Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill C's Game 1 Thoughts

Dark Superman

I didn't understand playing Luck only half of the first quarter....    makes no sense to me.

Turns out there was at least one, if not two other drives for the Colts in that Q.

We have a new offense.   Feel free to let the first team play one whole quarter against another NFL team to get some sense of the new offense. 

What a concept!    :slaphead:        :facepalm:

Griggs and Pagano wanted to look at the players who are on the bubble. Having the whole starting unit on the field normally don't happen till week 3. Griggs only has two weeks to make the hard choices as to who stays and who goes. He cant make the cuts without taking closer looks at those players. Griggs will also be busy watching players who are cut from other teams. The starters are pretty much set, it is the bench that needs to addressed. Who should this preseason be any different than any other year?

The thing about Chapman I like is he never seems to go backwards.  He either stacks up the line or moves it backwards. I remember one play where he blasted two offensive lineman and then make the tackle on the RB.  It was late in 4th quarter.

that play was late in the 3rd quarter, not 4th. :)  I recorded the game and am watching it now.  I'm about 2 minutes into the 4th quarter and that play happened a little while ago.  Very impressive play though.  Chapman took on their OG/C and went through them to tackle the RB.  Great looking play. :)

**edit...just realized it's very possible chapman may have done that multiple times in this game and we were just talking about different instances. :D

I'll have to rewatch it. He didn't get in until the 4th, right? I'll take your word that he did good. I thought Tavaseu looked pretty good.

Our backup DBs are horrible.

I can't remember if I saw Chapman in the 2nd but I definitely saw him a few times in the 3rd.

that play was late in the 3rd quarter, not 4th. :)  I recorded the game and am watching it now.  I'm about 2 minutes into the 4th quarter and that play happened a little while ago.  Very impressive play though.  Chapman took on their OG/C and went through them to tackle the RB.  Great looking play. :)

I can't remember if I saw Chapman in the 2nd but I definitely saw him a few times in the 3rd.

If you're watching it, you probably see Tevaseu in before Chapman in the 2nd, right?

Griggs and Pagano wanted to look at the players who are on the bubble. Having the whole starting unit on the field normally don't happen till week 3. Griggs only has two weeks to make the hard choices as to who stays and who goes. He cant make the cuts without taking closer looks at those players. Griggs will also be busy watching players who are cut from other teams. The starters are pretty much set, it is the bench that needs to addressed. Who should this preseason be any different than any other year?

I'm only talking about the first quarter, not the first half.

And teams play their starters for much more than the first quarter in week 2 of the pre-season.   I wouldn't be surprised to see a quarter and a half if not the entire first half. 

And I want to stress again,  with a new offense,  these guys need reps.   

Giving them another half of the first quarter today wasn't going to mess up anything from a coaching or player perspective....

i don't recall seeing Tevaseu at all in the second.  I would swear I saw Chapman in before Tevaseu but I could very well be wrong.

Yeah, I just went back and watched it. Tevaseu started the 2nd Q. Chapman didnt play in the 2nd as far as I can tell.

Chapman was an immovable object

He did well on most plays but there were a few times he got driven off the ball. I'm sure he'll only get better with more expereince.

I saw our d-line cutting their o-line on a few different plays. Correct me if I'm wrong but our d-line hasn't done much of that in the past.

I'm only talking about the first quarter, not the first half.

And teams play their starters for much more than the first quarter in week 2 of the pre-season.   I wouldn't be surprised to see a quarter and a half if not the entire first half. 

And I want to stress again,  with a new offense,  these guys need reps.   

Giving them another half of the first quarter today wasn't going to mess up anything from a coaching or player perspective....

All of the players who are slotted to be starters were not ready to start in this game. There were at least 3 or 4 players on both sides of the ball who were held out or injured. With the amount of new players the coaches have to look at the players who are available. I agree that the players need the reps but that includes all of the players not just the starters. It's kind of impossible to get the starters reps when they are not ready to go. The depth players are just as important as much as the starters. All of us arm chair QBs and GMs think we know how to do things. As well as things went last season I feel like the GM and coaches know what they are doing. How do you know what the coaches were going to be looking at and how long players should play? The coaches see them in practice and on film everyday. They have more of an idea on who they need to work and look at than you or me. The Colts were not interested in putting a team out in this game to win. That was pretty obvious. Pagano's statement after the game said he seen a lot of things he was looking for. There are 3 more games to be played but till all of the starters are ready keeping them out there only opens up the stress of injuries. So far we have been a lot more luckier than quite a few other teams in that regard. Keeping them healthy and fresh is important. 

