Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else notice?

YOUR GM

"And people need to understand that the issues I'm bringing up are from a purely talent standpoint. I'm not talking about miscommunications or blown assignments that usually come with acclimating new starters on a line. I'm talking about players just getting beat, one-on-one because they either lack the strength, technique or agility required to match up against the man across from them."

I love how it's automatically assumed someone is panicking when they simply voice their observations. I'm not saying it's definitely going to continue to be a problem going forward, but Sunday wasn't a good showing by the starters, in my opinion

I love how it's automatically assumed that someone thinks that I think their panicking. I just said chillax. You were the one who assumed, not me.

That the pass protection in our first preseason game was at it's best on Hasselbeck's scoring drive, when our 2nd string line was playing their 1st string D-line?

In my opinion, pass protection looks to still be an issue for the starting line. Even if you eliminate the botched snap cadence from Luck that made Costanzo look bad, he still had a very sub-par day in pass protection, in my opinion. He kept getting beat with swim moves to the inside and was bull rushed into Luck, forcing a couple of hurries. McGlynn was bullrushed quite a bit as well. And I believe Satele and Cherilus whiffed on a couple of blocks. The only starter who looked decent in pass protection was Donal Thomas, IMO

I wasn't aware that all the #1 starters were out there. 

Kind of amazed at the overreaction on Castanzo based on one play. And no do not tell me it was the same case last year, Castanzo was the ONLY offensive linemen to not only stay healthy, but the only one to have a positive ratio according to PFF. Check the stats.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Whilst I will certainly not judge the starting line based on their limited playing time, I had my doubts about these guys before the game, and what they did was not reassuring to me. The interior did not seem like it was holding up at all.

From a pure talent standpoint, McGlynn and Satele continue to not be good enough, and Castonzo continues to underwhelm given the love for him by Colts fans.

Things will hopefully improve, but this is still the most concerning unit for me throughout the team. No team is perfect though.

Guys it's ok to point out which players aren't doing well, there's no reason to try to defend and argue clear cut poor performances. Pointing out flaws doesn't mean we're over analyzing or not true colts fans, it just means we think certain players need to pick up the slack in order for the team to play to the great potential we all know they have.

Cherilus and especially Thomas looked like studs and I was pretty impressed by satele's performance.

But I have to agree with OP, Castonzo looked bad. In just 2 short drives he got bullrushed, he got beat off a swim move, he missed 2 blitzers during a draw play, he looked lost. Idk how you can argue he played well just because there were no sacks. Mcglynn looks like he picked up where he left off last year, still weak and still can't handle blitz pickups up the middle.

Guys it's ok to point out which players aren't doing well, there's no reason to try to defend and argue clear cut poor performances. Pointing out flaws doesn't mean we're over analyzing or not true colts fans, it just means we think certain players need to pick up the slack in order for the team to play to the great potential we all know they have.

Cherilus and especially Thomas looked like studs and I was pretty impressed by satele's performance.

But I have to agree with OP, Castonzo looked bad. In just 2 short drives he got bullrushed, he got beat off a swim move, he missed 2 blitzers during a draw play, he looked lost. Idk how you can argue he played well just because there were no sacks. Mcglynn looks like he picked up where he left off last year, still weak and still can't handle blitz pickups up the middle.

That draw play you speak of very much appeared to be by design. If you look at Ballard on that play he gets the ball as expected on time but does not make a move right away. he waits for both Mario Williams and the Interior Linebacker to rush upfield , Castonzo peels out (by design) to get up field as a lead blocker on the play for Ballard all the while leaving the interior linebacker for Luck to try to redirect and Williams (who got caught watching the snap of the ball instead of keeping his eyes focused on the running back ON THE WAY to the QB leaving him completely out of position to make a play...That was by design) completely out of position to make a play because his thought process was evident...SICK UM(The QB)! As a matter of fact Nigel Bradham made a good play at the tail end forcing Ballard to get towards the sideline otherwise Ballard had a lead blocker and daylight just a couple more yards upfield