Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Not Overreact

Legend of Luck

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good first game.  We seemed to move to third teamers pretty dang quickly, which probably accounts for why the game got out of hand.  We gave our traditional rat's patootie about winning the preseason game.  On D we had no pass rush, but anyone who blames Mathis probably didn't realize the Bills ran almost the whole first drive and he was on the bench after the second drive.  Werner was held out...who do you think is gonna do the pass rushing against the first team OL?

Why? Those Peyton led teams regularly lost the majority of their preseason games. It isn't an indicator of regular season success.

I know. You would just like to see a little better performance down the depth chart and special teams. I know the preseason isn't the predictor of the entire season. 

I know. You would just like to see a little better performance down the depth chart and special teams. I know the preseason isn't the predictor of the entire season.

Kinda the point though. We always lost in the preseason, and always competed strongly in the regular season. "Showing depth" is overrated. I prefer for fringe guys to get embarrassed. Keeps them from getting comfortable. The 1's all looked fine. Not much to worry about honestly.

Kinda the point though. We always lost in the preseason, and always competed strongly in the regular season. "Showing depth" is overrated. I prefer for fringe guys to get embarrassed. Keeps them from getting comfortable. The 1's all looked fine. Not much to worry about honestly.

You're probably right. It's a slow night in Baltimore, and I thought I'd chime in. What's the deal with the O-line people are talking about ? 

Luck already came out and said that the sack was on him. You can watch the play, and see that Luck mistimed the snap. Luck took ownership of that mistake. Its not on castonzo.

I know Luck said that sack was on him but I still don't see how.  Luck never saw it coming.  Maybe he called the wrong play or something. 

When you get killed by a team named after Buffalo Bill even in preseason, the curtain may be falling ! LOL

Please dont use "LOL" its to be used by pre-pubescent middle class kids and the lazy. Something you as a baltimore ravens fan should be able to understand considering thats 60% of your fanbase, the other 40% are bitter middle aged men waiting to die like there parents dreams of the Colts moving back. Cant wait for your team to move out of baltimore as well. Now im done.

You're probably right. It's a slow night in Baltimore, and I thought I'd chime in. What's the deal with the O-line people are talking about ?

haha I dunno maybe there is something to worry about, but Peyton conditioned me to not care about preseason. Who knows.

It's just turmoil over the O line. One of those issues that everyone has "the right answer" to solve. So when it doesn't look good, people get fussy.

I thought they looked okay, Luck had a clean pocket for the most part, but you can painfully tell they have no chemistry together. Still finding their way.

Please dont use "LOL" its to be used by pre-pubescent middle class kids and the lazy. Something you as a baltimore ravens fan should be able to understand considering thats 60% of your fanbase, the other 40% are bitter middle aged men waiting to die like there parents dreams of the Colts moving back. Cant wait for your team to move out of baltimore as well. Now im done.

Feel better now?

I use "Lol" all the time :(

I don't feel prepubescent or lazy.........:(

I use "Lol" all the time :(

I don't feel prepubescent or lazy.........:(

Thats ok man, your not a Ravens fan so youre good by me.

Ravens fans have been terribly rude and inconsiderate to me and my family as colts fans. So thats why ive decided to be rude and incosiderate to ravens "fans" who take time out of their day to come to a colts fan forum.

You're done alright. Apparently you were the winner of the 1970's Floppy Hat night giveaway ! LOL  LOL LOL LOL ,,,,LOL

I dont get that...Unless it was a 'tap' hike. Because apparently the the center knew what was up.........

What made you think the center knew what was up??

The replay showed Luck pulling away and there was no ball...   looked like he had to reach back to fully get it....   the whole play looked completely out of synch...

Luck took full responsibility for it in an interview he did.....

Now, most of my fellow Colt's fans here have taken this first preseason game realistically. However, I have seen many people overreacting, even throwing insults at eachother and the team, so I wanted to chime in and shed some light on the situation.

1. Our first team Offense and Defense clearly outplayed their first team. When we took Matt H. out of the game we were up and in firm control. It wasnt until after our starters left the game that things changed. Chandler clearly isnt ready, even though he looked good in camp.

2. If not for 2 untimely and bad plays from Fleener, we could have been ahead by 3 touchdowns. Yes, bad plays happen, but its week one of preseason. The end of the second week of camp. We have so much room to grow. Let's get these bad plays out of the way now so that we can learn from them and find what to fix, so that when it counts, it wont happen again.

3. Look at all the other really good teams that lost this week in preseason. Atlanta lost to Cinci 34-10, San Fran lost to Denver 6-10 (Not to mention Peyton only completed 2 passes), Green Bay lost to Arizona 0-17. But no one is panicking about those teams.

4. The year we won the superbowl we went 1-3 in preseason. The only win came in week 3, when we traditionally play our starters more. 

