Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Handwritting on the Wall for Ijalana

atapcl

With McGlynn being replaced by Lickenbach in the game Saturday it is looking more and more like Ijalana will be cut. The numbers dictate that we can keep about 8-9 OL. Costonzo, Thomas, Satele, McGlynn, Cherilus. Thornton, Holmes and Lickenbach would be 8. If we keep a ninth I believe it will be a battle between Cleary and Reitz.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only keeping 8 O-lineman would be insanity. I'm pretty sure that Ijalana has been primarily working at tackle so far this yr., so I'm not sure Link starting at guard has any bearing what so ever on Ijalana's future. With that said, it won't surprise me at all to see him cut.

Only keeping 8 O-lineman would be insanity. I'm pretty sure that Ijalana has been primarily working at tackle so far this yr., so I'm not sure Link starting at guard has any bearing what so ever on Ijalana's future. With that said, it won't surprise me at all to see him cut.

Since he's been coming in with the third string unit his odds aren't good. Could it be possible the coaches know what he gives them and want to see more of the others? Meaning, he already is ahead of them?

I know, wishful thinking. It could have been worse, we could have drafted Carimi or Sherrod.

With McGlynn being replaced by Lickenbach in the game Saturday it is looking more and more like Ijalana will be cut. The numbers dictate that we can keep about 8-9 OL. Costonzo, Thomas, Satele, McGlynn, Cherilus. Thornton, Holmes and Lickenbach would be 8. If we keep a ninth I believe it will be a battle between Cleary and Reitz.

I thought Ijalana would be a back up tackle, not a guard.  Why is McGlynn being replaced?  Is it because he's no good?  If so, maybe he's on the hot seat?

Since he's been coming in with the third string unit his odds aren't good. Could it be possible the coaches know what he gives them and want to see more of the others? Meaning, he already is ahead of them?

I know, wishful thinking. It could have been worse, we could have drafted Carimi or Sherrod.

Anything's possible I suppose and IMO we need tackle depth desperately. Sowell is absolutely terrible and the only other options are Ijalana and Cleary and Cleary seems to be on the radar as a backup guard if he's kept. Reitz could also be an option but it certainly isn't one I'm comfortable with.

I tried to study the O-line a bit during my Giants game rewind session. It seemed to me that the left side has all the depth. I watched Ijalana when he was in and thought he played very well. Another player that seemed to play well was Lee Ziemba (Reitz too). Maybe the current order of play is a true account of their standing, I don't know. I'll have to wait and see like everyone else.

Also, they had Linkenbach in as an inside TE on those run heavy 2 Back/2 TE formations. They didn't gain squat when they ran those. Not blaming Link, but he didn't look like he got anything accomplished.  

QB-2

RB-3

FB-1

TE-3

WR-5

OL-9

DL-6

LB-8

CB-6

S -4

SP-3

TOT=50

Do we keep another TE with Fleener so fragile? Do we Keep Williams at RB since Brown and Bradshaw miss games? The DL is in my opinion a deeper position so do we cut a good DL to keep a poorer OL? What about Harnish at QB? With only 3 positions left it would be difficult to keep another OL.

It may be that Link, Cleary, and Reitz are more versatile than Ijalana.

QB-2

RB-3

FB-1

TE-3

WR-5

OL-9

DL-6

LB-8

CB-6

S -4

SP-3

TOT=50

Do we keep another TE with Fleener so fragile? Do we Keep Williams at RB since Brown and Bradshaw miss games? The DL is in my opinion a deeper position so do we cut a good DL to keep a poorer OL? What about Harnish at QB? With only 3 positions left it would be difficult to keep another OL.

I think your DL estimate is pretty low. That would only be leaving 1 backup for each spot. We keep at least 9 D-lineman IMO.

I thought Ijalana would be a back up tackle, not a guard.  Why is McGlynn being replaced?  Is it because he's no good?  If so, maybe he's on the hot seat?

McGlynn is just being replaced for this preseason game since he bruised a bone. He should start the regular season.

QB-2

RB-3

FB-1

TE-3

WR-5

OL-9

DL-6

LB-8

CB-6

S -4

SP-3

TOT=50

Maybe 5 CB's ? But 9 to 10 OL for sure.

I think your DL estimate is pretty low. That would only be leaving 1 backup for each spot. We keep at least 9 D-lineman IMO.

I agree. 6 would be the minimum. We have enough talent to keep 9 but with a 53 man roster it becomes a numbers game.

How you figuring 2 for each spot would be 9 ? We're running a 3-4 .. no. ?    7 .. 8 at the most would be my guess.

I agree. 6 would be the minimum. We have enough talent to keep 9 but with a 53 man roster it becomes a numbers game.

I think your pretty close every where else. I see 9 O-lineman and a bare minimum of 8 D-lineman. I would sacrifice a LBer from your list before I would sacrifice the trenches.

How you figuring 2 for each spot would be 9 ? We're running a 3-4 .. no. ?    7 .. 8 at the most would be my guess.

Exactly 3 starters. 2 backups for each spot on the line equals 9. 

Starter-1     Starter-2     Starter-3

Backup-4    Backup-5    Backup-6

Backup-7     Backup-8    Backup-9

Does not seem like the coaches think so since he has played so little in the preseason.

What does him not playing much have to do with him being versatile or not?

The only way he would see the other spots would be in case of an injury, which we have lucky avoided thus far.

I don't think his lack of PT has anything to do with whether he is versatile or not.

QB-2

RB-3

FB-1

TE-3

WR-5

OL-9

DL-6

LB-8

CB-6

S -4

SP-3

TOT=50

Harnish no doubt will be PS. You have 3 SP , are you counting a holder there. We really only need 2 for Special teams. The Balt guy coud be the 5th WR and also is a return man. Even if you keep Williams for returns and another RB . 