**edit...just realized it's very possible chapman may have done that multiple times in this game and we were just talking about different instances. :D

And as a matter of fact Chapman did make a similar play towards the end of the 4th quarter as well...around the 3:35 mark.  :)

How do you know what the coaches were going to be looking at and how long players should play? The coaches see them in practice and on film everyday. They have more of an idea on who they need to work and look at than you or me.

The Colts were not interested in putting a team out in this game to win. That was pretty obvious.

Two answers to two points you raised....     I'll take the 2nd one first....

I think the Colts, and all teams frankly, are always interested in putting a team out to win a game.   I don't think anything is obvious.    But sometimes -- especially in preseason games -- things get out of hand quickly.   Such is the nature of playing 2nd and especially 3rd/4th string players.    Stuff happens.     But coaches care.

As to the first point,  if no one is allowed to do any Monday Morning Quarterbacking,  well then,  this website is going to lose about 90% of its daily traffic.    That's what fans do.    I'm a fan voicing an opinion.   That's all.    I would've liked to have seen the first team offense play the full first quarter.     That's all.

Could I be wrong?!     Heck yes!    And often am.... 

It's just my opinion.....   you're free to agree, or in this case,  disagree with it as much as you like.   That's why we're all here.   To support our favorite team and voice our opinions.

Peace.......

Two answers to two points you raised....     I'll take the 2nd one first....

I think the Colts, and all teams frankly, are always interested in putting a team out to win a game.   I don't think anything is obvious.    But sometimes -- especially in preseason games -- things get out of hand quickly.   Such is the nature of playing 2nd and especially 3rd/4th string players.    Stuff happens.     But coaches care.

As to the first point,  if no one is allowed to do any Monday Morning Quarterbacking,  well then,  this website is going to lose about 90% of its daily traffic.    That's what fans do.    I'm a fan voicing an opinion.   That's all.    I would've liked to have seen the first team offense play the full first quarter.     That's all.

Could I be wrong?!     Heck yes!    And often am.... 

It's just my opinion.....   you're free to agree, or in this case,  disagree with it as much as you like.   That's why we're all here.   To support our favorite team and voice our opinions.

Peace.......

No problem on this end, just a debate that was worth the time on both sides. Later, peace be with you also.

Not too much from what I expected. With all the spots open and our starters not entirely set yet, I expected most players that are starters to play minimum minutes while the 3rd/4th stringers played 90% of the game. I wasn't quite expecting the beating we did get though.

My observation is just that we looked a tad rusty. Not unusual in a pre-season game, especially the first game. I'm not worried. Positive that Chuck will get the mistakes fixed as we narrow down our roster. Game 3 will be the telling game. Till then, no need to panic.

Ok I only saw the first half then wife wanted to go out.  Baby was with his grandparents so it had been a little while since we had been out anywhere.  

Anyways here are things I noticed.  

1: Hasselback's arm strength.  He had a nice pass downfield to Hilton.  But all of the other throws the ball seemed to me to be more of a floaters.  He never looked like he put those short passes on a rope and got them to the receiver with some zip.

2. Special teams needs to be cleaned up badly.

3. Fleener looks like he improved, but that fumble was bad.  I'm hoping that his pass catching and getting open are the true him and the fumble was just a fluke.

4. A little concerning that DHB didn't seem to do much.

I don't remember seeing much from Bjorn Werner. . . I presume he was on 2nd team.  How did he do?

one thing I noticed yesterday was that Buffalo had little to no success running up the middle. All their success was on broken  plays and to the outside. That is a huge improvement on years past.

and yes Buffalo ran for 136 yards but it was on 40 carries. That's a 3.4 ypc average. I'll take that average all day every day