We are going to be fine. Luck looked great, Hilton looked great. our 0-line didnt show any glaring weaknesses, Ballard ran well. We're gonna be FINE.

You forgot my man Donald Brown !!!

Luck already came out and said that the sack was on him. You can watch the play, and see that Luck mistimed the snap. Luck took ownership of that mistake. Its not on castonzo.

I thought Satele snapped it early.......looking for confirmation. I only saw the play when it happened, no replay. Am I wrong?

You know the Ravens. The team that had won 2 Super Bowls since 1996 , while the Colts have won one since 1984, one in 41 years of Irsay ownership. The Jaguars , the great city they picked over Baltimore for expansion. That worked out great , right Taglibue ?

Oh yeah, the Ravens, who use to be the Browns, have won 2 Super Bowls since 1967.

Thats ok man, your not a Ravens fan so youre good by me.

Ravens fans have been terribly rude and inconsiderate to me and my family as colts fans. So thats why ive decided to be rude and incosiderate to ravens "fans" who take time out of their day to come to a colts fan forum.

I'll pass the word to Raven's fans to personally come on the Colts Forum so they can be treated to the witty barbs of Deathitis, Darthvader, or whatever. The insults just bounce off our Lombardi trophies. 

Yes, because it's the same franchise....the same franchise your hero Ozzie Newsome played for.

You're joking , right ? You do know the Browns records, Hall of Famers, and Championships stayed in Cleveland ? The Ravens began in 1996 as a franchise, while the new Browns history is combined with the old Brown's history. That is why Johnathan Ogden is not in the Hall of Fame with Jim Brown and Otto Graham. He should be in there with Art Donovan, and others, but that is another story. And yes, Ozzie is one of my heros. 

You're joking , right ? You do know the Browns records, Hall of Famers, and Championships stayed in Cleveland ? The Ravens began in 1996 as a franchise, while the new Browns history is combined with the old Brown's history. That is why Johnathan Ogden is not in the Hall of Fame with Jim Brown and Otto Graham. He should be in there with Art Donovan, and others, but that is another story. And yes, Ozzie is one of my heros.

So? That franchise in Cleveland didn't earn any of that stuff. History is history....it cant be sold or traded or given away.

I wish the Colts had played better, made fewer mistakes, and not given up so many points. I always say that even the most lopsided game can usually be traced back to a handful of plays that could have gone one way or the other -- missed tackles, dropped passes, batted balls, missed assignments, etc. 

We did seem to get the first line out of the game quickly, more quickly than I thought we would, considering the new faces and the new offense. The second string played okay, and the third stringers looked like third stringers.

I think the defensive front played well, outside of the first two plays of the game. Not a lot of pass rush, but not a lot of opportunities from the first and second line. And the Bills were playing at a pretty accelerated pace, and throwing the ball pretty quickly against our backup secondary.

The offensive line seemed out of sync, and lost a few battles, but there was some power and good technique in there also. McGlynn looked fine. Satele, below average. 

Lots of missed tackles and overrun assignments on special teams, and virtually no blocking in the return game. Of course, we were without a lot of our best special teamers, especially in coverage. 

Like the thread title says, let's not overreact. But it is kind of disappointing that we made so many mistakes, including our first and second team players.

The Ravens aren't the same franchise as the Browns. They kept all the old records and the Ravens started basically as an expansion franchise in 1996. Cleveland was out of the NFL for three years, but their current history is continuous with the old Brown's history of Paul Brown, Otto Graham, and Jim Brown. It is true that we got the Browns, their owner, front office, and players in 1996, but unlike the Colts move from Baltimore, all records, history, and colors remained in Cleveland. So follow this. The stuff Cleveland earned has stayed in Cleveland, while the stuff earned in Baltimore went to Indy. I don't want to get into the ownership/franchise stuff, but because of the Baltimore to Indy move, the NFL forced Modell to keep the Brown's records, colors, and history in Cleveland. It was the right move in an unfortunate situation. Trust me, I do feel bad for what Cleveland went through. 

The Ravens aren't the same franchise as the Browns. They kept all the old records and the Ravens started basically as an expansion franchise in 1996. Cleveland was out of the NFL for three years, but their current history is continuous with the old Brown's history of Paul Brown, Otto Graham, and Jim Brown. It is true that we got the Browns, their owner, front office, and players in 1996, but unlike the Colts move from Baltimore, all records, history, and colors remained in Cleveland. So follow this. The stuff Cleveland earned has stayed in Cleveland, while the stuff earned in Baltimore went to Indy. I don't want to get into the ownership/franchise stuff, but because of the Baltimore to Indy move, the NFL forced Modell to keep the Brown's records, colors, and history in Cleveland. It was the right move in an unfortunate situation. Trust me, I do feel bad for what Cleveland went through. 

Really this stuff again?  Sorry, and even if you didn't bring it up you are keeping it going, this has nothing to do with people over reacting or not over reacting to what happened to the Colts today. 