So you have 4 spots for Williiams , another TE and Ol and Dl additions. So I think you could see 10 O Lineman.

Personally I would keep 9.

We have 2 pure NTs (Chapman and Franklin) and 3 players who can play both DT and NT in case of an emergency (Hughes, Heard and RJF) 

Ideally for me it would be:

DE: Redding, Guy, Heard

NT: Chapman, Franklin (Hughes, RJF, Heard)

DT: RJF, Nevis, Hughes, Moala

What does him not playing much have to do with him being versatile or not?

The only way he would see the other spots would be in case of an injury, which we have lucky avoided thus far.

I don't think his lack of PT has anything to do with whether he is versatile or not.

It just seems to me the coaches like Reitz, Cleary, and Ijalana more than Ijalana. I believe the way they have played in the preseason is an indication of how the coaches feel about the group. If Ijalana had stood out to the coaches more maybe he would be starting at G this next game instead of Link.

Harnish no doubt will be PS. You have 3 SP , are you counting a holder there. We really only need 2 for Special teams. The Balt guy coud be the 5th WR and also is a return man. Even if you keep Williams for returns and another RB . 

So you have 4 spots for Williiams , another TE and Ol and Dl additions. So I think you could see 10 O Lineman.

Punter, Kicker, and Longsnapper.If we keep Williams, a TE and a DL that takes up the last 3 spots.

It just seems to me the coaches like Reitz, Cleary, and Ijalana more than Ijalana. I believe the way they have played in the preseason is an indication of how the coaches feel about the group. If Ijalana had stood out to the coaches more maybe he would be starting at G this next game instead of Link.

Oh, I'm not debating whether he should be starting or not or playing over someone else. I've seen too little to draw a judgement. Just stating that he is also pretty versatile.

Oh, I'm not debating whether he should be starting or not or playing over someone else. I've seen too little to draw a judgement. Just stating that he is also pretty versatile.

Link has played 4 positions, Reitz has started at G in the regular season and he has played at T this preseason. Ijalana has only played T with little experience.

Exactly 3 starters. 2 backups for each spot on the line equals 9. 

Starter-1     Starter-2     Starter-3

Backup-4    Backup-5    Backup-6

Backup-7     Backup-8    Backup-9

Sorry blazer , I misread your post. I thought you were saying you need one back up for each spot... which you clearly didn't.

However I'm not sure you need to be 3 deep at every spot. Especially considering you have 2-3 guys that can play NT or DE. No question that 9 DL are among our 53 best players , but I doubt we carry 9.

I'm thinking Chapman, Franklin , Redding , RJF , Nevis , Moala , and Hughes. If they think Hughes is too green , the we go with 8 as another guy makes it. I don't think 9 would be the case. 

Personally I would keep 9.

We have 2 pure NTs (Chapman and Franklin) and 3 players who can play both DT and NT in case of an emergency (Hughes, Heard and RJF) 

Ideally for me it would be:

DE: Redding, Guy, Heard

NT: Chapman, Franklin (Hughes, RJF, Heard)

DT: RJF, Nevis, Hughes, Moala

My thinking is that Nevis hasn't made it through a whole season yet, Moala is coming off a major injury, and Redding seems to get injured every other game. I don't like the idea of keeping less than 8.

I think your pretty close every where else. I see 9 O-lineman and a bare minimum of 8 D-lineman. I would sacrifice a LBer from your list before I would sacrifice the trenches.

LBs are needed for special teams so we will probably need 8.

Link has played 4 positions, Reitz has started at G in the regular season and he has played at T this preseason. Ijalana has only played T with little experience.

He was a RT in college and played a little LT in his rookie year where he was pretty good. People also say that he can play guard if he was forced into the role because of injury. Whether he can or not remains to be seen (i personally believe he can)

My main point was that Ijalana is capable of playing both T spots (pretty solid at both actually (in the little I've seen) as opposed to Link who can be bad at 4 spots.) and possibly a little guard. He's just as versatile as Reitz so whoever wins the roster spot wont be determined solely on versatility.

Sorry blazer , I misread your post. I thought you were saying you need one back up for each spot... which you clearly didn't.

However I'm not sure you need to be 3 deep at every spot. Especially considering you have 2-3 guys that can play NT or DE. No question that 9 DL are among our 53 best players , but I doubt we carry 9.

I'm thinking Chapman, Franklin , Redding , RJF , Nevis , Moala , and Hughes. If they think Hughes is too green , the we go with 8 as another guy makes it. I don't think 9 would be the case. 

3 deep at every position may be overkill, but I still wouldn't go with less than 8. Like I explained to Dustin, we have several guys with an injury history. They have been preaching that the trenches are a point of emphasis and keeping as much talent as possible in those areas is worth the sacrifice at other positions IMO.

h is raw and it is probably going to take him a year to catch on. Tevesau and Matthews will make a team somewhere. I hate if we have to cut a good DL to keep a bad OL.

Punter, Kicker, and Longsnapper.If we keep Williams, a TE and a DL that takes up the last 3 spots.

3 deep at every position may be overkill, but I still wouldn't go with less than 8. Like I explained to Dustin, we have several guys with an injury history. They have been preaching that the trenches are a point of emphasis and keeping as much talent as possible in those areas is worth the sacrifice at other positions IMO.

yea... I can't argue that 7 would be rolling the dice as Hughes is unproven and you have 3 guys with a history of being injured. Plus I'm sure they want to protect Hughes and that could complicate matters a bit.