew safeties and CB that I would ever consider taking with a high first round pick. Those picks need to go towards "key" positions like QB, RB, WR, LT or maybe defensive front line guy. You get your CB and S in the middle to later rounds.

So you pass on greatness for "solid"? If you have the number 1 overall pick you take Luck and move on.

It all depends on how much longer Manning can play or not? I'm predicting 3 to 4 years but if they decide it's only one or zero then yes i would take Luck. How do you know that Luck will come out of college and be great?? I think Luck could good be a good QB like Eli/Rivers/flacco/Ryan and so on. But predicting somebody to be elite like Manning/Brady/Breez and Rodgers is simply impossible.

It all depends on how much longer Manning can play or not? I'm predicting 3 to 4 years but if they decide it's only one or zero then yes i would take Luck. How do you know that Luck will come out of college and be great?? I think Luck could good be a good QB like Eli/Rivers/flacco/Ryan and so on. But predicting somebody to be elite like Manning/Brady/Breez and Rodgers is simply impossible.

*coughAGREEDcough*

:D

The nice thing is that this draft is really loaded. There is a lot of talent all through the first round, and at virtually every position. I'm not really wanting to draft Luck, I just think the timing is wrong. I'm sure he'll be tremendous, but I don't think the Colts' situation is right for that pick right now.

I'd definitely be in favor of trading out of the top 5 and getting as many picks as we can. There are at least 3 guys at each of the Colts' positions of need that have first round talent. You want better O-line? Kalil, Reiff, Martin. You want better D-line? Coples, Thompson, Crick, Ta'amu. Defensive backs? Claiborne, Jenkins, Kirkpatrick. Wide Receivers? Jeffery, Floyd, Blackmon. Linebackers? Burfict, Te'o, Keuchly, Brown. The talent in this draft in just ridiculous, and that's why I've been adamant about the Colts trading down from whatever pick they get to acquire as many picks as possible.

What would you rather have? One guy who will be very good, or 5 guys who will be very good? Luck may develop into the next best thing, he may not. But the more picks you have, the better chance you have of getting them right. If they all go right, then you've got one STACKED team.

This may be a quarterback's league, but we've seen possibly the greatest QB to ever play win one single championship because the rest of his team wasn't up to his standard, and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. All of you who say "you take Luck and be happy" are not grasping the concept that it's still a TEAM game. The best TEAM wins. This year provides an incredible chance to maximize our draft by getting as many picks as we can and building the entire team while welcoming back Peyton Manning for another 4 years.

Trade down, draft best player available, or draft for need because this draft is really good, and have great talent all over the field.

I think the 'winning' philosophy in the NFL is "Have a great QB" and "Get after the opponents QB with 4 or less" ... If you have and can do those things you can win games with very mediocre talent at all the other positions...

If Luck is there you have to take him for the future.... If not I think pass rush is a great place to focus...

All of you who say "you take Luck and be happy" are not grasping the concept that it's still a TEAM game. The best TEAM wins. This year provides an incredible chance to maximize our draft by getting as many picks as we can and building the entire team while welcoming back Peyton Manning for another 4 years.

Trade down, draft best player available, or draft for need because this draft is really good, and have great talent all over the field.

Fortunately...or at least hopefully....we'll know enough about Peyton's future by Draft Day, because your premise is fine provided Manning is available for 4 more years.

If that timeline has become unrealistic...which none of us know yet...then I'd want Luck. And under that scenario the rookie salary cap would afford us much more opportunity to play in free agency and fortify the roster that way in addition to the draft.

The thing that has to be seriously pursued in the future is a VERY balanced offense and overall roster...that being one where if the QB goes down with injury, the offense can still be relied upon for a legitimate and consistent rushing attack and a defense that isn't designed to protect a lead that the injured QB primarily provides. In that regard....you hit the nail on the head because we are learning that Manning's contribution to the Colts is relied upon at a stunningly high level for a team sport with a 53 man roster.

It's one thing to rely that heavily on one superstar in basketball....with only 10-12 guys on the roster.

In the NFL....you just can't.

I would rather take Jared Crick or a great center unnamed yet. If we draft a position like Oline in the 1st rd then the 1st rd player cant zap as much money from the team as a wr or a qb with a big ego. Polian knows what hes doing and for the buuilding of the teams future foundation we need to finish building that O line first of all and then look at filling in the needs such as a DT that has some freaking meat. Maybe there is a CB out there that we can nab that will help a lot. As far qbs for the future I like the qb from Cinn and I like the qb from Mich state and Boise State also. Im all for drafting saturdays replacement at Center 1st rd!!!

I would rather take Jared Crick or a great center unnamed yet. If we draft a position like Oline in the 1st rd then the 1st rd player cant zap as much money from the team as a wr or a qb with a big ego. Polian knows what hes doing and for the buuilding of the teams future foundation we need to finish building that O line first of all and then look at filling in the needs such as a DT that has some freaking meat. Maybe there is a CB out there that we can nab that will help a lot. As far qbs for the future I like the qb from Cinn and I like the qb from Mich state and Boise State also. Im all for drafting saturdays replacement at Center 1st rd!!!

You realize that the top rated C's are projected as 2nd round overall prospects right? Granted this could change, but traditionally C isn't a position that makes it into the first round. In the last 2 years, only 3 Centers have been taken in the first 50 picks and 2 of those had last name Pouncey. Unless Ijalana's injury prevents him from playing next year or Castonzo sustains an injury that would keep him out next year then I don't see us going OL in the first round. Quality G/C can be found in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

First off, let me say I agree with Jason that C's can be had much later in the draft. Secondly, no matter what you, I, or anybody else thinks about it, we already have our replacement for Saturday. His name is Mike Pollack, Polian has already stated he will take over at center once Saturday is gone.

First off, let me say I agree with Jason that C's can be had much later in the draft. Secondly, no matter what you, I, or anybody else thinks about it, we already have our replacement for Saturday. His name is Mike Pollack, Polian has already stated he will take over at center once Saturday is gone.

That would mean we go for a top rated guard probably in round 2 then??? For a change, I would like us to play free agency for a good guard instead of relying on Diem to be injury free for the RG position. Who knows, maybe Peter Konz of Wisconsin, a highly rated center, can play OG??? That is always a practical possibility

That would mean we go for a top rated guard probably in round 2 then??? For a change, I would like us to play free agency for a good guard instead of relying on Diem to be injury free for the RG position. Who knows, maybe Peter Konz of Wisconsin, a highly rated center, can play OG??? That is always a practical possibility

Yeah, if they have n o intention of bringing Diem back then I could see them drafting a guard, but im not sure it would be that high. I personally think that Costanzo, Reitz, Pollack, and Ijalana is a pretty good line, we just need to insert another decent/good guy for the RG spot.

Yeah, if they have n o intention of bringing Diem back then I could see them drafting a guard, but im not sure it would be that high. I personally think that Costanzo, Reitz, Pollack, and Ijalana is a pretty good line, we just need to insert another decent/good guy for the RG spot.

If we can manage to generate 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, we can get a quality prospect with that 4th pick :). O-line, you get what you pay for, most of the time, w.r.t draft position and talent.

Answering the OP -- I don't the Colts would use it on him. There probably going to resign Mathis to a longterm deal, but if they decide to get rid of him. That's what Jerry Hughes is there for. He's a mini clone of Mathis (obviously not as good), and if anything he's the replacement. Quinton Coples is good, but we won't pick him.