So besides the owner, front office people and all the players, it was a completely different franchise? Lol. Who cares about about where the records and stuff are. All those things were earned by the same franchise that is the Baltimore Ravens.

Really this stuff again?  Sorry, and even if you didn't bring it up you are keeping it going, this has nothing to do with people over reacting or not over reacting to what happened to the Colts today. 

Just clearing up some possible misinformation. This may keep people from over reacting if they don't think about the Bills game. 

So besides the owner, front office people and all the players, it was a completely different franchise? Lol. Who cares about about where the records and stuff are. All those things were earned by the same franchise that is the Baltimore Ravens.

Many people in Baltimore care where those records and stuff are. I don't want to get farther off the topic, but suffice to say it is not one continuous franchise. If it was, Baltimore would have reversed the 27-0 NFL Championship loss to the Browns, and gotten credit for the win through the takeover of the Browns. Maybe if the Ravens took over the Jets, we'd would finally win Super Bowl 3 !

Many people in Baltimore care where those records and stuff are. I don't want to get farther off the topic, but suffice to say it is not one continuous franchise. If it was, Baltimore would have reversed the 27-0 NFL Championship loss to the Browns, and gotten credit for the win through the takeover of the Browns. Maybe if the Ravens took over the Jets, we'd would finally win Super Bowl 3 !

I will say it one more time.....history can't be bought or sold, traded or given away.

I will say it one more time.....history can't be bought or sold, traded or given away.

I wish that was true. Unfortunately, the NFL and Hall of fame took all of the history from Baltimore and gave it to another city. I had no problem with the team and owner leaving, I just like to see a clean historical break, with history, records and logos remaining intact in the city that was left behind. That happened in Cleveland, but not in Baltimore, Houston, or Los Angeles. I'm glad that Indy has a team, but would have preferred them coming up with a different name with their own history. Anyway, that is all water under the bridge now. 

I wish that was true. Unfortunately, the NFL and Hall of fame took all of the history from Baltimore and gave it to another city. I had no problem with the team and owner leaving, I just like to see a clean historical break, with history, records and logos remaining intact in the city that was left behind. That happened in Cleveland, but not in Baltimore, Houston, or Los Angeles. I'm glad that Indy has a team, but would have preferred them coming up with a different name with their own history. Anyway, that is all water under the bridge now.

Oh good god..... Because Baltimore didn't own it....the Colts franchise did.

Why do I waste my time?

You must not have heard that Luck caused that all by himself.   A cadence error by him had much of the line getting off slowly while Mario was shot out of a cannon.    He goes on first movement.

That was on Luck,  not Castanzo.     Sorry.

Agreed.  I watched the play frame by frame and the only other player that moved when Luck did was McGlynn.  The other 9 offensive players remained completely still.  

My 2 biggest questions about that play:

-Luck admitted he messed up...he moved before anyone else...except for McGlynn.  How did McGlynn get on Luck's page when Luck himself was on the wrong page? lol

-How was there no penalty called?  Either McGlynn or Luck could have been called for False Start.  Despite the miscommunication between the offensive players, Luck still should not have had to have taken that hit because the play should have been whistled dead.

We've been over this no they didn't your city settled with the Colts in a Court of Law over it.  Also the city of Indianapolis had nothing to do with it, it was up to the Colts and Bob Irsay wanted to keep his franchise that he bought and paid for.  That's his right it was his property.  It doesn't mean Baltimore can't celebrate what the Colts did in their city, frankly I don't think anyone in Indianapolis really cares and the Colts haven't stopped the city of Baltimore from honoring old Colts in the past to the point they let old Colts players wear Baltimore Colts jackets that were flipped around to say Baltimore Ravens jackets when the Ravens played their first game in Baltimore, they have a statue of Johnny U with a Colts helmet on his head outside of the stadium, and they let the Marching Baltimore Colts keep their name and uniforms for as long as they wanted.  Had the Colts wanted to stop any of that they could have because like it or not Jim Irsay owns the trade mark on the Colts name but he elected not too.  I think you need ask your current owner why he doesn't do more to honor the Colts in Baltimore if you don't think enough is being done.  Now can we please get back on topic?

Oh good god..... Because Baltimore didn't own it....the Colts franchise did.

Why do I waste my time?

OK, but you said the Ravens were the same franchise as the Browns , they aren't. They are two seperate franchises. Technically, the Colts are one franchise dating back to the Baltimore days. Modell did own both franchises, the Browns and the Ravens, but per agreement with the NFL, the Browns would get an expansion team in three years, be the historical continuation of the Brown's franchise, and have a new owner Lehrner. Because of this agreement, although Modell was still the owner, he became the new owner of basically an expansion franchise Baltimore Ravens, with seperate historical records from Cleveland. 

Bob Irsay took the Colts franchise from Baltimore to Indianapolis, and took all the logos, history, and records . That is the difference.